PDA

View Full Version : Beadles getting reps at RT

BroncoWave
10-14-2010, 12:08 PM
"Most newsy note out of McDaniels presser: Offensive line still not set. Beadles getting reps at RT; Daniels/Hochstein reps at LG."

www.twitter.com/postbroncos

Very interesting. Could be nothing but could also mean Harris is losing ground at RT. That's pretty disappointing if true.

UnderArmour
10-14-2010, 12:12 PM
It's always a good thing for a backup to get reps with the 1st team to improve cohesiveness in the event of an injury. I don't see this as a threat to Harris's starting position, but he is injury prone and was out for a stretch last season. Giving Beadles some reps in there so that the offense doesn't slow down seems sensible. I doubt this is a position battle type situation yet, but it might be a motivational technique for Harris.

rcsodak
10-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Every wed in seattle is position wed. Win out and you start that week. Interesting if anybody else does that.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

honz
10-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Good. Trade Harris to Shanny.

Jagsbch
10-14-2010, 12:33 PM
What in the hell happened to the best tackle tandem in the league is what I want to know

MileHighCrew
10-14-2010, 12:45 PM
This is the one area they need to leave alone. Injuries aside, they need to pick a starting five, and let them grow as a unit. You can't keep messing with an O line and then expect it all to just come together Sunday

silkamilkamonico
10-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Is Harris possibly still hurting to the point where it is affecting his play?

dogfish
10-14-2010, 12:56 PM
zero surprise here. . . IMO, the only question is whether this is due to harris's performance, or a possible injury setback. . . no way to know based on the limited info, but either way they're going to want as many chances as possible to work beadles at ORT-- they need to know whether he can play there long term. . . no chance harris gets an extension here-- we better find out now if we think beadles can handle it, or if another pick's going to have to be spent there in the next year or so. . .

GEM
10-14-2010, 01:30 PM
What in the hell happened to the best tackle tandem in the league is what I want to know

Injury to the knee on the left side, toe to the right side.

GEM
10-14-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm puking at the thought of Hoch or Stanley still having a turnstyle....err I mean position.

BroncoWave
10-14-2010, 02:54 PM
"Looked like Zane Beadles was with the starting OL at right tackle during the open session of practice again."

www.twitter.com/postbroncos

broncofaninfla
10-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Not sure how Beadles is supposed to gel and contribute if they keep sliding him around the line. Either that or he is being groomed to be a career depth guy. I wish they would give him more time at LG, Hoch and Daniels are absolutly horrible and shouldn't even be on the roster much less competing for starting time. How to picture this line getting any better as the season progresses.

silkamilkamonico
10-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Not sure how Beadles is supposed to gel and contribute if they keep sliding him around the line. Either that or he is being groomed to be a career depth guy. I wish they would give him more time at LG, Hoch and Daniels are absolutly horrible and shouldn't even be on the roster much less competing for starting time. How to picture this line getting any better as the season progresses.

could not agree more with this sentiment. Find a position for him already and let him develop with it.

NightTrainLayne
10-14-2010, 03:57 PM
McD said himself 2-3 weeks ago that Beadles was the ideal "depth" kind of guy for them.

rcsodak
10-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Got me to thinking. :eek: This was during the "open" practice, so nobody knows what they're really planning. But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they didnt have ZB line up on the end , outside RH. He's an extra blocker, plus he could be pass eligible.
I just have a sneaking suspicion McD is gonna try something different.....O AND D sides.

dogfish
10-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Got me to thinking. :eek: This was during the "open" practice, so nobody knows what they're really planning. But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they didnt have ZB line up on the end , outside RH. He's an extra blocker, plus he could be pass eligible.
I just have a sneaking suspicion McD is gonna try something different.....O AND D sides.

i believe i did see us use an unbalanced line a few times last week-- baltimore and san diego have been doing it a fair bit the past few years. . . i certainly wouldn't say it's out of the question that we incorporate more of it. . .

i'm not convinced it'll help much. . . our running plays already seem very predictable based on formation, alignment and motion-- adding an extra lineman or working from an unbalanced formation just telegraphs the play further. . . not that i oppose doing anything and everything to possibly spark the running game, but you can only do so much with smoke and mirrors-- we aren't going to see any real improvement in the run game until our linemen start winning some one on one battles, period. . .

edit: in the meantime, leaning more on RB screens seems like a better idea to me than trying to crowd more blockers and defenders around the LOS. . . our shitty RBs need more space, not less. . .

Day1BroncoFan
10-14-2010, 05:59 PM
I hope McD tries something that works this week. :nod:

:coffee:

Dean
10-14-2010, 07:44 PM
According to Football Outsiders, right offensive tackle does not appear to be our biggest problem. Here is their yards per carry and their DVO ranking in the league for runs at right end, right tackle, middle, left tackle, and left end.

yards per carry 4.26 2.86 2.70 2.21 2.51
league ranking 15 27 32 30 28

Though it is not great it is slightly higher than it was earlier. I hope that we aren't showing the white flag and going to season next year's players. :questionmark:

Lonestar
10-14-2010, 08:55 PM
I agree with Dog here if we need to replace him we need to know now before it is either contract time, FA or the draft.

I had always believed the Zane was drafted as Taboo Blind side OT. Giving both time to grow into the job.

