PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall Officially Suspended

ApaOps5
08-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Got the text. Suspended 3 games and he will consider dropping it to 2 if he completes his anger management classes.

slim
08-05-2008, 07:08 PM
I hope he can appeal it and push it back a few weeks. We will need him against SD.

ApaOps5
08-05-2008, 07:09 PM
I would rather just get it over with.

LRtagger
08-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I would rather him miss the NO and KC games than miss the OAK and SD games

ApaOps5
08-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Problem is they haven't even played their first pre-season game. So the appeal would likely be shot down by Die Furor (Goodell) before the first regular season game.

slim
08-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Problem is they haven't even played their first pre-season game. So the appeal would likely be shot down by Die Furor (Goodell) before the first regular season game.

Yeah, I was wondering if it would go down like that. You are probably right.

LRtagger
08-05-2008, 07:17 PM
More than likely yep.

Bronco9798
08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
I hope he can appeal it and push it back a few weeks. We will need him against SD.

Please no appeal. Just end the madness and get on with the suspension. Don't need the media talking about it and it being a distraction anymore. Just sit the first two and get back.

NightTrainLayne
08-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Take your medicine like a man and get on with your life.

jrelway
08-05-2008, 08:05 PM
lets just hope sandiego starts out in a slump.

gobroncsnv
08-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Agree with NTL... this is more important than your playbook, BMarsh. Study hard, make it pay off for you.

scott.475
08-05-2008, 08:28 PM
I must confess that I don't have a whole lot of hope this will change him, but hopefully the importance of realizing he was knocked out of games against SD and Jokeland sits with him awhile, especially if we lose either.

Lonestar
08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I think the appeal already happened when he sat down with his lawyer and Rod..

This is a done deal, unless the moron does something else stupid..

Coast Guard
08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
If there's a silver lining...we'll get to see how good this offense is. If we can hold our own without Marshall in the lineup...

hamrob
08-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Marshall's Attorney Irked at NFL:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10106681

BroncoWave
08-05-2008, 09:31 PM
I think the appeal already happened when he sat down with his lawyer and Rod..

This is a done deal, unless the moron does something else stupid..

No, it'll still be a done deal, as in his deal in Denver being done!

Northman
08-05-2008, 09:35 PM

Im actually confident we can be ok without him.

SR
08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Brandon Marshall does not win games single handedly for this team. We've got lots of talent at WR and if our O-line can protect Cutler long enough for him to unload the ball to Royal, Jackson, Colbert, and Stokely, we'll be just fine. I think our running game is going to be phenomenal this year, so it should make passing the ball to any of our receivers easy

Northman
08-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Brandon Marshall does not win games single handedly for this team. We've got lots of talent at WR and if our O-line can protect Cutler long enough for him to unload the ball to Royal, Jackson, Colbert, and Stokely, we'll be just fine. I think our running game is going to be phenomenal this year, so it should make passing the ball to any of our receivers easy

I totally agree, ill call it right now. I think Jackson is going to be a bigger impact than people will give him credit for. Same with Royal.

SR
08-05-2008, 09:54 PM
We have more talent at WR on our team right now than we've had since the Eddie Mac/Rod Smith days. I think we can definitely beat Chokeland without Marshall and can definitely beat the Bolts without him.

Without our best WR, what will the other teams do? Stuff the box and try to stop the run. What's that leave? Our receivers one-on-one all day long.

Az Snake
08-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I like that #88 kid too.

6'5", 250.

His timing with Jay is getting tighter.

And Glenn Martinez has some great moves too.

I'm looking for both of these guys to break-out this season.

Lonestar
08-05-2008, 10:36 PM

you have been getting to close to mikey setting around the campfire sining kumbya way to many nights..

that or it is training camp fever. there is a cure for that it is called preseason when we get our asses kicked.. by DALLAS..:laugh::laugh:

Italianmobstr7
08-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Marshall may not win games single-handedly, but Marshall is a BIG deal. Without Marshall our receiving corps is unproven (besides Stokely) or they're proven to not be so good (Colbert, Jackson has the dropsies). I am always confident in my Broncos, but without Marshall out there, our team is not even close to as good as it is with him on the field. He's a great blocker, as well as a great reciever. The only WR we have that will BREAK A TACKLE and take it to the house. Unless Eddie Royal really pulls out all the stops, our offense will have trouble scoring through the air. The ground game however, is a different story. I'm confident that we can still beat Oakland without Marshall, and San Diego too. But no need to discredit Marshall. The kid is phenomenal , and he's going to be a super star for years to come.

slim
08-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I don't want to rain on the party, but SD had bent us over the last few years. I'm really not sure how losing one of our best players makes that game a lock.

Look, I'm not saying we can't beat SD without Marshall...but it sure would be a lot easier with him.

I know it is a moot point, but........

tomjonesrocks
08-05-2008, 11:20 PM
I've had a really bad day--so apologize if this is too direct for some--but the Chargers are a loss already. Can we please get real? I'd *rather* have him Brandon suspended in that game. What difference does it make? Denver will not "put it all together" with the massive changes and the rookie contributions they need in time to beat the Chargers in week 2--even if they will all put it together.

I'm actually relieved it's 2 games (I'm sure he'll do the management class). They'll beat the Raiders with or without him and they'll lose to the Chargers' with or without him. So it's of no consequence.

Italianmobstr7
08-05-2008, 11:23 PM
you have been getting to close to mikey setting around the campfire sining kumbya way to many nights..

that or it is training camp fever. there is a cure for that it is called preseason when we get our asses kicked.. by DALLAS..:laugh::laugh:

While I agree that maybe some are over confident, who gives a rat's ass if we lose to Dallas in the PRE-SEASON....It's the PRE-SEASON for a reason. Means that the game doesn't count. Now if we go out in the regular season and get walloped by Oak and SD, maybe then you can start talking about how Mike Shanahan shouldn't be confident. I don't know why you hate Shanny so much, but you'd better get used to him. He's got 3 years left on his contract, and Bowlen won't fire him 4-12 this season. Shanny will leave Denver when he WANTS to leave. So you should probably get used to him calling the shots.

OMorange&blue
08-05-2008, 11:24 PM
shaddap....

Lonestar
08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
While I agree that maybe some are over confident, who gives a rat's ass if we lose to Dallas in the PRE-SEASON....It's the PRE-SEASON for a reason. Means that the game doesn't count. Now if we go out in the regular season and get walloped by Oak and SD, maybe then you can start talking about how Mike Shanahan shouldn't be confident. I don't know why you hate Shanny so much, but you'd better get used to him. He's got 3 years left on his contract, and Bowlen won't fire him 4-12 this season. Shanny will leave Denver when he WANTS to leave. So you should probably get used to him calling the shots.

WOW I do not hate mikey I think he sucks as the GM bad VP operation.. he has been a superb HEAD coach when not bogged down doing everything else..

FWIW IMHO unless he gets to the playoffs this year something has to give..
Whether it is the VP stuff or his GM meddling some thing will have to go.

If we wind up like I think we will and do not have half the team on IR he is gone..

Why do y'all think he is blowing smoke up everyones skirt about going to the playoffs.. Pat is breathing down his neck to produce.. he has no more scape goats next year to pawn off the reasons of failure on. They are all his hand picked guys..

You heard it here first..

Can hardly wait to see the responses on this one.. but going to bed so will have to wait.. But I bet my ears will be burning..

Have some mod stuff to do and then adiós ..

OMorange&blue
08-05-2008, 11:46 PM
fwiw imho omg su

Lonestar
08-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Statement by an NFL spokesperson:

Brandon Marshall of the Denver Broncos has been suspended without pay for the team’s first three regular-season games of 2008 for violating the NFL Personal Conduct Policy. If Marshall fully complies with required counseling and other conditions of the suspension, Commissioner Goodell will consider reducing the suspension to two games.

Subject to a potential appeal, Marshall’s three-game suspension would begin on Saturday, August 30 and he would be eligible to return to the Broncos’ active roster on Monday, September 22 following the team’s September 21 game against the New Orleans Saints.

Marshall is eligible to participate in all preseason practices and games.

Italianmobstr7
08-05-2008, 11:48 PM
WOW I do not hate mikey I think he sucks as the GM bad VP operation.. he has been a superb HEAD coach when not bogged down doing everything else..

If we wind up like I think we will and do not have half the team on IR he is gone..

Why do y'all think he is blowing smoke up everyones skirt about going to the playoffs.. Pat is breathing down his neck to produce.. he has no more scape goats next year to pawn off the reasons of failure on. They are all his hand picked guys..

Can hardly wait to see the responses on this one.. but going to bed so will have to wait.. But I bet my ears will be burning..

Have some mod stuff to do and then adiós ..

Maybe it's just because I hadn't been on here too often lately, but it just seems that you've hated Mike. Apparently I stand corrected. You're not alone in thinking that he's a bad GM/VP. Hopefully this year we don't have a failure, but even if we do Mikey still will be given 1 more year to right the ship, IMO. I guess we'll have to wait and see, although I hope that we're waiting a while, because I'd love to be back in the playoffs this year!

hamrob
08-05-2008, 11:54 PM

Have some mod stuff to do and then adiós ..Shanny will never be fired by Pat Bowlen....it's nice to hope though. Good luck with that.

I can't wait to see what all you naysayers say after we start out 2-0. I'm sure it will go something like this. "We always new we had talent...and that Cutler was a stud and if all the stars alligned we could be good".

Ha! :-) No guts!

Lonestar
08-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Shanny will never be fired by Pat Bowlen....it's nice to hope though. Good luck with that.

I can't wait to see what all you naysayers say after we start out 2-0. I'm sure it will go something like this. "We always new we had talent...that Cutler was a stud and if all the stars alligned we could be good".

Ha! :-) No guts!

I hope we do but right now before preseason games a do not knowing what the other teams do I do not see us wining the second game and right now the first one is in doubt..

I can tell you I have never not manned up after a loss I thought we would win nor win I thought was a loss..

I'll give you my best thought and if they do not meet your high expectations sorry about that.. Few folks on here or mania we say I do not speak my mind..

NIght

hamrob
08-06-2008, 12:01 AM
In regards to Mikey being a bad GM...well I for one am liking what I'm seeing. I think we've drastically improved our drafts over the past three years and I love the fact that shanny has the sack to go after free-agents he believes can help this team.

Sure Javon layed an egg...but nobody was saying that his first year in Orange and Blue and yes Henry turned out to be a bum...but many analysts and fans alike agreed with that move when it was made.

All Shanny needs is for JayC to come through for him and all you haters will need to disapear. Be afraid...be very afraid. It's coming!

Stargazer
08-06-2008, 12:02 AM
It's official, and a big loss for the first 2 games of the season(assume he gets counseling).

I will be VERY excited if Denver starts the season 1-0. I don't care if it's last second FG, INT return for TD or Jay delivers a last second drive to win the game. Will be ecstatic if Denver beats Oakland.

hamrob
08-06-2008, 12:02 AM
I hope we do but right now before preseason games a do not knowing what the other teams do I do not see us wining the second game and right now the first one is in doubt..

I can tell you I have never not manned up after a loss I thought we would win nor win I thought was a loss..

I'll give you my best thought and if they do not meet your high expectations sorry about that.. Few folks on here or mania we say I do not speak my mind..

NIghtPleasant dreams!

omac
08-06-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm more concerned about the Oakland game than the SD game. I think to set the season on the right tone, we have to beat Oakland, then at least be competitive with SD.

