PDA

View Full Version : Training days: Shanahan sees big things for Broncos in '08

Magnificent Seven
08-05-2008, 01:32 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Good thing Jay Cutler, the Broncos' third-year quarterback, has his strength back. He's going to need it this year.

The Broncos, a team dismissed by many after two straight years out of the playoffs, are optimistic.

Coach Mike Shanahan, a man not normally given to sound bites, all but guaranteed a return to the playoffs on the radio last week. On Monday, he waxed enthusiastic about what he called an improved offensive line, an improved defense, the team's best depth at running back in his 14 years as head coach, and -- get this -- a group of wide receivers whom he has as much as proclaimed the best in the league.

How much of that actually comes to pass remains to be seen, of course. But of this much we can be fairly sure: In a city which once worshipped at the altar of John Elway, if the rest of the team turns out to be as good as Shanahan seems to believe it can be, Cutler will be expected to take a leap to what is euphemistically referred to as the "next level," or, more simply, as greatness.

"If we can stay fairly healthy, I think you'll see him reach that level and possibly then some," Shanahan said.

Cutler will need to muster all his strength to carry those expectations on his shoulders.

At least, he seems to have it. By now, you probably know the outline, how Cutler was diagnosed with diabetes in the spring, how it was figured as the reason he lost nearly 35 pounds during the 2007 season, became easily fatigued and run down. Was that the reason his completion percentage dropped from 65.8 in the season's first half to 61.7 in the second half? Perhaps.

Mysteriously, no one figured out the reason for the huge weight loss until April. Even Shanahan said he attributed it to nerves.

"Last year, you could just see the guy was worn out," said wide receiver Brandon Stokley. "He'd be falling asleep before the games in the locker room. He was just absolutely worn down. Nobody knew why. He was thin, and now you can see he's back to his old self. So I think that's going to help, and, I think, experience. There's nothing that can take the place of experience. He's been (starting) now for a year and a half."

Cutler, who said he was down to 201 pounds for the season-ending game against Minnesota, has regained the weight; he's now a solid 233. The diabetes is under control and monitored on a regular basis.

He acknowledged that he didn't get much sleep during the season and that he was "always tired."

"I'd come here in the morning, I'd be tired," he said. "I'd leave here, I'd be tired. We'd play games, before the game, I'd be dead tired. So it's just nice to feel normal again."

Denver does not exactly have a lot of household names around Cutler, but you have to figure Shanahan will find a way to move the ball and score points, because that's what he always has done.

The group of unproven backs is headed by Selvin Young, who averaged 5.2 yards a carry as an undrafted rookie in 2007 and openly has set a goal of rushing for 2,000 yards. He has good hands, good smarts, a good work ethic and a chip on his shoulder.

"I came (undrafted) off the street, nobody thought I could play," Young said. "So for me to go in and accomplish a little bit my first year and to come back more hungry and wanting it a lot more, I feel is the mindset that I need to have right now. There's no way, no how that I can get complacent."

With the retirement of Rod Smith, the wideouts are headed by Brandon Marshall, who had a terrific season a year ago but is likely facing a two- or three-game suspension for repeated off-field issues. In Stokley, the Broncos also have an outstanding third-down slot receiver. But the others range from unproven rookie Eddie Royal, a second round draft choice who looks like a potential star in practice, to inconsistent journeymen like Darrell Jackson and Keary Colbert.

"You tell me a team that has a much better cast than that," Shanahan said. "I don't know of any."

Well, New England comes to mind, and there are others. But that's hardly the point. The Broncos will move the ball. The question is whether they can stop opponents from doing the same thing.

The defensive philosophy, or at least the system, is changing. Cornerback Champ Bailey explained that, when Jim Bates was in charge of the defense last year, the system did not fit the players. Bailey said it was too complex and made it too difficult to stop the run, because there was never a defender for the center to block.

Coordinator Bob Slowik has changed that. The linebackers have undergone a major overhaul, with D.J. Williams moving back to his more natural outside spot after a year in the middle, with Bailey's brother, Boss, coming in to play the other outside position, and with a competition for the middle linebacker spot, where veteran acquisition Niko Koutouvides is trying to unseat holdover Nate Webster.

