PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton a symbol of huge passing numbers early this year

T.K.O.
10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Kyle Orton a symbol of huge passing numbers early this year
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 8, 2010 9:07 AM ET
By now, you've probably heard the stat. Kyle Orton has thrown for the second most passing yards through four weeks of anyone in NFL history.

The stat seems so ridiculous that we you almost can't take it seriously, especially in a season where Michael Vick is reborn and Randy Moss is traded to the Vikings. If you predicted any of this two months ago, people would have said you were insane. (Kyle Orton's top receiver is Brandon freaking Lloyd!)

Orton is easily on pace to break Dan Marino's passing record through four games, but it's worth noting he's not the only one. Peyton Manning and Phillip Rivers are both on pace for over 5,300 yards -- more than 200 more than Marino finished with.

Now, of course it's unlikely all three players will make a serious run at the record. They are only forced to throw because of weak defenses and running games.

"I would definitely trade in passing yards for offensive balance, no question about it," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said on Friday. "You do have to give [Orton] credit for what he has done. He's really executed our offense, executed our game plan -- under difficult circumstances."

Those circumstances include a 2.2 average on rushing attempts and a shady defense. Manning's big start comes alongside an uncharacteristically poor Colts pass defense and a now-typically inept running game.

While Orton is helping my wife's fantasy football team, the Broncos know they need to improve the rest of their team to get where they want.

"It's only four games!" receiver Eddie Royal told Mike Klis the Denver Post with a laugh. "I don't think we care about any of that. The only record we care about is wins and losses."

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-08-2010, 10:49 AM
"It's only four games!" receiver Eddie Royal told Mike Klis the Denver Post with a laugh. "I don't think we care about any of that. The only record we care about is wins and losses."

That's how I feel. It is extremely impressive and I'm glad he's doing so well, but every one needs to stop blowing this out of proportion the guy could completely fall apart this week. Don't step up the pressure I'd rather see Orton fly under the radar like he has most of his career in my opinion

Edmonton Bronco Fan
10-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Crazy, I didn't know about that 4 weeks in stat for passing yardage. Good that we have a strong passing attack.... not so good that we don't have a ground game.

Is KnoMo supposed to be back against Baltimore?

T.K.O.
10-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Crazy, I didn't know about that 4 weeks in stat for passing yardage. Good that we have a strong passing attack.... not so good that we don't have a ground game.

he practiced wed but not thurs.i would bet he will be listed as questionable and maybe get in on a few plays,but the load will again be placed on maroney and buck.:salute:

sanluis
10-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Orton looks great so far this year. It seems to me he usually starts off better than he finishes. Although this is one of the best starts for a QB I have seen in a long time. I have to hand it to Mc D and Orton for really executing an outstanding offense! ( and the WR)

This weeks game should be more of a challenge. I see Orton and company doing well. believe it or not! :eek::lol:

BroncoNut
10-08-2010, 02:42 PM
That's how I feel. It is extremely impressive and I'm glad he's doing so well, but every one needs to stop blowing this out of proportion the guy could completely fall apart this week. Don't step up the pressure I'd rather see Orton fly under the radar like he has most of his career in my opinion
I'm with you there. I hope he can handle this pressure and stay cool Kyle thru these next few weeks especially

BroncoNut
10-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Orton looks great so far this year. It seems to me he usually starts off better than he finishes. Although this is one of the best starts for a QB I have seen in a long time. I have to hand it to Mc D and Orton for really executing an outstanding offense! ( and the WR)

This weeks game should be more of a challenge. I see Orton and company doing well. believe it or not! :eek::lol:

ah, not quite there, but I am impressed with BOTH McD and Orton on this

BroncoNut
10-08-2010, 02:44 PM

it seems there was a thread on him sitting this one out. not sure though

Canmore
10-08-2010, 09:28 PM
it seems there was a thread on him sitting this one out. not sure though

On the Friday injury report, Moreno and Larsen are listed as out.

rcsodak
10-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Orton throws for 84more yeard, and he'll have the HIGHEST amount after 5games, in team history.

I'd take 83yds passing and 250yds rushing........

TXBRONC
10-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Orton throws for 84more yeard, and he'll have the HIGHEST amount after 5games, in team history.

Orton is already the Broncos career leaders in passing yeards. :heh: (j/k)

gobroncsnv
10-09-2010, 12:58 PM

AND the win!