PDA

View Full Version : A. Smith now starting in Detroit, has 3 picks and 1 TD

broncofaninfla
10-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Q&A: Did Broncos give up too easily on Alphonso Smith?

By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/16/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2010/1016/20101016__qanda~p1_200.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=3349027 ) Detroit Lions cornerback Alphonso Smith. (AP | Paul Sancya)

Welcome back. Today's question comes from Connor McManus in Blacksburg, Va.:
Q: I noticed that Alphonso Smith has started three games for the Lions and has performed admirably while racking up three picks. I watched him in college and I thought he was going to be a solid pro. Did the Broncos just give up on him too quickly or did he not fit our defensive scheme?
A: Connor, certainly the Detroit Lions' actions have spoken louder than words in this case. The Lions haven't publicly said they believe the Broncos gave up on Smith too soon, but they have started him in three games already this season.
Smith started as the nickel cornerback - the fifth defensive back - when the Lions opened games against Minnesota and Philadelphia in that look, as well as Smith's start this past week at right cornerback in the Lions' base defense.
He leads the Lions with three interceptions, including one he has returned for a touchdown. The Broncos have three interceptions as a team, one each for Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins and Perrish Cox.
And if the Broncos continue to struggle in many facets of the games as they have in a 2-3 start so far, Smith will become another thorn in their side in the arena of public opinion they wish would simply go away.
Kind of like a defensive Peyton Hillis.
The Broncos thought enough of Smith in the 2009 draft to trade away a first-round pick to move up in the second round to get him. That is quite an investment for a player who isn't selected in the first round, but that's how badly the Broncos wanted a player who set the ACC record for interceptions in his career at Wake Forest.
He never seemed to play with the confidence in his time with the Broncos in coverage, even in practice, that he did in college. But it is a rather quick hook to have sent him on his way before he started his second NFL season.
Tight end Richard Quinn, for example, is also a second-round pick in the '09 draft, has not started a game for the Broncos, has no career catches and has been a game-day inactive twice this season.
Quinn is still on the roster, learning his trade even as he plays behind a player (Dan Gronkowski) the Broncos acquired from Detroit in the Smith trade. It is odd to many in the league for the Broncos to have surrendered on a cornerback from the same round in the same draft when most personnel people believe it is far more difficult to find cornerbacks in today's NFL than tight ends.
Privately, some with the Broncos say Smith simply didn't learn their system and didn't want to adapt to what the Broncos were asking him to do, that he was stubborn.
But watching him practice, it was clear he also wasn't confident in what he was doing and sometimes that can mean a player isn't taking criticism well or the way the criticism is delivered as he struggles.
Smith has hinted at that since saying he let people in Denver develop a certain perception of him. He was also asked publicly when he got to Detroit if his confidence was shaken, and his response was; "not much but if I was still in Denver, my answer would be different."
The Lions like Smith as a player and believe he has a pretty bright future.
Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com (jlegwold@denverpost.com)

Read more: Q&A: Did Broncos give up too easily on Alphonso Smith? - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16353729#ixzz12YhGd5m0) http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16353729#ixzz12YhGd5m0

Northman
10-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Maybe being traded gave Smith the kick in the ass he needed. He certainly didnt do anything to outplay his counterparts here.

Lonestar
10-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Well I have always thought that was a good choice getting a CB a year early to get the exprience for when Champ either moved inside out to another city.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Northman
10-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Im pretty happy with Cox so far. At least he is contributing in his first year.

TimTebow15MVP
10-16-2010, 06:17 PM
no phonso punk ass gave up. phonso admitted he lost all confidence and quit in denver. i like our corner situation. cox is 10x mroe talented than phonso and has great size and faster and fluid hips. i like vaughn also and quan.

the broncos wont miss phonso but we will miss the first round pick it costed to get his ass. not necassarely miss the pick but it cooulda been used to draft somebody else that would not quit maybe. ugh

Softskull
10-16-2010, 06:25 PM
At least we got the pass catching TE we needed in Gronkowski.

I think there is a provisional (maybe 5th) included in the deal too.

Alphonso is working in a zone coverage that is best suited to his skills and he's playing on turf again like he had in Wake Forest.

EMB6903
10-16-2010, 06:29 PM
^ is that sarcasm?

Because Gronkowski is a joke.

IMO the 2 biggest mistakes Mcdaniels has done so far as the HC of the Denver Broncos.....

1. Trade a 1st rounder for Alphonso Smith
2. Give up on Alphonso Smith a year later after investing so much in him only a year earlier.

TimTebow15MVP
10-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Yup we shoulda been able to sell detroit for a bit higher of a pick for him but he had to go. the guy quit and walked around with hishead down. because 3 rookies were out playing him. Like the other guy said he will benefit from playing in that division in a dome. the vikes play in a dome. well see how he plays on the road when the grass gets a little nasty but hes def comfortable on the turf. he simply cannot cut and run with wideouts on natural grass.

gronskowski has shown NOTHING not even a fluke play here and there. im still waiting to see him to anything. him and quinns bum ass. which was the 2nd worst move of mcdaniels short career as a headcoach. drafting quinn in round 2..... 0 o a guy who wasnt even gonna get drafted.

