PDA

View Full Version : What Does it Take?

spikerman
10-11-2010, 07:23 AM
What does it take to build a physically imposing team? It seems like it's been forever since Denver was really a smashmouth team. Even the Super Bowl Champion teams were more finesse than power. It seems like no matter who the coach is or what personnel changes are made, players turn into lightweights when they put on the orange and blue.

I was reading the DP this morning and I thought this one quote from Kiszla's article summed up the current state of the Broncos perfectly,

"While Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has vowed to build a physically intimidating team, his words ring as empty as the meekness of Denver's inept running game and his promise has been betrayed by a defense whose primary alignment against the Ravens seemed to be the fetal position."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16306642

Yikes! Sad, but true. :tsk:

It's been years since Denver has been able to stand toe-to-toe with the NFL heavyweights and actually punch them in the mouth. So what does it take?

MasterShake
10-11-2010, 07:55 AM
You see flashes of it (like the Giants game last year and the Titans game last week), but I really don't have an answer why it doesn't stick. To be honest, I don't think anyone quite matches the intensity the Ravens bring every year, and they could very well be the best team in the league right now.

I think once (if?) we find some balance with the running game and start lighting up the Red Zone, a lot of the pressure will be taken off the defense and they can play at a higher level more consistently. I think its easier to be as intense as the Ravens D when playing with a lead and getting a long breather on the sidelines as Ray Rice chews up clock.

I was praying for a split with the Titans and Ravens, and we got it. I hope we mop up the Jets at home, and get ready for a great run after the Halloween game in London. Hopefully SF wins a game before they play us, or we could be facing a desperate team before the BYE. Not even halfway through the season and we still need an identity, though.

SOCALORADO.
10-11-2010, 08:26 AM
What does it take to build a physically imposing team? It seems like it's been forever since Denver was really a smashmouth team. Even the Super Bowl Champion teams were more finesse than power. It seems like no matter who the coach is or what personnel changes are made, players turn into lightweights when they put on the orange and blue.

I was reading the DP this morning and I thought this one quote from Kiszla's article summed up the current state of the Broncos perfectly,

"While Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has vowed to build a physically intimidating team, his words ring as empty as the meekness of Denver's inept running game and his promise has been betrayed by a defense whose primary alignment against the Ravens seemed to be the fetal position."

It's been years since Denver has been able to stand toe-to-toe with the NFL heavyweights and actually punch them in the mouth. So what does it take?

http://www.sportsnewscaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/3f53ee95c4b5cd7a318eb68d87c576f0-getty-102314278bw008_alabama_v_du.jpg

Slick
10-11-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure how you can make a team that passes 50 times a game, physical.

At this point I'd settle for a left guard not named Daniels or Hochstein. Get someone competent to play along side Clady and run left.

I'm curious to see if we do anything before the trade deadline to improve on this or if we let it ride until next year. We aren't winning consistently until we rectify this problem IMO.

BigDaddyBronco
10-11-2010, 08:52 AM
It takes having an OLine of 315 road graders and a 260 lb fullback.

Look at Baltimore's DLine. Ngata plays end and could be a NT on many teams. Their DLine is huge!

That is what we are trying to do, but with Bannan we get Baltimore's sloppy seconds, we need to draft some big DLine guys high in the draft.

Grover
10-11-2010, 08:53 AM
We have not drafted big, powerful defensive linemen and middle linebackers. Instead, we've used our draft picks on offensive skill players and on defensive backs. Then we've used free agency to bring in the beef - but the beef is old and slow and can't play a full 60 minutes, even in rotation.

In a nutshell - until we make the defensive middle a priority (DT, NT, MLB) we will get pushed around by the bigger teams who HAVE spent high draft picks in these areas.

BigDaddyBronco
10-11-2010, 08:54 AM
We have not drafted big, powerful defensive linemen and middle linebackers. Instead, we've used our draft picks on offensive skill players and on defensive backs. Then we've used free agency to bring in the beef - but the beef is old and slow and can't play a full 60 minutes, even in rotation.

In a nutshell - until we make the defensive middle a priority (DT, NT, MLB) we will get pushed around by the bigger teams who HAVE spent high draft picks in these areas.
Bingo. Same with interior linemen on the OLine. 3rd and 4th rounders or worse.

NightTrainLayne
10-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Bingo. Same with interior linemen on the OLine. 3rd and 4th rounders or worse.

Add to that, our big guys (Clady, Harris) are hurt, and simply not playing up to expectations. . .I hope they get it together soon because it will be a long season if this is the best that the line can do.

