PDA

View Full Version : Broncos break off contract talks with Champ Bailey until offseason

broncofaninfla
10-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Broncos break off contract talks with Champ Bailey until offseason

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 7, 2010 5:19 PM ET
A report surfaced in the Denver Post this week that the Broncos and cornerback Champ Bailey (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1925) had renewed talks on a long-term contract (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16253645).

According to Bailey's agent Jack Reale, those talks didn't last long.

Josina Anderson of FOX 31 in Denver reports the Broncos broke off talks (http://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/26683533476) until the season is over.

"Apparently there won't be any further discussions about Champ's contract until at least after the season. This is not our choice. This is a choice by the Broncos. We'll respect that and move on if we have to," Real said.

Because of his age -- 32 -- Bailey's next contract will be tricky. He's earning $9.5 million this year and then will become a free agent. The Broncos, like the Patriots, probably aren't big fans of agents negotiating through the media.

"I am disappointed (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/10/07/broncos-call-off-bailey-extension-talks/5472/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-blogs-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%3A+Blo g%29) because I want to be here,'' Bailey told Mike Klis of the Denver Post. "We know that, they know that. What's the issue here, really?''

Ravage!!!
10-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Money. I was shocked to hear of McD spending big dollars on an older CB, because Belicheck doesn't pay big dollars to CBs.

Not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying that it doesn't shock me if it doesn't considering NE's philosophy.

broncofaninfla
10-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Champs been a damn good Bronco, I'm not saying break the bank but I hope we show him the respect that Phili failed to show Dawkins.....

Champs also been supportive of Mcd, hopefully this works out. If Champ responeds by playing lights out I bet Denver makes it happen. If not it will be another move I'll have to question.

GEM
10-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Wrong time to go into contract talks. I don't think it's that they don't want to pay Champ, he may be asking too much for the age that he is. I want him to retire a Bronco, but we can't have a Helton situation, where he's too old to do us any good, but still has 4 years on contract and $17Mil up shit creek.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-07-2010, 05:54 PM
:tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16279530?source=rss

Just as a contract extension with star cornerback Champ Bailey was drawing near, the Broncos decided to pull out of negotiations.

The move increases the possibility that Bailey is playing in his final season with the Broncos.

"I am disappointed because I want to be here," Bailey said. "We know that, they know that. What's the issue here, really?"

In the final season of a seven-year contract, Bailey, 32, can become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

The Broncos and Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, were close to hashing out a four-year contract extension that would have kept the nine-time Pro Bowler under the team's control through 2014.

Bailey said he wasn't crazy about the deal, but was willing to take it because he wants to stay in Denver.

But after submitting an offer to Bailey late last week, the Broncos said Tuesday they were postponing talks. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels talked to Bailey this week, telling him he still hopes a deal can be worked out later.

"We were scheduled for a discussion on the contract offer they had recently e-mailed me," Reale said. "Before we had a chance for discussion, I received a call saying they wanted to put it off and wait until the end of the season. That is certainly their option and while not pleased, since no player likes playing in the last year of his contract, we respect their right to pursue that approach.

"Champ will do what he always does. Play hard, give 100 percent, keep quiet and lead this team."

It's possible the Broncos could retain Bailey with the franchise tag next year but that salary figures to be in excess of $10 million.

The move is surprising because the Broncos signed restricted free agents Elvis Dumervil, Chris Kuper and Kyle Orton to contract extensions.

McDaniels declined comment on negotiations with Bailey.

"My mindset is I want to win," Bailey said. "That's my approach every year. I'm a competitive person and this is no different. I owe it to the guys in the locker room."

Lonestar
10-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I suspect that this is the last season for Champ simply because he is way over paid.

Once again I will crusade that NO player is worth that kind of money.

If he is willing to take about half that guaranteed and the rest on incentives OK BY me.

He is a great CB and would love to keep him and have him retire as a bronco but it sometimes just business.

His talking to the press or his agent that is will not help matters.

NE has shown that over paid CBs are not necessary to a defense to get things done.

Northman
10-07-2010, 05:56 PM
I dont think he is overpaid. Sometimes you just have to pay for high tier talent. But, he is getting older and i think we have some solid rookies who will fill in nicely should he not be here next year. It would be nice to send him off with a championship but thats how it goes.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-07-2010, 06:03 PM
From article I posted - none of us have any idea what Champ was offered:

"Bailey said he wasn't crazy about the deal, but was willing to take it because he wants to stay in Denver."

TimTebow15MVP
10-07-2010, 06:04 PM
This makes the most sense to me. I been said stop those contract talks with champ untill the season is over. Champ is a hall of fame player no doubt but towards the end of your career it doesnt help you on the field. champ has to prove he can dominate for a whole year before we give him another big time pay day. lord knows we have paid champ very well (wasnt mcdaniels) but bowlen has paid the man well, resigning champ bailey will depend on cox vaughn and quans developement over the year. if cox looks like the shut down corner i think he will be by years end then we wont resign champ. simple as that. we will tag and trade champ if possible. draft another corner and move on. The broncos need to confront champ with the idea of playing free safety. it would extend his career, hes become a super ball hawk again also. if champs not coming back as a safety im not stoked about him returning. i want cox and Peterson(LSU) in next years draft

Lonestar
10-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I dont think he is overpaid. Sometimes you just have to pay for high tier talent. But, he is getting older and i think we have some solid rookies who will fill in nicely should he not be here next year. It would be nice to send him off with a championship but thats how it goes.

9.5 mil is over paid IMO but we can agree to disagree.:salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
10-07-2010, 06:47 PM

That is what he is making this year, no one has any idea what the new contract offered:

Again, from the article I posted from the Denver Post:

"Bailey said he wasn't crazy about the deal, but was willing to take it because he wants to stay in Denver."

