PDA

View Full Version : Broncos snubbed by canton

BuffCreek65
08-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Here's an interesting take (http://www.opensports.com/community/user/blog_entry/52/fb16859d-cc70-4001-ba7c-d6dc9a1033e1) on Canton's snub job, i wouldn't post it but the title alone made me laugh. Funny considering Zimmerman is only #2. Excerpt below.

(Funniest title) Canton says to Denver, "We Hate you!"

Terrell Davis:
There wasn’t a person in the world that didn’t know who TD was. Well, there were a lot of people who didn’t know who Davis was, but they were either not human or soccer fans. His rise and fall was as quick as a Jenga game in an earthquake, and it may take time for people to realize just how incredible he was. None of the 24 running backs in the Hall had more rushing touchdowns in their first four years than Davis’ 56. Only current HOFers Eric Dickerson and Earl Campbell had more yards in their first four seasons. Yet, neither Dickerson nor Campbell started their first training camp as the sixth string running back following their respective drafts. Then again, their initials weren’t foreshadowing their future (at least, we hope that’s the case for Eric Dickerson).

Steve Atwater:
Water=Life, Atwater=Death. There is fear, and then there is the fear of Steve Atwater. You can’t measure his intangibles and his stats are decent, but you must consider this one very important fact. Of the millions of hits that the NFL has had in its history, there is only one that holds the prestigious title “The Hit.” Denver fans will remember his impact in the Super Bowl against Green Bay. Seven consecutive pro bowls beef up his resume, too. But Canton hates defense. And Steve Atwater hates Canton.

BroncoJoe
08-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I watched the top 10 non-HOF members on NFLN yesterday. No Broncos were listed, but many were talked about - Meck, Little, Gradishar among others.

One comment I thought was interesting was one of the voters kept saying "Was there a time during your career where you were clearly the best at your position?"

Uh, a definite YES for TD.

spikerman
08-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Not to mention that Gradishar averaged 200 tackles per season throughout his career. It's a travesty that he's not in.

Simple Jaded
08-03-2008, 01:38 PM
If Steve Atwater was a HoFamer then so is Billy Thompson, I've never seen him play but from what I'm told and from what I've read, Thompson was a better player......

AlWilsonizKING
08-03-2008, 02:13 PM
All I know is they are in the Ring of Fame and that is all that matters to me. If Canton wants to forget the Bronc's...let 'em. We don't need the Hall to tell us who is great.....We know...;)

Love the quote, "Atwater hates Canton!!"

PEACE!!!

lex
08-03-2008, 02:46 PM
If Steve Atwater was a HoFamer then so is Billy Thompson, I've never seen him play but from what I'm told and from what I've read, Thompson was a better player......

Perhaps but Atwater has pro bowls and was on two SB winning teams and SBs typically carry a lot of weight. If you go by conventional criteria, Atwater should be in.

I doubt you could find many running backs who were more prolific during a 3 year period than Terrell Davis...and if you do, Im quite certain theyre in the HOF. And when youre talking about running backs, should the voting be weighted more on a RBs best years or the preceding and subsequent years? And Ive loved the argument against Art Monk for so long, "was he really ever great?" The same could be said for Curtis Martin. Terrell Davis was great. Martin was very good for a very long time. Im not saying Martin shouldnt get in, he clearly should but so too should TD.

girler
08-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I went and watched The Hit again. I think I hate Canton too. :tongue:

Den21vsBal19
08-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Perhaps but Atwater has pro bowls and was on two SB winning teams and SBs typically carry a lot of weight. If you go by conventional criteria, Atwater should be in.

I doubt you could find many running backs who were more prolific during a 3 year period than Terrell Davis...and if you do, Im quite certain theyre in the HOF. And when youre talking about running backs, should the voting be weighted more on a RBs best years or the preceding and subsequent years? And Ive loved the argument against Art Monk for so long, "was he really ever great?" The same could be said for Curtis Martin. Terrell Davis was great. Martin was very good for a very long time. Im not saying Martin shouldnt get in, he clearly should but so too should TD.
Forget three year period, I bet there's no running back that can match TD for post season football.

Superbowl MVP, 2000 yard season, if he'd played on either coast, he'd be a shoe in

topscribe
08-03-2008, 03:39 PM

I saw them both, of course. I can't say one was better than the other
because they played on different teams in different eras. But there was a
time, IMO, when Billy Thompson was clearly the best.

-----

Slick
08-03-2008, 03:43 PM

Good post.

Who votes? Writers? Do they have a set criteria?

I think voting should be up to their peers. Maybe let players already in the hall vote.

If players who had to play against the likes of Atwater, Smith, Davis, Mecklenberg, Gradishar...etc. had a vote, most of these guys if not all, are in.

I wish I could say I didn't care about the lack of Broncos in the hall, but I do.

Bronco Bible
08-03-2008, 03:43 PM
I watched that show also, at least Denver was mentioned by R.Reilly & P. Zimmerman,it at least gives a person some hope.:coffee: I still do not think Andre Tipett is worthy of the HOF.jmo

topscribe
08-03-2008, 03:44 PM

When I saw the question, "Was there a time when he was clearly the best,"
I thought of Monk, too. He was a very good receiver, but the best? :tsk:

I remember controversies regarding TD vs. Barry Sanders. Who was the
best? Everyone else was considered on a second tier to them. Sanders had
the moves; TD had the Super Bowls, and it is safe to say the first SB was
lost without him. TD was the best.