I liken it to the Giants losing a close game to the Patriots in the regular season, giving them the confidence to not only beat the Pats in the SB, but also all the other teams they've lost to during the regular season, but that they beat in the playoffs.

tboltzcali
08-06-2008, 02:15 AM
You should be worried about both games. Oakland does have a defense. Your receivers are going to be mush. I dont care who wins that game, but I think the advantage goes to the raiders just because they match up better against your offense without your "playmaker". Then you guys will play us, again, another stellar defensive team. jammer and cromartie will shut your #2 and #3 receivers down, whomever they may be. Cutler just might be in trouble all day. LT will have a decent game, and I only say decent cuz he starts off the season slow. Ill be there to watch the bolts start off 2-0.

Crush05
08-06-2008, 02:44 AM
Can anyone tell me why Brandon was suspended and why M. Lynch was let off scott free?:tsk::confused::eek:

dekers
08-06-2008, 03:17 AM
Can anyone tell me why Brandon was suspended and why M. Lynch was let off scott free?:tsk::confused::eek:

because Travis Henry is sharing his weed with the commissioner.:lol:

Nature Boy
08-06-2008, 03:22 AM

I believe that in the NFLPA collective bargaining agreement, a player can not be suspended if it's his 1st offense. I may be wrong here. Maybe someone who knows may wanna elaborate on this. I don't wanna do the work of googling this info.

MOtorboat
08-06-2008, 07:27 AM

One incident vs. six.

I believe that in the NFLPA collective bargaining agreement, a player can not be suspended if it's his 1st offense. I may be wrong here. Maybe someone who knows may wanna elaborate on this. I don't wanna do the work of googling this info.

I don't think Marshall has, of yet, violated the substance abuse policy and isn't in the drug program, and since Lynch wasn't convicted of anything other than a traffic violation, he can't be suspended. At least that's my understanding of what is happening.

jrelway
08-06-2008, 07:51 AM

almost sounds like you want dallas to whoop our asses just to prove your point about shanny not being a good coach. :tsk:

jrelway
08-06-2008, 07:53 AM
btw, **** dallas!

scott.475
08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I haven't been critical at all about Goodell meting out punishment, but when I read in the story that he delayed the decision on Brandon in order to deal with the Favre soap opera, I was really ticked. Consider the fact he was delaying making a decision on an ACTIVE player in order to deal with the temper tantrum of a RETIRED player is just outrageous.

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
almost sounds like you want dallas to whoop our asses just to prove your point about shanny not being a good coach. :tsk:

I dislike the cowgirls just slight less than my thoughts on OAK..

I just call them like I see them..

Last year the whooped up on us because we were not prepared.. and "they cheated" by blitzing when we did not.

They have a really good team we have alot of potential.. until potential overcomes reality I see it as a loss for DEN although it means Nooooooothing.. as is is preseason..

I can't remeber making the comment that mikey is "not being a good coach".

My concern with mikey is everything else he does or is responsible for.. outside coaching

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 12:30 PM
I haven't been critical at all about Goodell meting out punishment, but when I read in the story that he delayed the decision on Brandon in order to deal with the Favre soap opera, I was really ticked. Consider the fact he was delaying making a decision on an ACTIVE player in order to deal with the temper tantrum of a RETIRED player is just outrageous.

Farve had an immediate impact of the welfare of the entire team and franchise..

Marshall's impact is about what happens in 5 weeks..

HOF QB and storied franchise vs small time moron.

Huge difference.. IMO..

Italianmobstr7
08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Just reported on ESPNNEWS that Brandon Marshall WILL appeal the suspension! I don't know if he's allowed to wait to appeal or what, but if he's allowed to wait to appeal he will be able to play until the suspension is either held up, or taken away.

Italianmobstr7
08-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Now there's a source from NFL.COM

Marshall's agent is upset that his client had to learn about the suspension in a press release. If that's the only ground for appeal, expect it to be rejected. "He's anxious to have some modicum of due process," the agent said.
Source: NFL.com

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Just reported on ESPNNEWS that Brandon Marshall WILL appeal the suspension! I don't know if he's allowed to wait to appeal or what, but if he's allowed to wait to appeal he will be able to play until the suspension is either held up, or taken away.