I would imagine from Champ's comments, the new contract was less money, but he was willing to take it.

Tned
10-07-2010, 07:04 PM

With Revis injured, the guy with the funny name in Oakland not being as dominant, Bailey is probably back to being number 1, and certainly top 3 or so CBs in Denver. He's still playing easily at top 5, if not top 3 or top CB level, so should be paid accordingly.

According to an article a couple months ago, his agent said that Bailey wants to be paid as a top CB in the early part of his contract, but since he expects to move to safety in a few years to extend his career, he's willing to take less in the backend years.

As to the reducted guarantee and more incentives, as we've talked about before, that's just not how it works in the NFL with elite talent.

BORDERLINE
10-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Pay the man...he is still giving us quality work on the field...this could wait till the end of the season but, we need to keep him

T.K.O.
10-07-2010, 07:22 PM
i thought he was scheduled to make about 13 mil this year ? how did that get to 9.5?
also his agent had said he was looking for a 4 year deal at about 10 mil a year...not that high if he could play 4 more years at the level he has been....but that might be a tall order when you think about a 36 year old cb against guys like andre johnson,brandon marshall etc...
champ is great but "that great ?' i dont know
i think it would a safe bet to sign him for 2 more years but 4 is pushing it unless there is a plan in place to move him to safety:salute:

broncogirl7
10-07-2010, 07:23 PM
This will be a mistake and sends a bad message to Bailey. It will be very bad on us if he doesn't retire a Bronco, but McD never ceases to amaze me.

T.K.O.
10-07-2010, 07:26 PM
This will be a mistake and sends a bad message to Bailey. It will be very bad on us if he doesn't retire a Bronco, but McD never ceases to amaze me.

i highly doubt mcD had much to do with any negotiations while prepping the team for baltimore this week:confused: and spending his first week with his new daughter

Buff
10-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Both sides are just angling. The agent wants to express unhappiness to put some pressure on the organization, the Broncos know there is no reason to rush anything when they can franchise him if they need to. Nothing to see here.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-07-2010, 07:41 PM

Again, from the Denver Post article I posted:

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels talked to Bailey this week, telling him he still hopes a deal can be worked out later.

Ravage!!!
10-07-2010, 07:43 PM
So they will wait to see is Champ pulls a hammy.

Teams can't continue to win without signing top talent. Thats just the way it is. You can try and try and try to win with medium players, but your chances just dwindle. Top talent means top pay. That just makes sense.

Right now Champ is easily a top 3 corner in the NFL. He deserves to be paid as such. He's even made it clear that he was willing to take less than he asked, to stay in Denver.

So the Broncos offered less than he wanted, he was willing to take it, but now the FO now wants to see if they can get him for less (they wouldn't wait if they feel they will have to pay more, later).

I hope this works out.

DenBronx
10-07-2010, 07:54 PM
So they will wait to see is Champ pulls a hammy.

Teams can't continue to win without signing top talent. Thats just the way it is. You can try and try and try to win with medium players, but your chances just dwindle. Top talent means top pay. That just makes sense.

Right now Champ is easily a top 3 corner in the NFL. He deserves to be paid as such. He's even made it clear that he was willing to take less than he asked, to stay in Denver.

So the Broncos offered less than he wanted, he was willing to take it, but now the FO now wants to see if they can get him for less (they wouldn't wait if they feel they will have to pay more, later).

I hope this works out.

I think the Broncos fears are injury concerns with Bailey at 33. But if Bailey plays at a high level this year he might just talk himself into more money at the end of the year regardless of what the Broncos offered now. Kind of a slap in the face though to offer the guy money, him accept a lower offer because he "loves it here" and then pull out of the deal because you are thinking you could get him for less later.

Could backfire on us. We could always use the franchise tag but if we do allow Bailey to test the market he might command big money in a place like Washington, reuniting back with Shanny or Dallas.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Personally, I think it sucks. Bailey has been nothing but a consummate pro and leader since he's been here. Sure, he's made a lot of money, but he didn't cry for a new deal when Asomugha got paid more, or when Clemens got paid more in SF, or when Revis got paid more, or when Samuels signed a monster deal with Philly... see my point.

The guy shut his mouth about money, supported the coach (no matter who it was), and went to the probowl EVERY YEAR except one (when he was injured) as a Bronco.

I'd hate to think how this front office would've treated John Elway or Rod Smith when they were nearing the end of their careers. Champ IS the Broncos franchise player right now and is still playing at an elite level.

Sometimes, you just have to do the right thing as an organization and take care of the guys who've taken care of you. If we don't, don't be surprised to see Champ lining up across from us next year wearing Silver and Black (PUKE!). Al Davis would love to have a talented, character guy like Champ to play alongside Asomugha and stick it to Denver twice a year. :tsk:

Northman
10-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Personally, I think it sucks. Bailey has been nothing but a consummate pro and leader since he's been here. Sure, he's made a lot of money, but he didn't cry for a new deal when Asomugha got paid more, or when Clemens got paid more in SF, or when Revis got paid more, or when Samuels signed a monster deal with Philly... see my point.

The guy shut his mouth about money, supported the coach (no matter who it was), and went to the probowl EVERY YEAR except one (when he was injured) as a Bronco.

I'd hate to think how this front office would've treated John Elway or Rod Smith when they were nearing the end of their careers. Champ IS the Broncos franchise player right now and is still playing at an elite level.

