PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it

gnomeflinger
10-05-2010, 10:07 PM
I haven't paid much attention to football up until a few years ago. My husband is a life-long Denver Bronco fan, and my best friend is too. Their enthusiasm eventually got to me so here I am, a die hard like the rest of you.

Maybe as a newbie fan (compared to most of you), I am thinking too logically about it all. My thought is, why is everyone looking to the end of the season, when we've just gotten started. We just finished the 4th regular season game, and we're 2-2. I think that's pretty decent. A lot of people are projecting a 8-8 season, a 4-12 (:eek:), or other not so favorable odds. Why? I don't get it. Why don't we just take each week as it comes and not be so ominous about the entire season?

Is this normal behavior? Does every Bronco fan think this way? It's 4 games in. McD has a few more games to improve on the upswing. Tebow was drafted not 6 months ago as a rookie. In the pre-season games, he's done decent. He's also 3rd string. They don't get to play very often during regular season. You can't judge his future solely on him just getting his feet wet. Orton has been here 2 years and he hasn't sucked. There are other starting QB's in the league who aren't doing as well. You call yourselves Bronco fans and you're already trying to throw these players and the coach under the bus? That sucks.

So I ask, what am I missing here?

honz
10-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Hillis is the motor of it all.

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2010, 10:15 PM

The majority of us have been a fan at least since the SuperBowls. That means we pretty much know, for sure, that we will end the season with some serious losses. We do pretty much every year. It has become almost inevitable. 2-2 for Denver at this point is like 0-4 for the other teams, considering how the season always ends for the broncos.

gnomeflinger
10-05-2010, 10:18 PM
The majority of us have been a fan at least since the SuperBowls. That means we pretty much know, for sure, that we will end the season with some serious losses. We do pretty much every year. It has become almost inevitable. 2-2 for Denver at this point is like 0-4 for the other teams, considering how the season always ends for the broncos.

Unless you can see the future, how do you know this won't be the year these numbers turn around? I just think there is still time to take each game as it comes, and not count them out.

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Unless you can see the future, how do you know this won't be the year these numbers turn around? I just think there is still time to take each game as it comes, and not count them out.

Classical conditioning. On a serious note, a pass only offense does not breed well for success in the NFL once the snow falls, so that is a very scary thought.

BroncoWave
10-05-2010, 10:22 PM

You're right, we should just pack it up and quit because everyone knows that past trends are a 100% indicator of what will happen in the future. Everyone on the team should just retire now to avoid the embarrassment.

*fart*

shank
10-05-2010, 10:23 PM
i don't get this thread... we're going 14-2, don't you know that?

BroncoWave
10-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Classical conditioning. On a serious note, a pass only offense does not breed well for success in the NFL once the snow falls, so that is a very scary thought.

Has Denver even played a game in the snow since that MNF game against the Raiders several years ago? I think the whole "pass first teams will fail in the snow" bit is vastly overrated. There are maybe 3-4 games in the NFL in an entire season played in heave snow.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2010, 10:27 PM
I haven't paid much attention to football up until a few years ago. My husband is a life-long Denver Bronco fan, and my best friend is too. Their enthusiasm eventually got to me so here I am, a die hard like the rest of you.

Maybe as a newbie fan (compared to most of you), I am thinking too logically about it all. My thought is, why is everyone looking to the end of the season, when we've just gotten started. We just finished the 4th regular season game, and we're 2-2. I think that's pretty decent. A lot of people are projecting a 8-8 season, a 4-12 (:eek:), or other not so favorable odds. Why? I don't get it. Why don't we just take each week as it comes and not be so ominous about the entire season?

Is this normal behavior? Does every Bronco fan think this way? It's 4 games in. McD has a few more games to improve on the upswing. Tebow was drafted not 6 months ago as a rookie. In the pre-season games, he's done decent. He's also 3rd string. They don't get to play very often during regular season. You can't judge his future solely on him just getting his feet wet. Orton has been here 2 years and he hasn't sucked. There are other starting QB's in the league who aren't doing as well. You call yourselves Bronco fans and you're already trying to throw these players and the coach under the bus? That sucks.

Great post, and in my opinion, you are not the one who is missing something.

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Has Denver even played a game in the snow since that MNF game against the Raiders several years ago? I think the whole "pass first teams will fail in the snow" bit is vastly overrated. There are maybe 3-4 games in the NFL in an entire season played in heave snow.

Hmm. Heavy snowfall. Not very good traction. The ball is hard to throw, hard to catch, Wr's get less separation because they can't get in and out of their cuts, and not to mention, passing stats actually go down as the year goes on.

