PDA

View Full Version : Overview of McDaniels on Sirius NFL Radio this morning

Tned
10-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Notes from McDaniels weekly interview on Sirius NFL Radio (typed up quickly -- excuse any typos).

On getting behind and letting the Ravens know you wouldn't be running on first down:

Getting behind wasn't our game plan. Ravens defense is good enough without our help -- too many mistakes and penalties. Entire team contributed to a bad day.

Defense on the field a lot, but a lot of that was offense being in third and long.

On Ayers and Doom:

It's not an IR situation, which is good for us. Ayers will work hard to get back on the field as soon as possible. Part of the game, been dealing with a lot of injuries since training camp.

Have flexibility to go to a 4-3, have been practicing it all along, might or might not go with 4-3 this week.

A lot of people need to step up to fill Ayers/Doom holes.

Dawkins and other injuries -- what can be done:

Not many opportunities to make roster moves, because none of the injured players this week are IR guys. In that regard, we have to play with the players that have been here and practicing. Might be able to make one or two changes, moving p Kyle McCarthy (S - practice squad) has been doing a good job and might be moved to main roster, Bruton and Jones have been playing well.

Peter King on Lloyds stats from Sunday -- Lloyds downfield threat after two teams gave up on him -- leading NFL in receptions and YPC -- what has been the key in reviving his career in Denver:

We believe in basing a player on what we see on film. We signed him last year. He's a good kid with tremendous ability. Not sure what happened before he came here. He and Brandon have unique relationship. Orton and Lloyd have good relationship from Chi. He is comfortable here and knows we will use him in a way that fits his talent/skillset. Great ability to track ball, great body control and great hands. Not common among receivers in league.

Ladanian Tomlinson -- How good are the Jets at running:

Team that can do a lot of things. It starts with their O line. They moved a new LG in and he's done a good job. Very few negative yards. Let Greene and LT do their job. LT quick, Greene powerful downhill runner. Need to understand which back is in the game and what their skillset is.

That doesn't account for Holmes and other receivers in the passing game with Sanchez playing well.

Will be great test, glad it's at home and need to play well in all phases.

BigDaddyBronco
10-12-2010, 08:27 AM
4-3, hmmmm. With Moss and Hunter as your OLB options, this makes sense. Use DJ in the middle with Haggan and Hunter as your OLB's. The Dline is healthy and you could use Moss or Hunter as a situational pass rusher at DE.

Makes sense.

rcsodak
10-12-2010, 08:33 AM
As I said after the injury news.....43 time.... Just hope the D doesn't lose it's focus. NY will have to throw ravens film away with the base changing. This is also a chance for Wink to go up against his buddy, rex....and show him a few wrinkles.
Kellar scares me though, with no McBath/Dawk.

T, no mention of DT's status?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Jagsbch
10-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Ayers out for 6 weeks? Dumervil out for at least more, there are two roster spots shot for one reason and one reason only, playoffs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hnd-uAOeVGo/Sq7mBI8sdFI/AAAAAAAAAZw/3SZWmHHUAfc/s400/playoffs.jpg

rcsodak
10-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Ayers out for 6 weeks? Dumervil out for at least more, there are two roster spots shot for one reason and one reason only, playoffs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hnd-uAOeVGo/Sq7mBI8sdFI/AAAAAAAAAZw/3SZWmHHUAfc/s400/playoffs.jpg
Doom is on IR. Has been for some time. The only roster spots open are the ones made by McD cutting somebody.
I wonder.....if McD cut TT, how long he'd be out there and who'd grab him?

Tned
10-12-2010, 09:17 AM
As I said after the injury news.....43 time.... Just hope the D doesn't lose it's focus. NY will have to throw ravens film away with the base changing. This is also a chance for Wink to go up against his buddy, rex....and show him a few wrinkles.

DT didn't come up. In his presser yesterday he said that they hadn't ruled DT out for Sunday.

rcsodak
10-12-2010, 09:55 AM
DT didn't come up. In his presser yesterday he said that they hadn't ruled DT out for Sunday.
No news = good news??

Maked you wonder if we'll see McBath again this year. They didn't hesitate in bringing out the apparatus. Ugh

underrated29
10-12-2010, 10:45 AM
hmmmm. DJ likes the will spot. Hagan is a run stuffer and so imo fits perfectly at Mike. That leaves hunter and or moss at SLB....I think hunter could probably keep up with a TE? Moss is fast enough, but not strong enough. We could alway put moss down on the line at DE, leave hunter as the Sam....