BigDaddyBronco
10-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Add to that, our big guys (Clady, Harris) are hurt, and simply not playing up to expectations. . .I hope they get it together soon because it will be a long season if this is the best that the line can do.
I agree, they have not looked good. It's actually amazing that we have thrown the ball so well with the OLine struggling so badly.

I was watching the Philly-SF game last night and you should have seen the pockets Kolb was getting, while Smith was just getting killed. Hopefully they can continue to improve as the season wears on. Watching Hochstein in there wasn't comforting.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-11-2010, 09:30 AM
It definitely takes healthy players. We lost a top 5 pass rusher, our only viable running threat and our OLine is constantly hobbled. I'd first go w/ healthy players.

SOCALORADO.
10-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Is Logan Mankins still holding out?
I honestly lost track of that situation.

BigDaddyBronco
10-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Is Logan Mankins still holding out?
I honestly lost track of that situation.
Yes he is. There was a rumor about the Pats trading him to SD for V. Jackson. I doubt it, but it was floating around.

PAINTERDAVE
10-11-2010, 10:10 AM
"The Broncos must look in the mirror and ask a simple, brutal question: Are they tough enough?"

Nope.

This team is two draft years away from excellence.

By then it will be Tebow Time...
Orton having been traded away for some big O-lineman.

Until then... we just hang on tight and be the best fans we can be.

SOCALORADO.
10-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Yes he is. There was a rumor about the Pats trading him to SD for V. Jackson. I doubt it, but it was floating around.

So there would be 310 more pounds on that O-line.
And he already excels at the road grading, NE system.
I wonder if the 2nd, 2nd rounder would be enough to pry
him from NE!?!?
Not sure if i would be willing to do it myself, but i would
love to know if that pick would be enough in Belicheats mind.
Then NE would have 2 1sts, and 3 2nds.
I almost wouldnt do it just because of that fact alone! LOL!

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I seriously question if a spread offense team that throws the ball more, and throws to set up the run can be a big physical punch you in the face team.

In fact, I am trying to think of all the spread O teams and recall if any were physical.

broncofaninfla
10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I'd advise Mcd to model his team around Baltimore and Pittsburgh instead of his beloved Patriots. He also needs to gut the offensive line, Hochstien sucks, he sucked last year, he sucks this year, he doesn't add depth because he sucks where ever he plays on the line. Same with Daniels. Jury is still out on Beadles, he seems ok at best at pass protection but that is to be expeceted. What I didn't expect was he would be dominated on run blocking. EVERYTHING about Denver's running game needs to be addressed, the players, the coaches and the scheme because all suck at this point. We are the worst in the league and show no signs of improving at all. It's as though they don't even practice running plays although we know they do. The players are failing to exceute week in and out, at what point does Denver address the postion coaches?

Lonestar
10-11-2010, 11:05 AM
It takes having an OLine of 315 road graders and a 260 lb fullback.

Look at Baltimore's DLine. Ngata plays end and could be a NT on many teams. Their DLine is huge!

That is what we are trying to do, but with Bannan we get Baltimore's sloppy seconds, we need to draft some big DLine guys high in the draft.

Along with a few others I have been calling for a real DLINE rebuild since mike was hired. If you go back and look at DLINE players drafted day one not counting the farce year 07 is two players IIRC price and toveivose. Instead BOTH coaches have put lots of emphamsis on O. I'm hoping that this coming year we get a couple of studs with our #1 and 2 #2's. While I believe williams is the real deal he will not handle the load for long and fields as a NT give me a break.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
10-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Jury is still out on Beadles, he seems ok at best at pass protection but that is to be expeceted. What I didn't expect was he would be dominated on run blocking. EVERYTHING about Denver's running game needs to be addressed, the players, the coaches and the scheme because all suck at this point. We are the worst in the league and show no signs of improving at all. It's as though they don't even practice running plays although we know they do. The players are failing to exceute week in and out, at what point does Denver address the postion coaches?

I also have to wonder about the coaching for the OLINE.

I will excuse it to some degree becaus of all the injuries PAST and present.

Watch at least one play yesterday Clady got owned on a run play going his direction with the defensive player getting past him to make a tackle for a loss.

Is he really at 100%. Or is he lost in the PBS after playing ZBS since HS.

Or did the player just get one play on him.

Will be interesting to see Elevations grades this week on the LOS guys.

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I am not worried about our O line for now.

I have been bitching and crying for youth ACROSS the board. This is what you get when you put a bunch of youth in place.