The biggest questions on the defense revolve around the line, which will be counted on to hold opponents to fewer than the 4.6 yards a carry they allowed last year. The return to health of defensive end Jarvis Moss, last year's first-round draft choice, might help. So might defensive tackle DeWayne Robertson, signed as a free agent despite a history of knee troubles; he failed a physical exam with the Cincinnati Bengals.

"When doctors take a look at the knee, they don't understand how he can play," Shanahan said. Yet Robertson rarely missed time while playing for the Jets.

The Broncos' bottom line is that, based on the last two years, they have a lot of catching up to do to catch San Diego, considered by many to have the league's deepest roster, in the AFC West. In four games the last two seasons, the Chargers beat the Broncos by a combined score of 147 to 53. The Broncos did not score a touchdown in either game last year.

"I've never taken a whipping like I did last year, and that kind of pissed me off," Young said.

"I think it pissed everybody off," added Champ Bailey.

It won't take long to find out if things have changed. Denver hosts San Diego in its second game.

"It's one of those challenges early in the season, you can see where you stand," said Young.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=89D62C28D449447834BB0776143EF305? id=09000d5d809c0b69&template=with-video&confirm=true

Magnificent Seven
08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
I trust Mike Shanahan than any NFL coaches.

Simple Jaded
08-05-2008, 03:20 PM
"......a group of wide receivers whom he has as much as proclaimed the best in the league."<------He didn't actually say that did he? :rolleyes:

He's got an Elite WR with huge question marks and that's it!

Well, Stokley is a good slot guy, but that's all he is......Other than that he's got a potential Has-been, a Never-was and a 184LB rookie (Although, according to *You guessed it* Mike Shanahan, he's the best WR in the draft).

Every single time Shanahan does an interview something completely ridiculous comes out of his mouth.

The scary part would be if he actually believes this bullshit......

turftoad
08-05-2008, 03:25 PM
"......a group of wide receivers whom he has as much as proclaimed the best in the league."<------He didn't actually say that did he? :rolleyes:

Well, Stokley is a good slot guy, but that's all he is......Other than that he's got a potential Has-been, a Never-was and a 184LB rookie (Although, according to *You guessed it* Mike Shanahan, he's the best WR in the draft).

Every single time Shanahan does an interview something completely ridiculous comes out of his mouth.

Fluff

Simple Jaded
08-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Fluff

Really?

Don't tell me you're buying that load of BS......

underrated29
08-05-2008, 03:32 PM
I dont know link. I would look at it this way

elite #1wr, best slot guy in the world (stokley #3), then we have djax who is not a has been, and is a great #2, we do have a never was in colbert, and a wanna be in martinez, but we also have a great prospect in royal.

Plus we have scheff who dominates on a regular basis, dan graham, and nate jackson who before he got hurt last year was having better stats than most TE's at the time.

turftoad
08-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Really?

Don't tell me you're buying that load of BS......

Nope............. just saying Shanny is trying to fluff the media, fans and his own players to believe we have a great WR corps.

Marshall should be a stud (when he comes back) Stokley is a good slot guy and as far as I'm concerned the rest are average at best.

I'd love to see Royal win the #2, I think he's got the best shot to put up some #'s.

Simple Jaded
08-05-2008, 04:03 PM
I dont know link. I would look at it this way

elite #1wr, best slot guy in the world (stokley #3), then we have djax who is not a has been, and is a great #2, we do have a never was in colbert, and a wanna be in martinez, but we also have a great prospect in royal.

Plus we have scheff who dominates on a regular basis, dan graham, and nate jackson who before he got hurt last year was having better stats than most TE's at the time.

I won't argue any of that (Not worth the effort), I'm just saying there is no way in hell this WR corp is the best in the league.

Better than Harrison, Wayne, Gonzales, Aromashodu and Roby?

Moss, Welker and Gafney?

Johnson, Housyermama, Simpson and Caldwell?

I hope Shanahan is Coach For Life cause at the very least he and Bronco fans relationship is hysterical, he keeps feeding us BS and we keep believing it......

underrated29
08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
NO i dont, and after re-reading what i wrote i didnt make my self very clear. i meant to say is we could have one of the best wr corps. however i am still with you that the colts, bengals, browns, pats and 1 or 2 others certainly have proven that their wr corps is better.

i do believe that our guys could have better production based on our offenseive talent, but for now its only paper thick. If jay and the guys i listed come through than maybe just maybe we can come back to this thread and say WOW- only time will tell.

hamrob
08-05-2008, 05:05 PM
I like our group and think when the season ends they'll definitely be in the top 10.

