PDA

View Full Version : honest question

arapaho2
10-11-2010, 02:53 PM
why are clancy barone the oline coach and eric studsville escapeing the wrath of josh?

i believed the rbs are a huge part of the problem before, and i wont excuse them from fault...but now im kinda leaning towards the coaching

surely we cant say the lines issues are because of a lack of talent can we?, after all josh rebuilt this line for the power game, we drafted big lineman, we shipped out all the small zb linemen and kept who he thought fit his scheme

but in none of my bronco fan days have i seen as pathetic of a run game as i have seen so far
not only in the run game but we have given up 12 sacks already in five games and i cant blame that on orton this season

im sure the loss of dennisen and turner compound the coaching issue as turner was imo the best rbs coach in the game

so with all the talk being ..the backs at fault...or the oline at fault
when do we look at the fact, it may be the coaching?

NightTrainLayne
10-11-2010, 03:03 PM
why are clancy barone the oline coach and eric studsville escapeing the wrath of josh?

i believed the rbs are a huge part of the problem before, and i wont excuse them from fault...but now im kinda leaning towards the coaching

surely we cant say the lines issues are because of a lack of talent can we?, after all josh rebuilt this line for the power game, we drafted big lineman, we shipped out all the small zb linemen and kept who he thought fit his scheme

but in none of my bronco fan days have i seen as pathetic of a run game as i have seen so far
not only in the run game but we have given up 12 sacks already in five games and i cant blame that on orton this season

im sure the loss of dennisen and turner compound the coaching issue as turner was imo the best rbs coach in the game

so with all the talk being ..the backs at fault...or the oline at fault
when do we look at the fact, it may be the coaching?

If they don't feel their seats getting warm, they are clueless.

However, I think you have to see how the rest of the season progresses before drawing too many conclusions. I am beginning to suspect that position coaching is at least part of the problem, but we still don't have the guys at 100%. Clady and Harris look like shells of themselves. Kuper isn't 100% and two rookies makes for a difficult task on the OL. Throw in some RB injuries and it's really hard to tell where the blame needs to go.

robert ethan
10-11-2010, 03:17 PM
I think the problem was that McDaniels stretched the O line way too thin. He brought in veterans for the D line and some other positions but for some explicable reason thought he could plug two unexceptional rookies into the O line and everything would be fine. It's not even like they are bigger than average. Walton at 300 pounds is probably average for a center, Beadles at 310 is below average for a guard. Neither of them blew anyone away in strength tests at the Combine, and both came in rated as fourth or fifth round prospects. Should we be surprised? I certainly wasn't. Add onto that the fact that Harris was coming back from a serious long term injury and Clady was injured in the off season.

The coaching blame falls entirely on the shoulders of McDaniels in this case. When Stanley Daniels is your starting left gaurd, you have a problem.

broncofaninfla
10-11-2010, 03:52 PM
The fact that Daniels is beating out Beadles worries me. I sure hope he's better than Daniels. He's young and was solid in college, hopefully he grows into a solid NFL lineman as well. Regardless Denevr will need to bring in more guys to get better. Hoch and Daniels don't really provide any depth because they can't excecute effectively, both are huge liabilities in the running game.

I agree, it's time to question every coach that is invloved with the running game. NOTHING about Denver's running game is working. I hope it doesn't happen but it's only a matter of time before Orton gets hurt. They can key on him because they know Denver can't run on anybody.

Lonestar
10-11-2010, 03:53 PM
I think the problem was that McDaniels stretched the O line way too thin. He brought in veterans for the D line and some other positions but for some explicable reason thought he could plug two unexceptional rookies into the O line and everything would be fine. It's not even like they are bigger than average. Walton at 300 pounds is probably average for a center, Beadles at 310 is below average for a guard. Neither of them blew anyone away in strength tests at the Combine, and both came in rated as fourth or fifth round prospects. Should we be surprised? I certainly wasn't. Add onto that the fact that Harris was coming back from a serious long term injury and Clady was injured in the off season.

The coaching blame falls entirely on the shoulders of McDaniels in this case. When Stanley Daniels is your starting left guard, you have a problem.
Beadles had the same number of reps as Iupati who went in round one.

Walton was as fast or faster as Pouncey was and who did not bench at the combine.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010_C

Walton has graded out as one of our best OL in the weekly ratings IIRC.

One one thing you are correct Josh is responsible for everything but the actual on the field performances of the team, that is out of his control except for pulling them.

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 03:59 PM

The coaching blame falls entirely on the shoulders of McDaniels in this case. When Stanley Daniels is your starting left gaurd, you have a problem.