Sometimes, you just have to do the right thing as an organization and take care of the guys who've taken care of you. If we don't, don't be surprised to see Champ lining up across from us next year wearing Silver and Black (PUKE!). Al Davis would love to have a talented, character guy like Champ to play alongside Asomugha and stick it to Denver twice a year. :tsk:

Had Doom not gotten resigned i probably would of agreed with you. But, they did end up getting a deal done even though at the time it looked a bit bleak. I think it will be ok with Bailey honestly.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
10-07-2010, 08:46 PM
It will be tough for me to take if Champ isn't retained.... he deserves to retire a Bronco without a doubt.

Northman
10-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Anyone remember Atwater? He left and still retired as a Bronco so even if Champ leaves i think he ultimately retires as one.

Ravage!!!
10-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I think the Broncos fears are injury concerns with Bailey at 33. But if Bailey plays at a high level this year he might just talk himself into more money at the end of the year regardless of what the Broncos offered now. Kind of a slap in the face though to offer the guy money, him accept a lower offer because he "loves it here" and then pull out of the deal because you are thinking you could get him for less later.

Could backfire on us. We could always use the franchise tag but if we do allow Bailey to test the market he might command big money in a place like Washington, reuniting back with Shanny or Dallas.

If/when Champ plays at a high level this year, and we haven't resigned him.... I personally would be surprised to see Champ sign in Denver.

Champ knows how it is. They pulled the deal, so that they limit their liability in case of injury. So if he's injured, they don't sign him, but if he stays healthy they may want to pick up negotiations. I'm not sure that would sit well with ANY player/person.

I feel, that if we don't resign him before the end of the year, the only option to keep Champ is to franchise tag him (and that will pay him around 10 plus for the one year), because Champ won't sign. That wouldn't look good for the team, certainly not in the locker room, and I don't think for a moment McD pays 10 million.

Players understand the business as much as anyone, but its why we don't simply see players willing to sign for 'less' to stay with an organization.

If this was a player, people would say that he wasn't being a TEAM player. But if its a FO, they are being financially wise.

Ravage!!!
10-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Anyone remember Atwater? He left and still retired as a Bronco so even if Champ leaves i think he ultimately retires as one.

I'm not sure. Atwater was always a Bronco. Champ wasn't always a Bronco.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Had Doom not gotten resigned i probably would of agreed with you. But, they did end up getting a deal done even though at the time it looked a bit bleak. I think it will be ok with Bailey honestly.

That's probably because (and it's rearing it ugly head so far this year) the FO realized there's nobody else on the roster that can rush the passer like Dumervil so there was no "younger, cheaper alternative". Not when any other team in the league would've paid him the same amount.

I still don't think there is another CB on the roster that even comes close to Champ. Cox doesn't have the deep speed and nobody tackles as well. Even after losing a step, Champ still covers the deep ball better than anyone else. The only other CB that even comes close to his speed is Vaughn (who's probably faster), but who definitely isn't the cover man Champ is.

Northman
10-07-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure. Atwater was always a Bronco. Champ wasn't always a Bronco.

Yea, but i think spent most of his time in Denver.

Shazam!
10-07-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm torn on this honestly. I love Champ.

Half of me says they need him because he's still a top-flight CB which is rare.

The other half of me says he's going to be 33 and banged up a lot the past few Seasons.

Lonestar
10-07-2010, 09:11 PM
With Revis injured, the guy with the funny name in Oakland not being as dominant, Bailey is probably back to being number 1, and certainly top 3 or so CBs in Denver. He's still playing easily at top 5, if not top 3 or top CB level, so should be paid accordingly.

According to an article a couple months ago, his agent said that Bailey wants to be paid as a top CB in the early part of his contract, but since he expects to move to safety in a few years to extend his career, he's willing to take less in the backend years.

As to the reducted guarantee and more incentives, as we've talked about before, that's just not how it works in the NFL with elite talent.

then he walks because I would be really surprised to see them offer him a biggie contract this late in his career.

It is a business thingy and if he wants or believes he is the #1 guy then he would not mind taking the incentive deal.

It is not like he is not a multimillionaire at this point.

The NE model does not anywhere show HUGE money for special CB's they design the front seven to allow for weaker CB's with special play form the FS to take up the slack.

Just how I see it. not saying your wrong but suspending the talks till JAN is not a good sign IMO.

Tned
10-07-2010, 09:16 PM
then he walks because I would be really surprised to see them offer him a biggie contract this late in his career.

It is a business thingy and if he wants or believes he is the #1 guy then he would not mind taking the incentive deal.

It is not like he is not a multimillionaire at this point.

The NE model does not anywhere show HUGE money for special CB's they design the front seven to allow for weaker CB's with special play form the FS to take up the slack.

Just how I see it. not saying your wrong but suspending the talks till JAN is not a good sign IMO.

I understand your position. I don't agree with it like with Dumervil, but I understand where you are coming from. All I can say is that I hope, like with Doom, that you are surprised/dissapointed when the Broncos shell out big bucks for Bailey. Like with Doom bring sacks and QB pressure to Denver for the first time in a VERY long time, Bailey has brought and still brings, shutdown corner play. Considering how bad our corner play was before he got here, I'm hoping McDaniels doesn't roll the dice on Cox and Vaughn.

Lonestar
10-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I understand your position. I don't agree with it like with Dumervil, but I understand where you are coming from. All I can say is that I hope, like with Doom, that you are surprised/dissapointed when the Broncos shell out big bucks for Bailey. Like with Doom bring sacks and QB pressure to Denver for the first time in a VERY long time, Bailey has brought and still brings, shutdown corner play. Considering how bad our corner play was before he got here, I'm hoping McDaniels doesn't roll the dice on Cox and Vaughn.

you now know why they brought smith in a year early. to get him ready to replace goodman or Champ.

that did not work so now they have two more kids on the shelf in case champ bails.

