PDA

View Full Version : Zimm Joins Elway in Canton

Shazam!
08-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Zimmerman's career has gone bust
True grit led to former Bronco's inclusion in Hall of Fame
By Lynn DeBruin, Rocky Mountain News
August 1, 2008

http://media.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/content/img/photos/2008/08/01/436799104_t220.jpg

He's an aspiring photographer now, one so intent on honing his craft that he has traded in an old dirt bike to buy a new lens.

But to get the full picture of Gary Zimmerman, who will join John Elway in the Pro Football Hall of Fame at enshrinement ceremonies Saturday, you have to look back at some old snapshots.

There's one of a nurse, seeing "Zim" after yet another postseason visit to the operating room and with three appendages doctored up, asking sympathetically if he had been in a car accident.

Then there's the scene against the rival Oakland Raiders when, despite having a shoulder out of joint, he refused to leave the game until No. 7 came out.

And finally, there's the nut itself, not Zimmerman for still wearing shorts at practice in the dead of winter, but the rusty one that sits in a fancy ring box in his trophy case in Bend, Ore.

Zimmerman still can hear all the screams and giggles and high-fives when every other member of the 1997 Broncos squad opened boxes that contained iced-out Super Bowl XXXII championship rings.

But when Zimmerman opened his, there was simply that ugly, metal nut. And it looked so beautiful.

"It's right on the money," Zimmerman, now 46, admitted.

A Man's man

As a 6-foot-6, 294-pound left tackle, Zimmerman was a bear of a man, one capable of neutralizing standouts such as Derrick Thomas and protecting Elway's blind side.

More important, he was an ironman, starting 169 consecutive NFL games at one point, including 76 for Denver. The kind of rugged player more suited to a rusty nut than a flashy ring.

"Gary was the best left tackle I ever saw play the game," Elway told The Associated Press this week.

In the last of his 12 seasons, he played until the Vince Lombardi Trophy was lifted high, even though he couldn't raise his left arm above his shoulder.

"He was a man's man. He looked like you could bounce a medicine ball off his chest," Broncos publicist Jim Saccomano said.

"You never had to worry about him," added Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, who will present Zimmerman at enshrinement in Canton, Ohio.

"You put him out there at left tackle and you never had to give him any help. When John developed that confidence in him, he felt almost as if he could ignore anybody coming from that side, because they weren't going to get to him. Obviously, that propelled us to the next level."

Elway was so reliant on Zimmerman, he left training camp in 1998 for the annual motorcycle rally in Sturgis, S.D., to try to coax one more season out of him.

Zimmerman admitted Elway's recruiting trip almost worked.

"I knew I couldn't do it. Then John came out and said, 'Oh, you can do it' and all that stuff, and when your buddy's around, you don't want to let him down. So I'm all excited about it and after he left, I'm all fired up, (saying), 'I'm going to do it.' But the reality is, I'd just be stealing, because I thought I wouldn't make it through the year. My mind wanted to, but my body said, 'No.' "

The Broncos went on to win a second Super Bowl, without Zimmerman, while he retired to Bend, and his 40 acres of pine, wife Lisa and daughters Lindsay and Kelsey.

Quiet, not cocky

Lisa was a freshman at the University of Oregon when she met her future husband.

She still laughs thinking about the scene in class, with Gary sitting there with a shirt button sewn to the tip of his finger to hold a torn tendon in place.

"I asked him what happened and he just said, 'Football,' " she recalled.

"I'm thinking, 'Cocky football player.' "

Only later did she realize it was shyness, not cockiness.

Though their paths crossed often in the athletic center as she ran track for the Ducks, they didn't carry on a conversation until their senior year.

"I think if I hadn't said something to him to start the conversation, we probably never would have spoken," Lisa Zimmerman said.

In Denver, Broncos fans and reporters knew Zimmerman as a man of few words. He thrived behind the line's self-imposed no-talk rule, which makes it all the crazier to hear him now when asked about his induction speech.

"The problem is, I've got too much to say for once in my life," Zimmerman said. "That's what's really bizarre. I've got so many people to thank and so many people who made a difference in my career, and a few little funny stories along the way, I've got to whittle it down."

