PDA

View Full Version : Lynch's options limited; Broncos lose valuable leader

MOtorboat
08-04-2008, 10:10 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=3512100

Lynch's options limited; Broncos lose valuable leader

By Keith Kidd
Scouts, Inc.

So where might John Lynch fit if he remains in the NFL and what does his departure mean to the Denver Broncos' defense?

If Lynch hopes to stay in the league he will probably find few teams willing to take on a player of his age with declining skills even for the minimum veteran salary, which would be fully guaranteed if he made a roster out of training camp. The New England Patriots are always looking to upgrade but already have Rodney Harrison in their defensive backfield. Tony Dungy coached Lynch in the Tampa 2 system with the Buccaneers but Dungy's Indianapolis Colts team has plenty of youth at safety, and the same can be said of the Tampa 2 defense of the Chicago Bears.

Based on what we have seen on film in recent seasons Lynch is at his best near the line of scrimmage on first and second downs, as he has limitations extending down the field in deep zone coverages in sub packages. The Broncos acknowledged as much by running Lynch with the first-team defense in training camp but taking him off the field in nickel and dime situations.

Could Lynch help a team? Yes, but mostly as a situational player in a scheme he is familiar with. He could potentially fit somewhere as a third safety, but those players are usually counted on to contribute on special teams and a 15-year veteran like Lynch is not likely to step into that kind of role.

There just doesn't appear to be a good fit out there because he would not put a secondary over the top. Lynch he might have value to a team looking for a stop-gap starter to fill a hole in the event of an injury, though, and will surely be on teams' emergency lists. He will no doubt keep himself in shape if he does not get into a training camp, and a player with his experience could join a team on a Tuesday in October and be on the field the following Sunday. Because of changes to coverage concepts, however, his value is limited.

The recent trend is to find safeties with similar skill sets so that when facing motion across the formation -- which declares both the run and pass strength of the formation -- both safeties have the ability to move into the box against the run or be the single safety in the hole. Tampa Bay felt Lynch was no longer that kind of player when the team released him following the 2003 season, and when I evaluated him at that time as a scout for the Patriots his limitations in coverage were becoming obvious and we felt he would not be an ideal complement to Harrison, who had joined the team the previous year. Lynch showed value against the run but was already struggling to play over the top in the outside third and in the deep zones in the middle third.

And while it might seem that a Broncos team looking to improve a run defense that allowed 142.6 yards per game last season could use Lynch's run-stopping abilities, even that part of his game is becoming a question mark. Lynch had only 59 total tackles last year  his fewest since 1996  which indicates that if he is not rolled up near the line of scrimmage from a two-deep look he is missing the speed to get downhill and chase the run inside-out. He is still effective coming up the middle but no longer a force pressing the edges, and even his strength in the middle would probably not help a Denver defense that did little to upgrade that area heading into camp.

The Broncos don't take a big hit in the back end given the emergence of fourth-year safety Hamza Abdullah and the offseason additions of Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel, but they will face a void in the locker room. Lynch is a consummate pro and always led by example, mentoring younger players and teaching them how handle themselves in a professional manner, and those intangibles will be missed in the organization and in the Denver community as a whole.

From a strictly football standpoint, however, Lynch is no longer a Pro Bowl-caliber player and is at or near the end of his career.

Dean
08-04-2008, 02:27 PM
It is sad but none the less very true. :tsk:

weazel
08-04-2008, 07:16 PM
the best thing an aging player can do is retire BEFORE looking ridiculous. I hope Lynch retires and keeps "the good" Lynch in peoples memories.

Retired_Member_001
08-04-2008, 07:19 PM
the best thing an aging player can do is retire BEFORE looking ridiculous. I hope Lynch retires and keeps "the good" Lynch in peoples memories.