It is how they do it in NE, they cut loose Law and another pro bowler when they wanted big bucks. Yet until seymor they did not handle their DL or LB that way till they were worn out. I'll take that back there was one DT they allowed to go FA the year after seymor came to town forget his name.

But the NE model says you draft to anticipate retiring or short contract folks before they go. see how they play and then you can hard ball the negotiations.

Josh learned well in NE. Next year we will get a couple of NT to take care of Williams retirement they replace a year or two before they are needed.

Always have spares on the shelve.

Tned
10-07-2010, 09:55 PM
you now know why they brought smith in a year early. to get him ready to replace goodman or Champ.

that did not work so now they have two more kids on the shelf in case champ bails.

It is how they do it in NE, they cut loose Law and another pro bowler when they wanted big bucks. Yet until seymor they did not handle their DL or LB that way till they were worn out. I'll take that back there was one DT they allowed to go FA the year after seymor came to town forget his name.

But the NE model says you draft to anticipate retiring or short contract folks before they go. see how they play and then you can hard ball the negotiations.

Josh learned well in NE. Next year we will get a couple of NT to take care of Williams retirement they replace a year or two before they are needed.

Always have spares on the shelve.

I have no problem with that philosiphy of bringing in young guys to replace people, I just disagree with you on how easy it would be to replace Champ. I felt the same way about Doom. I felt the same way about Marshall. Elite talent is hard to come by. I think they may have found a replacement in DT, but that doesn't mean they have the next champ on the bench.

I'm very excited about Cox, but I would much rather see him replace Goodman (who I think is a FA next year, since I thought he signed a two year deal, but that is purely going by memory) and play across from Champ for a few years. Champ and Cox on the field together could be a great combo.

Ravage!!!
10-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Especially NTs. Nearly every other team in the NFL is looking for top NTs. Good NTs are one of the hardest positions to find. Thats why Belicheck, himself, paid BIG bucks to keep the one they have.... even after that NT went to the media and expressed how he was feeling disrespected by the Patriots for how they were treating his contract.

Lonestar
10-07-2010, 10:12 PM
I have no problem with that philosiphy of bringing in young guys to replace people, I just disagree with you on how easy it would be to replace Champ. I felt the same way about Doom. I felt the same way about Marshall. Elite talent is hard to come by. I think they may have found a replacement in DT, but that doesn't mean they have the next champ on the bench.

I'm very excited about Cox, but I would much rather see him replace Goodman (who I think is a FA next year, since I thought he signed a two year deal, but that is purely going by memory) and play across from Champ for a few years. Champ and Cox on the field together could be a great combo.

Well that is the issue NE got rid of Ty Law and his fellow pro bowl Cb and they did not skip a beat.

I'm not saying that is what I want but the NE model that Pat wanted in DEN.

it will not shock me IF Champ is either a FA or if he is held involuntarily depending on how things go with the rookies.

PAINTERDAVE
10-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Random thoughts...

Denver has been SPOILED by Champs incredible play. We have forgotten how bad it can be. Our secondary has been stellar for a long time because of his profesionalism and athleticism. He understands the game like nobody else.
He is a teacher. He has eleveated our secondary to one of the best in the league.

The FO is scared because of signing DOOM,,, then he goes and gets injured...paying him big bucks to sit out a season. They got cold feet. A bunch of accountants. It aint all on McD. It's Bowlen and the business suits.

Davii
10-07-2010, 11:44 PM
I don't understand this move at all.

Bosco
10-07-2010, 11:58 PM

Exactly.

I really hope we can avoid all the fan drama this time around.

Shazam!
10-08-2010, 12:04 AM
I cannot blame Denver's FO for having trepidations.

With how terrible Denver's defense has been, having a few rock solid guys cant hurt. Just gotta hope he stays healthy.

I guess paying the man is the best thing.

Elevation inc
10-08-2010, 03:00 AM
man people freaked quick here.......it will be okay, MCd has already proven he will pay talent on this team that want to be here(doom), he just does it on his time, not when the players agent wants it done.

Champ will get paid here, he has been one of the top corners this year and last, MCd knows this.

Still a long ways away before needing to freak out.....

broncophan
10-08-2010, 05:33 AM
I like Champ....but I wonder if his trade value would be a better deal for the broncos.......rather than paying him big bucks at his age.

nevcraw
10-08-2010, 08:12 AM
I understand the business side of this but...

why pull out after completing majority of it? Why did the FO even get started? This does nothing but create unneeded mid season tension in the locker room and shows the FO is still pretty green..

camdisco24
10-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Champ is still huge for us.
I hope we can put something together for him, even if it has to wait til the offseason.
The guy basically set the tone for the Seattle game, and he comes through for us all the time, and he's a great teacher for the young guys. I want him to retire a Bronco and I hope we make the right decision.

jhildebrand
10-08-2010, 11:25 AM
It is how they do it in NE

Right now that model especially with respect to the DB's in NE isn't working too well. Since Asante their DB's have been their achilles heel.

jhildebrand
10-08-2010, 11:29 AM
If/when Champ plays at a high level this year, and we haven't resigned him.... I personally would be surprised to see Champ sign in Denver.

Champ knows how it is. They pulled the deal, so that they limit their liability in case of injury. So if he's injured, they don't sign him, but if he stays healthy they may want to pick up negotiations. I'm not sure that would sit well with ANY player/person.

I feel, that if we don't resign him before the end of the year, the only option to keep Champ is to franchise tag him (and that will pay him around 10 plus for the one year), because Champ won't sign. That wouldn't look good for the team, certainly not in the locker room, and I don't think for a moment McD pays 10 million.

Players understand the business as much as anyone, but its why we don't simply see players willing to sign for 'less' to stay with an organization.

If this was a player, people would say that he wasn't being a TEAM player. But if its a FO, they are being financially wise.

Well if that is the case then there is a clear path to the NY Jets for him. Jason Taylor happened much the same, Ladanian Tomlinson much the same. I am sure Rex would lick his chops to have Revis and Champ. Could you imagine that? :eek: WOW! That would be scary.

We all know NY would have NO problem throwing an armored truck or two worth at Bailey.

This is definitely a gamble on the Broncos part.

Ravage!!!
10-08-2010, 03:29 PM
man people freaked quick here.......it will be okay, MCd has already proven he will pay talent on this team that want to be here(doom), he just does it on his time, not when the players agent wants it done.

or the player. I see what you mean, but you have to realize that the FO is waiting to see if Champ stays healthy, and Champ knows it. He understands that part of the business. But that doesn't make it easier to swallow when you've already agreed to lesser money, that the BRONCOS originally offered. Not like Champ turned their offer down, or was pushing to get a deal done. The Broncos made the offer, then pulled it. So it seems to me, that it WAS on McD's time-table.

I don't see Champ waiting around, taking the risk, and then agreeing to a "cheaper deal" again. I don't think anyone would.

Broncos Mtnman
10-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Calm down guys....

Mickey says he wants him here. And as his history has shown, we can fully trust him when it comes to personnel decisions.

:coffee:

NightTrainLayne
10-08-2010, 04:38 PM
It seems like with these issues folks around here only want to look at something from one angle.

If you look at this from both sides and take BOTH sides intents, and risks and rewards into account it makes more sense.

Champ is worried what his next contract will look like, and if it will be with the Broncos or not. He has a lot of uncertainty. All things being equal, Champ wants more money guaranteed sooner (right now).

The Broncos are worried about how much of a bite he will take out of their coffers and salary cap, and how much he has left in the tank from both a physical stand-point and injury-wise. All things being equal, the Broncos would rather commit to something later so that they avoid some injury risk, and of course less money is always better than more.

So, they have talks.

As a result the Broncos present an offer. (Apparently a close to fair offer because Champ's camp has basically said that they would have taken it).

I am guessing that since it would put the Broncos on the hook sooner rather than later that they probably held back a little bit in how much guaranteed money was included. They'd rather see how he fares for this whole season.

Champ wasn't so excited that he just jumped right on it for this reason, but it hit close to home.

The Broncos see that they have accomplished what they wanted to. They have communicated to Champ what they would like to do, and set an expection for him of what they are willing to do. When he didn't jump right on a somewhat discounted offer, they went ahead and removed it from the table, but both sides are better off from the experience.

Champ knows that the Broncos #1 want to re-sign him, and #2 the range has been narrowed, and he has a good idea of what he can plan on going forward. He'd rather wait for a somewhat bigger deal after this season, but he knows that the Broncos aren't going to just stiff him.

The Broncos know that they have narrowed the negotiating range, and also put a carrot out there for Champ to continue at a high level of play this entire season, while reducing their risk of putting another big salary on the books at risk of injury ala Dumervil.

Both sides get something, both sides give up something. If Champ really wanted the deal he could have jumped right on it.

jhildebrand
10-08-2010, 04:41 PM
It probably doesnt make sense to handle this during the season anyway.

Ravage!!!
10-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Both sides get something, both sides give up something. If Champ really wanted the deal he could have jumped right on it.

I see and understand everything you are saying, but didn't the article state that the Broncos made the offer, Champ didn't feel it was as high as he wanted, but accepted... then before it was signed the Broncos pulled out. Thus why we hear the "I don't see what the problem is" quote from Champ.

How quickly should Champ have "jumped" on it? I don't know. This might seem like fair tactics from your perspective, and you certainly made a logical point. But it seems that if you are talking about resigning a player, and you really want to resign him... then pulling the offer of which you just made seems to send a message to the player. You might receive a different message than I do, or Champ, and Champ may be getting a different message then both of us.

But I think most people (meaning those that were offered a deal and then had it pulled away after you agreed to their offer) would view that as something that doesn't sit well. Its one thing to say "hey, Champ, go find what other teams will offer you..find the value, and we'll work out a deal from there to keep you in Denver" to "this is what we will offer..... but we are pulling it away to see if you stay healthy this season. But at least we know you are willing to sign this deal."

Now I'll be honest. I never expected the FO to resign Champ to begin with. I have said that over the last two years. He's older, and will play for a heavy contract.... and McD tries to follow Belicheck as much as possible. I just didn't see this happening. But I do question the "pulling of the contract" after Champ had agreed to sign it. That is the part, from my perspective, that leaves a weird taste in my mouth.

NightTrainLayne
10-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I see and understand everything you are saying, but didn't the article state that the Broncos made the offer, Champ didn't feel it was as high as he wanted, but accepted... then before it was signed the Broncos pulled out. Thus why we hear the "I don't see what the problem is" quote from Champ.

How quickly should Champ have "jumped" on it? .

I think you are reading too much into what that article said.

Here's the quote from Champ's agent:

But after submitting an offer to Bailey late last week, the Broncos said Tuesday they were postponing talks. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels talked to Bailey this week, telling him he still hopes a deal can be worked out later.

"We were scheduled for a discussion on the contract offer they had recently e-mailed me," Reale said. "Before we had a chance for discussion, I received a call saying they wanted to put it off and wait until the end of the season.

Two things.

1. The agent says that they were scheduled for a discussion on the contract offer e-mailed. That doesn't sound like anything ready to actually put a signature on.

2. Even if it was, regarding your next question, "How quickly should Champ have jumped on it?". .. .well, if it was e-mailed "late last week", and then talks were post-poned on Tuesday, I would say that he should have jumped on it within that 3-4 day period.

Certainly, I don't get the feeling that the team ripped the contract out of Champ's hand just before he put the pen to it.

Negotiations were still ongoing, and perhaps Champ let a little too much out of the bag letting the team know that he would have signed it.

nevcraw
10-08-2010, 08:08 PM
It seems like with these issues folks around here only want to look at something from one angle.

If you look at this from both sides and take BOTH sides intents, and risks and rewards into account it makes more sense.

Champ is worried what his next contract will look like, and if it will be with the Broncos or not. He has a lot of uncertainty. All things being equal, Champ wants more money guaranteed sooner (right now).

The Broncos are worried about how much of a bite he will take out of their coffers and salary cap, and how much he has left in the tank from both a physical stand-point and injury-wise. All things being equal, the Broncos would rather commit to something later so that they avoid some injury risk, and of course less money is always better than more.

So, they have talks.

As a result the Broncos present an offer. (Apparently a close to fair offer because Champ's camp has basically said that they would have taken it).

I am guessing that since it would put the Broncos on the hook sooner rather than later that they probably held back a little bit in how much guaranteed money was included. They'd rather see how he fares for this whole season.

Champ wasn't so excited that he just jumped right on it for this reason, but it hit close to home.

The Broncos see that they have accomplished what they wanted to. They have communicated to Champ what they would like to do, and set an expection for him of what they are willing to do. When he didn't jump right on a somewhat discounted offer, they went ahead and removed it from the table, but both sides are better off from the experience.

Champ knows that the Broncos #1 want to re-sign him, and #2 the range has been narrowed, and he has a good idea of what he can plan on going forward. He'd rather wait for a somewhat bigger deal after this season, but he knows that the Broncos aren't going to just stiff him.

The Broncos know that they have narrowed the negotiating range, and also put a carrot out there for Champ to continue at a high level of play this entire season, while reducing their risk of putting another big salary on the books at risk of injury ala Dumervil.

It's much simpler that that...

In good faith both sides begin negotiations ---

Afters some back and forth the broncos make and offer and before said offer can be accepted or discussed the broncos pull offer off the table saying they want to wait til the offseason.

Now once again, this FO has egg on it's face when all of it could have been avoided by not taking up the negotiations during the season in the first place..

jhildebrand
10-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I am pretty sure I heard Al and Schlereth today with Brandon K who interviewed Champ and it was clear: Champ and his agent informed the Broncos they intended to sign the deal the Broncos presented. It was pulled from the table and without explanation.

If that is the case, and there is no reason to believe Champ is misrepresenting the situation, than I would be a bit concerned.

KCL
10-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Not sure if this has been posted..from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b2abd7/article/mcdaniels-explains-broncos-stance-on-bailey-contract-talks

McDaniels explains Broncos' stance on Bailey contract talks

Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Friday that timing, not unwillingness to work out a contract, was the reason the team decided to delay discussions with Champ Bailey until after the season.

"We're not going to talk about the contract and all that stuff in general, but we want Champ Bailey to be here. We want him to finish his career here," McDaniels said. "There's a lot of little things that go into these things. These things take time to get right, and sometimes the timing of it doesn't match with the player's desire or our desire, but ultimately when they get worked out, everybody's content and happy.

Bailey, a nine-time Pro Bowl cornerback, and his agent, Jack Reale, certainly weren't content and happy Thursday, when they told The Denver Post that they were surprised and disappointed by the halted talks.

Reale and the Broncos were close to hashing out a four-year extension that would have kept Bailey in Denver through 2014 before the team decided to pull the offer off the table this week and broke off negotiations.

"I thought we found a way to make it work, but apparently I was wrong," Bailey told The Associated Press on Friday. "My thing is my optimism is slowly fading away about staying here."

McDaniels suggested that Broncos general manager Brian Xanders' negotiations with Reale were complicated and just needed more time.

"If there's something that can happen sooner rather than later, then that's what we'll want to do," McDaniels said. "I love the guy. He's been great for me, professionally, personally. He's great for our locker room, and nobody here wants him to leave, and there's a lot of things that go into these things and factor into timing.

"Brian's handled a lot of these things great through the course of the offseason. I expect that to be the case with this. It might take a little while."

Xanders negotiated extensions for restricted free agents Elvis Dumervil, Chris Kuper and Kyle Orton during the offseason. The GM had been working on an extension for Bailey, who is entering the final season of a seven-year deal, for some time before suddenly reversing course.

The Broncos could retain Bailey with the franchise tag next season, but that likely would cost them about $10 million for one season.

Bailey, 32, said the Broncos' decision to postpone talks after submitting a proposal last week makes him wonder if he'll soon play somewhere else. He also suggested on his weekly show on KXDP-FM this week that, given the stalled status of his contract talks, he wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos traded him by the Oct. 19 deadline.

"There's so many people just changing teams. I just think anything can happen at any time," Bailey said. "So I'm telling you: If you're a guy in your last year or you want a new contract or you're a free agent, you might go somewhere else. Do I really need to spell it out for you?"

Bailey said he wouldn't request a trade.

"I'm just saying (a trade is) always a possibility," he said, pointing out the New England Patriots' trade of Randy Moss back to the Minnesota Vikings this week. "It wouldn't surprise me. Things like that wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not saying that we're going to ask for a trade or anything. I love being here. So I wouldn't do that."

Bailey said he believes he's playing as well as he ever has after overcoming a string of injuries in recent years.

"I've battled some pretty major injuries and, fortunately, I've gotten myself healthy enough to play again and play at a high level and, you know, that's all I can do. I really can't lose sleep over what's going on right now," Bailey said on his show. "I'm still auditioning for 31 other teams, so my play with speak for itself and ... the money will come when it needs to."

Whatever happens, Bailey said he won't let the snag in contract talks affect his performance on the field.

"It won't get in the way of my playing," he insisted. "It's not going to be a distraction whatsoever."

Slick
10-09-2010, 07:58 AM
He is still the best player on this football team. We'd be dumb not to get something done.

rcsodak
10-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Much ado about nothing.

Must be a slow week for news.

LTC Pain
10-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Much ado about nothing.

Must be a slow week for news.

Word. And frankly, a new contract for Champ is not the priority right now. We are still at DEFCON 1 folks.

jhildebrand
10-09-2010, 04:44 PM
So mistreating your best athlete and player is much ado about nothing? :confused:

Opening contract talks mid season just to yank an offer the player said he would accept is much ado about nothing? :confused:

Especially after preaching things like "do your job" and team and all the other stuff that Champ represents? :confused:

Sorry, but calling it much ado about nothing is simply too naieve for me.

jhildebrand
10-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Word. And frankly, a new contract for Champ is not the priority right now. We are still at DEFCON 1 folks.

Makes me wonder why the team made it a priority, publicized it, and then balked.

KCL
10-09-2010, 05:01 PM
So mistreating your best athlete and player is much ado about nothing? :confused:

Opening contract talks mid season just to yank an offer the player said he would accept is much ado about nothing? :confused:

Especially after preaching things like "do your job" and team and all the other stuff that Champ represents? :confused:

Sorry, but calling it much ado about nothing is simply too naieve for me.
I thought the same thing after reading rc's post esp after what was said by Champ..the part I underlined is what stands out in all of this.Says plenty about his feelings on the matter and doubt he feels it is much ado about nothing.

jhildebrand
10-09-2010, 05:08 PM
I thought the same thing after reading rc's post esp after what was said by Champ..the part I underlined is what stands out in all of this.Says plenty about his feelings on the matter and doubt he feels it is much ado about nothing.

At the least they jerked their best player/athlete around. They jerked around the one guy who epitomizes all the crap they preach: team first, integrity, do your job, etc...

I wouldn't have a problem with the team waiting to work his deal in the offseason as was the original indication.

I wouldn't have a problem had they re-done the deal in season.

I have a problem with the continued "do as I say not as I do" approach of McDaniels. I just wish he and the rest of the FO would operate with equal integrity. My problems with McD has always been how he handles situations not X's and O's. It just reinforces the fact this team needs a true GM when hiring a true rookie young 30 something coach.

At the end of the day, it is poor form to make such a big deal about redoing Champ's deal, the team being the one's to release the info that they were, and then BALK.

Calling it much ado about nothing is silly, too. You don't think this isn't noticed in the lockerroom? You don't think other guys are wondering how the team will treat them if they treat Champ this way? You don't think potential FA's don't notice this? PLEASE!!!!

Bosco
10-09-2010, 06:11 PM
I see those calls for rational and calm posts have done alot of good.

nevcraw
10-09-2010, 06:33 PM

How do you correlate disagreement to being irrational and not calm?

I see a thread full of calm and very rational posts.. you must be highly sensative to healthy tension.

Bosco
10-09-2010, 06:47 PM
How do you correlate disagreement to being irrational and not calm?

I see a thread full of calm and very rational posts.. you must be highly sensative to healthy tension.

That was directed at JHildebrand.

KCL
10-09-2010, 06:57 PM

IMO It's post like this that get people going.Nothing wrong with disagreeing with another persons opinion but the thread could have done w/o this...again JMO.

No need to try to take the thread in a different direction and that is all I will say about your post.

I think the thread is an interesting one and I am curious to see how things turn out concerning this matter.

Lonestar
10-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Random thoughts...

Denver has been SPOILED by Champs incredible play. We have forgotten how bad it can be. Our secondary has been stellar for a long time because of his profesionalism and athleticism. He understands the game like nobody else.
He is a teacher. He has eleveated our secondary to one of the best in the league.

The FO is scared because of signing DOOM,,, then he goes and gets injured...paying him big bucks to sit out a season. They got cold feet. A bunch of accountants. It aint all on McD. It's Bowlen and the business suits.

But before Champ came to town our DL sucked also.

So he was brought in the fix the issues only to find out having an all pro CB did not fix the passing game on defense.

TimTebow15MVP
10-10-2010, 06:39 AM
At the least they jerked their best player/athlete around. They jerked around the one guy who epitomizes all the crap they preach: team first, integrity, do your job, etc...

I wouldn't have a problem with the team waiting to work his deal in the offseason as was the original indication.

I wouldn't have a problem had they re-done the deal in season.

I have a problem with the continued "do as I say not as I do" approach of McDaniels. I just wish he and the rest of the FO would operate with equal integrity. My problems with McD has always been how he handles situations not X's and O's. It just reinforces the fact this team needs a true GM when hiring a true rookie young 30 something coach.

At the end of the day, it is poor form to make such a big deal about redoing Champ's deal, the team being the one's to release the info that they were, and then BALK.