Bowlen predicted Zimmerman wouldn't disappoint, just as Zimmerman delivered one of the most eloquent speeches when he was inducted into Oregon's state Hall of Fame a few years ago.

"A lot of people don't understand Gary is a very intelligent guy and he'll have some things to say that nobody would ever expect him to talk about," Bowlen said. "Zim will be Zim, but I'd be surprised if he isn't one of the more interesting guys who gives his speech."

Not so hip

While he clearly can talk, it's walking that recently has become a problem.

Though Zimmerman wouldn't change a thing, the wear and tear of football is evident.

He can't make a fist or straighten his fingers because his hands are mangled from years of abuse and surgery.

He can't play golf because of those shredded shoulders.

Though he loves snowboarding and snowmobiling, he hasn't done much of either in the past year because of a hip that needs to be replaced. Even dropping 40 pounds hasn't eased the pain.

"The shoulders have always been my problem, but the last few years it's been my hip. It's (to the point) where my shoulders don't bug me anymore because the hip has taken over the pain," he said.

He has a Sleep Number bed, but when he dials the firmness up to 70 for his shoulders, his hips hurt. When he dials it down to 50 to soften the bed for his hip, his shoulders hurt.

"The last year or so, it's become very limiting," he said. "It's just gradually getting worse, to where I can't fight it off much longer."

On the field, though, playing in pain was part of the job.

"That's easy. That's just mind control," Zimmerman said. "It's hard at first, but it became a thing of pride for me, not to let an injury stop me from playing. . . . Once you start doing it, you can never give in, because the first time you give in, it's over."

Fly me away

That toughness was recognized by teammates, fans and members of the Hall of Fame voting committee.

What they might not have known is that Zimmerman, while he played gruff and tough, also has a soft side.

Anytime a friend is in need, Zimmerman is the first to offer help, whether it's pouring concrete or joining a search-and-rescue operation.

And his daughters, Lisa says, have him wrapped around their fingers.

What else might the public not know about this seven-time Pro Bowler?

Though he still can be found clearing underbrush and limbing trees on his land at the east edge of the Cascade Mountains, he also makes regular visits to schools in Bend, bringing the real ring and the nut to a sports psychology class or teaching younger children Morse code.

Then there are those monthly pizza get-togethers with local members of his ham radio club. Yes, this quiet, shy man got a ham radio license several years ago and can be heard at night in his shop talking with strangers half a world away.

And if Bend ever gets too crowded, Zimmerman always could renew his pilot's license and fly away for a while.

Zimmerman, once so fearful of flying he had to be tranquilized before boarding a plane during his U.S. Football League days, conquered his fears by taking control of the controls.

Lisa said it all started with a fishing trip to Alaska when the plane he was on began leaking fluid and was diverted to another airport. There, a bush pilot flew in to pick him up in a plane so small, Lisa said, "you could squeeze the wings together."

Zimmerman was reluctant to board until the pilot explained all the aerodynamics and noises.

"I honestly thought when he got back from that trip, he would never get on a plane again," Lisa said. "But he literally got off that plane and, while we were still in the airport, told me he was going to take flying lessons."

He did, and even owned a Cessna 182 until family life and football squeezed his time.

Finally busted

For now, he's more focused on getting Kelsey in focus during volleyball games or family get-togethers.

While the humble Zimmerman downplays his photographic ability, Lisa said the results so far have been "stunning."

"Once he decides he wants something or tries to do something, there's no stopping him," she said.

Even growing up, that was the case.

His father, a NASA engineer, didn't want his son to be disappointed when he said he wanted to be a professional football player.

So Dad sat him down and analyzed the number of pro players and teams, then weighed the odds of Gary making it against all the other children playing high school football.

"It was a reality check for Gary but it also inspired him even more," Lisa said. " 'If that's what I want to do, I better

really buckle down to make this dream come true.' "

He lived it, and now he has a bronze bust to go along with that rusty, old nut.