What do they not understand. They all ready had their time with the commish.. what do you suspect they can say that he does not all ready KNOW?

Sounds like the agent trying to make a few bucks on travel time and expenses..

I do not see nay reason for Goodell to change his mind on this. He made his decision AFTER spending time with Marshall his agent and ROD..

time to man up and take your punishment..

Now there's a source from NFL.COM

Marshall's agent is upset that his client had to learn about the suspension in a press release. If that's the only ground for appeal, expect it to be rejected. "He's anxious to have some modicum of due process," the agent said.
Source: NFL.com

this is crap, what do they expect a personal invitaion?

drewloc
08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Yeah I don't think it is as doom and gloom as some think it is, but it definitely doesn't help our chances if he is out. Although I am torn on the whole appeal thing, part of me does want him to do it. That way he can possibly play for the division games, but part of me just wants him to man up and take it on the chin to get it over with.

red98
08-06-2008, 01:31 PM

Marshall has 10 days to appeal and is garunteed a "prompt" answer. So an appeal won't delay any suspension in this case.

I think he should appeal tough, it's really just one more chance to make your case to the commish that you are really trying to change etc.

An appeal will probably fail to change anything but it did help Jared Allen and in this case it won't delay anything so I don't see any harm in it.

Italianmobstr7
08-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks Red.

Northman
08-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah I don't think it is as doom and gloom as some think it is, but it definitely doesn't help our chances if he is out. Although I am torn on the whole appeal thing, part of me does want him to do it. That way he can possibly play for the division games, but part of me just wants him to man up and take it on the chin to get it over with.

Sweet avatar man. :D:beer:

Ok, back on topic. :lol:

red98
08-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks Red.

You're welcome!

I do wish his lawyer Harvey would tone down the rhetoric though, that doesn't sound too helpfull to me.

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 01:44 PM
You're welcome!

I do wish his lawyer Harvey would tone down the rhetoric though, that doesn't sound too helpfull to me.

he gets paid by the word..

red98
08-06-2008, 01:46 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, he's trying to justify his fee.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2008, 02:29 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_10115760

Marshall pledges best behavior

DOVE VALLEY — A day after learning he would be suspended three games for a violation of the NFL's conduct policy, Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall said today he plans to work on becoming a better player on the football field and a better man off it.

Speaking to reporters for the first time since training camp started, Marshall, the team's No. 1 receiver, spoke vaguely about NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's ruling Tuesday, preferring to talk about his future. Goodell handed Marshall a three-game suspension, though the penalty will be reduced to two games if Marshall agrees to go to counseling. There are additional conditions that have not been disclosed.

"I'm just going to do everything I'm supposed to, whether it's off the field or on the field, and get past this," Marshall said.

Marshall's attorney, Harvey Steinberg, said Tuesday evening that Marshall will appeal.

Marshall, who caught 102 passes last season, is allowed to remain with the team throughout the preseason, but will be unable to join the team once his suspension starts. He will miss the season opener at Oakland on Sept. 8 and the team's first home game, Sept. 14, against San Diego. The third game is Invesco Field against New Orleans on Sept. 21.

"Anytime you lose a guy like Brandon for a couple of games, it's going to hurt. He does stuff on the football field that not many people can do," quarterback Jay Cutler said.

Marshall will likely be replaced by either Darrell Jackson or Keary Colbert, veterans who were signed by Denver in the offseason. Rookie Eddie Royal has also been practicing with the first-team base defense and could see significant playing time in Marshall's absence.

"We're going to have to make do. We don't have any choice with it," Cutler said. "That's the decision, so we're going to have to move on and make it happen without him."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

BroncoJoe
08-06-2008, 02:35 PM
That (you know what) Lindsay Jones is probably throwing a party at her house.

topscribe
08-06-2008, 03:04 PM

Marshall's attorney was spot on with the irony of this: He will be appealing
it to the same party who did the suspending.

Some appeal . . .

Nonetheless, hurt as it may for a couple games, it just might do BMarsh
some good in the long run. Hope so, anyway.

-----

Broncos Mtnman
08-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Marshall has 10 days to appeal and is garunteed a "prompt" answer. So an appeal won't delay any suspension in this case.

I think he should appeal tough, it's really just one more chance to make your case to the commish that you are really trying to change etc.

An appeal will probably fail to change anything but it did help Jared Allen and in this case it won't delay anything so I don't see any harm in it.

Not quite right....

You're correct about the 10 days on Marshall's part, and even right about a "prompt" answer from the Goodell (a word open to interpretation).

Here's the process....

- File an appeal within 10 days

- If he loses the appeal, the suspension can not begin until Marshall has another hearing with Goodell. If Marshall's appeal was unsucessful, it's possible his suspension would occur later in the season

- During the suspension, Marshall cannot use the Broncos' facilities or practice with the team

So, it's possible he could serve later in the season, even if he loses. Whether that's good or bad, who knows? But it would be nice to have our total offense in those first division games.

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Not quite right....

You're correct about the 10 days on Marshall's part, and even right about a "prompt" answer from the Goodell (a word open to interpretation).

Here's the process....

- File an appeal within 10 days

- If he loses the appeal, the suspension can not begin until Marshall has another hearing with Goodell. If Marshall's appeal was unsucessful, it's possible his suspension would occur later in the season

- During the suspension, Marshall cannot use the Broncos' facilities or practice with the team

So, it's possible he could serve later in the season, even if he loses. Whether that's good or bad, who knows? But it would be nice to have our total offense in those first division games.

get it done and over with so we do not have all the hoopla all year like last year and that moron Thenry..

This team needs even less distractions going on than last years more veteran unit.. IMO

Retired_Member_001
08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
get it done and over with so we do not have all the hoopla all year like last year and that moron Thenry..

This team needs even less distractions going on than last years more veteran unit.. IMO

Exactly.

You don't want the hearing to take place the week of a big game. Get it over and done with so that the team and Marshall can get on with the season.

BeefStew25
08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Long term this is the best thing to happen to BM. Shame is a funny thing.

Northman
08-06-2008, 03:42 PM

Exactly. I hate "what ifs". We could very well lose those two games with Marshall so if that happens and then we lose him later in the season it just makes it that much worse to drag it out. Get in there, get it done and move on. Lets not dance around it all season long. Its better to finish strong than start strong.

Lonestar
08-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Exactly. I hate "what ifs". We could very well lose those two games with Marshall so if that happens and then we lose him later in the season it just makes it that much worse to drag it out. Get in there, get it done and move on. Lets not dance around it all season long. Its better to finish strong than start strong.

we played the dance all year with the scumbag thenry and while no one can put a FOR SURE sign on it how much did that take players minds off of the GOAL winning games..

MAN UP take your lashes and move on without whining about it..

AS TOP said they are going to appeal IT o the guy who handed down the punishment.. what the hell are they thinking about.. The Facts are in they set down and talked it over a month ago..

Unless they have something NEW to present that they did not bring up then what has changed??

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Vic Lombardi just stated on CBS4 TV, that Marshall will appeal, and part of the appeal process will be to negotiate which games he will sit out. Then Lombardi said, if Marshall loses the appeal, it will be the first two games.

scott.475
08-06-2008, 11:19 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_10115760

Marshall pledges best behavior

DOVE VALLEY — A day after learning he would be suspended three games for a violation of the NFL's conduct policy, Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall said today he plans to work on becoming a better player on the football field and a better man off it.

Speaking to reporters for the first time since training camp started, Marshall, the team's No. 1 receiver, spoke vaguely about NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's ruling Tuesday, preferring to talk about his future. Goodell handed Marshall a three-game suspension, though the penalty will be reduced to two games if Marshall agrees to go to counseling. There are additional conditions that have not been disclosed.

"I'm just going to do everything I'm supposed to, whether it's off the field or on the field, and get past this," Marshall said.

Marshall's attorney, Harvey Steinberg, said Tuesday evening that Marshall will appeal.

