PDA

View Full Version : Montrose's 8/2 AM report

Italianmobstr7
08-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Practice was packed today, I overheard a security person say they had over 1,700 fans come in. It was a sight to see, as today was a great practice – even in the heat. I got a chance to have lunch with Apa and Kaylore after practice, they’ve got some great pics and notes so look out for that. With that, away we go…

QB: Jay looked great again today. I didn’t see one bad decision as he lasered in passes to all of his WR’s, looking sharp and accurate. During red zone drills, he ran for what would’ve been a few scores. During the final full drive of practice, Jay found Graham, D-Jack, Stokley and BMarsh for the TD. BMarsh’s TD was a sweet falling catch in the end zone. Apa said he had to contain his enthusiasm since he was with the media. At the 2-minute drill to end camp, Jay hit several WR’s to setup Prater for the game winner (which was about 54 yards). I don’t mean to get everybody overworked here, and the OL is certainly a question, but Jay looked INCREDIBLE and has all camp. I’d be more than willing to say he is now our best player, no disclaimers. The same can’t be said for Ramsey who had another terrible practice. Our section was clowning on him all session, just as we were he threw a terrible pick to Foxworth. He looks inaccurate and uncomfortable. He completed one nice pass down the seam to Nate Jackson (who fumbled) and that was it. Hackney again looked sharp, far and away the 2nd best QB at camp. He completed several nice passes in the intermediate and deep range.

RB: The Broncos seemed to focus more on passing today but Young, Hall and Torain all looked good. Selvin’s extra weight seems to be really benefiting him, as he’s running between the tackles more and more. He had a few nice carries and seemed to be constantly gaining 4-5 yards. Hall also looked good, catching a few screen passes and breaking a nice run to the outside against the 1st defense. Torain was also impressive, he makes beautiful cuts and is just a horse to bring down. He also put a juke on Morton after a swing pass in the red zone drills that the crowd loved. Alridge was okay, displaying his speed on one zone running play but the defense contained him well today. Clearly, the defense is aware when he’s on the field (as they now are with Royal). I didn’t see much of Sapp today because we were in mostly 3 WR sets. Hillis and Pittman were working in a bit at FB and HB, respectively – but I didn’t see much action for either. Pierce was playing some FB and looked okay but is clearly a fillin.

WR: BMarsh was the freaking man today. Best practice any player has had yet. He didn’t drop a ball, catching several very tough passes including one over Foxworth and in front of Rodgers. He scored a few TD’s in the red zone drill, put a reverse spin on one CB that made him fall down and scored that incredible TD falling in the end zone. He was simply amazing today and had the entire crowd getting behind him. D-Jack had another solid day, he caught a few passes on drags and is the clear #2. Stokley made some nice catches in traffic as well although JMFW is beginning to learn how to play him much better and they are having some battles. Colbert threw a nice block on a Torain cutback but that was about it. Martinex dropped an easy checkdown as did Russell. Royal caught a nice ball in front of Morton on a comeback but was mostly quiet. Today was the BMarsh show (with one exception to come…)

TE: Graham looks great, he seems to have really improved his route running and hands, and is still a tremendous blocker. He caught a beautiful pass on a seam route during the final drive. Nate Jackson had a tough practice, being stripped by Bly while heading to the sideline and later fumbling, but recovering, on a seam patter. Scheffler was so-so as well, he caught a nice driving pass and lost his shorts right in front of a laughing crowd. He also false started a dropped a ball he should, but one play later caught a long TD from Hackney on a bootleg. Tony was getting more reps with the 1st team and Nate Jackson was working more with the #2’s, so the world may be coming back into orbit for those here on the Mane.

OL: Best practice of camp! They looked great giving Cutler all kinds of time. Again there was a greater emphasis on the passing game today, but the OL looked solid all around. Nalen was out again with Wiegmann filling and doing a solid job – he’s probably better than Nalen in pass-pro. Clady was Clady, he picked up Winborn on a twist-blitz and put him right on his ass. My whole section (which was great by the way) were talking about effortless he looks – as if he’s been playing for 10 years. Harris was good as well, and I’m beginning to think Kuper and Harris will be the right side of our OL to begin this season. There isn’t much to speak of regarding the group as the starter’s were great today. The 2nd team was okay as well, although Polumbus had some trouble with Dumervil and Moss while Gandy and Lichtentsteiger were on roller skates blocking D-Rob.

DL: The first group looked good. D-Rob continues to anchor the middle while Peterson, Ekuban, Mallard and Thomas are playing as high motor complimentary players. With more passing, the DT’s were mostly quiet. Moss had another beastly practice, with two sacks, several pressures and a few tipped passes. Dumervil had a nice practice as well (with the emphasis on passing), he had a big sack on the end-of-practice drive. I didn’t see much of Crowder or Engelberger today. Peterson had a funny moment yelling at a ref that they can’t hit the QB’s during the end-of-practice drill.

LB: Niko and Nate were rotating at MLB while Boss was out today and replaced by Green. Kaylore and Apa think Nate’s looking like the MLB. I’m just not sure yet, I think it’ll depend on the preseason as both have there moments. With today being a heaving passing game, neither saw a ton of work. DJ looked solid as usual in coverage while Winborn and Green are good backups. I can’t speak too much on this unit as they were mostly quiet in the passing game.

DB: God I love our CB’s. Champ looked great today, the QB’s don’t even try him that often. Bly also looked good, he’s a great fit covering the slot in 3 WR sets – his strip of N.Jackson was sweet. Foxworth had another pick and continues to shine at practice. BMarsh got him on a deep pass by cutting in front and using his body, but I doubt Champ could’ve stopped that either. Paymah was okay but JMFW was better. Jack is sticking to Stokley like glue, I went crazy when JMFW flew in out of no where and blew up a bubble screen to Stokley. Abdullah was out and replaced by Manual who was mostly quiet. Saw a little of the 4-3-3-1 look today with McCree deep. Didn’t notice much of the safeties although Barrett had his best practice of camp. He laid a lick on Nate Jackson and Alridge and was flying around to the ball. All-in-all, the DB’s and WR’s had a great battle all day. I’d give the edge to the WR’s when Jay is QB’ing, but you get the sense that a lot of that just comes from unstoppable passes.

ST: Today was Matt Prater’s day. He had the entire crowd behind him as he drilled FG after FG, almost hitting the camera guy on the skylift numerous times. He didn’t miss a kick to my knowledge, all from the 40 and 50 yard ranges. The real crowd pleaser came when he lined up and absolutely drilled a 68 yard FG that would’ve been good from 73. The crowd went nuts, as did the team. If he can transfer this over to the games, we’ve got a real weapon here. He later hit 54 yard FG to win the game with :01 seconds left on the clock and send the team home happy on their 1 1/2 days off.

Had a great time today. I’ll try to make Monday but can’t promise anything. Have a good one guys!

troylightfoot
08-03-2008, 01:59 PM
wow prater!