-----

lex
08-03-2008, 06:34 PM
I watched that show also, at least Denver was mentioned by R.Reilly & P. Zimmerman,it at least gives a person some hope.:coffee: I still do not think Andre Tipett is worthy of the HOF.jmo

I think Tippett is worthy of the HOF. He had some amazing sack numbers. Generally speaking, I rarely and actually try to avoid saying such and such doesnt belong.

BTW, does anyone else think Tasker being on the list is amusing. Can it really be a snub when theres really very few if anyone like him? It just seems a little ridiculous that someone would get bent out of shape about this when theres not much of a precedent for it and when there are several players that werent exclusively special teamers. You got guys like Derrick Thomas, Cris Carter, and our laundry list of guys who arent in and to see Taskers name thrown out there seems silly. BTW, I question whether Mike Francesa really knows enough about the Broncos to say whether or not they belong.

BroncoWave
08-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Atwater not being in the HoF is a sham IMO. He has to get in one day.

Northman
08-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I think Tippett is worthy of the HOF. He had some amazing sack numbers. Generally speaking, I rarely and actually try to avoid saying such and such doesnt belong.

BTW, does anyone else think Tasker being on the list is amusing. Can it really be a snub when theres really very few if anyone like him? It just seems a little ridiculous that someone would get bent out of shape about this when theres not much of a precedent for it and when there are several players that werent exclusively special teamers. You got guys like Derrick Thomas, Cris Carter, and our laundry list of guys who arent in and to see Taskers name thrown out there seems silly. BTW, I question whether Mike Francesa really knows enough about the Broncos to say whether or not they belong.

Totally agree with your points here. Both were totally underrated on their respective teams.

lex
08-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Forget three year period, I bet there's no running back that can match TD for post season football.

Superbowl MVP, 2000 yard season, if he'd played on either coast, he'd be a shoe in

No theres not. And its good you brought that up because anyone who wants say "its the system": a) should realize that Joe Montana played in a QB friendly system and it didnt prevent him from getting in the HOF and, b) they need to look at the various instances where TDs back ups didnt do as well behind the same line, in the same system, in the same game.

Actually, I dont think it has to do totally with the fact that Denver is a small market. I think its worth pointing out that Woody Paige has been a joke as one who lobbies for Broncos. Its been made known that Woody Paige is a bumbling fool who doesnt take it seriously.

Simple Jaded
08-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Art Monk is far more deserving of HoF recognition than somebody like Michael "Tyrone Biggums" Irvin! I never thought Biggums was great, ever!

His best skill was getting away with Offensive Pass Interference, he should've have been on his knees praising Aikman's accuracy when he was up there crying crocodile tears last year instead of praising his own perseverance. Gimme a break!

He was a joke, and now he's a Hall of Fame joke.

I bristle at the arguments against Art Monk, I'm sorry, but he's a class act that clearly made the NFL a better game to watch. You can't always say that about Tyrone Biggums......

Day1BroncoFan
08-03-2008, 11:52 PM
The entire NFL would suck if you take the Broncos out of it.

Northman
08-26-2017, 10:01 AM
Here's an interesting take (http://www.opensports.com/community/user/blog_entry/52/fb16859d-cc70-4001-ba7c-d6dc9a1033e1) on Canton's snub job, i wouldn't post it but the title alone made me laugh. Funny considering Zimmerman is only #2. Excerpt below.

(Funniest title) Canton says to Denver, "We Hate you!"

Terrell Davis:
There wasn’t a person in the world that didn’t know who TD was. Well, there were a lot of people who didn’t know who Davis was, but they were either not human or soccer fans. His rise and fall was as quick as a Jenga game in an earthquake, and it may take time for people to realize just how incredible he was. None of the 24 running backs in the Hall had more rushing touchdowns in their first four years than Davis’ 56. Only current HOFers Eric Dickerson and Earl Campbell had more yards in their first four seasons. Yet, neither Dickerson nor Campbell started their first training camp as the sixth string running back following their respective drafts. Then again, their initials weren’t foreshadowing their future (at least, we hope that’s the case for Eric Dickerson).

Steve Atwater:
Water=Life, Atwater=Death. There is fear, and then there is the fear of Steve Atwater. You can’t measure his intangibles and his stats are decent, but you must consider this one very important fact. Of the millions of hits that the NFL has had in its history, there is only one that holds the prestigious title “The Hit.” Denver fans will remember his impact in the Super Bowl against Green Bay. Seven consecutive pro bowls beef up his resume, too. But Canton hates defense. And Steve Atwater hates Canton.

Well wherever you are BuffCreek TD made it and i hope its only a matter of time when we see Atwater, Gradishar, Bowlen, and more.

Simple Jaded
08-26-2017, 03:06 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/vHwrjbDeC9twQ/giphy.gif

Y'all act like crack is so bad!