PDA

View Full Version : Torain Injured

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2008, 10:51 AM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/ryan.torain.injury.2.789086.html

Broncos RB Torain Injured In Blocking Drill

DENVER (CBS4) ― Broncos rookie running back Ryan Torain was carted off the field during the team's 9-on-7 run-blocking period at practice Wednesday morning.

He was knocked off balance while carrying the ball and put his left hand on the ground to regain his balance.

He immediately collapsed on the turf grasping his left shoulder. Broncos head trainer Steve Antonopolus helped Torain walk to the sideline and tended to him for about 10 minutes before calling a cart to ferry the tailback off the field.

Torain, a 5th-round draft pick out of Arizona State, has been one of the stars of training camp. This injury likely means that he will miss the preseason opener in Houston on Saturday.

Northman
08-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Thats not good. Lets hope Selvin holds up.

Buff
08-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Well, that gives Alridge the opening he's been waiting for. I was really hoping Torain would emerge as a good goalline and short yardage back though. Let's hope it's not too serious (though anytime the cart is involved, it doesn't look good).

LoyalSoldier
08-06-2008, 10:56 AM
It sounds like a dislocated shoulder or something. It might not be too bad or it could be really bad.

Let's hope for the former over the latter.

tubby
08-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Hyper extended elbow. Probably out the first preseason game.

Rex
08-06-2008, 11:08 AM

he will be fine

NightTrainLayne
08-06-2008, 11:09 AM

Is this patented Tubby optimism, or did you actually hear this somewhere.

If it's just a hyper-extended elbow, then no big deal.

tubby
08-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Is this patented Tubby optimism, or did you actually hear this somewhere.

If it's just a hyper-extended elbow, then no big deal.

I heard it on the radio. I think. :D

claymore
08-06-2008, 11:45 AM
he will be fine
What the hell does a proctologist know about Elbows? You stay out of this CS.

slim
08-06-2008, 11:47 AM
What the hell does a proctologist know about Elbows? You stay out of this CS.

He is only a proctologist in his spare time. He is a chiropractor by trade.

Rex
08-06-2008, 11:56 AM

Shut up.

GEM
08-06-2008, 11:57 AM

I thought Bief was the proctologist? :confused:

Rex
08-06-2008, 11:58 AM
I thought Bief was the proctologist? :confused:

Slim would not know. His blood sugar dropped below 600 and he is getting confused. He wont be normal until he eats an entire turkey and a large pizza.

LRtagger
08-06-2008, 12:02 PM
:mad::mad::mad:

Ziggy
08-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Out 4-6 weeks with a broken bone in his elbow.

underrated29
08-06-2008, 12:39 PM

SERIOUSLY, wow that sucks. I guess he will still be ready for regular season....maybe. But he could still be sore from it ro something.

Damn i really wanted to see him this friday when i go to tc and i really wanted to see him in preseason.

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

drewloc
08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Well that's not good news, I was hoping he would get some preseason time before he had to do it for real. Hopefully it isn't a injury trend. I have liked what I heard about Torain in camp so far.

Ziggy
08-06-2008, 12:42 PM
SERIOUSLY, wow that sucks. I guess he will still be ready for regular season....maybe. But he could still be sore from it ro something.

Damn i really wanted to see him this friday when i go to tc and i really wanted to see him in preseason.

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Yeah, when I went on Monday, he was impressive. He runs with more authority by far than the rest of our backs.

Italianmobstr7
08-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Wow, that sucks. out 6-8 weeks with a broken bone in his elbow. So much for a bulldozer inside the red zone. I hope that the weight Young put on is enough to pound into the end zone. That or just give the rock to Hillis!

nevcraw
08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
2-3 months per the DP.

NightTrainLayne
08-06-2008, 12:47 PM

Fiddlesticks!

Italianmobstr7
08-06-2008, 12:49 PM

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

He's out 6-8 weeks, not 4-6. He won't quite be ready for the regular season, unfortunately. Really sucks because I was hearing good things, but all we can do now is wish him a speedy recovery.

PatricktheDookie
08-06-2008, 01:18 PM
PuP list is my best guess.

See ya' in week 8, Ryan.

NightTrainLayne
08-06-2008, 01:19 PM

See ya' in week 8, Ryan.

I think it's week 6, but good point. This would open up a roster spot to try out somebody else if needed.

Italianmobstr7
08-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I think it's week 6, but good point. This would open up a roster spot to try out somebody else if needed.

I don't know if he'll go on PUP. If he heals quick and is back in 5 weeks, that's week 2 of the regular season instead of Week 6. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

underrated29
08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
There is no way pittman gets cut now.

young
hall
pittman -and goaline
aldridge

hillis
sapp

then of course when ryan comes back, we are going to have to either dump a wr,rb,te,s as i dont think after 8 weeks aldridge will make it through waivers to the PS.

lex
08-06-2008, 01:43 PM
I had nothing to do with this.

turftoad
08-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I had nothing to do with this.

Sure Lex. :D

BTW, this sucks. I was hoping to see him sooner than later.

PatricktheDookie
08-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Early reports are that Torain will go on IR.

Damn.

red98
08-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Damn.

Really? That sucks.

If that's true I guess they will be bringing in another RB soon.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2008, 02:00 PM

Broncos Torain Out 6-8 Weeks, Broken Elbow

DENVER (CBS4) ― Broncos rookie running back Ryan Torain is expected to be out 6-8 weeks with a broken bone in his elbow, head coach Mike Shanahan said Wednesday morning.

Torain was carted off the field during the team's 9-on-7 run-blocking period at practice earlier in the morning. Shanahan said the broken bone is where the radius meets the elbow.