Calling it much ado about nothing is silly, too. You don't think this isn't noticed in the lockerroom? You don't think other guys are wondering how the team will treat them if they treat Champ this way? You don't think potential FA's don't notice this? PLEASE!!!!

i think they look at the deals kuper and dooms got around the locker room. if your 30 n up and lost a step then your looking around wondering if the broncos are gonna extend you. but isnt that normal? The team was talking a deal. thought about it and decided the smart thing to do would be to wait it out and see the type of year champ has before committing to another long term deal for a player that refuses to switch to safety even though hes losing a step. i can see a seymour type of deal going down. champs going for a first round pick.

rcsodak
10-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Exactly. They showed they want him (dangled the carrot), and now it's up to him to continue to show he's worth his top5 pay.and all this talk about tags is assuming a CBA will even have them.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

RedFalcon
10-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Exactly. They showed they want him (dangled the carrot), and now it's up to him to continue to show he's worth his top5 pay.and all this talk about tags is assuming a CBA will even have them.

Yeah, but I understand that the team offered Champ a contract that he didn't liked but was willing to sign just to remain a Bronco.
Now, this looks kinda suspicious. After all, Champ looks like he wants to be a Bronco. Why not sign the guy, when he shows signs that he would settle for a lesser contract? And he still is a top 5 cornerback.
I still hope we will have Champ playing for us until his retirement.

rcsodak
10-10-2010, 07:23 AM
waaa. MccD said he talked to cb afterwards and said timing was wrong but they still want him. CB says it won't effect his performance. MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.
So far, McD prolly feels snake bit. New contract for doom-OUT. Kuper-injured.
Some HC's NEVER talk contracts during the year...maybe for a good reason.

rcsodak
10-10-2010, 07:31 AM
"YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!' LOL

rcsodak
10-10-2010, 07:35 AM
IMO It's post like this that get people going.Nothing wrong with disagreeing with another persons opinion but the thread could have done w/o this...again JMO.

No need to try to take the thread in a different direction and that is all I will say about your post.

I think the thread is an interesting one and I am curious to see how things turn out concerning this matter.
oh....well, in THAT case...... :rolleyes:

:D

KCL
10-10-2010, 09:46 AM
waaa. MccD said he talked to cb afterwards and said timing was wrong but they still want him. CB says it won't effect his performance. MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.
So far, McD prolly feels snake bit. New contract for doom-OUT. Kuper-injured.
Some HC's NEVER talk contracts during the year...maybe for a good reason.

No he said it wouldn't effect his performance because he is still auditioning for 31 other teams...he's a professional not some immature idiot.

rcsodak
10-10-2010, 10:22 AM
No he said it wouldn't effect his performance because he is still auditioning for 31 other teams...he's a professional not some immature idiot.
You're right. McD got rid of them.
There is nothing wrong wiith taking a wait n see attitude. CB says he wants to stay. McD wants him to stay. Bored 'writers' have had their say.
They've written 3 contracts this year (not incl. Rooks), and they STILL have no idea af next year's cap. They ALSO might want to see how this year's going tp play out.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they do this on their bye week, either.

KCL
10-10-2010, 10:55 AM
You're right. McD got rid of them.
There is nothing wrong wiith taking a wait n see attitude. CB says he wants to stay. McD wants him to stay. Bored 'writers' have had their say.
They've written 3 contracts this year (not incl. Rooks), and they STILL have no idea af next year's cap. They ALSO might want to see how this year's going tp play out.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they do this on their bye week, either.

Of course I'm right...I've always been right...you know that! :listen:

So you're calling Hillis an immature idiot?

Bored writers? Well what I posted did come from the official site of the NFL..Just quoting what Champ himself said...:coffee:

Makes no diff to me if he stays or goes..there are several other teams that would want him...hmmm..maybe be reunited with Shanny and back to the skins...now there's a thought!!!!

T.K.O.
10-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Of course I'm right...I've always been right...you know that! :listen:

So you're calling Hillis an immature idiot?

Bored writers? Well what I posted did come from the official site of the NFL..Just quoting what Champ himself said...:coffee:

Makes no diff to me if he stays or goes..there are several other teams that would want him...hmmm..maybe be reunited with Shanny and back to the skins...now there's a thought!!!!

a dirty ,nasty and horrible thought ....but yes, a thought:laugh:

KCL
10-10-2010, 11:02 AM
a dirty ,nasty and horrible thought ....but yes, a thought:laugh:

hey it could happen...;)

Lonestar
10-10-2010, 11:02 AM
. You don't think this isn't noticed in the lockerroom? You don't think other guys are wondering how the team will treat them if they treat Champ this way? You don't think potential FA's don't notice this? PLEASE!!!!

IIRC this was the rally call before kuper, doom and orton.
I suspect that the "lockeroom" has already figured it out that deals get done just fine without all the hand wringing from the media and fan forums.

nevcraw
10-10-2010, 11:11 AM

If they wanted to see how he is playing first they would not have started negotiations and gotten mostly through them.. and seriously - if Champ is being jerked around in anyway he will leave, which may happen now anyway because he will become a UFA.
Clearly to me now and after reading the article in the post this morning this beyond Champ and Josh and X. This is about not guaranteeing any more $$$ when they is more than likely a work stopage on the horizon.

jhildebrand
10-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Apparently Bob Kraft feels differently tha Bowlen allegedly does.

CHICAGO -- New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft says it's a realistic goal to reach a new collective bargaining agreement with the players before the end of the season.

At the conclusion of the NFL owners' fall meetings Tuesday, Kraft said "we're moving ahead" and he'd "like to see this get done before the season ends." Asked if that was a realistic objective, he added "to me it is."

Indianapolis Colts owner Jimmy Irsay said it's not "doomsday," even though negotiations have gone slowly with the union.

The owners discussed strategies for CBA negotiations, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said "our issue is to get there sooner rather than later."

The CBA expires in March and union leaders believe the NFL is prepared to lock out the players without a new agreement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5679027