AP Sports/Rocky Mountain News
__________________________________________________ __

He'll go in as a Bronco I assume? After all, he did win his Championship here, and worked with one of the greatest QBs of all time.

Congratulations Gary. I'll never forget your interview with Collinsworth in the Postgame interview.

broncosfanscott
08-02-2008, 01:39 AM
That's two Broncos in the HOF. Shannon Sharpe is next.

scott.475
08-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Zim has said repeatedly that he has no love for the Vikings, and he is going in as a Bronco. I am no expert, but I think the player gets to pick which team he goes in for.

A side note: my sister and her family know Zim, met him through horse riding classes they have their daughters in down in Bend. They have told me all the good things the article stated. He is a bear of a man, frequent pain, and a super nice guy. And yes, they have told me his daughters pull the strings. Much better personal story than creeps like Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas.

BroncoWave
08-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Zim has said repeatedly that he has no love for the Vikings, and he is going in as a Bronco. I am no expert, but I think the player gets to pick which team he goes in for.

A side note: my sister and her family know Zim, met him through horse riding classes they have their daughters in down in Bend. They have told me all the good things the article stated. He is a bear of a man, frequent pain, and a super nice guy. And yes, they have told me his daughters pull the strings. Much better personal story than creeps like Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas.

You don't go in with a team in the NFL like in baseball. You just go in for your whole career.

Hobe
08-02-2008, 12:10 PM
ZimmerMAN

That sums it perfectly!

broncosfanscott
08-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Cool, I got home just in time to see Zimmerman being introduced by Bowlen.

Coast Guard
08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Cool, I got home just in time to see Zimmerman being introduced by Bowlen.

Bowlen's speech was terrible...borderline embarrassing.

Gary did a great job on his speech! Great to have another Bronco in the HOF.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Bowlen's speech was terrible...borderline embarrassing.

Gary did a great job on his speech! Great to have another Bronco in the HOF.

Bowlen said he was nervous, and he has never been a great public speaker, but I think it was a great honor for Bowlen that Gary ask him to do it. I did not think he did that bad.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-02-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8204

Gary Zimmerman Inducted

By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Gary Zimmerman was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame Saturday. The former offensive tackle played for the Broncos from 1993 to 1997. With the seven-time Pro Bowler blocking, the Broncos led the AFC in total combined yards in 1995 and led the entire NFL in 1996 and 1997.

He won a Super Bowl with the Broncos in 1997.

DenverBroncos.com has the induction in Canton covered, with an entire page devoted to all things Zimmerman. Keep checking back throughout the weekend for updates.

http://web1.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=2346

SmilinAssasSin27
08-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Bowlen was AWFUL! In teh intro he talked about the GM who like Zimmerman, but also said he didn't remember who it was. We evn had to laugh. We sat amongst thousands of Skins fans who laughed hysterically at Bowlen's debacle. Embarrassing.

BUT...Zim is the frickin man. Congrats to him!

SmilinAssasSin27
08-02-2008, 10:21 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/27atwater/hof006.jpg

Irvin and Mooch gettin ready

SmilinAssasSin27
08-02-2008, 10:22 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/27atwater/hof008.jpg

Crappy shot. I know. I left w/o my real camera and had to use this digital POS.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-02-2008, 10:23 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/27atwater/hof003.jpg

BigDaddyBronco
08-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Bowlen was AWFUL! In teh intro he talked about the GM who like Zimmerman, but also said he didn't remember who it was. We evn had to laugh. We sat amongst thousands of Skins fans who laughed hysterically at Bowlen's debacle. Embarrassing.

BUT...Zim is the frickin man. Congrats to him!

I'll give Bowlen a pass, after all he has been a great owner. Ha can suck all he wants at public speaking.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-02-2008, 10:28 PM
The guy in front of me turned around and said he counted me saying "wow" 8 times during the first 2 minutes of the speech. It was that uncomfortable.

I don't think any less of the guy though. He's a great owner. Safe to assume Sharpe won't be giving Bowlen the invite in 09.

Coast Guard
08-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Bowlen also said that John went into the HOF last year. His speech was uncomfortable to watch...I wanted it to end.