Now I want some more youth on D! Especially on the line. I will settle for some down seasons and bad losses if it means we are truly built for the future.

broncofaninfla
10-11-2010, 02:20 PM
I also have to wonder about the coaching for the OLINE.

I will excuse it to some degree becaus of all the injuries PAST and present.

Watch at least one play yesterday Clady got owned on a run play going his direction with the defensive player getting past him to make a tackle for a loss.

Is he really at 100%. Or is he lost in the PBS after playing ZBS since HS.

Or did the player just get one play on him.

Will be interesting to see Elevations grades this week on the LOS guys.

I agree, I'm guessing Clady isn't 100% based on his play this year. I sure hope it isn't scheme related because he was awesome in the ZBS. I'm disapointed in Beadles, hopefully he gels as the season progresses or next season. Walton shows flashes of being solid but haven't noticed him over power anybody yet. Kuper and Harris are solid but not spectacular. Daniels and Hoch just plain suck, no point in carrying them for depth because when they get called upon to perform they fail miserably. I was also dissapointed in Grahams blocking yesterday. He was slow to make his blocks and got tossed like a rag doll. Hopefully the 2nd round pick Quinn steps up but all signs point towards that not happening at all.

Northman
10-11-2010, 02:30 PM

A very long time. Even the Patriots play far more physical than we do.

Lonestar
10-11-2010, 02:41 PM
A very long time. Even the Patriots play far more physical than we do.

for now I see it getting better down the road. lets see what happens after the bye week before condemning them to the dirt pile.

spikerman
10-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Some teams such as Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and even Tennessee seem to have tough, physical teams year in and year out. I guess it's just an organizational mindset from the owner on down. Sadly, I don't think Denver has that mindset.

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I guess it's just an organizational mindset from the owner on down. Sadly, I don't think Denver has that mindset.

Agreed. Marty Schottenheimer comes to mind. He goes somewhere and teams get gritty quick!

Should we get to a coaching change, I would love Brian Schottenheimer coaching and Marty as a GM with final authority! Nepitism runs deep with this team ;)

Lonestar
10-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Agreed. Marty Schottenheimer comes to mind. He goes somewhere and teams get gritty quick!

Should we get to a coaching change, I would love Brian Schottenheimer coaching and Marty as a GM with final authority! Nepitism runs deep with this team ;)

PLease marty the guy that never won a championship game. MR CHOKE.. that DEN destroyed more times than not.

keep him in any city that is not DEN.

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 09:33 PM
PLease marty the guy that never won a championship game. MR CHOKE.. that DEN destroyed more times than not.

We destroyed more times than not? Than why is our record in KC in Nov/DEC so decidedly bad going back to the time of his reign there? :confused:

Furthermore, Schottenheimer has never had an owner who wasn't labeled cheap. He never had an owner willing to spend extra dollars on the FA's.

The best article finished it by saying "Schottenheimer had the severe misfortune of running into the team of the decade twice and for working for owners who happened to be morons."

Finally, if Marty is so bad, why can he go into a place and in one season turn them around completely? We are talking terrible 1-15 teams not 8-8 teams. He can take them from soft finesse teams to pound the rock and dominate you physically in one season. If he can do it, any other coach in the league should be able to McDaniels included.

Lonestar
10-11-2010, 09:39 PM
We destroyed more times than not? Than why is our record in KC in Nov/DEC so decidedly bad going back to the time of his reign there? :confused:

Furthermore, Schottenheimer has never had an owner who wasn't labeled cheap. He never had an owner willing to spend extra dollars on the FA's.

The best article finished it by saying "Schottenheimer had the severe misfortune of running into the team of the decade twice and for working for owners who happened to be morons."

Finally, if Marty is so bad, why can he go into a place and in one season turn them around completely? We are talking terrible 1-15 teams not 8-8 teams. He can take them from soft finesse teams to pound the rock and dominate you physically in one season. If he can do it, any other coach in the league should be able to McDaniels included.

WOW just wow .

Just how many division titles does he have then look at how many conference champion ships.

That is the quintessential determining factor of CHOKE.

I could care less about turning teams into losers when it counts.

As for KC in DEC until this last regime they almost never lost there going back to the early/mid 60's when they moved there from Dallas. So it was NOT marty that started the winning tradition there..

Marty ball is defined by winning a lot of games in the regular and choking in the playoffs.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Just how many division titles does he have then look at how many conference champion ships.

Well if we were going to pick a coach based only on that, McD would never be here ;)

At some point you take a chance.

