PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Preseason Coaches' Poll

MOtorboat
08-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I was wrong...how about Aug. 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3514501

Georgia is preseason No. 1 ahead of USC in coaches' poll

ESPN.com news services

Georgia was widely considered the hottest team in college football at the end of the 2007 season.

A panel of Division I-A coaches remembered, voting the Bulldogs the preseason No. 1 in the USA Today Top 25 coaches' poll, released Friday.

Georgia garnered 22 first-place votes in the poll, with No. 2 USC and No. 3 Ohio State each receiving 14 first-place votes. Oklahoma, with three first-place votes, and Florida, with five first-place votes and returning Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow, were fourth and fifth, respectively.

Georgia finished No. 2 in the final Associated Press writers' poll and No. 3 in the final coaches' poll last season.

The Bulldogs and Gators, SEC East and regional rivals, meet Nov. 1 at a neutral site in Jacksonville, Fla., while Ohio State and USC meet Sept. 13 in Los Angeles.

Georgia's schedule also includes visits to No. 16 Arizona State on Sept. 20; defending BCS champion No. 6 LSU; No. 11 Auburn; and South Carolina.

LSU, Missouri, West Virginia, Clemson and Texas rounded out the top 10, giving the SEC and Big 12 three teams each in the first 10 poll positions.

Auburn was ranked 11th, followed by Wisconsin, Kansas, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, Arizona State, BYU, Tennessee, Illinois and Oregon.

South Florida, Penn State, Wake Forest, Michigan and Fresno State rounded out the top 25.

The SEC, Big 12 and Big Ten each had five teams represented in the poll. BYU of the Mountain West was the highest-ranked team from a non-BCS conference.

The AP preseason Top 25 poll is scheduled to be released Aug. 16.

The full poll. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings?pollId=2&seasonYear=2008)

Rex
08-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Is Chase Daniel up to 275 yet?

MOtorboat
08-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Is Chase Daniel up to 275 yet?

I don't know I haven't seen him...

MOtorboat
08-01-2008, 11:55 AM
:woot: Colorado got a vote...

Others Receiving Votes
Alabama 83, South Carolina 64, Utah 60, Rutgers 53, Florida State 53, Boston College 47, California 41, Pittsburgh 34, Boise State 25, Oregon State 23, Nebraska 17, Cincinnati 13, Virginia 12, Connecticut 9, Michigan State 9, Mississippi State 6, Kentucky 5, Notre Dame 5, TCU 5, Maryland 4, Texas A&M 3, UCLA 3, North Carolina 3, Louisville 2, Georgia Tech 2, UCF 2, Tulsa 1, Oklahoma State 1, Arizona 1, Colorado 1.

NightTrainLayne
08-01-2008, 11:56 AM
When's the last time Mizzou was a pre-season top ten?

MOtorboat
08-01-2008, 11:57 AM

The 60s.

NightTrainLayne
08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
The 60s.

Pretty tall cotton there for them.

I'm glad. The Big 12 needs the North to step up and be strong too.

Good luck to your Buffaloes.

MOtorboat
08-01-2008, 12:00 PM

Highest in school history. They were No. 10 in 1969. And that's it.

ChampWJ
08-01-2008, 04:03 PM
# 1 baby!!! So pumped my team finally is getting some respect. I know it doesn't ensure success, but man is it nice! Eyes on the prize.

http://at3113.k12.sd.us/2007120517.jpg

MOtorboat
08-01-2008, 04:07 PM
# 1 baby!!! So pumped my team finally is getting some respect. I know it doesn't ensure success, but man is it nice! Eyes on the prize.

You do realize that this means they are probably not going to win the Championship, right. :coffee:

Slick
08-01-2008, 04:36 PM
:woot: Colorado got a vote...

Others Receiving Votes
Alabama 83, South Carolina 64, Utah 60, Rutgers 53, Florida State 53, Boston College 47, California 41, Pittsburgh 34, Boise State 25, Oregon State 23, Nebraska 17, Cincinnati 13, Virginia 12, Connecticut 9, Michigan State 9, Mississippi State 6, Kentucky 5, Notre Dame 5, TCU 5, Maryland 4, Texas A&M 3, UCLA 3, North Carolina 3, Louisville 2, Georgia Tech 2, UCF 2, Tulsa 1, Oklahoma State 1, Arizona 1, Colorado 1.

Think Hawkins was the 1 vote?

MOtorboat
08-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Think Hawkins was the 1 vote?

Can't vote for your own team...and not all coaches have a vote, and I don't think he does.

I would imagine it was a fellow Big 12 coach...possibly Mac Brown or Bob Stoops. I would imagine it was Stoops...I know both have votes.