I agree. You don't want a grumpy Lynch sitting around in the FA Pool running around looking for work and not finding it. It's possible that a team will pick him up, not like him, and cut him (see Simeon Rice).

turftoad
08-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Patriots | Lynch in town
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:21:38 -0700

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports free-agent S John Lynch (Broncos) is visiting with the New England Patriots. The Patriots also showed interest in him when he was a free agent in 2004.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2008, 04:59 PM
It will really upset me if he would sign with the Patriots, accepting a "back up" role :tsk:

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/john.lynch.patriots.2.794505.html

John Lynch Works Out For Patriots

DENVER (CBS4) ― Former Denver Broncos safety John Lynch has been invited to work out for the New England Patriots, the Boston Globe reported.

Lynch was reportedly taking a physical for the team Wednesday.

He helped Denver reach the AFC Championship Game in 2005, marking his third career conference championship game appearance.

Lynch was granted his release from the Broncos in late July after playing for the team since 2004.

He won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2002 and has been selected to the Pro Bowl nine times.

turftoad
08-13-2008, 05:06 PM
It will really upset me if he would sign with the Patriots, accepting a "back up" role :tsk:

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/john.lynch.patriots.2.794505.html

John Lynch Works Out For Patriots

DENVER (CBS4) ― Former Denver Broncos safety John Lynch has been invited to work out for the New England Patriots, the Boston Globe reported.

Lynch was reportedly taking a physical for the team Wednesday.

He helped Denver reach the AFC Championship Game in 2005, marking his third career conference championship game appearance.

Lynch was granted his release from the Broncos in late July after playing for the team since 2004.

He won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2002 and has been selected to the Pro Bowl nine times.

I agree Carol. A back up there but not here. :tsk:

yardog
08-13-2008, 05:08 PM
It sounds to me like he's looking for another ring and didn't see it in Denver this year.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2008, 05:10 PM

If he does accept a back up role there, then I wonder what the REAL reason was for him leaving here - possibly another shot at a superbowl ring??????

DenBronx
08-13-2008, 06:16 PM
lynch left for a ring...he didnt really see the broncos making an impact this year and wants to go down in a blaze of glory. sorta like seau was hoping to do.

if your wondering, lynch didnt really care about being loyal to the broncos. im suprised the broncos didnt make him sweat it out and seek at least a draft pick. im wondering if lynch conned shanahan into making him believe he was going to sign else where. i think if shanahan knew if lynch would go to the pats he might have had second thoughts on releasing him.

Retired_Member_001
08-13-2008, 06:19 PM

A backup for the Broncos or a backup for the Patriots?

Hmmmmm. Tough decision. :rolleyes:

;)

I don't like being negative about this team and doubting us. I actually do believe we can do fairly well this season. However, looking from John Lynch's perspective, this is his last year and he wants a ring.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
A backup for the Broncos or a backup for the Patriots?

Hmmmmm. Tough decision. :rolleyes:

;)

I don't like being negative about this team and doubting us. I actually do believe we can do fairly well this season. However, looking from John Lynch's perspective, this is his last year and he wants a ring.

Of course, it's his decision to make - but don't say you don't want to be a backup, and then go somewhere else and be a backup - just tell the truth.

red98
08-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Pat's sign Lynch

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/14/pats-sign-lynch/

turftoad
08-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Pat's sign Lynch

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/14/pats-sign-lynch/

PATS SIGN LYNCH
Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2008, 10:00 a.m.
A league source tells us that the Patriots have agreed to terms with safety John Lynch.

Lynch, a nine-time Pro Bowler, could assume the role that the team was exploring for Tank Williams, who recently landed on injured reserve with a knee injury. Williams had been practicing at linebacker.

At this stage of his career, Lynch probably is a better fit playing closer to the line of scrimmage. Besides, the team already has a Lynch-style safety in Rodney Harrison.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2008, 10:32 AM
From another article -

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/2008_08_14_Jeff_Shoate:_John_Lynch_would_be_a_good _fit_for_Patriots/srvc=sports&position=recent

The question is whether Lynch, who turns 37 next month, would be open to a backup role if Rodney Harrison [stats] and James Sanders [stats], the likely starters, are able to shake off their preseason injury problems.

Northman
08-14-2008, 10:59 AM
If he does accept a back up role there, then I wonder what the REAL reason was for him leaving here - possibly another shot at a superbowl ring??????