LRtagger
10-16-2010, 08:40 PM
If Detroit had Champ and Goodman and Cox, he wouldn't be starting.

He was a scrub here. He's a decent player on a team with no talent. The worst part about Smith is we will never get the pick back that we wasted on his sorry ass.

jhildebrand
10-16-2010, 08:41 PM
I can't nor wont fault McDaniels for moving Alphonso the way he did. It was clear that Smith wasn't going to do a damn thing. If anything McDaniels should be given credit for cutting his losses and acting the way he did.

IIRC, the Lions also got rid of Ernie Sims in that deal and he was a high pick too.

I like Cox and Sydquan much better than Alphonso anyway.

DenBronx
10-16-2010, 09:01 PM
I hated the Smith pick but yes we did give up on him too early. Because we gave up a 1st rounder he should have had more time to develop here. Moss has had what 20 years now and is still a scrub??? Why does he get so much time but not Smith? Why didn't Smith get at least this year under a new DC? And with all of the injuries it was even more of a dumb move to make such a quick decision. I don't like the non chalant useage of our first day draft choices lately.

For the record. Gronkowski sucks!

3 picks by Alphie...:coffee: Ouch.

Jaws
10-17-2010, 03:02 AM
I wish him well.
Too much baggage here for him to succeed I think and he didn't have the mental strength to cope with or overcome that.

bcbronc
10-17-2010, 03:03 AM
my only real problem with the whole Smith situation is that McD showed no faith in his own process.

if you feel a guy is worth giving up a 1st rounder, how do you get from there to dumping him for a scrub one season later? I know McD has said something about "thinking they were ready, but now realizing they weren't" for his first draft, but it concerns me a tad that he seems to have so little confidence in his own evaluation process.

Lonestar
10-17-2010, 03:43 AM
my only real problem with the whole Smith situation is that McD showed no faith in his own process.

if you feel a guy is worth giving up a 1st rounder, how do you get from there to dumping him for a scrub one season later? I know McD has said something about "thinking they were ready, but now realizing they weren't" for his first draft, but it concerns me a tad that he seems to have so little confidence in his own evaluation process.

Not sure wh*t the big deal is it is not like it has been the first DAFT pick ever made in DEN or for that matter the NFL. It happens and will happen again.

silkamilkamonico
10-17-2010, 10:53 AM
I was not enamored with Smith at all. He couldn't cover in Denver, he surely couldn't tackle. I'm glad he's finding his niche in Detroit, because I chalk it up to nothing more than a terrible draft pick. He didn't show any ounce of potential here whatsoever.

As far as Cox goes, I am not sure why people are so smitten with him. He was a 5th round pick, and he's a rookie certainly playing like a rookie. I don't think he's a terrible player by any means, but the thought of him being a starting CB for us in the future right now scares the hell out of me. He reminds me of a Deltha O Neal in Denver when he was young too. I think he's fine rotation or nickel player, but that's about it, IMHO.

Ravage!!!
10-17-2010, 11:14 AM
If Detroit had Champ and Goodman and Cox, he wouldn't be starting.

He was a scrub here. He's a decent player on a team with no talent. The worst part about Smith is we will never get the pick back that we wasted on his sorry ass.

Yeah.. but he couldn't even beat out walk-on FA's either. Not just Champ and Goodman. He couldn't beat out anyone.

Ravage!!!
10-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Not sure wh*t the big deal is it is not like it has been the first DAFT pick ever made in DEN or for that matter the NFL. It happens and will happen again.

wow :lol: I think everyone just went through some kind of dimensional warp. Now its ok to make a mistake with a 1st round pick! :lol:

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-17-2010, 11:17 AM
It's over stop dwelling on it please it's not going to bring him back

Edmonton Bronco Fan
10-17-2010, 11:43 AM
I was always a A.Smith fan so it was disappointing when we let him go.

I think he was merely a guy that maybe needed something as simple as a change of scenery. But I have to disagree with Silk, in my eyes, I did see flashes of potential in Smith while he was here. To me, it seems that people (some fans) have unrealistic expectations and refuse to show patience in letting these kids develop at their own pace.

TXBRONC
10-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Maybe being traded gave Smith the kick in the ass he needed. He certainly didnt do anything to outplay his counterparts here.

There is no reason to regret the trade not that it would do any good. As you said Cox is already contributing so really don't think we missed out on anything.

Northman
10-17-2010, 09:33 PM
There is no reason to regret the trade not that it would do any good. As you said Cox is already contributing so really don't think we missed out on anything.