MOtorboat
08-01-2008, 08:11 PM
The USA TODAY Board of Coaches is made up of 61 head coaches at Division I-A institutions. All are members of the American Football Coaches Association. This season's board: Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech; Mike Bellotti, Oregon; Bret Bielema, Wisconsin; Bobby Bowden, Florida State; Tommy Bowden, Clemson; Art Briles, Baylor; Mack Brown, Texas; Neil Callaway, Alabama-Birmingham; Gene Chizik, Iowa State; Mario Cristobal, Florida International; Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State; Mark Dantonio, Michigan State; Butch Davis, North Carolina; Todd Dodge, North Texas; Randy Edsall, Connecticut; Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee; Jeff Genyk, Eastern Michigan; Turner Gill, Buffalo; Joe Glenn, Wyoming; Todd Graham, Tulsa; Jim Grobe, Wake Forest; Dan Hawkins, Colorado; Pat Hill, Fresno State; Butch Jones, Central Michigan; Steve Kragthorpe, Louisville; Mike Leach, Texas Tech; Jim Leavitt, South Florida; Rocky Long, New Mexico; Bill Lynch, Indiana; Doug Martin, Kent State; Urban Meyer, Florida; Les Miles, LSU; Shane Montgomery, Miami (Ohio); Hal Mumme, New Mexico State; Rick Neuheisel, UCLA; Tom O'Brien, North Carolina State; George O'Leary, Central Florida; Gary Patterson, TCU; Bo Pelini, Nebraska; Chris Petersen, Boise State; Gary Pinkel, Missouri; Mike Price, Texas-El Paso; Mark Richt, Georgia; Mike Riley, Oregon State; Rich Rodriguez, Michigan; Greg Schiano, Rutgers; Howard Schnellenberger, Florida Atlantic; Mark Snyder, Marshall; Frank Solich, Ohio; Steve Spurrier, South Carolina; Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee; Jeff Tedford, California; Joe Tiller, Purdue; Bob Toledo, Tulane; Dick Tomey, San Jose State; Jim Tressel, Ohio State; Tommy Tuberville, Auburn; Charlie Weis, Notre Dame; Kyle Whittingham, Utah; Tyrone Willingham, Washington; Ron Zook, Illinois.

MOtorboat
08-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I was wrong, Hawkins does have a vote...

Slick
08-01-2008, 08:39 PM
I think Gary did too when he was there. I thought they could vote for themselves in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll, but not the AP, or the UPI if they still use that one.

MOtorboat
08-01-2008, 08:40 PM
I think Gary did too when he was there. I thought they could vote for themselves in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll, but not the AP, or the UPI if they still use that one.

The AP Poll is all writers who can vote for whomever. The USA Today Poll is the coaches. ESPN backed out of polls that count, I believe.

slim
08-01-2008, 08:43 PM

Not to rain on your parade, but when is the last time a team went start to finish as #1?

MOtorboat
08-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but when is the last time a team went start to finish as #1?

USC...few years back.

Slick
08-01-2008, 08:44 PM
The AP Poll is all writers who can vote for whomever. The USA Today Poll is the coaches. ESPN backed out of polls that count, I believe.

AP is writers...I knew that. :bandit:

it is nice to see the Colorado name anywhere in a poll. I'm ready for some football.

slim
08-01-2008, 08:44 PM
USC...few years back.

Really? Guess I forgot...it can't be very common though.

ChampWJ
08-01-2008, 09:15 PM

Will they win it? I don't know. I sure hope so. They really don't have any weaknesses, and for an SEC team to be ranked this highly considering their schedule really speaks volumes to just how highly they're thought of.

I really thought Ohio State would be number 1 because their schedule isn't anywhere close to as difficult as an SEC team's, so they generally finish with a higher record.

There is no doubt Georgia has the toughest schedule. They have the talent to win it all, but can they hold up to a schedule where they play at Arizona St, at S. Car, at LSU, at Florida (might as well be a road game), at Auburn, etc? Then if they can get through that schedule and win the East, their reward is another game against a probable top 10 opponent in the SEC title game.

It's gonna be fun to watch.

Skinny
08-01-2008, 09:58 PM
South Carolina plays 4 out of the top 10 teams voted.

Home; Georgia and LSU

Away; Florida and Clemson

I think Carolina's been in the top 5 in 'Strength of Schedule', for 103 years now.

Watchthemiddle
08-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Georgia has a brutal schedule...but then again everyone in the SEC has a brutal schedule.

4 out of the last 5 games on the road...at LSU, Florida, Kentucky, and Auburn....YIKES!!

I am not a big fan of teams with 2 losses playing in the National Championship game ( except for LSU last year...:D) but any team that makes it out of the SEC with only 2 losses and gets voted in the Championship game deserves it. IMO