Exactly. He got pissy because he had to fight for a job here. But if he just wanted another chance at a ring he should of just manned up and said so. Still isnt clear if he is looking to be a backup in NE but if thats the case i will lose a lot of respect for him.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Exactly. He got pissy because he had to fight for a job here. But if he just wanted another chance at a ring he should of just manned up and said so. Still isnt clear if he is looking to be a backup in NE but if thats the case i will lose a lot of respect for him.

I totally agree.

Northman
08-14-2008, 11:03 AM
PATS SIGN LYNCH
Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2008, 10:00 a.m.
A league source tells us that the Patriots have agreed to terms with safety John Lynch.

Lynch, a nine-time Pro Bowler, could assume the role that the team was exploring for Tank Williams, who recently landed on injured reserve with a knee injury. Williams had been practicing at linebacker.

At this stage of his career, Lynch probably is a better fit playing closer to the line of scrimmage. Besides, the team already has a Lynch-style safety in Rodney Harrison.

Funny, i brought this up when he was looking to leave Denver. He would be great around the line but with his neck the way it is its a real risky move on his part. Whether or not he can take that kind of beating for 16 games is playing with fire.

hamrob
08-14-2008, 11:33 AM
I think it speaks to "Ego"...yet he couldn't help it. When you're a guy who has won a super bowl ring and gone to 9 pro-bowls...it's got to be tough to wrap your mind around the situation he was in.

Lynch was looking around the field and seeing the youth movement and asking himself whether the Broncos would be able to compete for a championship this year...he obviously didn't think so. Then...he looked around and took a good look at the guys who were getting more playing time than himself and had to ask himself...who the heck is Marquand Manual and Marlon Mcree? I'm a guy whose headed to the Hall of fame and I'm going to sit on the sideline and watch these guys play on a team whose best shot is to make the playoffs...No Thanks!

Selfish? You bet...but we all know that was the case. Credit Shanny for taking the high road and releasing him to do whatever he wants. That showed alot of class in my mind!

dogfish
08-14-2008, 11:46 AM

agreed. . . . and i really don't see the glory in latching onto brady and bellyache's coattails and trying to ride them to another ring-- why not be happy with the one you EARNED and call it a day?

Northman
08-14-2008, 11:55 AM
agreed. . . . and i really don't see the glory in latching onto brady and bellyache's coattails and trying to ride them to another ring-- why not be happy with the one you EARNED and call it a day?

Probably because they were the only team that really wanted to use him and not even at his official position. Im scratching my head at a lot of decisions he has made this offseason. Not only did he dance around the idea that he wanted to start (as his reason for leaving us) but now he is willing to play a position (which god knows we are weak at anyway) that could easily cost him his ability to walk if he gets hit the wrong way again. He will more than certainly see more tackles and hits at LB then he did at Safety.

And as you brought up, the legacy of the Patriots right now is tarnished because of spygate. Do you really want to put your name on that resume? Sure, a ring is a ring but at what point did guys like Lynch stop caring about character and respect for the game? The shame of it all is Lynch was looked up as a leader on this team and he bailed on them without even being up front about it. How disappointing on his part. Cant say i would be happy if he got another ring with the Pats. Just cant do it, not in this way.

Dortoh
08-14-2008, 12:05 PM
I've got one slightly used Lynch jersey for sale. Oh and one really used slightly stained to damn small Sharpe Jersey I'll throw in for free.

In all seriousness I'm torn. Lynch was a class act here in Denver and I can understand him wanting to go somewhere where he gets to compete for another ring. On the other hand, I hate that he basically lied about his reasons etc...

Buff
08-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Well, he officially burned my bridge with this one-- Potential hall of famer, great guy in the locker room or not... I don't care. He is now a quitter and a traitor in my book. Good riddance.

Buff
08-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Too bad the game's at Foxboro this year. It'd almost be worth the price of admission just to boo him.

