PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Bowlen's vote is the one that counts

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2010, 10:11 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16341126

Today's question about the Broncos comes from Gary Pedraza. Send your question via e-mail to jlegwold@denverpost.com.

Q: Recently, I heard an interview with Josh McDaniels. A reporter asked how the contract negotiations were going with Champ Bailey. Josh said he had recommended that (the Broncos) re-sign him, but it's out of his hands. Is Josh McDaniels no longer taking part in player personnel decisions?

A: Gary, your question deals with an often-misinterpreted phrase throughout the NFL, including by many people in my profession.

Often coaches will take a job and strive to have "total control."

Josh McDaniels, like many other head coaches in the league, has final say among the team's football operations staff about hiring people on his coaching staff and the make-up of his roster.

McDaniels wanted to trade for running back Laurence Maroney and the Broncos did just that. McDaniels wanted to trade Alphonso Smith for Dan Gronkowski, and the Broncos did that too.

But the only person with total control of an NFL team is, and always will be, the person who owns it.

In the Broncos' case, that's Pat Bowlen. And these days, Bowlen, whose office is just down the hall from McDaniels', has chief operating officer Joe Ellis run the day-to-day operations of the Broncos with Bowlen's blessing.

And Bowlen, in the person of Ellis, can override any decision McDaniels or anyone else in the organization wants to make. Such are the perks of the title of owner.

In the case of the contract negotiations with Bailey, that train got knocked off the rails when Bowlen and Ellis decided there was too much uncertainty, given Bailey's age (32), and on the league's labor front, to do the deal now.

With a lockout looming in 2011 if no new collective bargaining agreement is reached, teams are fearful about their revenues next year, and in the current state of negotiations, teams don't want to look like they're throwing money around.

The Broncos informed Bailey's representatives that talks would be halted, even though the two sides were closing in on the final stages of an agreement.

That decision came from above McDaniels. So, McDaniels does have the final say on personnel matters and his coaching staff.

But final contract decisions come from down the hall — Bowlen's office.

Ravage!!!
10-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Maybe. Bowlen is a pretty hands-off type of owner. He likes to hire people and let them steer the ship.

But in the Bailey's case it doesn't really matter to me. I think it says something to the locker room when a contract offer is pulled, as it was, when it was known the player was going to sign YOUR offer. I didn't like that, no matter who's decision it was.

rcsodak
10-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Maybe. Bowlen is a pretty hands-off type of owner. He likes to hire people and let them steer the ship.

But in the Bailey's case it doesn't really matter to me. I think it says something to the locker room when a contract offer is pulled, as it was, when it was known the player was going to sign YOUR offer. I didn't like that, no matter who's decision it was.

But it makes your prognostication look better.

Ravage!!!
10-15-2010, 11:50 AM
But it makes your prognostication look better.

:confused: What are you talking about?

rcsodak
10-15-2010, 02:23 PM
:confused: What are you talking about?
Back when you matter-of-factly made it known that there was "no way" they were going to re-sign champ.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Ravage!!!
10-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Back when you matter-of-factly made it known that there was "no way" they were going to re-sign champ.

ahh, I wasn't sure if thats what you were referring to, or something more recent. Yeah, I did believe that. Still did until just recently when I thought I was going to be surprised with the signing.

Now, I'll still be surprised, just not as shocked if we re-sign him.

Bosco
10-15-2010, 05:31 PM
I think it says something to the locker room when a contract offer is pulled, as it was, when it was known the player was going to sign YOUR offer. I didn't like that, no matter who's decision it was.

While I doubt anyone liked it, these guys...for the most part...act like the professionals they are and know that there are obvious outside circumstances effecting this issue. No player worth his salt is going to be that upset with the Broncos over this.

broncobryce
10-15-2010, 05:38 PM
No. It is all meanie-head Mcdaniels.

WARHORSE
10-16-2010, 04:14 AM
As many have spoken here, including myself.....the buck stops on Bowlens desk.

Each day and every day.:salute:

PAINTERDAVE
10-16-2010, 11:36 AM
And the elephant in the room is the lockout.

This move by Bowlen...

(who is a primary part of the negotiations,
as is every NFL owner)

says a LOT.

I think it telegraphs that there WILL be a lockout.

Enjoy your football now, boys...
it is gonna be a LONG offseason.

Ravage!!!
10-16-2010, 12:13 PM
While I doubt anyone liked it, these guys...for the most part...act like the professionals they are and know that there are obvious outside circumstances effecting this issue. No player worth his salt is going to be that upset with the Broncos over this.

Really? you don 't think that the players in the locker room, the friends that consider themselves family of this player, the ones that know their contracts are going to be up, the very people that can associate themselves with Champs's side of things, the ones that see the leader Champ is on the field/huddle/locker room/ practice field... won't have a "player's perspective" on this and not feel and understand the side of "the man" in this situation? Really? You honestly don't think the players side with players on their contract negotiations?

Hey.. if thats something you wish to tell yourself... ok :coffee:

Lonestar
10-16-2010, 12:40 PM
As many have spoken here, including myself.....the buck stops on Bowlens desk.

Each day and every day.:salute:

Actually the BUCK starts in Bowlen pocket/ bank account.

For without it we would still be a sencond rate if that team.

A lot like the bills or bungals. Nice cities decent teams but the ownership has not commited to being first rate by spending the bucks for top notch coaching nor players.