It sounds like Harris is either hurt again or has not fully recovered. In either respects it is time to let him heal and give the rookie time on the field.

IIRC Harris has played in less then 50% of the games he has been eligible for since becoming a bronco.

That to me means he is not a long term solution there.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

SOCALORADO.
10-15-2010, 09:44 AM
I agree with Dog here if we need to replace him we need to know now before it is either contract time, FA or the draft.

I had always believed the Zane was drafted as Taboo Blind side OT. Giving both time to grow into the job.

It sounds like Harris is either hurt again or has not fully recovered. In either respects it is time to let him heal and give the rookie time on the field.

IIRC Harris has played in less then 50% of the games he has been eligible for since becoming a bronco.

That to me means he is not a long term solution there.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

I think Harris just needs to be traded for whatever DEN can get for him now.
Beadles can take over at RT, and they can stop moving him around.
Harris to WASH for a 2nd or 3rd is as good as it will get, and from Harris' long injury history, it wont get any better.
DEN also needs as many high picks as it can get.

I Eat Staples
10-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Every wed in seattle is position wed. Win out and you start that week. Interesting if anybody else does that.

That's a horrible strategy. Practice doesn't mean anything on Sundays. See: Peyton Hillis.

BroncoWave
10-16-2010, 01:53 PM
That's a horrible strategy. Practice doesn't mean anything on Sundays. See: Peyton Hillis.

They're 2-2 with a roster that won 5 games last season, so it's obviously not too horrible a strategy.

I Eat Staples
10-16-2010, 02:25 PM
They're 2-2 with a roster that won 5 games last season, so it's obviously not too horrible a strategy.

So let's say Brady Quinn has a better practice than Orton one Wednesday. Should he start Sunday?

How about if Nate Jones has a better practice than Champ?

Or what if Gerhardt had a better practice than AD? Or Ringer had a better practice than CJ2K?

You honestly think the starting lineup each week should be based on who had the best practice?

spikerman
10-16-2010, 02:44 PM
So let's say Brady Quinn has a better practice than Orton one Wednesday. Should he start Sunday?

Or what if Gerhardt had a better practice than AD? Or Ringer had a better practice than CJ2K?

You honestly think the starting lineup each week should be based on who had the best practice?

It doesn't matter who starts. Denver has a system. As long as the system is used properly talent doesn't matter. :D

Poet
10-16-2010, 03:01 PM
i believe i did see us use an unbalanced line a few times last week-- baltimore and san diego have been doing it a fair bit the past few years. . . i certainly wouldn't say it's out of the question that we incorporate more of it. . .

i'm not convinced it'll help much. . . our running plays already seem very predictable based on formation, alignment and motion-- adding an extra lineman or working from an unbalanced formation just telegraphs the play further. . . not that i oppose doing anything and everything to possibly spark the running game, but you can only do so much with smoke and mirrors-- we aren't going to see any real improvement in the run game until our linemen start winning some one on one battles, period. . .

edit: in the meantime, leaning more on RB screens seems like a better idea to me than trying to crowd more blockers and defenders around the LOS. . . our shitty RBs need more space, not less. . .

I disagree with the unbalanced line thing. Cincinnati has an offensive line that's putrid, but they can get some serious run blocking in with a bunch of pedestrian guys.

And basically, I'm saying that the guys on our line specialize in being big and dumb.

It's not a smoke and mirror thing at all. That alignment limits what you can do passing, and forces you to run the ball, but it's really hard to not pick up 3-4 yards.

Ravage!!!
10-16-2010, 03:15 PM
The unbalanced OL was a significant part of the Ravens offense. They both ran and threw out of it

Poet
10-16-2010, 03:18 PM
The unbalanced OL was a significant part of the Ravens offense. They both ran and threw out of it

That's actually impressive. I haven't seen any teams be able to do that consistently.

Ravage!!!
10-16-2010, 03:23 PM
That's actually impressive. I haven't seen any teams be able to do that consistently.

I'll go through the rest of the breakdown. I'll be the first to admit (and meant to put it at the bottom of that last post) that was a single line of a coach's film break-down of the game that I cut-n-paste.

I was going to put the link, but he last time I did that it didn't work since you need a subscription. Just gives small lines of comments as the film is broken down, and saw this discussion and brought that aboard.

**the guy doing the break down is Greg Cosell, the creator and executive producer of the NFL Matchup

BroncoWave
10-16-2010, 04:02 PM

They're 2-2 with a roster that isn't exactly dripping with talent. The results speak for themselves.

spikerman
10-16-2010, 04:30 PM
They're 2-2 with a roster that isn't exactly dripping with talent. The results speak for themselves.

Maybe Denver should try to do it like they do in Cleveland because the Broncos are 2-3 with a roster that isn't exactly dripping with talent either.

TimTebow15MVP
10-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Losing ground? No losing his ankles? yes lol. im all for drafting a RT next year because lets face ryan harris has never been able to stay healthy year in and year out since day one in the league.

I doubt hes healthy right now either. but at 100% harris is the starting RT any day of the week. unfortunately he hasnt been healthy in a long time dating back to last year.

Lonestar
10-16-2010, 11:57 PM
IIRC he has played in less than half of the games he could been in due to one or more injuries.