He brought in Russ Hochstein. Not that it helped but he is a vet.

robert ethan
10-11-2010, 04:04 PM
He brought in Russ Hochstein. Not that it helped but he is a vet. Hochstein was experienced and started a few games last year. He should not have had to wait for the rookies to fail before getting the start. It should have been the other way round.

arapaho2
10-11-2010, 04:05 PM

Walton was as fast or faster as Pouncey was and who did not bench at the combine.

One one thing you are correct Josh is responsible for everything but the actual on the field performances of the team, that is out of his control except for pulling them.

wrong...coaching extends to the field...if they dont understand thier blocking assignments...thats coaching...if the oline coach cannot see the mistakes the line is doing to get a run game going...that is coaching

if its a lack of talent...thats on the big coach

it these guys are not producing on the field and we rule out the talent..all you have left is coaching

im not gonna blame it on injuries...if they werent able to play effectively because of previous injuries...then again thats coaching ...put the best player on the field....and if a injured player is better than anyone else...whos fault is that?

robert ethan
10-11-2010, 04:09 PM

If you go back to the draft, I believe that both first rounders, Thomas and Tebow were drafted with an eye to the future. Both were considered longer term projects, and neither was expected to start as a rookie. Yet in rounds two and three, the club reachs for a couple of linemen who WERE expected to step right in and start.

It shows a blindly arrogant faith in "the system" to overcome all obstacles. Just plug anyone in and the playbook will carry things from there.:rolleyes:

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Hochstein was experienced and started a few games last year. He should not have had to wait for the rookies to fail before getting the start. It should have been the other way round.

Shanahan did the same thing with Clady! He gave Clady the job to lose. So why should we be critical of McD for the same? I know I wont be.

I want youth and I want them playing. It is the only way they will learn.

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 04:12 PM

Give me game tape over measuring tape everytime!

robert ethan
10-11-2010, 04:18 PM
There was nothing about Beadles and Walton prior to the draft that screamed DAY ONE STARTER! Quite the contrary, Beadles in particular was lit up at the Senior Bowl by college players. Walton was adequate, never outstanding in any regard at the college level. How many of you heard or cared about either player prior to the draft? That is ususally a good indicator.

arapaho2
10-11-2010, 04:20 PM
If you go back to the draft, I believe that both first rounders, Thomas and Tebow were drafted with an eye to the future. Both were considered longer term projects, and neither was expected to start as a rookie. Yet in rounds two and three, the club reachs for a couple of linemen who WERE expected to step right in and start.

It shows a blindly arrogant faith in "the system" to overcome all obstacles. Just plug anyone in and the playbook will carry things from there.:rolleyes:

to be honest hochstein sucked last year and i believe he was injured in camp? i have no issue putting beadles in

i wish we would put beadles in the position we drafted him for, which was the LG and not sit him because of his play at RT

Jagsbch
10-11-2010, 04:25 PM
How many of you heard or cared about either player prior to the draft? That is ususally a good indicator.

Your general rule of thumb exudes fail in regards to logic and reality. How manuy times have y9ou heard of players before the draft only to see them like your argument putting on a clinic for failure in regards to them assuming a starting role as a result of the hype?

I am so sick of hearing about how bad the offensiveline is. Who in the hell can block more guys than you have men to block?

Ortons dink and dunk antics is killing the line by drawing up defenders to stack the box.

Lonestar
10-11-2010, 04:28 PM

once again I'm guessing you have never played OLINE.

The fact is most top choices on the OLINE can step in and play at a pretty high level from almost day one. Because for the most part they are the only new part in the group at the time. but in this case we have 2 Newbies and it takes time for them to get into sync.

OLINE is not always just plain talent but in most cases how they play together and the longer they do so the better they become as a group.

After a while the guy next to you anticipates your moves and moves accordingly almost seamlessly.

While you can get away with a split second delay in reaction time in college the NFL DLines will eat you alive.

I suspect IF there are no other injuries by the week after the bye, we will be much better than today.

Bosco
10-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Ortons dink and dunk antics is killing the line by drawing up defenders to stack the box.

Speaking of fail.

Dreadnought
10-11-2010, 04:45 PM

Well, as anyone here can tell you, I'm pretty far from a McD fanboi, but this seems a bit silly. I don't think this team is on the right track, I don't think we're even all that good any more - but Orton has been freakin' brilliant. He and the WR corps is the silver lining of the season so far. He has been like finding a $20 bill in your pocket at the laundry. Blame lots of things here, but I suspect he has earned and locked up the future as starting QB.