Look at it this way. Jay will take that next step...I certainly believe that. Last year he passed for 3,500 yds and 20 TD's. I believe he will top the 4,000 yd mark this year and have 30+ TD's.

If my beliefs come to fruition...we certainly will have one of the best receiving groups in the league.

Perhaps not on talent alone...but based on production...when it is all said and done.

Marshall, DJax, Stokely, Colbert, Royal, Parker, Scheffler, Graham & Jackson

One last note: Royal was the 2nd WR taken in this years draft...is it really that hard to believe that he's potentially the best WR coming out this year and perhaps a potential stud? Add him to Marshall, Stokely, Scheffler along with solid depth and this group (provided they stay healthy) is undoubtedly one of the best in the league.

Simple Jaded
08-05-2008, 05:21 PM
I won't argue their potential, but there is zero reason to believe the Broncos WR's are the best in the league at this point.

They could finish the season Top10 and Broncos fans would take that in a heart beat, but Shanahan would still look foolish for making such a statement.

Seriously, God help us if he actually believes what he's shoveling...:D...

Dean
08-05-2008, 06:57 PM

Yes, he said that. He either means it or is trying to convey some expectations.

He has an elite #1, an extrememly dependable #3, some experienced veterans at #2, and a gifted rookie for wide receivers. He also has a superior receiving TE and two others (if Graham doesn't have to stay in to block) who are dependable options. It sounds pretty good to me.:salute:

After watching/listening for eleven years, I hadn't noticed that but I am aware of posters who can be counted upon to be negative. You choose to always disbelieve and that's okay, but IMO this is the best total group of receivers we have had in some time.

The truth is stranger than fiction and can indded be scary.:lol:

Tned
08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
One last note: Royal was the 2nd WR taken in this years draft...is it really that hard to believe that he's potentially the best WR coming out this year and perhaps a potential stud? Add him to Marshall, Stokely, Scheffler along with solid depth and this group (provided they stay healthy) is undoubtedly one of the best in the league.

I think he was about the 5th WR taken. Most or all going in the 2nd round.

OMorange&blue
08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
D. Jackson.

Please keep your arms inside the car for the duration of the ride.

The management thanks you.

Simple Jaded
08-05-2008, 07:49 PM
You're right, Dean, when Shanahan says something like this I do choose to disbelieve it. Sorry for being negative.

Marshall is an Elite player.

Stokley is a damn good player when he isn't starting.

Jackson? Is Denver getting the Darrell Jackson from Seattle or the most recent version from San Fran? It's a very legitimate question, the Broncos are so sure about it that they gave him a one year contract. This alone makes Shanahan's claim to being the best WR's in the league at this point complete nonsense.

Colbert? Keary Colbert?

Eddie Royal? He's their best hope right now, imo, but you simply can't count on that either. There has been too many players that shine in preseason then do next to nothing in the regular season to count on Royal.

This isn't negativity, it's the absolute truth, there is no reason to think Denver has the best WR's in the league.

Btw, I don't always choose to be negative, I choose to be realistic and objective.

If it's Cheerleaders you want, here ya go, they look much better in the outfit anyway...:D...

http://web1.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Cheerleaders/2008/09_poster_large.jpg

When the Broncos no longer have so much to be negative about, I promise, I'll won't always talk about things that upset you guys......

Bronco9798
08-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Sounds like a Super Bowl year to me!! :listen::noidea:

Dean
08-05-2008, 08:15 PM
You're right, Dean, when Shanahan says something like this I do choose to disbelieve it. Sorry for being negative.

Marshall is an Elite player.

Stokley is a damn good player when he isn't starting.

Jackson? Is Denver getting the Darrell Jackson from Seattle or the most recent version from San Fran? It's a very legitimate question, this makes Shanahan's claim to being the best WR's in the league at this point complete nonsense.

Colbert? Keary Colbert?

