PDA

View Full Version : Where will we be slated to draft next year?

broncofaninfla
10-12-2010, 09:26 AM
I know it's early but the teams capabilities are starting to shape up, based on what you've seen to date and where you think that will take Denver this season, where do you think Denver will be slated in the 2011 draft?

Thnikkaman
10-12-2010, 09:30 AM
My vote is considering the Pick we got for Marshal.

rcsodak
10-12-2010, 09:50 AM
somewhere betweeeeeeeeeennnnnnn.........

10-20......

.....give-or-take +/- 10.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

broncofaninfla
10-12-2010, 09:57 AM
With no running game i don't see us winning more than 5 games this season. Teams can key on containing our passing attack and pound our defense knowing damn well they'll eventually wear down due to being on the field so much....kinda like last year except worse.

silkamilkamonico
10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
With no running game i don't see us winning more than 5 games this season. Teams can key on containing our passing attack and pound our defense knowing damn well they'll eventually wear down due to being on the field so much....kinda like last year except worse.

Our passing attack is good enough to win at least 5 games all by itself, depending on matchups.

No team has been able to even show an ounce of containment in the passig game, and that's knowing Denver can't run the ball, and won't.

I do think Denver will be drafting somewhere in that 7-12 range though.

honz
10-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I say top 5 because we suck ass.

broncofaninfla
10-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Our passing attack is good enough to win at least 5 games all by itself, depending on matchups.

No team has been able to even show an ounce of containment in the passig game, and that's knowing Denver can't run the ball, and won't.

I do think Denver will be drafting somewhere in that 7-12 range though.

Just out of curiosity, who are the remaining teams we'll beat IYO?

The containment I was referring to was the bend don't break approach similar to what Balt did with us. The yards will be there, just not the point.

silkamilkamonico
10-12-2010, 10:17 AM

The containment I was referring to was the bend don't break approach similar to what Balt did with us. The yards will be there, just not the point.

We can beat any one of those teams. I'm not sure why people are weighing so much influence in what happened in Baltimore. We lost to Baltimore, in Baltimore. Baltimore is arguably a top 3 team in the NFL. Probably unarguably.

On top of that, the NFL is probably down more this year in terms of top end teams then it has ever been. There isn't a team in the NFL, with the exception of 2-3, that doesn't have major holes. I don't know why people are ignoring that.

We'll most likely spplit with KC/Oak. That's pretty much common assumption. We still have 3 games against the worst division of football, against teams that are worse than us.

Actually thinking we're not better than teams like St Louis/SF/Arizona is football ignorant. Those 3 teams are utter garbage, and not well coached at al.

PAINTERDAVE
10-12-2010, 10:34 AM
We can beat any one of those teams. I'm not sure why people are weighing so much influence in what happened in Baltimore. We lost to Baltimore, in Baltimore. Baltimore is arguably a top 3 team in the NFL. Probably unarguably.

On top of that, the NFL is probably down more this year in terms of top end teams then it has ever been. There isn't a team in the NFL, with the exception of 2-3, that doesn't have major holes. I don't know why people are ignoring that.

We'll most likely spplit with KC/Oak. That's pretty much common assumption. We still have 3 games against the worst division of football, against teams that are worse than us.

Actually thinking we're not better than teams like St Louis/SF/Arizona is football ignorant. Those 3 teams are utter garbage, and not well coached at al.

Point is... though I like McD... he is not calling effective plays, either. I thought for sure he would have learned from last years bad play calls down the stretch... but nope... he has been neither creative or effective. The 3rd down problems we have had call for much different plays than his pedsetrian attempts.

Also ... have you seen the injury report? This years team is jinxed. There is no way we will not have a good draft position....

silkamilkamonico
10-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Point is... though I like McD... he is not calling effective plays, either. I thought for sure he would have learned from last years bad play calls down the stretch... but nope... he has been neither creative or effective. The 3rd down problems we have had call for much different plays than his pedsetrian attempts.

Also ... have you seen the injury report? This years team is jinxed. There is no way we will not have a good draft position....

Playcalling hasn't been terrible. He's calling plays to move the ball basically at will down the field. The problem is, when you don't have a running game worth a piss, you're playbook gets limited significantly. He's still searching for plays that work inside the redzone. I think that's more trying to figure out what works then terrible play calling.

If McDaniels was a bad play caller, Denver would not have the offense they have right now. We can't run the ball at all. That isn't playcalling, that's lack of execution. So now instead of calling plays to manage time and work the length of the field, he's having to find a way to call plays to just get chunks of yards. There isn't a playcaller in the NFL that can call an effective game being inhibited like that.

PAINTERDAVE
10-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I disagree. Instead of calling plays on 3rd and long that will result in a first...
he often punches it up the gut for little or no gain... or a short dump off... which basicly turns the player into a RB far behind the first down marker.

I was excited early on when he was throwing long passes on first down.
That stretches the field. That kept us OUT of 3rd and long in the beginning of the season. His play calling has since reverted.

We have seen that Orton CAN throw it long... we need to get CREATIVE with teh play calling now.

So... on 3rd and long... even if they are expecting a pass... throw the dang ball long! Orton CAN do it.. so do it.

It is an opportunity that McD has been squandering by calling short runs and bubble screens...

worst case is a deep interception that is no worse than a punt...
or it might draw the pass interference call resulting in a first down...
(like at the end of the Baltimore game... why did he wait all game to do it only after it was un winnable?)
Or it is effective and works.

It simply makes no sense to throw a 2 yard screen to Maroney on 3rd and 15... and that is EXACTLY what I mean by bad play calling.

We have NO RUN GAME... stop trying to punch maroney up the gut on 3rd and long.
Use what works... throw long on first down. Avoid getting in to 3rd and long nearly every series. Get creative.

And yes... your point about lack of execution is true...
but that is when we need a very creative play to help out...

dogfish
10-12-2010, 11:33 AM
we'll end up right in the middle of the pack, which is where this team's talent level falls after a few injuries. . .suggesting that we're going to lose all the rest of our games is just silly overreaction-- we're only a game under .500 most of the way through the brutal part of our schedule. . . denver never, ever picks in the top five, and we're not going to this year either-- that's just not happening. . . we'll probably find a way to squeeze out about seven wins, and pick 15th-- something like that. . .

broncofaninfla
10-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I disagree. Instead of calling plays on 3rd and long that will result in a first...
he often punches it up the gut for little or no gain... or a short dump off... which basicly turns the player into a RB far behind the first down marker.

I was excited early on when he was throwing long passes on first down.
That stretches the field. That kept us OUT of 3rd and long in the beginning of the season. His play calling has since reverted.

We have seen that Orton CAN throw it long... we need to get CREATIVE with teh play calling now.

So... on 3rd and long... even if they are expecting a pass... throw the dang ball long! Orton CAN do it.. so do it.

It is an opportunity that McD has been squandering by calling short runs and bubble screens...

worst case is a deep interception that is no worse than a punt...
or it might draw the pass interference call resulting in a first down...
(like at the end of the Baltimore game... why did he wait all game to do it only after it was un winnable?)
Or it is effective and works.

It simply makes no sense to throw a 2 yard screen to Maroney on 3rd and 15... and that is EXACTLY what I mean by bad play calling.

We have NO RUN GAME... stop trying to punch maroney up the gut on 3rd and long.
Use what works... throw long on first down. Avoid getting in to 3rd and long nearly every series. Get creative.

I agree, Mcd should have learned from last year that being stubborn in his play calling only won't work. It's obvious our running game won't work with what we've got. It's time to adjust the scheme and play calling but Mcd seems more content with calling the same 5-6 running plays that none of our line or RB's are capable or running. Sunday Royal ran the ball on a trick play that would have been big yards had the line had not held. We need more play calling like that because what is going on now won't work, not even close.

Dean
10-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Ahhhhhh, the good old days when we were down to our 8th or 9th running back had some line boo boos but gained 1862 yards rushing for 4.8 per. To think we complained then about third down and red zone rushing. If we were only so blessed. Now, we can't run the ball anywhere on the entire field. It might take us 3 carries to get 4.8 yards.

spikerman
10-12-2010, 09:12 PM
It doesn't matter where Denver drafts because the Broncos will trade the pick away for a 5'9" 150 lb TE who once caught three balls in a single practice. :D

spikerman
10-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Ahhhhhh, the good old days when we were down to our 8th or 9th running back had some line boo boos but gained 1862 yards rushing for 4.8 per. To think we complained then about third down and red zone rushing. If we were only so blessed. Now, we can't run the ball anywhere on the entire field. It might take us 3 carries to get 4.8 yards.