OB
08-14-2008, 12:38 PM
The freakin patsies - WT* ***** ** * ** **** * ****** * **** *** **

Basturd

:mad:

MOtorboat
08-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Wow...everyone this upset...let's find out what the injury situation really is in New England before we go willy nilly in to the traitor talk.

Dortoh
08-14-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm hearing rumors that this is not a done deal just yet. I'll look for a link

No link but I guess Belichick confirmed during their daily news conference that they have NOT come to terms yet with Lynch.

Slick
08-14-2008, 03:46 PM
I wish him the best. I didn't like seeing Sharpe in a Raven's jersey, but I didn't hold a grudge. If you can find a better job, and a winning atmosphere who can blame him?

It should help us if he's in the game during a passing situation. Our TE's and WR's should beat him in coverage easily.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm hearing rumors that this is not a done deal just yet. I'll look for a link

No link but I guess Belichick confirmed during their daily news conference that they have NOT come to terms yet with Lynch.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5ir0ci2F5dnhgmDkvKU4y-pP9pbBw

New England Patriots need safety help, may find it in John Lynch

47 minutes ago

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — The New England Patriots have met with nine-time Pro Bowl safety John Lynch but have not signed him.

"If and when that happens, then we will address it," coach Bill Belichick said Thursday, "but until then I really don't have any other comment on it."

Belichick said he talked with Lynch on Wednesday and the former Denver Broncos star took a physical. The Patriots have been hit by injuries in the secondary, both at safety and cornerback. Safety-linebacker Tank Williams had a season-ending knee injury in their first exhibition game.

Lynch and the Broncos amicably parted ways late last month after he told coach Mike Shanahan he wasn't happy with his reduced playing time. He had been with Denver the past four seasons, making the Pro Bowl in every one.

But with Marlon McRee playing well, Lynch saw little playing time in nickel and dime packages early in training camp. McRee started all 16 regular-season games for San Diego last season.

After leaving Denver, Lynch, a veteran of 15 NFL seasons, said he could sign elsewhere.

"I still have a great passion for the game of football," he said at the time. "I still very much love it in my heart. I still feel like I can compete at a Pro Bowl level, but the situation is going to have to be right. I'm not going to just play for any team or any situation."

Lynch, who spent his first 11 seasons with Tampa Bay, played every snap in Denver's last three games last season, but earlier he was taken out on passing downs.

turftoad
08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2008, 4:51 p.m. EDT
We reported earlier in the day that the Patriots had signed veteran safety John Lynch. Coach Bill Belichick thereafter said at a press conference that Lynch had not signed a contract.

It might have all been a matter of semantics, since Lynch is now signed, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Per Schefter, Lynch has inked a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

It’s the third career team for the nine-time Pro Bowler, who was a key member of the Buccaneers’ defense of the late ’90s and early portion of the current decade. After being cut by the Bucs, he spent four years with the Broncos.

Lynch is expected to be a situational player, and don’t be surprised if he lines up from time to time at linebacker.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-14-2008, 04:27 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/sports/john.lynch.patriots.2.795743.html

John Lynch Will Play For Patriots

Former Denver Broncos safety John Lynch will play for the New England Patriots this season, sources close to the situation tell the CBS4 Broncos Insiders.

The official announcement about the signing reportedly will be made by the Patriots on Thursday evening or on Friday.

He was reportedly taking a physical for the Patriots on Wednesday.

Lynch helped Denver reach the AFC Championship Game in 2005, marking his third career conference championship game appearance.

Stargazer
08-14-2008, 06:36 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/sports/john.lynch.patriots.2.795743.html

John Lynch Will Play For Patriots

Former Denver Broncos safety John Lynch will play for the New England Patriots this season, sources close to the situation tell the CBS4 Broncos Insiders.

The official announcement about the signing reportedly will be made by the Patriots on Thursday evening or on Friday.

He was reportedly taking a physical for the Patriots on Wednesday.

Lynch helped Denver reach the AFC Championship Game in 2005, marking his third career conference championship game appearance.

I can't wait to see Royal, Marshall, and Schef burn him for a TD in October.