Torain was knocked off balance while carrying the ball and put his left hand on the ground to regain his balance. He was hit by linebackers Nate Webster and Jamie Winborn.

Torain immediately collapsed on the turf grasping his left arm. Broncos head trainer Steve Antonopolus helped Torain walk to the sideline and tended to him for about 10 minutes before calling a cart to ferry the tailback off the field.

Torain, a 5th-round draft pick out of Arizona State, has been one of the stars of training camp.

Shanahan said Torain had a chance to compete for the starting tailback job and his injury is a big loss despite the fact he's a rookie

Shanahan said he hopes there isn't too much ligament damage to Torain's elbow because that would slow down his recovery.

slim
08-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Well that's just great.

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 02:18 PM

same thing:laugh::laugh:

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 02:26 PM

Broncos Torain Out 6-8 Weeks, Broken Elbow

DENVER (CBS4) ― Broncos rookie running back Ryan Torain is expected to be out 6-8 weeks with a broken bone in his elbow, head coach Mike Shanahan said Wednesday morning.

Torain was carted off the field during the team's 9-on-7 run-blocking period at practice earlier in the morning. Shanahan said the broken bone is where the radius meets the elbow.

Torain was knocked off balance while carrying the ball and put his left hand on the ground to regain his balance. He was hit by linebackers Nate Webster and Jamie Winborn.

Torain immediately collapsed on the turf grasping his left arm. Broncos head trainer Steve Antonopolus helped Torain walk to the sideline and tended to him for about 10 minutes before calling a cart to ferry the tailback off the field.

Torain, a 5th-round draft pick out of Arizona State, has been one of the stars of training camp.

Shanahan said Torain had a chance to compete for the starting tailback job and his injury is a big loss despite the fact he's a rookie

Shanahan said he hopes there isn't too much ligament damage to Torain's elbow because that would slow down his recovery.

Well lets hope that it is not a total loss..

I do not think you can go on the PUP list IF you have reported and have played/practiced.. Think that only applies to someone like fatso that comes in 20 pounds overweight or injured and not yet healed..

Since it is his Left arm and not his right arm then that is a positive and let hope there is no ligament damage..

Give the foot that much more time to heal and not be aggravated..

Of course 4-6 week also means another week or so to get into playing condition also..

turftoad
08-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Really? That sucks.

If that's true I guess they will be bringing in another RB soon.

Maybe we'll give that dude Travis Henry a try. :D

turftoad
08-06-2008, 02:33 PM

See ya' in week 8, Ryan.

I don't think so.

He could be ready by week 3 or 4 at the latest.

NorthernLights
08-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Sorry to hear about this guys and gals. I hate this part of the game.

Hope he comes back stronger than before and has a great career.

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Sorry to hear about this guys and gals. I hate this part of the game.

Hope he comes back stronger than before and has a great career.

classy nice post from a BOLT fan..:salute:

dogfish
08-06-2008, 03:19 PM
too bad. . . he had injury problems in college-- hope this isn't a precursor of what his pro career will be like. . . .

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 03:23 PM
too bad. . . he had injury problems in college-- hope this isn't a precursor of what his pro career will be like. . . .

this sounded like when he put his arm out to stabilize himself two LBs went in and fell on the arm..

I suspect that would be few folks that could withstand that kind of punishment..

BeefStew25
08-06-2008, 03:23 PM
I know he looks good, but in the end, he is still just a rookie.

I bet you guys wish we still had Shimmy on the roster.

Retired_Member_001
08-06-2008, 03:27 PM
A broken Elbow is a nasty injury. I hope this doesn't effect how he plays during the season. When a guy breaks a bone, it's not his fault. It's just bad luck. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery because we are going to need him.

Den21vsBal19
08-06-2008, 03:29 PM
this sounded like when he put his arm out to stabilize himself two LBs went in and fell on the arm..

I suspect that would be few folks that could withstand that kind of punishment..
Kind of freak injury we seem to be making a habit of............ever since TD's knee we seem to pick up 1 or 2 a year

NightTrainLayne
08-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Damn.

WTF, these things are always all over the map.

From a hyper-extended elbow to 2-4 weeks, 4-8 weeks, PUP, and now IR.

Shanny shouldn't have made that comment that this is the best RB depth we've had since he's been here.

Italianmobstr7
08-06-2008, 03:46 PM

Shanny shouldn't have made that comment that this is the best RB depth we've had since he's been here.

Well it is.... It's a 6-8 week injury. There's NO talk of him being on PUP or IR from anyone official. It's all specualtion among members. Even without Torrain we still have Young, Hall, Aldridge, Pittman, Sapp, and Hillis. That's some pretty good depth right there.

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 04:01 PM

BIg mouth should shut up..

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Well it is.... It's a 6-8 week injury. There's NO talk of him being on PUP or IR from anyone official. It's all specualtion among members. Even without Torrain we still have Young, Hall, Aldridge, Pittman, Sapp, and Hillis. That's some pretty good depth right there.

Well I can see you just put the kiss on death on these guys also..

Quiet folks talking about great depth get players hurt.;)

Simple Jaded
08-06-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't know why they would put him on the IR now, the regular season doesn't start for 4 weeks, it makes no sense to replace him this soon......not with the Vekiel Vaughn's and about a thousand WR's wasting roster spots.

If Torain is as important as he is said to be, they need to wait and see if he will be able to contribute this season.

He should be getting healthy about the time Young is getting nicked up, I would hope they don't put him on the IR this soon......

BroncoNut
08-06-2008, 04:06 PM
that sucks. I was looking forward to seeing him play.

Simple Jaded
08-06-2008, 04:07 PM
BIg mouth should shut up..

Now THAT would be newsworthy......

SmilinAssasSin27
08-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Now everyone know why some of us HATED this pick??? He couldn't stay healthy in JuCo, D1 and now frickin preseason. Awful pick!

Rex
08-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Now everyone know why some of us HATED this pick??? He couldn't stay healthy in JuCo, D1 and now frickin preseason. Awful pick!

Contact injuries like this are hard to predict. Not exactly a reoccurring nagging type injury.:rolleyes:

BroncoNut
08-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Contact injuries like this are hard to predict. Not exactly a reoccurring nagging type injury.:rolleyes:

do you mean recurring?

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 04:12 PM
do you mean recurring?

ankles, knees, weed......

Rex
08-06-2008, 04:12 PM
do you mean recurring?

I mean Smilinass should get a job predicting injuries for an NFL team.

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 04:15 PM

he has a valid point BUT this guy being a 7th rounder has a lot less "LOSS" impact than clady would.. Someone that almost has to be a starter..

Anyone you get on day two that can contribute is like finding hidden gold..

BONUS FF miles..

tubby
08-06-2008, 04:20 PM

Yeah, lets write him off.

:tsk:

Az Snake
08-06-2008, 04:25 PM
He's out 6-8 weeks, not 4-6. He won't quite be ready for the regular season, unfortunately. Really sucks because I was hearing good things, but all we can do now is wish him a speedy recovery.

Hope Ryan heals well soon.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-06-2008, 04:32 PM

I appreciate the kind words. maybe I'll apply.:salute:

I get that contact injuries are different from nagging ones, but I also get that some folks are simply injury prone, regardless of how they get hurt. History has shown Torain to be one of them.

If he was a 7th rounder, I'd be fine w/ getting him and will be estatic if I'm wrong and he turns into a nother stud for us. But we passed on some decent RBs, etc in round 5 for him. I wasn't pleased then and my mood about it has yet to change.

NightTrainLayne
08-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Well I can see you just put the kiss on death on these guys also..

Quiet folks talking about great depth get players hurt.;)

he has a valid point BUT this guy being a 7th rounder has a lot less "LOSS" impact than clady would.. Someone that almost has to be a starter..

Anyone you get on day two that can contribute is like finding hidden gold..

BONUS FF miles..

Damn it man! Keep quiet!! :D :D :D

Timmy!
08-06-2008, 05:03 PM
So he's out until something like week 3 or 4. Hopefully he can heal quickly. Sucks, but nothing huge, Young should be able to handle things, and it gives Aldridge a chance for more carries in preseason. We get Torrain and Marshall both back in week 3 (maybe). I can handle that.

Retired_Member_001
08-06-2008, 05:05 PM
So he's out until something like week 3 or 4. Hopefully he can heal quickly. Sucks, but nothing huge, Young should be able to handle things, and it gives Aldridge a chance for more carries in preseason. We get Torrain and Marshall both back in week 3 (maybe). I can handle that.

Even so, he will need a few weeks to get back in to Football Shape. I imagine that we will be seeing Torain not earlier than week 8.

Timmy!
08-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Even so, he will need a few weeks to get back in to Football Shape. I imagine that we will be seeing Torain not earlier than week 8.

I'd say it depends on how fast he heals, and how well the other backs are doing. Not to mention our red zone production. If Young is running wild and Pittman/Hillis are able to punch it in, Torrain could be ready to go and just not get carries until week 10 or later.

Retired_Member_001
08-06-2008, 05:14 PM
I'd say it depends on how fast he heals, and how well the other backs are doing. Not to mention our red zone production. If Young is running wild and Pittman/Hillis are able to punch it in, Torrain could be ready to go and just not get carries until week 10 or later.

You also have to consider how wrong our Physio staff our when it comes to injuries. 6-8 weeks to them is more like 6-8 months in human time. I'm being seroius, I'd bet that unless he has an amazing recovery, he will be out of simple training for longer than that.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Worst day of work ever in my life and this happens. Someone shoot me.

elsid13
08-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Did anyone die or did you get diagnosed with incurable disease? Things are never as bad as they seem.

Bronco9798
08-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Really hate to see this. Hope he heals quick and can get back soon.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Did anyone die or did you get diagnosed with incurable disease? Things are never as bad as they seem.

I was just really excited for Torain. :(

BigDaddyBronco
08-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I just saw this. Maximum suckitude.

Hmmmm. Will Pittman be the short yardage back? :confused:

BeefStew25
08-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Guys, he was a rookie.

Bronco9798
08-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Guys, he was a rookie.

Peterson was a rookie for the Vikings last year. Rookie RB's can contribute in the NFL. I was excited to see him get some reps in camp and pre season and see what he looked like. This will slow his progress a bit. Just hate to see it.

OMorange&blue
08-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Bief, the wheels are coming off. Show some compassion.

elsid13
08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I was just really excited for Torain. :(

I understand that, but it losing him isn't a real bad day. There is only one player we can not lose and that is Cutler, everyone else can be covered

BeefStew25
08-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Peterson was a rookie for the Vikings last year. Rookie RB's can contribute in the NFL. I was excited to see him get some reps in camp and pre season and see what he looked like. This will slow his progress a bit. Just hate to see it.

Cedric benson was a rookie a couple of years ago, you hunk.

rcsodak
08-06-2008, 09:59 PM
It sounds like a dislocated shoulder or something. It might not be too bad or it could be really bad.

Let's hope for the former over the latter.

Don't be so sure, Loyal...

...remember The Longest Yard *I think*?

The guy gets it in the scrotum...and is told to grab something else, since there were TV cameras. So he grabs his nose, I think......

