PDA

View Full Version : My Camp Report...Monday 8/4/08 AM Practice

Ziggy
08-04-2008, 03:09 PM
So I went camping for the first time this year to the AM practice today. How Kaylore, Montrose, Socal, and those guys watch everything at once, I have no idea. My kudos to them for the work they do, and I'll just go over the little bit I saw when I was there.

QB's- I've been reading in the camp reports about how Cutler is staring down his receivers, and I saw it first hand today myself. It's a habit that he's having a hard time breaking. He did it again and again today. His arm is a cannon, and the gap between Cutler and the backups is more of a chasm. I didn't notice much of anything Ramsey did today. Hackney played quite a bit, and looks to have a decent grasp of the offense. He is short though, and gets balls batted down. There were 2 times when receivers were open deep and he underthrew them, allowing Bly to catch up and knock the pass away.

RBs- Selvin Young is the clear #1, is bigger this season, and still has his speed. He was OK today, especially turning the corner on a goal line playto beat the D for a TD. Andre Hall had a decent practice, nothing special. Torrain definitely brings power to position. He runs with authority that Young and Hall don't. One of the stars of camp today was Alridge. He is simply electric. He's not going to do much running between the tackles, but put him in open space and he's gone. He put a juke on one defender, (not sure who) and pretty much left him picking up his jock strap while he took it down the sideline for a long TD. From what I've read on him in previous camp reports, and what I saw today, the coaches are going to have a hard time leaving him off of the final roster. I really wanted to see what Hillis brought to the table, but even though he dressed out and warmed up, I didn't see him involved in any of the O vs D drills.

WR's- Bmarsh is BMarsh. If he can stay out of trouble off the field, he will be a superstar on it. He's pretty much uncoverable by anyone other than Champ, and that's never even a sure bet. Colbert had a couple of nice grabs and looked good. DJack was solid, catching what was thrown to him. Royal found space, but the QB's had a hard time finding him. Parker was impressive today, making a couple of nice catches, and a kid named Clifford Russell was impressive. (never heard of him till today)

OL- Clady...wow! He's not big, he's enormous. His blocking was as impressive as his size. Whether it was one on one against the DE, a blitz, or a stunt, he took care of business. The inside of the line seemed to work well together on passing downs, but they didn't open many holes up the middle for the RB's. Kuper looks solid at RG, and Harris got beat like a rag doll numerous times. Wegeman was at C. The kid that really caught my eye was Polumbo. He's a huge kid, and watching him at RT, I swore I was having flashbacks of Lepsis in his early days. Some plays he looked like a lost rookie, and on others he looked like an all-pro. He really looks to be a diamond in the rough. Don't be surprised to see him stick around also.

TE- Daniel Graham is a great blocker, and showed some skills on the goal line plays. Sheff had a couple of nice catches, but dropped one that was right in his hands. Nate Jackson had one nice grab but I didn't notice him much after that.

I need to add that I didn't get to see all of the goal line plays because of where we were sitting. I eventually moved down and got to see more, but still missed more than I should have.

P- Were keeping an eye on the punters on the opposite field inbetween plays, and there is clearly a difference in power between the 2. Kern has the better leg hands down. His punts travel about 5-7 yards longer than Paulesu's on the average.

I couldn't watch everything at once, but I hadn't seen any other camp reports for today, so I thought I'd do my share. If you have any questions on anything that I didn't cover, feel free to ask. I'll work on the D in a bit.

Northman
08-04-2008, 03:13 PM
nice job Ziggy. \m/

Ziggy
08-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Defense

DL- Robertson is a monster and hard for the O-line to handle. He wasn't as impressive in the pass rush as I had hoped, but he was double teamed every time I watched him on passing downs. If he can command those double teams during the season, he'll have done his job. Thomas, Peterson, McKinley and the other D-tackles were very solid against the run, clogging up the middle and either forcing the RB's outside, or stopping them for short gains most of the time. Crowder made his presence felt a couple of times. Elvis would have had 2 sacks that I noticed, but was really struggling against the run. Jarvis Moss was a beast in both runnign and passing downs. I was very impressed with his play today.

LB's- Boss is very tall for a LB and is also very good in coverage. He was all over the field today. Koutouvides played very well against the run, but gave up a couple of passes over the middle. Nate Webster was unnoticeable, as was DJ today.

CB's- This news just in...Champ is still a stud. The only receiver that I saw able to gain any separation from him today was Marshall. He and BMarsh have some good battles when paired up on the field. Bly was beat at leat 2 times deep, but was able to catch up and knock the ball away after the receivers were underthrown. Jack Williams made one nice play, beating his man to take down the RB behind the LOS, but other than that I didn't see much out of him. Foxy was solid in coverage and against the run. He's making his case for a starting position.

S- Manuel and Mcree were both solid today, but the star of the Db's was Josh Barrett. He was all over the field making play after play. He's big, fast, and was always around the ball today. Very impressive.

OK guys, that's it from me. I realize that my reports are lacking in comparison to some of the others on these forums, but a little is better than nothing. After doing this, I just want to thank all those that have put the time and effort into keeping us all updated on the camp happenings. It's harder than it looks. Thanks guys, and keep the reports coming.:beer:

Northman
08-04-2008, 03:35 PM
OK guys, that's it from me. I realize that my reports are lacking in comparison to some of the others on these forums, but a little is better than nothing.

Doesnt matter, your trying and we appreciate all the time and effort you put into it. Thanks again. :beer:

LRtagger
08-04-2008, 03:39 PM
good stuff

hamrob
08-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Nice post. Thanks!

Bronco9798
08-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the post. Appreciate it very much. Nice to come home from work and read something other then a bland media report. tyvm!!

frenchfan
08-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Doesnt matter, your trying and we appreciate all the time and effort you put into it. Thanks again. :beer:I do agree...

Thanks for sharing those moments with us and for giving us an inside from the camp (which some of us can't follow unless via internet).

A big :salute: to you :beer: