PDA

View Full Version : I don't usually do this, but. . .

dogfish
10-05-2010, 11:52 PM
part of me kinda wishes we'd pick up DE mark anderson, who was just released by da bears (http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/10/05/charles-grant-returns-to-nfl-with-chicago-bears/). . . obviously he has issues if he's being released mid-season, and he hasn't produced much at all the past two years. . . in fact, it's been pretty much all downhill since he exploded on the scene with a dozen sacks his rookie season. . .

still, it's not like no one else has ever thrived away from lovieland-- ced benson says hi! it happens. . . the odds against it are long, of course, and i'm typically not a big proponent of digging through other teams' junk for that reason. . . however, we're more or less desperate for some pass rush, and anderson has the raw skills the job requires. . . at 6'4", 255, he has a perfect frame for the DE-to-OLB conversion, but we wouldn't need to force that immediately. . .

something that's really bothered me is our lack of legitimate down linemen to rush the passer in nickel and dime packages, which forces us to use one and two DL looks. . . which are fine, but it's always better to have options-- with the way teams like to spread your defense out and then run against your extra-DB packages, you really need to have an effective traditional 4-DL nickel formation that puts two defensive tackles in the middle of the field but also has an end or two that poses a legit pass rush threat. . .

we could use a guy like anderson in a pretty limited capacity initially but still get some value out of him now while working him at OLB in practice. . . given that hunter had never played LB before this year and he's starting there for us, no reason to think that anderson couldn't at least be able to contribute there in some sub-packages where his primary duty is just rushing the QB within a month or so. . .

reclamation project with low odds of success, for sure. . . i don't see anywhere else that we're going to get much more pass rush from, though, and even a modest upgrade would go a ways. . . i'd be cool with taking a chance on him having the proverbial chip on his shoulder, or just being more able to effectively use the skills he showed early in his career. . . OR, we find out he's just not that good, or is a lazy POS, whatever-- won't cost much to cut our losses at the end of the year, he isn't going to be expensive. . .

chris clark could be expendable if the team's convinced harris is healthy. . . otherwise, why not just go ahead and pull the plug on jarvis moss now? probably end up with the same results either way, but at least anderson has one good NFL season under his belt. . . and hasn't had the chance to play linebacker yet, unlike jarvis. . .

IF we could find just a little boost to our pass rush and one more even halfway decent RB, at least contending for a playoff spot in a weak division shouldn't be considered out of the question. . . our passing game is kicking ass, our defense just shut down chris johnson, and there's still time for our OL to improve as the rooks get some experience and the vets *hopefully* continue to round into form. . . we're no juggernaut, that's for sure, but it's not like KC or san diego is either. . .

thought it was worth mentioning, anyway. . .

shank
10-06-2010, 12:15 AM
anderson is both the exact opposite and the exact same person as jarvis moss. sign him for paradoxical value alone.

Shazam!
10-06-2010, 12:52 AM
DLine is not the major concern right now IMO.

Everything hinges upfront and the backfield on O.

dogfish
10-06-2010, 12:57 AM
DLine is not the major concern right now IMO.

Everything hinges upfront and the backfield on O.

i'm not talking about him as a Dlineman, per se, but just as a pass rusher regardless of position. . .

you can't possibly say pass rush isn't a major concern, can you?

TimTebow15MVP
10-06-2010, 01:32 AM
id sign him and stand him up. he actually LED the bears in qb hurries so far this year. he tends to over run plays by doing so though if the team so happen to hand the ball off, standing up hed get to clearly see whats going on back there. Jason hunter was another guy who over ran alot of plays in the 4-3. another guy with 7 sacks or whatever and released. hes only come here and stood up, pressured the passer and holds the edge awesome to be standing up for the first time ever. id take a run at anderson. he can get pressure.

gobroncsnv
10-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Well, if we'd have had an OLB overrunning plays in this last game, Johnson would have gotten his 150 yards, and we would be 1-3... Hunter seems to have played a pretty controlled game, gave us a really set edge, and we forced Tenn out of their bread and butter.
So I'm wondering, did we PURPOSELY not provide a lot of pressure to Young, so we'd keep them trying to pass? Man, that would be hard to believe, and yet, keeping him IN the pocket, and have them try to pass their way to a win worked (in spite of the long balls that their receiver had right in his hands, but dropped). Would be interesting to know the answer to that one, but sure seems like we didn't dial up too many plays to bring the wood. Did like Dawk's blitz, though. Pretty disruptive on both of the plays I noticed him doing it.

Joel
10-06-2010, 03:24 AM
But before Grant celebrates too much, ESPNChicago.com reported that the NFL is looking into disciplining him (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5652009) under its personal conduct policy. Grant was indicted on charges of involuntary manslaughter in February of 2008 for an incident in a bar where a pregnant woman was shot to death. Grant pleaded no contest to the charges back in May.
Sounds like someone misses Tank Johnson.... :tongue:

If the price is right it seems worth a shot if only temporarily because Doom is down for the season. How much we can expect remains to be seen, but I think we're all conceding that; he'd be moving to a different defense after inconsistent performance in his old one. If it's JUST about having a guy who can put his hand down against the run, especially in a four down linemen scenario, that might be asking a bit much (remember when people said Doom was too small to start at DE in a 4-3? ;)) If that's what we want, see if the Bucs will trade Crowder back to us. Outside LBs in a 3-4 are in no sense down linemen; they're LBs who can play on the line and run stop when that's appropriate. However, one of the Leagues premiere 3-4 OLBs is gone for the year, and we're scrambling to fill that hole as much as you'd expect, so if there's a decent chance Anderson could do it without breaking our cap, it's worth trying, because it does seem like he may have the talent and frame; there's only one way to know if the skills are there or could be in the future.

TXBRONC
10-06-2010, 05:38 AM
We do need help with out pass rush. It should be obvious now to those who said we didn't need Dumervil that they were mistaken.

BroncoWave
10-06-2010, 07:31 AM
He signed with Houston.

TXBRONC
10-06-2010, 08:37 AM
He signed with Houston.

Oh well.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
10-06-2010, 09:11 AM
We do need help with out pass rush. It should be obvious now to those who said we didn't need Dumervil that they were mistaken.

But my feeling is we need to let wink and the players already on the roster to have a chance to gel. Constantly changing players will keep the D in flux all season long. Now if they brought in a BONA FIDE pass rusher, thats one thing. But flyers? Pass.

rcsodak
10-06-2010, 09:12 AM
He signed with Houston.
:clap:

BroncoNut
10-06-2010, 09:32 AM
oh well. I guess it's too late for my input on the subject

TXBRONC
10-06-2010, 09:33 AM
But my feeling is we need to let wink and the players already on the roster to have a chance to gel. Constantly changing players will keep the D in flux all season long. Now if they brought in a BONA FIDE pass rusher, thats one thing. But flyers? Pass.

I didn't say we should make wholesale changes and imho adding a pass rusher isn't going hurt.

GEM
10-06-2010, 10:09 AM
part of me kinda wishes we'd pick up DE mark anderson, who was just released by da bears (http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/10/05/charles-grant-returns-to-nfl-with-chicago-bears/). . . obviously he has issues if he's being released mid-season, and he hasn't produced much at all the past two years. . . in fact, it's been pretty much all downhill since he exploded on the scene with a dozen sacks his rookie season. . .

still, it's not like no one else has ever thrived away from lovieland-- ced benson says hi! it happens. . . the odds against it are long, of course, and i'm typically not a big proponent of digging through other teams' junk for that reason. . . however, we're more or less desperate for some pass rush, and anderson has the raw skills the job requires. . . at 6'4", 255, he has a perfect frame for the DE-to-OLB conversion, but we wouldn't need to force that immediately. . .

something that's really bothered me is our lack of legitimate down linemen to rush the passer in nickel and dime packages, which forces us to use one and two DL looks. . . which are fine, but it's always better to have options-- with the way teams like to spread your defense out and then run against your extra-DB packages, you really need to have an effective traditional 4-DL nickel formation that puts two defensive tackles in the middle of the field but also has an end or two that poses a legit pass rush threat. . .

we could use a guy like anderson in a pretty limited capacity initially but still get some value out of him now while working him at OLB in practice. . . given that hunter had never played LB before this year and he's starting there for us, no reason to think that anderson couldn't at least be able to contribute there in some sub-packages where his primary duty is just rushing the QB within a month or so. . .

reclamation project with low odds of success, for sure. . . i don't see anywhere else that we're going to get much more pass rush from, though, and even a modest upgrade would go a ways. . . i'd be cool with taking a chance on him having the proverbial chip on his shoulder, or just being more able to effectively use the skills he showed early in his career. . . OR, we find out he's just not that good, or is a lazy POS, whatever-- won't cost much to cut our losses at the end of the year, he isn't going to be expensive. . .

chris clark could be expendable if the team's convinced harris is healthy. . . otherwise, why not just go ahead and pull the plug on jarvis moss now? probably end up with the same results either way, but at least anderson has one good NFL season under his belt. . . and hasn't had the chance to play linebacker yet, unlike jarvis. . .

IF we could find just a little boost to our pass rush and one more even halfway decent RB, at least contending for a playoff spot in a weak division shouldn't be considered out of the question. . . our passing game is kicking ass, our defense just shut down chris johnson, and there's still time for our OL to improve as the rooks get some experience and the vets *hopefully* continue to round into form. . . we're no juggernaut, that's for sure, but it's not like KC or san diego is either. . .

thought it was worth mentioning, anyway. . .

I thought the same thing when I saw that he had been released. :)

Joel
10-07-2010, 01:07 AM
He signed with Houston.
I realized yesterday that it's theoretically possible all four of the teams I like could get a first round playoff bye. I'm not sure if my ulcer could handle it, but until they play each other, Go Texans, Go Broncos and Go America. :) Let's face it, Houston needs help against the pass (though probably not at LB.)

shank
10-07-2010, 03:54 AM
I realized yesterday that it's theoretically possible all four of the teams I like could get a first round playoff bye. I'm not sure if my ulcer could handle it, but until they play each other, Go Texans, Go Broncos and Go America. :) Let's face it, Houston needs help against the pass (though probably not at LB.)

cool story bro