Funny stuff.

rcsodak
08-06-2008, 10:07 PM

What an ignorant post!

A guy getting his elbow broke has NOTHING to do with past injuries. NOR does it mean he's an awful pick.

Good Lord.

I suppose you want THenry back, right? :rolleyes:

rcsodak
08-06-2008, 10:12 PM

Don't tease.

nevcraw
08-07-2008, 07:25 AM
I appreciate the kind words. maybe I'll apply.:salute:

I get that contact injuries are different from nagging ones, but I also get that some folks are simply injury prone, regardless of how they get hurt. History has shown Torain to be one of them.

If he was a 7th rounder, I'd be fine w/ getting him and will be estatic if I'm wrong and he turns into a nother stud for us. But we passed on some decent RBs, etc in round 5 for him. I wasn't pleased then and my mood about it has yet to change.

Adrian Peterson was also "injury prone" in college, The Vikes really wasted that pick.. With running back the broncos deserve the least amount of criticism when it comes to the talent they pick up.. They've earned that much.

BroncoNut
08-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Guys, he was a rookie.

and he still is a rookie

:plane:

tboltzcali
08-07-2008, 12:01 PM
guess this almost guarentees we see Michael Pittman week 2. We that will be attending the game, grew up with this guy so it would be cool to see him.

shank
08-07-2008, 12:18 PM
cbs text:

ryan torain had surgery thur. morning, his injury more serious than 1st thought. out 3 months, leaving broncos with tough call.

underrated29
08-07-2008, 12:24 PM
cbs text:

ryan torain had surgery thur. morning, his injury more serious than 1st thought. out 3 months, leaving broncos with tough call.

***EDIT** * ME!!!!!

I was really basing a lot of our success this year off of him plowing the road into the endzone within the 10 yard line. I am just not sure if pittman has it in him. I hope so. I still got faith in hillis, but..............

This is just not good. Dam i wish we would have signed jordan (ok flame away for me liking jordan.)

Simple Jaded
08-07-2008, 12:24 PM
How will they ever replace such an irreplaceable talent?......

BroncoJoe
08-07-2008, 12:26 PM
ENGLEWOOD – Broncos running back Ryan Torain had surgery Thursday morning to repair ligament damage in his left elbow.

His recovery time could be as long as three months, which means the Broncos will have to make a decision by the end of training camp on whether to place him on injured reserve, which would make him ineligible to play this season.

If they think his recovery may be slightly quicker and that he may be able to get back on the field by late October, they could use a roster spot when final cuts are made to 53 players, but they would have to release a healthy player to do it.

Torain suffered a fractured bone near his left elbow Wednesday and was taken for a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exam as well. That test showed ligament damage that Torain needed repaired Thursday morning.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has called Torain "one of the most gifted running backs I’ve been around, and I’ve been around for a long time, very similar to Terrell Davis when he came in.”

Torain was competing for the starting running back spot.

He took a pitch to the right during a 9-on-7 run-game drill in the morning practice Tuesday and suffered the injury when he attempted to brace his fall, and his entire body weight landed on his outstretched arm.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/aug/07/torains-recovery-could-take-three-months/

Italianmobstr7
08-07-2008, 12:30 PM
that freaking sucks!

BroncoJoe
08-07-2008, 12:34 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/JoeArthur/Torain.jpg

Italianmobstr7
08-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Looks like he was in shock from the break. Must have hurt like a bitch

turftoad
08-07-2008, 12:58 PM
ENGLEWOOD – Broncos running back Ryan Torain had surgery Thursday morning to repair ligament damage in his left elbow.

His recovery time could be as long as three months, which means the Broncos will have to make a decision by the end of training camp on whether to place him on injured reserve, which would make him ineligible to play this season.

If they think his recovery may be slightly quicker and that he may be able to get back on the field by late October, they could use a roster spot when final cuts are made to 53 players, but they would have to release a healthy player to do it.

Torain suffered a fractured bone near his left elbow Wednesday and was taken for a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exam as well. That test showed ligament damage that Torain needed repaired Thursday morning.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has called Torain "one of the most gifted running backs I’ve been around, and I’ve been around for a long time, very similar to Terrell Davis when he came in.”

Torain was competing for the starting running back spot.

He took a pitch to the right during a 9-on-7 run-game drill in the morning practice Tuesday and suffered the injury when he attempted to brace his fall, and his entire body weight landed on his outstretched arm.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/aug/07/torains-recovery-could-take-three-months/

This does suck.

I'm sure we'll be checking out our options as far a avalible players are concerned before we do anything with him.

To bad the Texans signed M.Bell, he could come in handy right about now.

G_Money
08-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Peyton Hillis will now be toting the rock for us.

I won't say "no big" because I was extremely interested to see if Torain could start to perform for us but Hillis is a very talented runner in his own right, as are Young and Hall. And Pittman is a good safety valve. I don't think we need to go get another back.

I still like the ones we have, even with the loss of Torain.

Just need Hillis to stay healthy now please...

~G

Italianmobstr7
08-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Peyton Hillis will now be toting the rock for us.

I won't say "no big" because I was extremely interested to see if Torain could start to perform for us but Hillis is a very talented runner in his own right, as are Young and Hall. And Pittman is a good safety valve. I don't think we need to go get another back.

I still like the ones we have, even with the loss of Torain.

Just need Hillis to stay healthy now please...

~G

We need to get used to seeing this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8jgpz_K_g

BigDaddyBronco
08-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Use Hillis and Pittman as a "big" package?

Looks like they should put Torain in IR in my opinion.

turftoad
08-07-2008, 02:08 PM

Hillis is very fast for FB.

Ziggy
08-07-2008, 02:21 PM
With Torrain out 3 months now, I was thinking about the impact it had on the rest of the O. Anyone who watched practices in person clearly saw that he ran with more authority than anyone else on the team. He was pushing for the #1 RB spot, and because he and Hall were running so well, Pittman was moved back over to FB. Now that he's injured, let's look at a few of the things that will change:

1. Pittman has been moved back to RB, and is almost sure to make the team.

2. Alridge more than likely sticks with the team as an extra RB, although the way he looked in camp, that might have happened anyways.

3. With Hillis hurting and Pittman moving back to RB, Spencer Larsen moves back to FB, and has been told that he will play some there Saturday night against Houston.

Those are the obvious implications. I also think that Sapp makes the team for sure now. Between the Hillis injury and having to move Pittman back to RB, he looks like the #1 guy going into the season again.

Anyone think Torrain goes on IR? Or will Shanny use a spot on the active roster to hopefully have him back late in the season?

LRtagger
08-07-2008, 02:25 PM
wasnt he already placed on IR?

BroncoNut
08-07-2008, 02:26 PM
what's wrong with Hillis?

Ziggy
08-07-2008, 02:32 PM
what's wrong with Hillis?

Hillis has been out of practice with a hamstring for a while now.

BroncoNut
08-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Hillis has been out of practice with a hamstring for a while now.

I was unaware of that, or had forgotten about it. He must be good to go for the regular season?

underrated29
08-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Kinda crazy how much has changed just by one rookie- backups injury. LOL.

I agree with all that was said. I wonder when he could come back if healthy? Week 6? If its week 6 or before I think we keep him on active pup or whatever so he can come back.

If he is already on IR then i guess that answers that. If he cant be back before week 6. then i would say he will go on IR and we will just get more creative in the redzone.

shank
08-07-2008, 02:43 PM
i'd rather it mean we keep sapp than pittman.

use hillis and sapp both at FB, then put hillis in the hb spot in goalline situations or whatever.

i just don't really want pittman on the broncos... he doesn't add anything but age to the team imo.

z_jeep
08-07-2008, 02:46 PM
I wish the team would start using the ARP Wave trainer. Many of these injuries could be eliminated or at least the recovery would be severely reduced.

topscribe
08-07-2008, 02:49 PM
With Torrain out 3 months now, I was thinking about the impact it had on the rest of the O. Anyone who watched practices in person clearly saw that he ran with more authority than anyone else on the team. He was pushing for the #1 RB spot, and because he and Hall were running so well, Pittman was moved back over to FB. Now that he's injured, let's look at a few of the things that will change:

1. Pittman has been moved back to RB, and is almost sure to make the team.

2. Alridge more than likely sticks with the team as an extra RB, although the way he looked in camp, that might have happened anyways.

3. With Hillis hurting and Pittman moving back to RB, Spencer Larsen moves back to FB, and has been told that he will play some there Saturday night against Houston.

Those are the obvious implications. I also think that Sapp makes the team for sure now. Between the Hillis injury and having to move Pittman back to RB, he looks like the #1 guy going into the season again.

Anyone think Torrain goes on IR? Or will Shanny use a spot on the active roster to hopefully have him back late in the season?

I thought it was 6 - 8 weeks. :confused:

-----

Magnificent Seven
08-07-2008, 02:53 PM
It looks like Broncos defense team have to work harder against the Raiders on Monday Night Football and play harder against Chargers on Broncos' 1st home game. It is all about defense.

BroncoJoe
08-07-2008, 02:54 PM

-----

He had to have surgery this morning. There was ligament damage. He's out at least three months.

Davii
08-07-2008, 02:55 PM

-----

They revised it since the surgery Tops. He had ligament damage.

dogfish
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
keep an eye on this guy. . . .

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6905/340xok1.jpg

he's going to have an impact this year. . . .

topscribe
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
He had to have surgery this morning. There was ligament damage. He's out at least three months.

They revised it since the surgery Tops. He had ligament damage.

Damn. Didn't know that. :tsk:

Well, that's what I get for being buried in work.

-----

BroncoNut
08-07-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't know what the big whoop about Torrain was, I guess he was a pounder, but he was also a projected late rounder. It's not like there isn't a stable of backs in denver.

yeah, I was getting on the Torrain bandwagon, and am disappointed, but it's not that big of a deal in the end . I guess I hope we hang on to him and see some of him later in the season.

pnbronco
08-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Damn. Didn't know that. :tsk:

Well, that's what I get for being buried in work.

-----

Well Tops you do have to pay for your Internet so I can understand needing to work, I'm trying to do so today. Anyway how long can Torrain be on PUP?

I thought I read that they found ligament damage from the MRI and will have surgery tomorrow. Lets hope for the best and find someone to get rid of the injury curse out at Dove.

Magnificent Seven
08-07-2008, 03:21 PM

He was damn good in Titans vs. Broncos game on Monday Night Football. He rushed for a 62-yard touchdown and that was his first career score on Monday Night Football.

G_Money
08-07-2008, 03:25 PM

I think Hillis is probably a better RB than a FB. And I think he could be a great FB.

Peyton Hillis was one of the most under-rated runners in the draft, because he played out of position behind two incredible runners in their own right.

Run DMC was most impressive as a collegian, but Hillis really was no slouch, and all that practice blocking could only have helped him. And apparently he has a burning desire to prove that his being shoved to the back of the bus at Arkansas was a mistake.

Think Garrison Hearst vs. TD. I know that's what I keep thinking. :salute:

If there's good that comes out of this, it's that Hillis should no longer be relegated to the murky confines of the ill-defined FB position - the one that Shanny has forgotten how to use correctly.

Now Hillis should be back in the RB mix, where he belongs. And Torain's loss could be our gain should Hillis start to produce there like I think he can.

At least we should get to find out.

~G

Davii
08-07-2008, 03:26 PM

I sure as hell hope so.

Simple Jaded
08-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Maybe somebody could correct me if I'm wrong, but if Denver places Torain on the IR list after the regular season starts he is eligible to return after 8weeks.

Meaning if they keep him on the final 53 man roster for a day they can place him on IR and bring another player back......I'm thinking Chad Mustard, not because he's going to make the team but because he's the perfect example of a player getting released so the team could make other roster moves only to be brought back......

red98
08-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Maybe somebody could correct me if I'm wrong, but if Denver places Torain on the IR list after the regular season starts he is eligible to return after 8weeks.

Meaning if they keep him on the final 53 man roster for a day they can place him on IR and bring another player back......I'm thinking Chad Mustard, not because he's going to make the team but because he's the perfect example of a player getting released so the team could make other roster moves only to be brought back......

No. IR is for the season.

Maybe you are thinking of PUP-reserved, but only players that were on the PUP-active list are eligible for that and he is not eligible for PUP-active because he was on the active roster when training camp started.

Also, if Denver puts him on IR he must first clear waivers.

***EDIT** I AM WRONG: The waiver thing only applies if you don't want the player to count toward the 80 man limit. After the first cut down a team can just put him on IR and he won't count towards the roster. Sorry about that!********

Davii
08-07-2008, 04:19 PM
No. IR is for the season.

Maybe you are thinking of PUP-reserved, but only players that were on the PUP-active list are eligible for that and he is not eligible for PUP-active because he was on the active roster when training camp started.

Also, if Denver puts him on IR he must first clear waivers.

He has to clear waivers in order to go on the IR?

I thought that was just to go on the practice squad?

red98
08-07-2008, 04:24 PM
He has to clear waivers in order to go on the IR?

I thought that was just to go on the practice squad?

No, he's a rookie so he has to clear waivers. The rule is there to keep teams from stashing healthy young players on IR so they can develop them while keeping them off the 53 man roster.

Of course he is really injured so I don't see any team claiming him for their active roster.

hamrob
08-07-2008, 04:34 PM
I wonder if we'll add a RB to the roster. You have to believe that if the Broncos think that Torrain can come back and actually help the team this year..they'll place him on the PUP list. If they feel that coming back from an injury like that as a rookie in the middle of the season is too difficult a challenge...they'll place him on the IR. So far, there's been no mention of that.

What RB's are out there? Is Benson still unsigned?

red98
08-07-2008, 05:33 PM
I was wrong, see my edit in post 113. Sorry!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2008, 05:34 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/ryan.torain.injury.2.790087.html

DENVER (CBS4) ― The elbow injury that rookie tailback Ryan Torain suffered is worse than the Broncos expected. Torain is set to have surgery Friday morning and now is expected to be out for 3 months.

Initially he was diagnosed with a broken bone that would allow him to return to the field in 6 to 8 weeks, but an MRI revealed that the ligament damage was worse than expected, so Torain's rookie season is now in jeopardy and the Broncos are faced with a tough decision.

If they place him on injured reserve, he'll be ineligible to return this season even if his elbow healed faster than expected. If they believe that he'll be ready to return by mid-season, they could keep him on the 53-man roster, but they'd have to cut someone who could contribute right away.

The fact that Shanahan is even considering putting the rookie on injured reserve says a lot about how highly the Broncos value Torain. They don't have to make a decision about Torain's roster status until the end of August, so there will be plenty of time after his surgery to see how he's progressing and how likely he is to be ready by mid-season.

Italianmobstr7
08-07-2008, 05:34 PM
I wonder if we'll add a RB to the roster. You have to believe that if the Broncos think that Torrain can come back and actually help the team this year..they'll place him on the PUP list. If they feel that coming back from an injury like that as a rookie in the middle of the season is too difficult a challenge...they'll place him on the IR. So far, there's been no mention of that.

What RB's are out there? Is Benson still unsigned?

Benson is unsigned, and so is Shaun Alexander. But Denver doesn't need to sign either of those guys. If we're looking for a power back we should look for Lamont Jordan or something. At the very least he'll give us some more insight to how the Raiders run things or something.

pnbronco
08-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks Carol I was really wondering about the whole IR thing.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Just place him on IR.

Sodak
08-07-2008, 07:16 PM
A friend of mine had the same injury when he put his hand down to block his fall while playing football. The end of the bone in the elbow broke off and they had to insert a plate and two screws to hold the bone in place. He never had the plate removed, and can now only rotate his forearm about 1/10th the way it did before the break. I wonder if they usually take out the hardware when the bone heals?

BroncoAV06
08-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I don't know why everyone is so down on Pittman, his role will be expanded a bit due to Torains injury and I think that he can be a servicable vet behind Hall/Young. If the Broncos do not sign another back ad they want to throw some size out there I would not mind seeng Sapp get a few more carries. Maybe that is what they are thinking with throwing Larson back at FB as well. Have plenty of speed(Young/Quick), will be interesting to see how it is utilized.

Simple Jaded
08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Currently, the NFL's injured reserve rule restricts a player so designated from returning to play during the season that he's placed on the list. For further information on the rules concerning the contract status and compensation for injured players, see the Collective Bargaining Agreement (or CBA).

This represented a rule change which, I believe (I'm still researching this), was instituted when the current CBA was ratified.

Prior to that, the injured reserve rule distinguished between a player going on the list before the final roster was set (in pre-season) and after that. A player going on injured reserve in pre-season was, like now, lost for the season but a player going on the list during the season only had to sit out for a minimum of four games.

