PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Five Defenders Starts With Attitude; Broncos Hope Execution Follows

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2010, 09:46 PM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/10/13/replacing-five-defenders-starts-with-attitude-broncos-hope-execution-follows/#more-1520

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – From the head coach to the players, the Broncos weren’t moaning about the absence of five key contributors from their defense, including three starters.

Really, what good would complaining do?

On the surface, the losses of safeties Brian Dawkins and Darcel McBath, outside linebacker Robert Ayers, inside linebacker Wesley Woodyard and cornerback Andre Goodman would appear to decimate a defense coming off its worst showing in terms of points allowed this year.

Linebacker Jason Hunter doesn’t see it that way.

“I disagree with that (assessment),” he said. “I feel like the guys we have are blue-collar guys. They come to work; they’re going to work hard. The NFL is all about overcoming adversity and just being triumphant.

“I feel like the guys we have are going to step up to the challenge and just look at this as having to respond, especially after what happened to us last week, because a lot of guys take it personal and know that’s not what our defense wants to show and wants to show the fans in the world.”

At least the right attitude is there for the defense. That’s a starting point, and as can be seen in other NFL precincts, the presence of a resolute, almost defiant mindset in the face of injuries is not always there.

“You could look at the guys’ eyes and tell that guys looked hungry and focused to get out there and practice and put one part of the game plan in motion today,” Hunter said. “We’ll keep building for the rest of the week.”

BUT THERE’S STILL THE MATTER OF EXECUTION … namely, how will the Broncos deal with a Jets offense blessed with a deep receiving corps, a dangerous tight end (Dustin Keller) as adept at going down the middle as he is at blocking and a running back (LaDainian Tomlinson) who seems to have found the Fountain of Youth in the middle of the Hudson?

Keller, in particular, presents a difficult challenge because he possesses many of the skills displayed by Indianapolis’ Dallas Clark. When the Broncos played the Colts in Week 3, they defused Clark, usually by devoting Dawkins or McBath to coverage. Neither is available.

The absence of Ayers also robs the Broncos of arguably their best run defender and steadiest pass-rusher since Elvis Dumervil was lost for the year with a torn pectoral muscle, making it harder to pressure Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez and force him into mistakes. Teams have had a difficult time coaxing errors from Sanchez this year; he has yet to throw an interception.

Getting pressure to force that mistake becomes harder without Ayers and also Dawkins, whose safety blitz coaxed the errant Vince Young, third-down pass that set up a punt and the Broncos’ game-winning drive at Tennessee in Week 4.

The Broncos’ efforts to compensate start with safety David Bruton and outside linebacker/defensive end Jarvis Moss, two players who McDaniels said will be “asked to do some different things” this week.

“We’ve got a lot of different things,” McDaniels said. “I’m not going to say exactly who’s playing where and how we’re going to adjust some of the things that we’re doing.”

McDaniels didn’t get into specifics, but did mention the possibilities we touched upon Monday — which included Nate Jones working at safety and Mario Haggan shifting back to outside linebacker.

“There’s some potential for some other players to factor in. Nate Jones has played some safety also. We’ve moved Haggan (to outside linebacker) before. I’m not opposed to doing that. But there’s some different things we have in terms of options and we’re going to take a look at them this week in practice and try to make the best decision by Sunday.”

THE BRONCOS ALSO HOPE to have fullback Spencer Larsen available Sunday; he returned to practice Wednesday on a limited basis after missing the last two weeks with an ankle injury.

Joining the five defenders out from practice were running backs Knowshon Moreno (ankle) and Andre Brown (illness) and wide receiver Demaryius Thomas (concussion).

Haggan was limited Wednesday due to a neck problem. He worked in an orange no-contact jersey.

Northman
10-13-2010, 09:56 PM
“I disagree with that (assessment),” he said. “I feel like the guys we have are blue-collar guys. They come to work; they’re going to work hard. The NFL is all about overcoming adversity and just being triumphant.

“I feel like the guys we have are going to step up to the challenge and just look at this as having to respond, especially after what happened to us last week, because a lot of guys take it personal and know that’s not what our defense wants to show and wants to show the fans in the world.”

I agree, thats how it should work and lets hope your right. In the past depth has been an issue so lets hope the guys can step up and generate some wins.

topscribe
10-13-2010, 11:28 PM
I've seen it before: stars go down, and the subs step up and play their guts out,
making it look like the stars are still there. Something often seems to happen to
the psyche in such circumstances. Remember when Larsen and Woodyard had to
step in as rookies and played lights out?

-----

sneakers
10-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Executing 5 Broncos sounds kinda harsh, don't you think?

PAINTERDAVE
10-14-2010, 02:16 AM
executing 5 broncos sounds kinda harsh, don't you think?

lol

Lonestar
10-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Executing 5 Broncos sounds kinda harsh, don't you think?

Only if they do not play well.

Maybe that is what it takes to get the teams attention.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
10-14-2010, 05:23 AM
You know the old adage win or your gone.

This is the extreme side of the phrase.

Also keeps the cap low.

Shazam!
10-14-2010, 08:48 AM
I hate calling it a must-win but... if they're 2-4...

turftoad
10-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Being Blue Collar is great but this is the NFL. It still takes talent to win in this league.
Kumba ya only wins so many games.

Thanks for the read Carol. :salute:

jhns
10-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Remember when Larsen and Woodyard had to
step in as rookies and played lights out?

-----

That was just a sad defense. Every starting LB, a safety, Champ, and a DE were all injured at one point and the defense actually seemed to play better when this happened. Although better was just getting 3-4 stops a game rather than 0.

missingnumber7
10-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Haggan was limited Wednesday due to a neck problem. He worked in an orange no-contact jersey.

This worries me. We are already down to just 1 LB sub.

OrangeHoof
10-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Reminds me of the famous quote...

Reporter to Buccaneers coach John McKay after another loss by the woeful expansion club: "What do you think of your team's execution?"

McKay: "You know, that's not a bad idea."

rcsodak
10-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I hate calling it a must-win but... if they're 2-4...
2 games out after playing one of the more difficult schedules in the NFL? 2games back in the AFCW with the entire division yet to be played?

I'll take that. :wink:

rcsodak
10-14-2010, 12:58 PM
TIME FOR THE OL' 6-3-2. FORCE Sanchez to beat them.