PDA

View Full Version : The truth on the Champ Bailey negotiations

broncobryce
10-10-2010, 01:12 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16299738

If only the end of contract talks meant nothing more than the likely departure of Champ Bailey from the Broncos.

The more ominous sign from the negotiation shutdown is that Bailey won't have a league in which to play in 2011.

The 11th-hour decision to yank Bailey from his future was not made by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels or general manager Brian Xanders.

This decision came from above. According to NFL sources close to these negotiations, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and chief operating officer Joe Ellis made the call Tuesday to suspend talks until after the season.

Xanders was deep into negotiations with Bailey's agent Jack Reale on a four- year extension that would have averaged more than $10 million a season, but less than the $13 million salary the cornerback is making this year.

Negotiations were "85 percent done," a source said, when the Broncos decided to stop talking. Apparently, Bowlen and Ellis believe the league's possible shutdown is real enough to scuttle a contract that would allocate a guaranteed expenditure against revenue uncertainty.

"I've been saying this for a while, that all signs point to a lockout," said Brian Dawkins, one of the most prominent leaders within the players' union. "There's just been too many signs. I tell everyone: Expect the worst, hope for the best."

Beware, local sports pubs. An NFL lockout is not just rhetoric. The belief that a business generating an estimated $8.8 billion in annual revenues has too much to lose through a work stoppage ignores the fact that owners and players are diametrically opposed on too many issues.

"Any game missed would have a huge impact on us," said Dave Keefe, owner of Brooklyn's at both Invesco Field and the Pepsi Center. "We wait all year for those 10 games. You would assume they would learn from what happened to the NHL."

The NFL learned from the NHL, all right. NFL owners have hired Bob "Lockout" Batterman to head their labor
Perhaps Randy Moss' tendency to get disenchanted with his team should cause Hall of Fame voters to consider their choice. (Adam Bettcher, Getty Images )
negotiations. Batterman represented NHL owners during the labor war of 2004-05.

You know, the hockey season that was canceled because of a lockout.

And now here comes — gulp! — Lockout Batterman to the NFL proceedings. Still think the NFL will be playing next September?

Only if this labor dispute reaches the courts will this get settled. That's how Major League Baseball finally returned to the field after the work stoppage of 1994-95.

Unfortunately for the NFL players, Judge Sonia Sotomayor has since been promoted to the U.S. Supreme Court.

"You read about how in the NFL people aren't going to the games as much because we all have HDTVs now," Keefe said. "I know there's a lot more tickets available this year than there has been in the past; let's put it that way. A work stoppage would give people reason not to go. That's what happened with the NHL. I don't think the Avalanche has ever recovered from that."

By cutting off Bailey, Bowlen and Ellis have communicated similar concerns.

Bowlen and Ellis are on the business side of football. McDaniels and Xanders are football men first, second and third. They know it's easier to win with a nine-time Pro Bowler anchoring the left side of their defense.

"We want Champ Bailey to be here. We want him to finish his career here. There's no question about it," McDaniels said.

The only way McDaniels gets his wish is with the franchise tag, providing the new collective bargaining agreement still carries such an option. Otherwise, Bailey is likely playing his final season in Denver.

There has been CBA uncertainty for nearly a year, and the Broncos found a way to work out extensions with Elvis Dumervil, Chris Kuper and Kyle Orton, who as restricted free agents had little leverage.

Nothing against those players. But it's not often a guy named Champ ranks fourth on anyone's priority list.

The Broncos' business approach during this season of labor uncertainty has been counter to that of the New England Patriots. The Patriots gave a contract extension to their best player, Tom Brady, in his season before unrestricted free agency, while refusing to deal with restricted free-agent guard Logan Mankins.

Either way, football can be an ugly business. Here's hoping for guys like Bailey and Mankins, and local bar owners like Keefe, it doesn't get any uglier.

Read more: Klis: Don't believe 2011 NFL season is in peril? Time to start believing - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16299738#ixzz11ysBcHwI

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Ugh... I really don't want to lose him he's a hell of a leader

camdisco24
10-10-2010, 03:57 PM
I would be devastated to see Bailey in any other jersey.
He should be a Bronco for life....

rcsodak
10-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Maybe they should trade him to Detroit for ASmith. :coffee:

NightTrainLayne
10-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I was trying to make sense of this earlier in the week. This article assimilates all of the facts. McD, Xanders, & Bailey had the rug yanked out from under them.