I think Bowlen would be reluctant to hire another first time coach without a real gm (which is why I made the suggestion I did).

Finally, HC's cannot be judged completely by one or two gigs. Afterall, look what Coughlin did in NYC after being labeled and maligned much like Marty.

BeefStew25
10-11-2010, 09:49 PM
I once sailed in a champion ship.

Lonestar
10-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Well if we were going to pick a coach based only on that, McD would never be here ;)

At some point you take a chance.

I think Bowlen would be reluctant to hire another first time coach without a real gm (which is why I made the suggestion I did).

Finally, HC's cannot be judged completely by one or two gigs. Afterall, look what Coughlin did in NYC after being labeled and maligned much like Marty.

Not sure how many jobs he has had but CLE, KC and SAN come to mind all of which he had access to talent and never was able to get it done.

might have been more gigs for him but I do not want a three possibly more loser on my team. infecting the team with loses. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

gobroncsnv
10-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Well, if you want to see another Marty Schottenheimer, look to Chuck Knox. Same thing. Made some world beater regular season teams, then NEVER got to the bowl.
Marty's MO was the same in Cleveland, KC, and SD. Playoff magic was NEVER his. Is it the cheap owner's who force you into regular season wild success, and awful playoff records? To me, that points to a coaching defect. I'm passing on Marty.

BeefStew25
10-11-2010, 09:59 PM
I guess none of you guys have been NFL coaches.

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Well, if you want to see another Marty Schottenheimer, look to Chuck Knox. Same thing. Made some world beater regular season teams, then NEVER got to the bowl.
Marty's MO was the same in Cleveland, KC, and SD. Playoff magic was NEVER his. Is it the cheap owner's who force you into regular season wild success, and awful playoff records? To me, that points to a coaching defect. I'm passing on Marty.

I only stated that he never had the fortune of working for an owner willing to spend the extra money to get the team over the hump.

I truly believe SD would have a SB by now had they kept him. That team's success has more to do with Marty, even after his departure, than Norv.

Also, I am not calling for Marty to be a coach. Read my post. I am calling for Brian Schottenheimer to be the coach (should this team HAVE to make a change). At least I am offering something up which is better than demanding "McDanials" be fired but not offer a credible replacement.

gobroncsnv
10-11-2010, 10:50 PM
hmmmm.... well, like this website is gonna convince Bowlen one way or another... It's all good. I'm just not betting the farm that Josh goes anywhere else for 2 seasons after this, pretty much convinced he gets at least one more after this one. Better clear my calendar so I can get the emails from Pat now, wondering what I'd do.
:>)

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 11:05 PM
hmmmm.... well, like this website is gonna convince Bowlen one way or another... It's all good. I'm just not betting the farm that Josh goes anywhere else for 2 seasons after this, pretty much convinced he gets at least one more after this one. Better clear my calendar so I can get the emails from Pat now, wondering what I'd do.
:>)

I bet next year is automatic assuming they play. If they don't play, all bets are off!

I wouldn't bet beyond next year.

gobroncsnv
10-12-2010, 07:01 AM
Does make you wonder what kind of coaching moves could be made in an 18 month "off season", doesn't it? This is not a very patient league.
The question was asked at the beginning of the thread, what does it take to make a "smash mouth" team? I would look at refusing to hire a coach who knows how to pronounce the words "Bend, don't break"... That is pretty much a DC waving the white flag before kickoff. You realize you didn't go get the kind of people who can make you an attacking defense, so your only hope is to bore the other team into a mistake.
I'm hoping at some point, we get the guys in the front 7 who can push the pile as much as they can read and react. Like the 2 buzzards waiting for a something to die so they could eat... "Patience my butt, I'm gonna go KILL something!"

Bosco
10-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Jesus ******* Christ. Is Kiszla really this stupid? (Magic 8 ball says yes).

I don't know what game Kiszla was watching, but I didn't see a defense that was in the fetal position. I saw a defense that started out with a great goalline stand and despite losing two defensive backs early on, generally played solid football until they got worn down from being on the field so long.

What I'd give to have some halfway decent journalists covering the Broncos locally.

rcsodak
10-12-2010, 09:28 AM

uh ohhhh. You're gonna get lambasted! Lol

I like to refer to him as Mr. Regular Seaason....or MRS. for short. :D

rcsodak
10-12-2010, 09:39 AM
I only stated that he never had the fortune of working for an owner willing to spend the extra money to get the team over the hump.

I truly believe SD would have a SB by now had they kept him. That team's success has more to do with Marty, even after his departure, than Norv.