Eddie Royal? He's their best hope right now, imo, but you simply can't count on that either. There has been too many players that shine in preseason then do next to nothing in the regular season to count on Royal.

This isn't negativity, it's the absolute truth, there is no reason to think Denver has the best WR's in the league.

Btw, I don't always choose to be negative, I choose to be realistic and objective.

If it's Cheerleaders you want, here ya go......

http://web1.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Cheerleaders/2008/09_poster_large.jpg

When the Broncos no longer have so much to be negative about, I promise, I'll won't always talk about things that upset you guys......

I'm not upset and thanks for the cheerleaders. They brighten up the page.

IMO your posts tend to usually take a negative slant on whatever the topic is and as I stated that's okay- different strokes for different folks. This last year was not a positive experience but that was last year. I didn't bother to look back to previous years to see if in those posts you were "realistic and objective" but my guess is that you were. You may see me as naive and overly positive and that's okay, too.

We just tend to disagree and we will both have to wait for the season to see how it all turns out.

Simple Jaded
08-05-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm not upset and thanks for the cheerleaders. They brighten up the page.

IMO your posts tend to usually take a negative slant on whatever the topic is and as I stated that's okay- different strokes for different folks. This last year was not a positive experience but that was last year. I didn't bother to look back to previous years to see if in those posts you were "realistic and objective" but my guess is that you were. You may see me as naive and overly positive and that's okay, too.

We just tend to disagree and we will both have to wait for the season to see how it all turns out.

Neither, but I'm not saying that what you think is wrong, or even different from what I think. By the end of the season the Broncos may in deed have the best set of WR's in the game, but at the moment that statement by Shanahan is ludicrous. That's my only point.

I'm as optimistic as anybody about the upcoming season, but those posts seem to be forgotten the second I say something with a negative slant of things. You can be positive about the Broncos without constantly ignoring the negatives about them, especially considering the way things have gone lately. Suspensions, firings, hirings, retirements, a litany of injuries......if it were not for bad luck the Broncos would have no luck at all!

It seems to me that people want to ignore the problems/reality and buy into the Hype, but I just can't sit here and say the Broncos have the best WR's in the league simply because the slight possibility exists, or that Ryan Torain is a 1st round talent simply because he is now a Bronco, I don't have it in me. And when I read something this ridiculous I have to comment on it, the problem is, most people don't like what I have to say, whether it's true or not.

As for the reality of the Broncos WR's, I do not disagree with the notion that Denver has the best group of WR's they've had in years, but here is the negative slant: That's not saying much...:D...

fcspikeit
08-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Neither, but I'm not saying that what you think is wrong, or even different from what I think. By the end of the season the Broncos may in deed have the best set of WR's in the game, but at the moment that statement by Shanahan is ludicrous. That's my only point.

I'm as optimistic as anybody about the upcoming season, but those posts seem to be forgotten the second I say something with a negative slant of things. You can be positive about the Broncos without constantly ignoring the negatives about them, especially considering the way things have gone lately. Suspensions, firings, hirings, retirements, a litany of injuries......if it were not for bad luck the Broncos would have no luck at all!

It seems to me that people want to ignore the problems/reality and buy into the Hype, but I just can't sit here and say the Broncos have the best WR's in the league simply because the slight possibility exists, or that Ryan Torain is a 1st round talent simply because he is now a Bronco, I don't have it in me. And when I read something this ridiculous I have to comment on it, the problem is, most people don't like what I have to say, whether it's true or not.

As for the reality of the Broncos WR's, I do not disagree with the notion that Denver has the best group of WR's they've had in years, but here is the negative slant: That's not saying much...:D...

I like to read what you have to say Link...

I did want to point something out though, Shanahan didn't say, "we have the best WR's in the NFL" he said, "You tell me a team that has a much better cast than that," Shanahan said. "I don't know of any."

Does that really sound like, we have the best WR's in the NFL? He said he don't know of any teams that have a much better receiving cast then us.

In short, I agree with you that we don't have "the Best" WR core in the NFL. But I also agree with Shanahan that even the teams that have a better WR core then us, aren't that much better.

Think of it this way, we have 1 of the top 5 CB tandams in the NFL our WR's get to face each day. If our lousy WR's can score on Champ and Bly, I would bet they can score on just about anyone :beer: