PDA

View Full Version : broncos McDaniels seeks a tougher Broncos squad vs. Jets

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2010, 01:27 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16338538?source=rss

Josh McDaniels freely admits that his team got pushed around by the Baltimore Ravens in last week's 31-17 loss. So the challenge McDaniels posed to the Broncos this week is this: Will you let it happen again?

The Broncos on Sunday host the New York Jets, a team known for its nasty, physical defense and its No. 1-ranked running game.

"I'm not calling our team a team that went in there and laid down or anything like that, but when you give up a certain number or rushing yards and don't rush the football very well, there's reason to say they were the tougher team," McDaniels said Thursday. "That was the case last Sunday, and we'll see if that's the case this Sunday or not."

McDaniels said his team practiced well on Wednesday, their first session since Sunday's loss.

While preparing for the Jets, the Broncos are also trying out plans for replacing several injured players on defense and special teams. The Broncos will play Sunday without safety Brian Dawkins, cornerback Andre Goodman and outside linebacker Robert Ayers, as well as two of their top special teamers, Wesley Woodyard and Darcel McBath.

McDaniels said there is a possibility the team could make roster moves late in the week to add depth to the defense and add players to the coverage units. Likely candidates would be practice squad players like safety Kyle McCarthy or linebackers Kevin Alexander or Diyral Briggs.

"We're looking at a few different concoctions of alignments," McDaniels said, smiling. "So there are holes in more than just the defensive side of the ball. We're looking at who can contribute in the kicking game and guys that can help us in the short term. Everyone's an option."

McDaniels said the team is also continuing to test our various options on the offensive line. Rookie Zane Beadles has taken some first-team reps at right tackle (where Ryan Harris is the starter) and Stanley Daniels and Russ Hochstein continue to compete for the starting job at left guard.

dogfish
10-14-2010, 01:48 PM
i'm all in favor of josh challenging the guys to play physical, but going forward he can't forget to draft for the defensive front seven, either. . . the only physical tone-setter on our D is a defensive back, and he's hurt. . .

also, he needs to make a night and day improvement in his judgement of running backs. . . he has no one but himself to blame for laurence maroney running like a gigantic poosy-- he knew what the guy was like and traded for him anyway, can't turn around and complain that he isn't physical. . .

rcsodak
10-14-2010, 05:11 PM
I think every time LoMo drops an easy pass like he did, they should cut off an inch of his hair.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

dogfish
10-14-2010, 05:50 PM
I think every time LoMo drops an easy pass like he did, they should cut off an inch of his hair.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

i'd rather they just cut him from the team. . .

JaxBroncoGirl
10-14-2010, 08:54 PM
i'm all in favor of josh challenging the guys to play physical, but going forward he can't forget to draft for the defensive front seven, either. . . the only physical tone-setter on our D is a defensive back, and he's hurt. . .

also, he needs to make a night and day improvement in his judgement of running backs. . . he has no one but himself to blame for laurence maroney running like a gigantic poosy-- he knew what the guy was like and traded for him anyway, can't turn around and complain that he isn't physical. . .

As a new Broncos fan I must agree with your post. I consider some of McD choices a bit awkward and our trades or cuts I am a little confused with.
We all know some players can be a handful and are not true team players and need to be cut, but some of his choices are down right lousy. I hope in the future that the FO will allow or disallow free reins on McD if that is the true problem. I am wondering just how much decision making McD has with the entire process.
Right now we have lost great players to injuries but we have also lost good players because of cuts or trades due to what McD feels is good for the team and yet these players are now play makers for other teams.
Now we are playing behind the eight ball and hope that our injured players can get back on the field. How much will that help our run game or how much will it effect our pass rush is yet to be seen, we need something and we need it now. Go Broncos!!!!