PDA

View Full Version : « 'Dirty' label will stick to Titans Finnegan fined another $5,000

Denver Native (Carol)
10-08-2010, 08:53 AM
http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2010/10/07/finnegan-fined-another-5000/

Another week, another fine for Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan.

The NFL has fined Finnegan $5,000 for an incident involving Broncos offensive lineman Chris Kuper in Sunday’s 26–20 loss to the Broncos. It’s the same play that prompted Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton to call Finnegan a “dirty” player. Orton accused Finnegan of punching Kuper.

“It’s ridiculous,’’ Orton said. “If that is the type of player Cortland Finnegan wants to be, then he is a cheap player – he is not a good player.’’

Finnegan said he didn’t do anything out of the ordinary against the Broncos, or involving Kuper. Finnegan was not penalized on the play.

"I was just being me,’’ Finnegan said.

Finnegan has now been fined $15,000 over the last three weeks after receiving $5,000 fines in games against the Steelers and Giants.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-08-2010, 08:55 AM
He has been fined 3 out of 4 weeks. Maybe it's time the NFL sat his BUTT for a week or two

Jagsbch
10-08-2010, 09:00 AM
$5,000 fine? You may as well have just told him not to do it again with a wink and a smile at this rate...

This fine is more for entertainment value than posing as an actual punishment.

What is 5k to a guy who signed a four-year $16.8 million contract?

This is a joke...

Lonestar
10-08-2010, 09:07 AM
I would think that 5 grand is not enough to get his attention either escalate it or suspend his ass, the next time.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Northman
10-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Dont worry, in time he will get a suspension. 3 out of 4 weeks speaks volumns right now.

Nomad
10-08-2010, 10:15 AM
What did the guy do??

Northman
10-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Threw his forearm into Kupers head when his helmet came off.

LTC Pain
10-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Threw his forearm into Kupers head when his helmet came off.

Exactly and Maroney and the ball were somewhere else. It's pretty easy to see that Finnegan goes after Kuper's helmetless head instead of the ball carrier Maroney. I'd like to see if Finnegan can survive a belly buster from Kuper.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Titans fans trying to say this guy is a top tier corner kind of makes me laugh now. Haven't watched him play in a while though.

sanluis
10-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Players will dish out their own law soon enough for this d-bag.

You would think that the fine would increase each week???

5k, 10k, 15k, so on... that might be a little less of a joke .

Day1BroncoFan
10-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Sounds to me like courtney er courtland is a cheap shot artist. Kyle is right on. :coffee:

BCJ
10-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Wonder what quotes Jeff Fisher wants to give us now about his CB. Since he needed to tell us about how great his defense did against Orton and the offense and yet forgot to mention they lost. Now, how will he spin this?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-08-2010, 04:23 PM
According to this article, the fine was $10,000.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b29792/article/titans-finnegan-fined-10k-for-incident-that-angered-broncos?module=HP_headlines

The NFL fined Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan $10,000 on Friday for an incident involving Denver Broncos offensive lineman Chris Kuper last weekend, NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reports, citing a league source.

In its letter to Finnegan, the league noted that future infractions of this type could lead to increased disciplinary action. Finnegan has been fined $20,000 for infractions in the past three games.

Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton claimed Sunday that Finnegan punched Kuper when the lineman's helmet was off during Denver's 26-20 victory at Tennessee.

Finnegan, who wasn't penalized on the play, claimed he did nothing wrong, but Orton singled out the cornerback as a "cheap" player.

"When we've got Chris Kuper with his helmet off, getting punched, it's ridiculous," Orton told reporters after the game. "If that's the type of player Cortland Finnegan wants to be, well then he's a cheap player, he's not a good player."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels agreed that the Titans were out of line.

"After watching the film, I'd say (Orton's comments) were accurate," McDaniels told The Denver Post on Monday. "Our guys did a great job of keeping our poise and composure and not getting into an unsportsmanlike conduct type of game. ... There's a way to play tough and physical without being dirty."

Titans coach Jeff Fisher contends that his team doesn't play dirty. It just plays hard.

"You don't hear comments out of teams that are familiar with us along those lines ... from the Texans or anybody else in the division," Fisher said Wednesday. "It's just kind of one of those things that happened, and we're done with it. We're going to play hard, and if someone doesn't like the way we play, then so be it."

Finnegan also was fined $5,000 for plays against the New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers.

Finnegan, a former Pro Bowl pick who's in his fifth NFL season, has 24 total tackles and one sack this season.

TXBRONC
10-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Two years ago when the Titans went on that long winning streak Finnegan did the same thing in game and after the opponent scored mainly because Finnegans stupidity Keith Bullock nearly beat his ass on the sidelines for those antics. I guess Finnegan needs is another Keith Bullock like talking too by a teammate.

T.K.O.
10-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Another fine for Finnegan could mean suspension
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 8, 2010 4:29 PM ET
Three fines, and you're almost out in the NFL.

After Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan was fined for a third straight week, the NFL warned him that future infractions could result in "increased disciplinary action," according to Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean.

Such a warning is fairly standard. Cowboys tackle Flozell Adams was fined three straight times last year, and warned he could face additional action. When he was involved in an incident two months later, Adams was fined $50,000, but not suspended.

Finnegan's fine totals are starting to climb as well. He was fined $10,000 this week instead of the usual $5,000.

Dzone
10-08-2010, 06:59 PM
what a jerk

Nomad
10-08-2010, 07:05 PM
what a jerk

These are the kind of guys a player doesn't mind taking the knees out and possibly ending a career! JMO!!

dogfish
10-08-2010, 11:28 PM
funny. . . somebody over on PFT just referred to him as courtland FINE AGAIN. . .

Canmore
10-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Fining Finnegan $10000 on top of his other two $5000 fines is not enough. Giving him a warning is not enough. He should have been suspended for his actions against Kuper. A game check would probably get through to the guy that his dirty play is not accceptable.

gobroncsnv
10-09-2010, 09:43 AM
It's just one more way a player shows he thinks he's not good enough to play in the league without this extra-curricular crap. This kind of pattern of stupidity needs to be dealt with harshly.

rcsodak
10-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Fisher was on Sirius NFL yesterday, and asked about it. In HIS eyes, of the three, this one by far was not a finable act. He didn't see anything wrong, and said "evidently, we must be looking at different film".

What an ass. I used to really like him, thinking he was a great defensive mind/motivator. Especially after seeing how he turned them around after their terrible start last year. But now....not so much.

He did say, though, that Denver really did a great job of 2gapping and shutting down CJ2k. And that Orton is seeing the whole field and playing out of his mind.

gobroncsnv
10-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm in the exact same boat... I remember when he was just a young pup with the Rams (back when they were my team), thinking they really screwed up when they let him go. But after him glossing over this garbage, I'm thinking he's a putz as well. Too bad.
I've NEVER argued with aggressive play, but will never tolerate dirty play. Big difference to me.

I Eat Staples
10-09-2010, 08:35 PM
$5,000 to him is like $5 to me.

And you know, of all the things McD has done that I hated, calling out Jeff Fisher is something I loved. He got criticized for it, but I'm glad to have a coach that's not afraid to speak his mind to anyone. If he feels the Titans are dirty, and he feels Jeff Fisher is the cause of it, then by all means don't be afraid to say it. Good job McD.

horsepig
10-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Makes for more funm in the media too.