PDA

View Full Version : Nalen possibly out until start of regular season

Italianmobstr7
08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3520847

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos center Tom Nalen might be out until the season opener as he continues to recover from offseason surgery on his left knee.

The 15-year veteran whose 2007 season was cut short by a torn right biceps after five games hasn't practiced since the first few days of camp. He is the only player remaining from the Broncos' back-to-back Super Bowl winners in the 1990s.

"Any time Tom sits out of practice it is not just another injury because it is tough to keep him out of practice," coach Mike Shanahan said Tuesday. "I think he has the experience where he doesn't really need the preseason games, and he is working hard in the weight room to make sure his conditioning level stays at a certain point."

Shanahan said an MRI was negative, ruling out more surgery for now.

"Hopefully rest will be enough but we will find out in the next couple of weeks when some of the pain subsides," Shanahan said.

Nalen, whose five Pro Bowls are the most for a Broncos lineman, has helped Denver to the most rushing yards and the third-fewest sacks in the NFL since 1995.

He was placed on injured reserve in October with a torn right biceps. After rehabilitating that injury, he underwent knee surgery this summer.

Nalen's slow recovery has made center Casey Wiegmann the Broncos' most important free agent signing.

Wiegmann, entering his 13th NFL season, spent the last seven seasons with AFC West rival Kansas City. He started 111 consecutive games in the regular season, the longest active streak among NFL centers.

The Broncos' entire offensive line is in flux.

Only one returner played all 16 games last year -- right guard Montrae Holland. He came to camp so overweight that he hasn't been allowed to practice. He's been replaced by Chris Kuper, who played left guard last year.

Second-year pro Ryan Harris is at right tackle, replacing Erik Pears, who started every game there in 2007 but is now rookie Ryan Clady's backup at left tackle, protecting quarterback Jay Cutler's blind side.

Ben Hamilton, who missed all of last season with post-concussion syndrome, is back at left guard.

Lonestar
08-05-2008, 08:40 PM
sounds like the end of a career coming down shortly..

Italianmobstr7
08-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I doubt it. Sounds like a knee needs some resting, and he doesn't really need TC anyways. He's been there, done that. Jr, why are you always so negative? I rarely see you post anything positive about the Broncos? Are you just really thinking that our franchise is in a slump and isn't going to recover or something? I'm not trying to bash you or anything, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm just curious as to why you rarely have anything positive to say about the team you root for.

dogfish
08-06-2008, 04:35 PM
hmmm. . .

with all due respect to a broncos great, i won't be disappointed if the lichtensteiger era starts this year. . . neither nalen or weigmann is the future, and if lichtensteiger is going to be the guy i'll be just as happy if he can start sometime this year, and start building that chemistry on the line. . . .

Den21vsBal19
08-06-2008, 04:39 PM
That's a little worrying, Nalen & Cutler have had some problems with the snap, I was kinda hoping that'd get ironed out during the pre-season

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 04:53 PM
I doubt it. Sounds like a knee needs some resting, and he doesn't really need TC anyways. He's been there, done that. Jr, why are you always so negative? I rarely see you post anything positive about the Broncos? Are you just really thinking that our franchise is in a slump and isn't going to recover or something? I'm not trying to bash you or anything, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm just curious as to why you rarely have anything positive to say about the team you root for.

No offense taken

I just look at the facts.. as I see them..

He had knee surgery he now has an unrelated issue with that same knee he is 32+ years old with a lot of wear and tear below the waist..

HE will not be around to many more years..

He is the mainstay on the OLINE no DOUBT a great Veteran.. We have drafted the heir apparent to him in Licthensteiger.

Maybe it is time to move on.. let him get his ring of fame spot and let the OLINE of the future get things started early..

If we wait a year then the OLINE is in flux again NEXT year and perhaps longer.

I have always had a "gift" or as some would say curse of looking at things and see problems and then finding solutions for them..

It has rarely failed me in my careers they used to call us trouble shooters..

Buff
08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Nalen is going to join Matt Lepsis and Rod Smith in the "should have retired last year" category... I think he would have if he didn't have 1 year remaining on his contract-- Basically any production we get out of him I will view as a bonus.

Retired_Member_001
08-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Nalen is going to join Matt Lepsis and Rod Smith in the "should have retired last year" category... I think he would have if he didn't have 1 year remaining on his contract-- Basically any production we get out of him I will view as a bonus.

I agree. I hate to be negative, but Matt Lepsis was just plain bad last year. Unlike Lepsis, we have a player who can take over from Nalen. I'd love to have him back and playing well for one more year, but I just don't see Nalen being able to come back.

Timmy!
08-06-2008, 05:09 PM
This is probably Nails last season, most of us realize that. Hopefully he can make it through the regular season as it sounds like the knee just needs rest. I'd be willing to bet that Nalen is the starting center in week 1. How long will he last? Who knows. Weigmann is a good insurance policy though. If it takes all preseason for Nails to get ready, so be it. This way Lich can get a ton of preseason snaps and we'll all see what the future center can do.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-07-2008, 08:51 PM
The youth movement continues. LOVE Nalen, but it may be time. Hope I'm wrong and he dominates for 19 games though...