Marshall, who caught 102 passes last season, is allowed to remain with the team throughout the preseason, but will be unable to join the team once his suspension starts. He will miss the season opener at Oakland on Sept. 8 and the team's first home game, Sept. 14, against San Diego. The third game is Invesco Field against New Orleans on Sept. 21.

"Anytime you lose a guy like Brandon for a couple of games, it's going to hurt. He does stuff on the football field that not many people can do," quarterback Jay Cutler said.

Marshall will likely be replaced by either Darrell Jackson or Keary Colbert, veterans who were signed by Denver in the offseason. Rookie Eddie Royal has also been practicing with the first-team base defense and could see significant playing time in Marshall's absence.

"We're going to have to make do. We don't have any choice with it," Cutler said. "That's the decision, so we're going to have to move on and make it happen without him."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

YAWWWN...been there, done that, been sold the shirt. In other words, I'll believe it when I see it Brandon, and not a moment before. GROW UP ALREADY!

topscribe
08-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Broncos WR Marshall Gets 3-game Suspension

Aug 5, 11:05 PM (ET)

By ARNIE STAPLETON
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -The Denver Broncos will start the season without wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who was suspended by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for three games for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

Marshall was summoned to Goodell's New York offices on July 18 to explain a series of off-the-field misdeeds over the past year, most notably his March 6 arrest on a domestic violence warrant filed by his former girlfriend in Atlanta.

Marshall, who is due in court next month for a drunken driving trial, can have his suspension reduced to two games if he undergoes counseling and abides by other conditions, which the NFL did not specify.

"There's no basis for discipline," Marshall's lawyer, Harvey Steinberg, argued during an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday night. "Mr. Marshall has not been convicted nor charged with a crime."

The league's personal conduct policy that Goodell strengthened last year states: "It's not enough to simply avoid being found guilty of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard. Persons who fail to live up to this standard are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime."

Marshall's suspension is much shorter than those given Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones and Michael Vick under Goodell's watch.

Marshall will appeal the suspension, Steinberg said while questioning whether that would be an act of futility: "I get to appeal to the guy who imposed the discipline," Steinberg said.

Steinberg was angry that he and Marshall learned of the commissioner's decision via a press release.

Steinberg said he also had no idea what conditions Marshall would have to meet aside from counseling to have the suspension reduced by a game.

"I am assuming the NFL will send out another press release to tell us," Steinberg said.

He said Marshall had been hoping for a simple warning and was disappointed to get slapped with a suspension.

"He's having one of his best training camps," Steinberg said. "I told him we would appeal it, and he's anxious to have some modicum of due process."

If the suspension stands, Marshall will miss the Broncos' season opener at Oakland on Sept. 8 and the team's home opener against San Diego the following week. They face New Orleans at home in Week 3.

The ruling came down after the Broncos were finished with both of their practices and a spokesman said coach Mike Shanahan wouldn't address the matter until his scheduled Wednesday morning news conference.

The Broncos had been hoping to learn sooner about Marshall's status but realized the commissioner was bogged down with the Brett Favre saga.

Marshall emerged as quarterback Jay Cutler's primary target during a breakout 2007 season, catching 102 passes for 1,325 yards, but he's made news on and off the field since. In March he needed surgery on his right arm after he fell into a television set, he said, while horsing around with his brother.

Despite missing most of the team's offseason workouts as a result, Marshall has put aside any worries about his health or the specter of a suspension to consistently shine at practice.

Earlier in the week, teammates said they were hoping Marshall would only get a warning.

"He doesn't deserve any of that because he is not a bad guy," cornerback Dre' Bly said. "You hear stuff about what the other guys are doing. He is out here working hard, and he is ready to go."

Marshall's pending DUI trial could not have factored into the commissioner's ruling because it didn't fall under the personal conduct policy that would allow for suspension.

http://sports.excite.com/news/08052008/v8511.html

I'll be surprised if Bly isn't fined now . . .

-----