McD sux as a HC, but he may indeed be the "QB whisperer." Give him his due

NightTrainLayne
10-11-2010, 04:56 PM
There was nothing about Beadles and Walton prior to the draft that screamed DAY ONE STARTER! Quite the contrary, Beadles in particular was lit up at the Senior Bowl by college players. Walton was adequate, never outstanding in any regard at the college level. How many of you heard or cared about either player prior to the draft? That is ususally a good indicator.

I was stoked to get Walton from day one. I expected him to start immediately. I've watched him in the Big 12 for these past couple of years, and he was a bad-ass on a very poor team (no one around him really).

You are about the only person I've ever seen say something negative about Walton's prospects going into the draft, and he is playing about as well as you can expect a rookie center in the NFL to play.

Lonestar
10-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I was stoked to get Walton from day one. I expected him to start immediately. I've watched him in the Big 12 for these past couple of years, and he was a bad-ass on a very poor team (no one around him really).

You are about the only person I've ever seen say something negative about Walton's prospects going into the draft, and he is playing about as well as you can expect a rookie center in the NFL to play.

here here.

what little college Football I have seen he was in a few games and he is one mean dude. As for a rookie center starting tough road to hoe but he has consistently graded better than the rest of the OLINE, with a revolving door on his left side.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

rcsodak
10-11-2010, 05:22 PM

LMAO! Are you new to the Broncos? His predecessor did the same thing with Olinemen, but worse. And succeeded. Other than clady(win) and foster(loss), he used 2nd day pix (back in the day) on them. IMO, teams are built with later rd pix...AROUND the earlier ones.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

robert ethan
10-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Its one thing to take players higher than they are rated, (in the case of Beadles and Walton, 2 full rounds higher in each case). It's quite another to take fourth and fifth round ranked prospects and plug them into the starting lineup from the moment they were drafted. You have about a 1 in 20 chance of success doing that.

rcsodak
10-11-2010, 05:29 PM
wow! So a team should only draft players you've heard of? Really? Do you have any idea of how many college teams there are? Div I/FBS/II/NAIA/III?
Rod Smith. Tom Brady. TD. Sharpe. HARDLY household names pre_draft.

TXBRONC
10-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Give me game tape over measuring tape everytime!

Agreed. The Combine really doesn't tell you if a guy play. There have been several players that dominated but then did nothing in the pros. Case in point Matt Jones who blew up the Combine was drafted in the first round and hasn't been anything special.

robert ethan
10-11-2010, 05:35 PM
wow! So a team should only draft players you've heard of? Really? Do you have any idea of how many college teams there are? Div I/FBS/II/NAIA/III?
Rod Smith. Tom Brady. TD. Sharpe. HARDLY household names pre_draft.

None of those guys started as a rookie, and none were expected to. Brady sat on the bench a couple of seasons behind Bledsoe, Smith was cut his first year and out of football for awhile, Sharpe was a seldom used wide receiver his first pro season (7 catchs). All of them took a few years to develop into starters and stars.

rcsodak
10-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Its one thing to take players higher than they are rated, (in the case of Beadles and Walton, 2 full rounds higher in each case). It's quite another to take fourth and fifth round ranked prospects and plug them into the starting lineup from the moment they were drafted. You have about a 1 in 20 chance of success doing that.
huh? So its ok to start them as long as they're drafted later?

robert ethan
10-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Agreed. The Combine really doesn't tell you if a guy play. There have been several players that dominated but then did nothing in the pros. Case in point Matt Jones who blew up the Combine was drafted in the first round and hasn't been anything special.

Jones was no slouch on the field despite learning a new position, until he ran into personal problems. The season he was arrested and suspended he had 65 catches for 1,000 yards through 12 games. I'm not watching tape to verify whether or not Walton is doing that great, but it seems doubtful that proven vets like Kuper, Clady, Harris and Hochstein are responsible for all the problems. The Combine is only one aspect, but still an aspect. Sometimes talented players are stuck on bad teams or in overlooked conferences and that is the one chance they have to show their talent. The Senior Bowl is another, and during that week Beadles was flat out awful and Walton just mediocre among a mediocre group of centers. As I said before, neither is particularly big for their position, Walton had to pump up to get to 300 pounds, and Beadles is a fat 310. Neither is particularly athletic, and both have shorter than average arm spans and hand sizes.