Apparantly, the NFL owners pushed for this rule change in an effort to police themselves. I've read that some, unnamed, owners (the NFL owners' meetings are private) felt that some teams were illegally using the injured reserve list to stash players who weren't really injured to circumvent the rules on roster limits (to gain a competitive advantage).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_injured_reserve_work_in_the_NFL......

dekers
08-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Benson is unsigned, and so is Shaun Alexander. But Denver doesn't need to sign either of those guys. If we're looking for a power back we should look for Lamont Jordan or something. At the very least he'll give us some more insight to how the Raiders run things or something.

He signed with the pats right after he got released from the raiders.

Magnificent Seven
08-08-2008, 01:06 AM

FYI: Did you know that Broncos have never sign any ex Raiders players? Raiders usually sign Ex Broncos players. It's a fact.

I doubt about Broncos getting Lamont Jordon.

topscribe
08-08-2008, 01:13 AM
FYI: Did you know that Broncos have never sign any ex Raiders players? Raiders usually sign Ex Broncos players. It's a fact.

Well, that's probably partly because Denver's personnel is generally superior
to Oakland's.

But there was a time when it would have been understandable if a Raider
refused to report to the Broncos. Trust me.

-----

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 01:17 AM

It would be difficult since he's been signed by the Patriots already anyways. Denver will sign players from any team if they think that they're good enough. We signed Jerry Rice who was an ex raider. But it isn't something that happens all that often that's for sure. Although they sure do sign a lot of our old players.

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 01:18 AM
He signed with the pats right after he got released from the raiders.

Yea, I remember now. I had just forgot about that. Saw that he had 19 carries for 76 yards and a TD tonight. Probably the most action that he'll see all season. lol

Magnificent Seven
08-08-2008, 01:23 AM
It would be difficult since he's been signed by the Patriots already anyways. Denver will sign players from any team if they think that they're good enough. We signed Jerry Rice who was an ex raider. But it isn't something that happens all that often that's for sure. Although they sure do sign a lot of our old players.

However, Broncos didn't get Jerry Rice from the raiders. They got him straight from Seattle Seahawks. :D

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 01:28 AM
However, Broncos didn't get Jerry Rice from the raiders. They got him straight from Seattle Seahawks. :D

Absolutely correct. There's a reason we don't sign Raider players. Because if they suck so bad that they have to play in Oakland, then they'll never make it through TC in Denver anyways!

pnbronco
08-08-2008, 01:37 AM

Red could you please explain this a little more? What is the PUP-active list and when is it made? Thanks for help...

red98
08-08-2008, 02:34 AM

Red could you please explain this a little more? What is the PUP-active list and when is it made? Thanks for help...

PUP active is used when a team wants to keep a player that is injured but may return before the season starts.

In this way the team frees up a roster spot while waiting for the injured player to return.

To be eligible for the PUP list a player cannot have been on the active roster when camp begins.

PUP-reserved list are players that were on the PUP active list that the team believes will be ready to play after the 6th game.

A good example is the great Rod Smith last season.

Hope that helps.

red98
08-08-2008, 02:39 AM
To explain further:

Players on PUP-active can be activated whenever the team wants. Once the season starts players have to wait until after the 6th game to be activated. That's the difference between active(pre-season) and reserve (in season)

pnbronco
08-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Thank you so much Red, now I get it. Now I remember that Schef broke his foot at mini camp and could not be active at the beginning of mini camp and saw the PUP after his name and Rod too. You did a great job explaining all this, thank you for taking the time.

tomjonesrocks
08-08-2008, 12:01 PM
So is there no chance Torain gets cut over this?

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 12:11 PM

I'll let you decide. Here's Shanahan's quote "It's a big loss," Shanahan said. "I thought he had a chance to compete to be the starting running back. He's one of the most gifted running backs I've been around for a long time. He is very similar to Terrell Davis when he came in. Obviously he has a setback that he has to deal with."

Lonestar
08-08-2008, 12:12 PM

he will not get cut for two reasons

He was injured on the job. which means they would have to pay compensation to him if they did. It is less expensive for them to place him on IR and get to see him next year..

Mikey has stated he might be the best RB he has had since TD..

dogfish
08-08-2008, 12:13 PM

none. . . .

yardog
08-08-2008, 12:13 PM

Cut? NO. IR big MAYBE.

Simple Jaded
08-08-2008, 12:34 PM
At this point I'm not so sure Denver would even sign another RB, not unless there is another injury at the position.

For one, I'm willing to bet Shaun Alexander is just holding out to gouge another team out of as much scratch as possible, at which point he can play like the dog he is.

Cedric Benson is a PR headache teams just don't want any part of, the Broncos would have to be desperate because, if I'm not mistaken, he's facing suspension. Torain might be ready to play before he is.

And what else is out there? Dookie "The Deuce Bandit" Davenport? Musa Smith? Do the Broncos want THAT public relations headache?

I think the Broncos will wait to see if someone interesting gets cut during preseason, they don't have many options at this point other than to stick with what they've got and then just tell anybody who'll listen that these players are much better than they really are (they're good at that).

This group is/was average at best, some backs are borderline scrubs, and Torains injury almost certainly means another draft comes and goes without the Broncos taking a legitimate franchise back. Ya :rolleyes:......

NameUsedBefore
08-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I haven't slept in almost a day but I coulda swore Larsen was a linebacker.

Simple Jaded
08-08-2008, 12:55 PM
You don't cut The Next Terrell Davis, The Myth lives one......

shank
08-08-2008, 02:26 PM
texans released bell, maybe we bring him back?*

i'd rather have bell on the roster than pittman. if we need power, put hillis or sapp back there, if we need a nose for the endzone that selvin or andre don't have, bring back bell.

*if torain goes IR

Lonestar
08-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I haven't slept in almost a day but I coulda swore Larsen was a linebacker.

he used to play FB in HS.. and fantasy football.. Think of the potential double whammy he could have when he becomes a starter as a LB.. gets tackles as well as TD's off of screen passes..

Yes Bring Mike Bell back he has shown he can find the END zone inside the 5..

Northman
08-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Torain will be out 3 months with a broken elbow per NFL Network.

turftoad
08-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about if we were going to put him on IR or not.

You'd think if we were, they'd already have done it.

topscribe
08-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about if we were going to put him on IR or not.

You'd think if we were, they'd already have done it.

I have heard there are complications regarding the timing of it. Although I
only scanned the explanations, it seems that if they were to thrown a rookie
on IR at this point, he would hit the waiver wire before going on IR. If he
goes on after the regular season starts, then the risk isn't as high.

Or something like that . . .

Maybe someone will clear that up here.

-----

underrated29
08-12-2008, 01:07 PM

-----

THAT ANDi also believe that they are waiting to see how quickly he heals. If he can heal ahead of schedule and possibly be back in action-say like week 3-4 then they might just keep him on active roster. however, if he is progressing normally and wont be back until like week 7-8 they will probably just IR him.

My thoughts atleast.

Tned
08-12-2008, 01:17 PM
THAT ANDi also believe that they are waiting to see how quickly he heals. If he can heal ahead of schedule and possibly be back in action-say like week 3-4 then they might just keep him on active roster. however, if he is progressing normally and wont be back until like week 7-8 they will probably just IR him.

My thoughts atleast.

Shanahan said on the pregame on KOA Saturday that they wanted to talk to the doctors, see how the surgery went and get a feel for what his timetable would be, before deciding whether to put him on IR.

underrated29
08-12-2008, 01:21 PM
nice! i am guessing that they must be right on the fence for this one, otherwise we probably would have had a move.

Come on ryan. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~(me sending good healing waves to ryan) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ the power of christ compels you. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

hamrob
08-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Torrain will go on IR. Even if he's healed in 3 mos...there's no way he is ready to take a beating on that elbow right away. He's a RB and is guarenteed to get hit on it every play. The best thing to do is to place him on IR and open up the roster spot for this year. Whose going to sign him and carry him on the active roster for the full season? Nobody. So even if he has to clear waivers...he will in all liklihood do so.

Lonestar
08-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Torrain will go on IR. Even if he's healed in 3 mos...there's no way he is ready to take a beating on that elbow right away. He's a RB and is guarenteed to get hit on it every play. The best thing to do is to place him on IR and open up the roster spot for this year. Whose going to sign him and carry him on the active roster for the full season? Nobody. So even if he has to clear waivers...he will in all liklihood do so.

Normally I'd agree wit you but mikey is real high on this kid if they IR him can't practice with the team or attend team meetings.. He can rehab at Dove valley.

I think Mikey will carry the slot if for no other reason but to allow the possibility of him coming back and to work out with the team There is padding he can wear to give it some protection... It was not a I feel on the Elbow and chipped something it was break and mended bones normally come back stronger than the original. The ligament damage can be braced.. to Keep the elbow from Hyper extending..

red98
08-12-2008, 04:37 PM

-----

Uh, yeah that's probably because some idiot (ME) posted the wrong info.
I did correct myself in post #113.

The waiver thing is only when you want to keeep the guy from counting toward the 80 man roster. After cutdowns it's just plain IR.

I think Shanny's waiting to get a better idea of how long it will take to get him back.

Maybe he's also waiting for Hillis to get back on the field and get a few carries at RB, see how he does.

Lonestar
08-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Uh, yeah that's probably because some idiot (ME) posted the wrong info.
I did correct myself in post #113.

The waiver thing is only when you want to keeep the guy from counting toward the 80 man roster. After cutdowns it's just plain IR.

I think Shanny's waiting to get a better idea of how long it will take to get him back.

Maybe he's also waiting for Hillis to get back on the field and get a few carries at RB, see how he does.

You know that you can get demerits and the wrath of the mod squad for calling someone an idiot don't you?

But I think your correct I'd be surprised to see him on the IR list unless we suffer another RB injury of less time frame..

red98
08-12-2008, 04:58 PM
You know that you can get demerits and the wrath of the mod squad for calling someone an idiot don't you?

But I think your correct I'd be surprised to see him on the IR list unless we suffer another RB injury of less time frame..

I am afraid in this case the guy screwed up so bad that calling him an idoit was worth the risk of retribution. May the Mods be merciful.

turftoad
08-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Normally I'd agree wit you but mikey is real high on this kid if they IR him can't practice with the team or attend team meetings.. He can rehab at Dove valley.

I think Mikey will carry the slot if for no other reason but to allow the possibility of him coming back and to work out with the team There is padding he can wear to give it some protection... It was not a I feel on the Elbow and chipped something it was break and mended bones normally come back stronger than the original. The ligament damage can be braced.. to Keep the elbow from Hyper extending..

I agree with this.

He could come in very handy for the streach run which is when I think we're going to put it together anyway.

Lonestar
08-12-2008, 06:57 PM
I agree with this.

He could come in very handy for the stretch run which is when I think we're going to put it together anyway.

I think the first 7-8 games are toast anyway.. with all the youth, changes in scheme, new coaches and frankly not all that much TOP flight talent here before the bye is getting to know each other time.. Figuring out where the door the urinal is..

After the bye the schedule is much weaker and should do well there and maybe even be a spoiler..