Bronco9798
08-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Good for Zim, well deserved!!!

claymore
08-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Good for Zim, well deserved!!!
Did you listen to the speech Niner? I thought Bowlen was overly nervous, but Zimm did really good.

Bronco9798
08-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Did you listen to the speech Niner? I thought Bowlen was overly nervous, but Zimm did really good.

Nah, just read about it. Never got a chance to see it.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2008, 12:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/halloffame08/news/story?id=3516489

Link for both Pat and Gary's speeches. Too long for me to post both here. As you can see, early Pat indicated he was very nervous.

Presenter Pat Bowlen

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. There's one thing that struck me as I was listening to the presenters tonight and that was that Jared Green and Derek Thomas did a remarkable job for their fathers. And I hope I can do half that well. I'm very inspired by how they handled a huge responsibility.

Gary Zimmerman represents the second guy, second player, rather, to go into the Hall of Fame as a Bronco. John, last year, was the first. And that will tell you something about what the selectors think of his ability. Because I said at the time that I felt the next guy is going to have a very high bar to reach if they were going to compare with John.

And I have to agree with the selectors that Gary Zimmerman was the John Elway of the offensive line and the second best player to play for me.

When Gary asked me to represent him to be his presenter, I, of course, was very honored. But I have to admit to all of you out there in the audience that I am very nervous fellow up here. This is a job I've never had before and so please bear with me a little bit.

When Gary asked me to be his presenter, my first concern, I guess, was that I was going to have a difficult time explaining how good he really was. An offensive linemen doesn't usually get very much attention. Gary wanted very little of it. But there's no doubt in my mind that for five years he was the mainstay of our offensive line and the major reason that we were able to go and win our first Super Bowl in 1997.

I think one of the things that Gary was very good at was inspiring his teammates. And when he arrived in Colorado, in Denver, he sat his other four offensive linemen down and he said: This is what we're going to do. We're going to work our tails off. We're never going to talk to the press, and we're going to have our own corner of the locker room. And from that moment on our offensive line, in my humble opinion, became one of the better offensive lines in football. And they were really under the tutelage of Zimmerman, better known as Zim.

One of the problems that Gary suffered with was he had a very bad left shoulder, which is something you don't want if you're playing left tackle. And I'd watch him every game, and I would watch him go through the motions of a lot of pain, but I don't think he ever gave up a sack. And it was unbelievable that he could play at that level with an arm that he could only lift this high.

And when it came time for him to retire, in his mind, it was right after the Super Bowl in San Diego, Super Bowl XXXII, and I remember vividly we were all partying and having a great time, and I looked in the back of the room and there were the five offensive linemen standing in the back with a beer in their hands and just watching this party go on.

So I said I've got to approach these guys. I've got to get them involved in the fun. And I went back and I said: Gary, why don't you guys come on out and sit down at a table and drink your beer there and maybe get into some dancing and stuff. And, oh, by the way, Gary, I can't wait until next year. And that's when he dropped it on me at the Super Bowl party. Mr. B, I'm done. That was the end of my evening (laughter).

I have a lot of things written down up here, but as I say, I'm new to this job. I guess the last thing I'd like to say is something that really comes from my heart, and I will try not to cry. Zim, the Broncos love you. We love you for the way you conducted yourself, for the kind of guy you were and for the great player that you were for us and for the entire game. I mean that from my heart. I can't talk up here anymore. I'm about ready to start crying.

broncosfanscott
08-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Bowlen said he was nervous, and he has never been a great public speaker, but I think it was a great honor for Bowlen that Gary ask him to do it. I did not think he did that bad.

Me too. One of the cool things was during a video you see Bowlen and Zimm after they won the SB saying "Aren't you glad we talked you out of retirement" Too bad we didn't have him for his whole career.

weazel
08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
I thought it was funny when they said that Zim' went to Oregon because they told him he would be a linebacker, and when he got there they gave him a jersey with 76 on it!
It was cool to see another Bronco get into the hall for sure, I'm glad I missed Bowlen's speech.