Also, with Bowlen's position within the NFL, this really doesn't bode well for a season next season. Bowlen is not someone who you want to see being on the pessimistic side of that equation.

Watchthemiddle
10-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Speculation tonight on a post game radio show here in Denver was that they could trade Champ to NE for their hold-out pro bowl left guard Logan Mankins to help with the O-line.

If that speculation were to come true, and seeing the problems we are having on our O-line, would you be disappointed?

Mankins lef guard (lining up next to Clady)---
- 6'4 310lbs and is 28 years old.

Champ - 32 years old, still a top 5 CB in the league but for how much longer?

This is not my speculation, just rumor mill here in Denver on a post game show.

Discuss..................................

gobroncsnv
10-10-2010, 07:45 PM
No way do you swap out a CB like Bailey for a guard... No flippin' way! When you get someone like him, you break out the super glue. Not just the way he can play, but what he can teach our young'ns coming up. We need a couple more years out of Champ at CB, then move him to safety.

rationalfan
10-10-2010, 08:28 PM
uh, to me the bigger issue with this article isn't the possibility champ could play elsewhere. it's that there could be no games - at all, for a portion of the next season.

anybody else gloss over that?

or is there a perverse excitement to see scabs in the broncos uniforms?

jhildebrand
10-10-2010, 08:49 PM
So why extend Dumervil to that much cash knowing there would be a lockout? :confused:

Why extend anybody else? :confused:

Why, all of a sudden, is Champ's deal not worth doing because of the lockout?

Watchthemiddle
10-10-2010, 09:05 PM
So why extend Dumervil to that much cash knowing there would be a lockout? :confused:

Because.....

He could get traded.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Speculation tonight on a post game radio show here in Denver was that they could trade Champ to NE for their hold-out pro bowl left guard Logan Mankins to help with the O-line.

If that speculation were to come true, and seeing the problems we are having on our O-line, would you be disappointed?

Mankins lef guard (lining up next to Clady)---
- 6'4 310lbs and is 28 years old.

Champ - 32 years old, still a top 5 CB in the league but for how much longer?

This is not my speculation, just rumor mill here in Denver on a post game show.

Discuss..................................

Giving up our captain, a true leader, and a good guy. I would be disappointed I'm sorry maybe I'm weird but I'd be devastated to lose Champ.

Lonestar
10-10-2010, 10:30 PM

I'm guessing that things have went into the toilet in CBA talks since they did those players.

Frankly I was surprised that even they got signed. I'm guessing there is heavy duty language in their contracts limiting the teams liability if there is a lockout. or there is insurance to cover it.

Remember that the attorney they were talking about also Negotiated in the TV contracts that the owners would still get paid even if there were no games.

SO they are not at risk like the players are, most of which, I'd guess are living pay check to pay check just like the rest of us schmucks.

GEM
10-10-2010, 11:20 PM
I would be devastated to see Bailey in any other jersey.
He should be a Bronco for life....

I'd be devastated not to have a ******* season next year. Outside of working and kids and their school stuff, football is what I live for. It will be so difficult to have a fall Sunday that isn't dominated by game day festivities.

****, just the thought sucks.

Lonestar
10-10-2010, 11:22 PM
just move back to College Football. Plenty of that to watch and frankly I'd bet that they would move more games to Sunday.

GEM
10-10-2010, 11:22 PM
No way do you swap out a CB like Bailey for a guard... No flippin' way! When you get someone like him, you break out the super glue. Not just the way he can play, but what he can teach our young'ns coming up. We need a couple more years out of Champ at CB, then move him to safety.

Bailey doesn't have that prima donna attitude that he won't teach youngsters. He has said that the youngsters are like his little brothers and that he takes each under his wing. He's a quiet leader who does his job very well and without the attitude and the bullshit that comes with it.

I don't want a guard who isn't happy in NE coming in here and having an attitude in NE West. Not for Champ, no way.

broncobryce
10-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Champ pretty much shuts downn the best receiver of any team we play. I think boldin had 1 catch.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

GEM
10-11-2010, 12:50 AM
just move back to College Football. Plenty of that to watch and frankly I'd bet that they would move more games to Sunday.

I have never followed college ball. I don't have a team that is just my team. I haven't grown up with a team that I live and die by. The closest I have come is CU and that is only because they are my state's main university.