Also, I am not calling for Marty to be a coach. Read my post. I am calling for Brian Schottenheimer to be the coach (should this team HAVE to make a change). At least I am offering something up which is better than demanding "McDanials" be fired but not offer a credible replacement.
So replace a 1st time HC with another?

No thx.

I like McD, and the fact he has both O/D background.

What has lil schotzy done? Callahan is the reason for their O success, imo.

jhildebrand
10-12-2010, 11:39 AM
So replace a 1st time HC with another?

No thx.

I like McD, and the fact he has both O/D background.

What has lil schotzy done? Callahan is the reason for their O success, imo.

READ THE THREAD :rolleyes:

PRIOR TO RESPONDING

SmilinAssasSin27
10-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Not sure how many jobs he has had but CLE, KC and SAN come to mind all of which he had access to talent and never was able to get it done.

might have been more gigs for him but I do not want a three possibly more loser on my team. infecting the team with loses. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

As little credit as ya wanna give to Marty, he did completely turn around 4 teams. Although Washington couldn't sustain after he left, he helped them too. Cleveland, KC and SD were TERRIBLE when he got there. You call him a choke artist, but he didn't fumble vs Denver, nor did he play defense vs The Drive. It's not like his teams got blown out in playoffs or that he was too nervous to have them ready to go. They simply lost to damn good teams. Sometimes the opposition made plays, some times, his players didn't. How many missed FGs from his kickers in all those years? He had his teams ion position to win and get to Super Bowls, but the players didn't come through.

TXBRONC
10-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Well I caught your post that if McDaniels ends up being replaced Marty's son might be a viable option. I for one wouldn't be against if the situation should call for it.

I've made fun of Marty because of his playoff record but facts are facts he knows how to rebuild teams.

jhildebrand
10-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Well I caught your post that if McDaniels ends up being replaced Marty's son might be a viable option. I for one wouldn't be against if the situation should call for it.

I've made fun of Marty because of his playoff record but facts are facts he knows how to rebuild teams.

ONLY if the decision is made to move on would I want Brian Schottenheimer. I would ONLY want him with a REAL GM-my choice is nepitism continued and have Marty be a GM.

TXBRONC
10-13-2010, 04:35 PM
ONLY if the decision is made to move on would I want Brian Schottenheimer. I would ONLY want him with a REAL GM-my choice is nepitism continued and have Marty be a GM.

Agreed.

frenchfan
10-14-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure how you can make a team that passes 50 times a game, physical.

At this point I'd settle for a left guard not named Daniels or Hochstein. Get someone competent to play along side Clady and run left.

I'm curious to see if we do anything before the trade deadline to improve on this or if we let it ride until next year. We aren't winning consistently until we rectify this problem IMO.I agree Slick... Though I think the D could be physical... I think at the Pats... they threw a lot the football, but their D were physical... May be not as physical as Ravens or Steelers ones... but not bad...

I think it's a tradition here... We often had "smart" D and great schemes... and passing O...

Teams like Bears, Ravens, Steelers, Giants often have this tradition of physical football... Don't know really why though...

I don't really care about the O because in the modern NFL you can survive with the pass... But our D is really too soft to me... I'd be more than happy to have a Ravens' like D... A D that can win the trenches and punishes the opponent for every yard gained... What a dream ! :D

Ravage!!!
10-14-2010, 11:47 AM

Look at Dungy's record in the playoffs, despite having Manning as his QB for 10 years. He had a losing playoff record.

Marty didn't fumble the ball on the 1 yrds line in Cleveland, nor did he fumble away the interception of Brady, when in San Diego. Made the Chiefs the team that went to the MOST playoffs in the 90s.

Marty has had some bad luck, but he never once had a top QB, and yet continued to take bottom dwellers to the playoffs.

That is NOT a coaching defect. That is amazing coaching.

BroncoNut
10-14-2010, 12:09 PM
we need to acquire a running back that can move the pile and run blocking O-linemen. that will enable Orton or whoever to better manage the game which will have the effect of a more consistently intense Defense imo.

PAINTERDAVE
11-27-2010, 03:53 AM
"The Broncos must look in the mirror and ask a simple, brutal question: Are they tough enough?"

Nope.

This team is two draft years away from excellence.

By then it will be Tebow Time...
Orton having been traded away for some big O-lineman.

Until then... we just hang on tight and be the best fans we can be.

Still trying to be the best fan I can be....

PAINTERDAVE
11-27-2010, 03:56 AM

^^^^^
This