It's not so much that you can't get by with 5 inches, it's just that 10 can make life a lot better.:laugh:

rcsodak
10-11-2010, 05:47 PM
None of those guys started as a rookie, and none were expected to. Brady sat on the bench a couple of seasons behind Bledsoe, Smith was cut his first year and out of football for awhile, Sharpe was a seldom used wide receiver his first pro season (7 catchs). All of them took a few years to develop into starters and stars.
true. But was it because they had starters in front of them? Walton was draftrd to start as there wasnt a C on the roster. Hochstien is a backup. Beadles was a LT graded better as a LG.
TD, by the way, started his 1st yr.

arapaho2
10-11-2010, 05:50 PM
lost in all this is the question...should the oline and rbs coaches take some of the critism

is the problem the oline players
is it the rbs
a combination?

or could the coaching change be a problem with the running game?

last year we had turner and dennisen
even with a new blocking scheme, undersized lineman (weigman, hamilton) a rookie back we still average 114.8 ypg..and a respectable 4.2 ypc

this year bring in barone and studsvill...bigger oline, another year in the system for clady, harris and kuper...a full year under knowshons belt and we got pathetic with a 51.8 and 2.3ypc
shouldnt we get better with improvments?

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 05:56 PM
I will let the season play out.

However, the question for me is quickly becoming can McD hire the right coaches or big name coaches.

He's run off the big name coaches he has had. He tried to get Pees and he would rather work in a demoted role than come to Denver as DC.

We saw Todd Haley bring in former HC's in Weiss and Crennell.

The question could very easily become will coaches work with mcd.

arapaho2
10-11-2010, 06:06 PM
I will let the season play out.

However, the question for me is quickly becoming can McD hire the right coaches or big name coaches.

He's run off the big name coaches he has had. He tried to get Pees and he would rather work in a demoted role than come to Denver as DC.

We saw Todd Haley bring in former HC's in Weiss and Crennell.

The question could very easily become will coaches work with mcd.

my thoughts is i want a agressive coach in any capacity a coach strong willed, knows what he wants and is hired to do it

not a "im hired cause i'll bend to joshes every desire" coach
not saying thats what we got but josh does seem to have a side that wont allow another strong willed indevidule around very long

Bosco
10-11-2010, 07:06 PM
He tried to get Pees and he would rather work in a demoted role than come to Denver as DC.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/brice42/Blank-Facepalm.gif

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 09:28 PM

His cocaine dealer disagrees

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 09:29 PM
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/brice42/Blank-Facepalm.gif

I never knew that's what you looked like, Bosco. Sorry to remind you of the pain inflicted on you by Dean Pees dissing McDaniels.

Personally, I think it worked out for the better ;)

Bosco
10-11-2010, 10:06 PM
I never knew that's what you looked like, Bosco. Sorry to remind you of the pain inflicted on you by Dean Pees dissing McDaniels.

Personally, I think it worked out for the better ;)

I have better hair than that guy, and my watch is probably more stylish on those few occasions that I wear it.

frauschieze
10-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Hmmm....maybe Dennison and Turner were really great coaches who are hard to replace.

Just maybe.

Lonestar
10-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Hmmm....maybe Dennison and Turner were really great coaches who are hard to replace.

Just maybe.

yet may have been as useless as a teat on a boar for running the PBS. since Dennison was a LB in the pros never played OL and learned ONLY the ZBS from Gibbs.

Not sure what he could have taught the new kids about something he has ZERO experience at.

As for Bobby Not sure if he ever did any thing but ZBS either.

No doubt they were good coaches but I doubt if they would have adapted to the new scheme.

BeefStew25
10-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Am I missing something? Did Gibbs just leave Denver last year?

Dzone
10-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Bobby Turner was a big part of it. ZBS when well coached with smart players.. Produced numerous different 1,000 yard runners.

Oldschoolcrush
10-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Well, as anyone here can tell you, I'm pretty far from a McD fanboi, but this seems a bit silly. I don't think this team is on the right track, I don't think we're even all that good any more - but Orton has been freakin' brilliant. He and the WR corps is the silver lining of the season so far. He has been like finding a $20 bill in your pocket at the laundry. Blame lots of things here, but I suspect he has earned and locked up the future as starting QB.

McD sux as a HC, but he may indeed be the "QB whisperer." Give him his due

I agree and I disagree.... We are seeing WR's used in what you would normally see a TE.
What you need to understand is that our two TE's did nothing.
Gronkowski 1 rec 9 yds
Graham 1 rec 28 yds

Gaffney had 9 rec 87 yds with a long of 23 yds as a WR.... How many five/six yard receptions is that?
Royal had 4 rec 31 yds with a long of 13 yds...... Again five/six yard receptions... Keep in mind he runs after the catch
And then Lloyd who acted the most like a WR 5 rec 135 yds long of 44.
There was plenty of dinking and dunking going on, the problem is that it utilized the WR's that should otherwise be extending the field of play and taking defenders with it.