Oh, i dont miss him. He probably gives up more TD's off poor tackling than his 3 Ints. :lol:

Ravage!!!
10-17-2010, 09:35 PM

I think he was merely a guy that maybe needed something as simple as a change of scenery. But I have to disagree with Silk, in my eyes, I did see flashes of potential in Smith while he was here. To me, it seems that people (some fans) have unrealistic expectations and refuse to show patience in letting these kids develop at their own pace.

yeah.. but when you use the #14 overall pick on a guy, and un-drafted rookies are beating you out and "develop" faster than the guy that is being paid MUCHmore money, that the life of being drafted higher. Many people have failed in the NFL becuase of where they were drafted. Thats just part of it.

TXBRONC
10-17-2010, 09:42 PM

EBF Smith was out played by a 5th rounder, a 7th rounder, and kid we got as a CFA.

jhildebrand
10-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Well we have had a
Hillis is doing well thread
Marshall is doing well thread
Cutler is doing well thread
Scheffler is doing well thread.

This is a look at A Smith thread.

Who is going to create the Mike Leach thread due to Paxton's botch on the snap today? :confused:

I vote for Frau :D

LRtagger
10-18-2010, 09:28 AM

There were camp reports from fans that he was dogging it in practice. And he pretty much admitted this when he got traded.

I liked the pick at first because I thought he could be a player and had an extra year to learn from the GOAT, but he wet the bed in Denver.

Whatever we got a kid that is more than capable of taking over when Champ goes. It just sucks we cant get that #14 pick back.

Gimpygod
10-18-2010, 11:56 AM
wow :lol: I think everyone just went through some kind of dimensional warp. Now its ok to make a mistake with a 1st round pick! :lol:

No, we have entered the McDaniels zone… A bizarre world where every decision he makes is correct no matter how seemingly stupid, unwarranted or reactionary. People who would criticize Mike Shanahan, a fellow who brought us great success, about his drafting prowess now concede that drafting is at best an iffy prospect. This is why I absolutely hate trading proven players for draft picks and then pretending as though you have gotten a fair exchange.

I Eat Staples
10-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Wasting a first round pick on Smith was bad. Trading him for an awful TE made the situation even worse. Oh, and the worst part? We traded for a horrible receiving TE from the same team we traded Scheffler, a good receiving TE, to.

Lonestar
10-18-2010, 12:35 PM

this one is way to good to pass up.

1996 - Denver Broncos
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 15 John Mobley OLB Kutztown
1997 - Denver Broncos
1 28 Trevor Pryce DT Clemson
998 - Denver Broncos
1 30 Marcus Nash WR Tennessee
1999 - Denver Broncos
1 31 Al Wilson MLB Tennessee
2000 - Denver Broncos
1 15 Deltha O'Neal CB California
2001 - Denver Broncos
1 24 Willie Middlebrooks CB Minnesota
2002 - Denver Broncos
1 19 Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
2003 - Denver Broncos
1 20 George Foster T Georgia
2004 - Denver Broncos
1 17 D.J. Williams OLB Miami (Fla.)
2006 - Denver Broncos
1 11 Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt
2007 - Denver Broncos
1 17 Jarvis Moss DE Florida
2008 - Denver Broncos
1 12 Ryan Clady T Boise State

what a soft ball to hit out of the park.

total losers.

out of that group two starters for our team still playing.

two retired for medical reasons and one playing as a back up (quality) for another team.

and lets not even get into 2nd and 3rd rounders.

wow that was way to much fun.

MileHighCrew
10-18-2010, 12:38 PM
I still wouldn't want him back.... no thanks. He is a head case and didn't appreciate playing for the greatest team in sports. Go to Detroit.

Northman
10-18-2010, 12:38 PM

1996 - Denver Broncos
1997 - Denver Broncos
998 - Denver Broncos
1999 - Denver Broncos
2000 - Denver Broncos
2001 - Denver Broncos
2002 - Denver Broncos
2003 - Denver Broncos
2004 - Denver Broncos
2006 - Denver Broncos
2007 - Denver Broncos
2008 - Denver Broncos
1 12 Ryan Clady T Boise Statewhat a soft ball to hit out of the park.

total losers.

two retired for medical reasons and one playing as a back up (quality) for another team.

You clearly missed the point of his post.

I Eat Staples
10-18-2010, 12:54 PM

1996 - Denver Broncos
1997 - Denver Broncos
998 - Denver Broncos
1999 - Denver Broncos
2000 - Denver Broncos
2001 - Denver Broncos
2002 - Denver Broncos
2003 - Denver Broncos
2004 - Denver Broncos
2006 - Denver Broncos
2007 - Denver Broncos
2008 - Denver Broncos
1 12 Ryan Clady T Boise State

what a soft ball to hit out of the park.

total losers.

That has nothing to do with McD or his drafts. I'm not concerned about former coaches' draft picks, it's the current one that matters. You're justifying McD's mistakes by bringing up Shanny's. It doesn't work like that.

Northman
10-18-2010, 01:02 PM
That has nothing to do with McD or his drafts. I'm not concerned about former coaches' draft picks, it's the current one that matters. You're justifying McD's mistakes by bringing up Shanny's. It doesn't work like that.

Yea, but thats never stopped him before.