Did you mean 3 possessions?

Tned
10-12-2010, 09:45 PM
we'll end up right in the middle of the pack, which is where this team's talent level falls after a few injuries. . .suggesting that we're going to lose all the rest of our games is just silly overreaction-- we're only a game under .500 most of the way through the brutal part of our schedule. . . denver never, ever picks in the top five, and we're not going to this year either-- that's just not happening. . . we'll probably find a way to squeeze out about seven wins, and pick 15th-- something like that. . .

Yes, fortunately (or not), the draft won't be based on the last 15 games 4-11) plus next week, where the best case scenario is that we will have won 5 of our last 16 games, and more likely 4.

The good news is that like you say, after next week, we should be in every game. Right now, it's looking like Houston will be our toughest match-up down the stretch, but all of the games should be winnable. If you figure we win half of those winnable games, that would give us five wins in the final ten and finish with a middle of the pack 7-9 record.

So, while we have a theoretical worse case of 4 or 5, I think it's highly unlikely. If it wasn't for the recent rash of injuries, I would say we still have a good shot at 9 or so wins, but that's going to be tough now --- doable, but tough.

Unlike some, I think a healthy Moreno is going to help our running game, combined with Clady, Kuper and Harris continuing to mend, and Walton getting experience. I expect the offense to get better, not worse (hopefully more balanced), and even with Ayers and Dawkins being big losses, I don't expect a big drop off from how our defense played the first four weeks.

I still see us with a realistic shot to win the division, even though it likely will be with 7 or 8 wins.

Tned
10-12-2010, 09:48 PM
The week before the season started, before we knew much about any of the teams, this is how I broke down our schedule:

Likely to lose: Indy, SD (at least once), Bal
Toss up: Jax, Jets, SF, AZ, Hou, Ten
Likely to win: Sea, Oak (@Den), KC (@Den), Stl

So, I see four near sure wins, and three near sure losses, with everything in between being toss ups.

Obviously, I underestimated the Jets, as I wasn't convinced they were a good team -- now I am. I also thought SF was a better team than they have shown, so now I would probably put them in the likely to win column, but I do think they are quite a bit better than their 0-5 record, so toss up might still be right.

dogfish
10-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Ahhhhhh, the good old days when we were down to our 8th or 9th running back had some line boo boos but gained 1862 yards rushing for 4.8 per. To think we complained then about third down and red zone rushing. If we were only so blessed. Now, we can't run the ball anywhere on the entire field.

hey, that's not entirely fair-- maroney runs the ball east and west pretty effectively. . .

that's why we had to have aa back who was familiar with the system. . .

:D

Buff
10-12-2010, 10:02 PM
My vote is considering the Pick we got for Marshal.

I don't follow... You know it's a 2nd rounder and not a 1st right? Are you saying we're going to be trading up/down?

dogfish
10-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Yes, fortunately (or not), the draft won't be based on the last 15 games 4-11) plus next week, where the best case scenario is that we will have won 5 of our last 16 games, and more likely 4.

The good news is that like you say, after next week, we should be in every game. Right now, it's looking like Houston will be our toughest match-up down the stretch, but all of the games should be winnable. If you figure we win half of those winnable games, that would give us five wins in the final ten and finish with a middle of the pack 7-9 record.

So, while we have a theoretical worse case of 4 or 5, I think it's highly unlikely. If it wasn't for the recent rash of injuries, I would say we still have a good shot at 9 or so wins, but that's going to be tough now --- doable, but tough.

Unlike some, I think a healthy Moreno is going to help our running game, combined with Clady, Kuper and Harris continuing to mend, and Walton getting experience. I expect the offense to get better, not worse (hopefully more balanced), and even with Ayers and Dawkins being big losses, I don't expect a big drop off from how our defense played the first four weeks.

I still see us with a realistic shot to win the division, even though it likely will be with 7 or 8 wins.

absolutely. . . i see our parameters this year being between 5-9 wins, most likely falling in the middle at 7. . . just our passing game by itself is good for a few more wins, and some other facets of the team have to show up at least a few weeks. . .

i do think moreno is better than the other backs we've been sending out there. . . i don't know if we're going to see all that much evidence of it if he can't get healthy enough to be on the field consistently, though-- and that means practice as well as on sunday. . . he needs to get out there for enough of a sustained period to start getting in a rhythm-- both over the course of the season, and during the games. . .

at this point, i don't know whether to expect much improvement from the OL or not. . . i understand all the challenges we're facing on that front, and am trying hard to be patient-- it's pretty f'n discouraging to see just zero progress, though. . . neither walton nor daniels has shown even the slightest sign of improvement as far as i can see, and all three of our vets really seem like they're struggling right now. . . as far as i'm concerned, everyone from the players to the coaches belongs under the microscope until things start moving in the right direction. . .

i most certainly do see the potential for improvement as a unit, but i'm not going to count on it until i see some tangible evidence. . .

i also am concerned that we will see a big drop-off on defense, because ayers was integral to what we were doing well in stopping the run. . . his ability to set the edge is really going to be missed with the average pursuit speed of all our LBs besides DJ-- and doubly so with our best safety out, and a CB hybrid likely taking his place in the lineup. . . our aging secondary is already banged up, we're thin at LB, and i'm afraid people are going to tee off on us. . .

our run D took a big hit IMO, and even the weaker QBs in this league can beat you when you can't get any pressure. . . we've unfortunately seen that in the past, and our "pass rush" is probably going to be historically bad this year-- think franchise low in sacks for a 16-game season, i'm guessing. . . i think it could get fugly. . .

i won't say we're out of a weak division at 2-3, but KC looks pretty legit to me-- nothing even faintly resembling "unbeatable" or anything like that, of course. . . this division could end up being up for grabs late and ugly, especially if anyone else gets the injury bug. . . we'll see. . . i really don't see this team pulling it off, though-- if we do, we might be calling our quarterback "kyle ortonway". . . :laugh:

Tned
10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
i also am concerned that we will see a big drop-off on defense, because ayers was integral to what we were doing well in stopping the run. . . his ability to set the edge is really going to be missed with the average pursuit speed of all our LBs besides DJ-- and doubly so with our best safety out, and a CB hybrid likely taking his place in the lineup. . . our aging secondary is already banged up, we're thin at LB, and i'm afraid people are going to tee off on us. . .

our run D took a big hit IMO, and even the weaker QBs in this league can beat you when you can't get any pressure. . . we've unfortunately seen that in the past, and our "pass rush" is probably going to be historically bad this year-- think franchise low in sacks for a 16-game season, i'm guessing. . . i think it could get fugly. . .

i won't say we're out of a weak division at 2-3, but KC looks pretty legit to me-- nothing even faintly resembling "unbeatable" or anything like that, of course. . . this division could end up being up for grabs late and ugly, especially if anyone else gets the injury bug. . . we'll see. . . i really don't see this team pulling it off, though-- if we do, we might be calling our quarterback "kyle ortonway". . . :laugh:

No question Ayers is a big loss, but while I think there will be a drop off in run defense, I am hoping it won't be big. Whether it's switching to a 4-3 or moving Hagan back outside, I expect them to adjust. With McBath down, I'm more concerned with who's going to replace Dawkins. I'm hoping this kid on the practice squad that McD talked about can step in. Not sure about Jones in that spot.

At this point, the 4-3 might be the best option.

Softskull
10-12-2010, 11:23 PM
No team has been able to even show an ounce of containment in the passig game, and that's knowing Denver can't run the ball, and won't..

Except in the red zone.

But I agree we should have a top 12 pick this year.

Elevation inc
10-13-2010, 03:34 AM

we beat Oak and KC at least 1 time, we beat San fran/St louis and arizona thats 5 plus our 2 is 7 wins.....maybe we steal one or two we shouldnt somewhere thats eight or nine.....