Now imagine if we had producing TE's that could give Orton the dump when needed..... Here's a thought, how about a RB that has incredible hands for the short pass dump as a bonus... Lets pretend he's a bruiser so he can protect against the rush; and he can run over the first defender and extend into the secondary.... Let's call this RB Hillis for the sake of a name.... :confused:
Heaven forbid you actually get in some play action where you can put their defense in motion off of misdirect, who the hell knows what would happen then?
I've had a great vantage point watching these games; Orton missed seeing the long pass receiver wide open over and over again.... He's been watching films, because as of late... He's beginning to see it! Orton is not a great checkdown quarterback.... Provide him with solid dump receivers from the TE position and RB, perhaps even throw in a FB for the hell of it.... I expect that to change as well.
Build a foundation around Orton? I don't know.... All I can think of is that gun to Lloyd in heavy coverage.... Wow!

Tom Brady is the master of the dink and dunk and has made it work for him.... McD is too scattered to see what will work too develop Orton; he certainly hasn't provided the tools to become a Brady double.

frauschieze
10-12-2010, 12:33 AM
yet may have been as useless as a teat on a boar for running the PBS. since Dennison was a LB in the pros never played OL and learned ONLY the ZBS from Gibbs.

Not sure what he could have taught the new kids about something he has ZERO experience at.

No doubt they were good coaches but I doubt if they would have adapted to the new scheme.

Who knows if they would have adapted or not. Obviously it makes more sense to have coaches which know the schemes that the HC wants to implement.

All I'm saying is that we downgraded coaches in both areas. It's going to have an effect, regardless of the scheme run. It could be that even if Dennison and Turner weren't as well versed in the PBS, they could run it better than our current coaches......

Again...who knows?

Buff
10-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Who knows if they would have adapted or not. Obviously it makes more sense to have coaches which know the schemes that the HC wants to implement.

All I'm saying is that we downgraded coaches in both areas. It's going to have an effect, regardless of the scheme run. It could be that even if Dennison and Turner weren't as well versed in the PBS, they could run it better than our current coaches......

Again...who knows?

I'll give you Turner, his track record speaks for itself, but you just like Dennison because he's a Montana boi. :eviltongue:

Elevation inc
10-12-2010, 01:32 AM

walton was a 2nd -3rd rd pick by every draft analyst that matters

Tned
10-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Here's a thought, how about a RB that has incredible hands for the short pass dump as a bonus... Lets pretend he's a bruiser so he can protect against the rush; and he can run over the first defender and extend into the secondary.... Let's call this RB Hillis for the sake of a name.... :confused:
Heaven forbid you actually get in some play action where you can put their defense in motion off of misdirect, who the hell knows what would happen then?

xeMvlvBLTko

Bosco
10-12-2010, 06:59 AM

Just maybe.

Except that we replaced them with three guys (Barone, Wylie and Studesville) who have pretty impressive resumes themselves. It's not like we just stuck a couple newbies in there and told them to go coach up the boys.

Bottom line, I'm not seeing a coaching problem here.

Slick
10-12-2010, 07:52 AM
I think it's more a case of both tackles coming off injury, the youth, and a couple guys who just aren't very good in Hochstein and Daniels IMO. That and our running backs just aren't very good.

They're doing a decent job of pass blocking considering everyone knows we are throwing 85% of the time.

I'm not ready to blame position coaches at this point.

Slick
10-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Also, for 5 guys to play cohesively as a unit, they need to play and practice together for a while. There's my captain obvious post of the day!

Thnikkaman
10-12-2010, 08:23 AM
I love you Slick. You tell these mamons what's up.

arapaho2
10-12-2010, 10:51 AM

and yet the broncos under dennisen and turner with a new scheme, rookie rb managed to get twice the yards per game than our current well versed and expirienced mcd choices for coaches

imagine that:coffee:

arapaho2
10-12-2010, 10:57 AM
xeMvlvBLTko

i cant understand how that guy wouldnt fit into our offense.....but then he looked so stupid catching that ball one handed and running it in for the score:lol:

BroncoTech
10-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't blame the Oline as much as I blame the play design. Other than 2 reverse plays we run per game our running plays lack any definable creativity. We don't set the edge for the play side or cutback side. We don't drive left or right on the Oline, we try to drive ahead. Were not setting traps with the guards we seem to have a blast left or blast right play and that's it. We got burned last week by the hand off to the up back on the quick hitter, we haven't run that recently, but we were good at it when we did years ago.

How about running some counter traps and seeing what this line can do? We might be able to get a guard on a linebacker after all.

BroncoTech
10-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Hey they ran the quick hitter with Larsen and picked up the first down (Barely). We did some running plays with pulling guards, I forgot Moreno just runs into the pulling guard.