I could get into it, but my heart wouldn't be there. I'd only follow for the year that the Broncos weren't around. Plus, wrestling season starts soon and the tourneys are all day every Saturday. I love wrestling tourneys so that wins out. :lol: If ya'll think I am loud and obnoxious about football, you should come to a tourney. It's all one on one and my oldest boy is a freaking monster on the mat. :dance: It's my younger one's first year, but his brother has been teaching him everything the past year, so he's got a head start on all the other freshmen. :D

DenBronx
10-11-2010, 03:58 AM
The question is at this point is what exactly is Champ Baileys trade value?

He is in the final year of his contract. Why not test the market for him in the next few days before the deadline? Maybe not for some draft picks but what about a guy like Deangelo Williams (in the final contract year) Beason or Landry from Washington? I'm sure Shanahan would love to be reunited back with Bailey.

Is 13 mill really wise for a DB that is going into his mid 30's? I could see money better spent on a game breaking guy like Peppers, Briggs or Clay Matthews but I'm not too sure how much of an impact Champ has been really making the last couple of years. I've seen him give up some big plays at times.

I'm on the fence because I really do like Bailey and what he's capable of. He said it himself he "loves it here in Denver". That sounds like he wants to retire here and I think our coaches want him here just as bad. For Bailey to say he "was going to take less" I wonder how much less and what the total deal of the contract was going to be. For Bowlen to step in and stop the deal it makes me wonder if it was going to break the bank so to speak.

rcsodak
10-11-2010, 01:47 PM

easy. Look at the ages. Plus, doom/koop are on the upswing, cb on the down.

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 02:41 PM
easy. Look at the ages. Plus, doom/koop are on the upswing, cb on the down.

So now the team is lying er making excuses about the CBA as the reason for Champ's deal being yanked? :confused:

If it were his age I am sure the team would address it as such. Also, that idea doesn't hold much water. I think the team knew his age when they went into negotiations. I think they knew his age when they yanked the deal.

GEM
10-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Perhaps Bowlen had some optimism then that the CBA would be worked out. Maybe in the middle of these talks he got some information that made him change his mind. He is pretty much in the middle of it all since he is so active. It's easy for us because we aren't the ones that have to write the checks. There has to be a reason that Bowlen pulled the plug...other than Champ an his performance, age or otherwise.

Poet
10-11-2010, 03:15 PM

Because Dumervil's shelf life is a lot longer than Champ's at this point.

jhildebrand
10-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Perhaps Bowlen had some optimism then that the CBA would be worked out. Maybe in the middle of these talks he got some information that made him change his mind. He is pretty much in the middle of it all since he is so active. It's easy for us because we aren't the ones that have to write the checks. There has to be a reason that Bowlen pulled the plug...other than Champ an his performance, age or otherwise.

You may very well be right, GEM. I just have a hard time believing Bowlen would chance his relationship with Champ, and his chances for resigning him, without having a better pulse on the CBA. Bowlen is a very calculating and smart individual. However, the CBA could be so fluid you may be right.

KCL
10-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Because Dumervil's shelf life is a lot longer than Champ's at this point.

At this point Doom is injured...Champ isn't...;)

rcsodak
10-11-2010, 06:47 PM
At this point Doom is injured...Champ isn't...;)
no shit!?

KCL
10-11-2010, 06:49 PM
no shit!?

I said so..didn't I? :rolleyes:

Bosco
10-12-2010, 07:30 AM

That's exactly it. It was almost 4 months ago that we signed Dumervil to his extension and that's just short of a lifetime in labor negotiations. Not real hard to imagine that things could have swung for the worse in that time frame.

But really, what does it matter? Despite Josina Anderson doing her best to stir something up, Champ is a pro's pro so this idea that he's going to suddenly throw a hissy fit over this, or that the locker room is suddenly going to be full of tension, is pretty ridiculous.

rcsodak
10-12-2010, 07:44 AM
That's exactly it. It was almost 4 months ago that we signed Dumervil to his extension and that's just short of a lifetime in labor negotiations. Not real hard to imagine that things could have swung for the worse in that time frame.

But really, what does it matter? Despite Josina Anderson doing her best to stir something up, Champ is a pro's pro so this idea that he's going to suddenly throw a hissy fit over this, or that the locker room is suddenly going to be full of tension, is pretty ridiculous.
Yup. Much ado about nothin'