I think that could work.

So we go, Moss at LDE, Williams/mcbean at DT, Fields/thomas at DT, Vickerson RDE. DJ is will, Hagan is mike, Hunter is sam....

It could work, or at least thats how I might see it go.

dogfish
10-12-2010, 11:40 AM
4-3, hmmmm. With Moss and Hunter as your OLB options, this makes sense. Use DJ in the middle with Haggan and Hunter as your OLB's. The Dline is healthy and you could use Moss or Hunter as a situational pass rusher at DE.

Makes sense.

let's be honest, though-- it's no going to make one single bit of difference which front we run-- we don't have near enough talent in the front seven right now to be very effective in either one. . .

can't run the 3-4 effectively without OLBs? our 4-3 won't be any better with no DEs. . .

dogfish
10-12-2010, 11:44 AM
So we go, Moss at LDE, Williams/mcbean at DT, Fields/thomas at DT, Vickerson RDE. DJ is will, Hagan is mike, Hunter is sam....

It could work, or at least thats how I might see it go.

DJ hates me, but i honestly think putting him at SAM and playing woody at WILL, with either haggan or mays at MIKE, is our best 4-3 'backer alignment. . . i'd probably go with hunter at RDE, marcus thomas at three-tech, vickerson at one-tech and bannan at LDE-- replace bannan with moss on obvious passing downs. . .

of course, i think woodyard's hurt right now also. . .

BigDaddyBronco
10-12-2010, 11:51 AM
let's be honest, though-- it's no going to make one single bit of difference which front we run-- we don't have near enough talent in the front seven right now to be very effective in either one. . .

can't run the 3-4 effectively without OLBs? our 4-3 won't be any better with no DEs. . .

No, whatever they do, they aren't going to be good, but if we can slow them down a little, or get a few stops in the red zone, our offense could win a few games.

Either way, our chances of making the playoffs have taken a huge hit.

shank
10-12-2010, 12:00 PM
DJ hates me, but i honestly think putting him at SAM and playing woody at WILL, with either haggan or mays at MIKE, is our best 4-3 'backer alignment. . . i'd probably go with hunter at RDE, marcus thomas at three-tech, vickerson at one-tech and bannan at LDE-- replace bannan with moss on obvious passing downs. . .

yeah, woodyard is hurt too. not sure of the severity though... sounded like they expect him to be out against jets on broncos tonight last night.

underrated29
10-12-2010, 12:02 PM

Not sure how I forgot about bannan. Our best, most consistent dl player we have. I agree there.

Woody is hurt though like you said. I do not think he will be back in time for this game. Mays is alright, and I think he would do fine against shonne green. BUt I think LT would blow past him a bunch, and that scares me.

roomemp
10-12-2010, 02:44 PM

Dawk has been horrible in pass coverage this year. I think we might actually improve there with him out......I assume Nate Jones will fill in for dawk.

rcsodak
10-12-2010, 03:08 PM

dont you have your ends on wrong sides? Big guy on LDE, fast pass rusher on RDE.
Vick/JW at DT. MT might not be bad at LDE even...he can do backflips as a distraction. :D

rcsodak
10-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Dawk has been horrible in pass coverage this year. I think we might actually improve there with him out......I assume Nate Jones will fill in for dawk.
True, but he helped shut down DClark. Gonna miss him laying some wood down...

Elevation inc
10-12-2010, 03:29 PM

im pretty sure Dj will play WLB, Mays will play Mike, and haggan will go to Strongside.

Hunter will be our RDE, and Bannan will probally be our LDE, we will have jamal/fields inside at NT with thomas and vickerson rotating as UT if we go 4-3 thats my take...could work, who knows.....

dogfish
10-12-2010, 03:45 PM
im pretty sure Dj will play WLB, Mays will play Mike, and haggan will go to Strongside.

Hunter will be our RDE, and Bannan will probally be our LDE, we will have jamal/fields inside at NT with thomas and vickerson rotating as UT if we go 4-3 thats my take...could work, who knows....

oh, i think you know. . . :laugh:

I Eat Staples
10-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Hagan is awful at OLB. Moss is awful at playing football. Damn, we just keep getting more and more screwed...

Oh, and Joe Mays getting meaningful playing time? Yeah, we're screwed...