PDA

View Full Version : Paige-ing Brandon: Catch on

Mike
08-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Here is a really good article from the Post.

Paige-ing Brandon: Catch on
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 08/06/2008 12:04:21 AM MDT

Yo, Brandon. On Sunday, Sept. 21, in presumably your first regular-season game of 2008 after your suspension (finally and formally announced Tuesday) ends, catch 15 passes for 215 yards and three touchdowns (including one on a 99-yard reception-run) to set personal and Broncos bests, go on to earn an invitation to the Pro Bowl, a 15-year career in Denver, $125 million, eventually, in overall salary and induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Then, thank me for the motivation, Brandon.

Several days ago, in his retirement speech, consummate pro Rod Smith expressed gratitude to me, of all people. "This guy inspired my career with one article" after the Broncos' first exhibition in 1995. What I wrote then was that after Smith signaled for fair catches twice on punts inside the 10-yard line, "I'm afraid Rod Smith will call for a fair catch on a swing pass."

Whatever it takes. My role in life is to help.

On Brandon Marshall's 24th birthday this year I wrote that he should "grow up," a suggestion with which many people, including Marshall the next day, agreed.

A few nights afterward, when Marshall was having dinner at a restaurant with Jay Cutler, the wide receiver left a voice mail on my cellphone requesting, in a good-natured way, that I get off his back.

All right, kid, I'll do it.

And here's what you do: Stay inbounds (off the field).

Humbly accept the punishment meted by Roger Goodell for your many transgressions. Seek counseling — and continue with it long-term — and meet the commissioner's other conditions so that you sit out two games, not three. Man up and settle the DUI court case on or before Sept. 16, five days before your first game.

Avoid at all costs (figuratively and literally) contact with your ex-girlfriend. Even though you fell in love in the eighth grade when you were a football star and she was a cheerleader, there comes a time, as you told her this year, that the two of you "have to move on."

Don't be hanging out at clubs all night (or ever), drinking and spraying champagne and creating a disturbance, then driving. Nothing good happens at 3 a.m. Don't surround yourself with questionable characters. They're not true friends if they lead or follow you to trouble. Don't play roughhouse with relatives or get into public arguments with them.

Listen to your coaches, your teammates, your attorney, your counselor. Don't lie or alibi anymore about your actions, and take responsibility. Be smart, not stupid. Think: "Is this something my mother would be proud, or ashamed, of?"

Become a team leader and a team player. Be more concerned about victories than statistics. Never forget that a two-game suspension costs you about $56,000 in salary, but also could cost you a chance to be in the Pro Bowl and, more important, the Super Bowl. You may hurt your teammates more than yourself by not being able to participate in critical games against division rivals Oakland and San Diego. You will owe them in the later rematches.

Train even harder when you can't play, and visit the patients at Children's Hospital to see how fortunate you are.

Be the best you can this season. Maybe the Broncos will offer you a five-year contract extension for 25 times more money than your first contract ($2.03 million over four years).

Remember that most Coloradans are loving, caring and forgiving, and the adults and the youngsters are devoted, rightly or wrongly, to you, Carmelo and Tulo.

Do the right thing in the stadium and in the community, and you'll always be at home here.

Leave voice mails for the Broncos' former wide receivers and ask for their counseling, their advice, their support, their reasons for playing here, remaining here.

Haven Moses was traded to the Broncos, became the club's most dependable receiver and did a backflip, like a 10-year-old Pee Wee leaguer, on the field after the Broncos won the 1977 AFC Championship. He has never left. Haven gives his time and efforts to charities (he was featured this week in a newspaper photo in conjunction with a fundraising event), and when he had serious health problems, Broncos fans and Denver friends rallied around. Mark Jackson was drafted by the Broncos, became one of "Three Amigos," began a successful business and is a Broncos ambassador.

Rick Upchurch had his weak personal moments but overcame them and always will be adored. Steve Watson arrived as an unknown, but "The Blade" developed into a world-class receiver, a sharp executive and an assistant coach, now associate head coach, of the Broncos. Ed McCaffrey revived his football career in Denver, was hailed as "Ed-dee, Ed-dee," bought a home in Castle Pines and is a thriving entrepreneur and TV pitchman. Talk to Larry Brunson and Billy Van Heusen and the others who have done themselves and Denver proud.

And be guided wisely by your life coach Rod Smith, the greatest, who said at his retirement: "Don't let the past dictate your future."

Yo, Brandon, start anew, and nobody will be on your back. Everybody in Denver will have your back.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10108808

SR
08-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I read this earlier this morning...amazing work by Paige. It feels odd saying, or typing, that.

Dean
08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Woody outdid himself this time. Wow!

The well stated message goes far beyond Brandon and his present situation. I think that we all can find some relevance to our own lives.

BroncoWave
08-06-2008, 10:45 AM
I've always been a fan of Woody's on Around the Horn. Never read much of his stuff but this is certainly a good one.

LRtagger
08-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Woody is the man

Plus his name is Woody

Retired_Member_001
08-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Great article.

Chidoze
08-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Woody has a quirkiness to his articles. This one though has a dead serious tone to it.

The problem is that Marshall shouldnt need someone to tell him these things. No one has to tell Jay Cutler to stay out of trouble, why is it that Marshall has to be told over and over?

He does need to grow up in major way. How many times will he need to hear it for it to sink in?

pnbronco
08-07-2008, 09:06 PM
That is a great article. I only hope Marshall actually "gets it" this time.

Lonestar
08-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Never really been a huge fan of Paige, but he out did himself in this one..

Lets just hope it sinks in..