It's not rocket science.

shank
10-05-2010, 10:30 PM
if you predict doom and are right, you're brilliant, because you're supposed to be rooting for the team. if you predict good things and are right, you're just an idiot homer who got lucky.

me thinks the glass half empty crowd fancies themselves smarter than your average bear.

dogfish
10-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Tebow was drafted not 6 months ago as a rookie. In the pre-season games, he's done decent. He's also 3rd string. They don't get to play very often during regular season. You can't judge his future solely on him just getting his feet wet. Orton has been here 2 years and he hasn't sucked. There are other starting QB's in the league who aren't doing as well. You call yourselves Bronco fans and you're already trying to throw these players and the coach under the bus? That sucks.

is it okay if i at least throw maroney under the bus?

:noidea:

i mean, in all fairness, we pretty much haven't been able to restrain the guy from throwing himself under there. . .

shank
10-05-2010, 10:33 PM
is it okay if i at least throw maroney under the bus?

:noidea:

i mean, in all fairness, we pretty much haven't been able to restrain the guy from throwing himself under there. . .

we should totally park a bus in the endzone. problem solved.

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2010, 10:34 PM
if you predict doom and are right, you're brilliant, because you're supposed to be rooting for the team. if you predict good things and are right, you're just an idiot homer who got lucky.

me thinks the glass half empty crowd fancies themselves smarter than your average bear.

I don't think anyone's actually predicting doom and gloom right now. People give emotionally invested in the team, and spin off the handle at every game. It happens with the fans of all 32 teams in the NFL.

Thnikkaman
10-05-2010, 10:39 PM
For me, its the length of the season. 16 games isn't very long. And you know that playoff teams usually need at least 10 wins. That means that realistically, we can only lose 4 more games to be a shoe-in for the playoffs. Half of us here also follow some College team, me the Hawkeyes. When the Hawkeyes lost against Arizona earlier this year, our national championship hopes went down the tube.

By being a fan of Hockey and Baseball, which have longer sesons, I've started to show more patience, but the short season really makes each loss hurt.

Lonestar
10-05-2010, 10:41 PM
I remember the good old days when after game two we came to the conclusion our draft choices were not very good or if they were good that the chefs and raiders were better so we were only going to be spoilers at the end of the year.

I remember many a game hearing those around me saying wait till next year by game 4 or so.

We were all still die hard fans that for the most part sat in 20- weather or in blinding snow storms but we still supported our Donkeys and razed the opposing team by making the visiting team locker room a miserable place by stomping on the floor of the south stands.

Talk about how many Hawaiian Peace signs we got each game from the players and coaches.

I for one am not worried if we do not make the playoffs as long as we are getting better each week. because I know that we will get there as long as we are getting better.

Zweems56
10-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Meh. The farthest ahead that I look or predict is to say that we'll go 16-0 in the regular season. Currently my prediction is 14-2.

robert ethan
10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
There are many aspects of McDaniels coaching tenure in Denver that could have been handled better. I'm sure he'd be the first one to admit that. Fans on the boards point these things out, since that is about all they can do.

The criticism levelled at him over the draft day trade for Alphonso Smith has certainly been justified. Those mystified why he would trade up into the second round to take a guy in Richard Quinn who had a fourth round label are justified in their criticism. Those who questioned using the crucial last game of last season to send a message to Marshall and Scheffler certainly weren't mollified by the results. These are all legitimate, verifiable, mistakes that have cost the team games and playoff revenue. The obvious one to me going forward is his decision to jettison half the offensive line and plug a couple of mid round rookies into the starting lineup from training camp. You can see the chaos that is causing in the running game and pass protection. It has cost the team one game so far and will cost more before the end of the season if something isn't done to rectify it.

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2010, 11:08 PM
There are many aspects of McDaniels coaching tenure in Denver that could have been handled better. I'm sure he'd be the first one to admit that. Fans on the boards point these things out, since that is about all they can do.

The criticism levelled at him over the draft day trade for Alphonso Smith has certainly been justified. Those mystified why he would trade up into the second round to take a guy in Richard Quinn who had a fourth round label are justified in their criticism. Those who questioned using the crucial last game of last season to send a message to Marshall and Scheffler certainly weren't mollified by the results. These are all legitimate, verifiable, mistakes that have cost the team games and playoff revenue. The obvious one to me going forward is his decision to jettison half the offensive line and plug a couple of mid round rookies into the starting lineup from training camp. You can see the chaos that is causing in the running game and pass protection. It has cost the team one game so far and will cost more before the end of the season if something isn't done to rectify it.

Shanahan made monumental draft mistakes year, after year, after year, after year, and he was still able to keep the team somewhat competitive. IMO McDaniels needs to draft much better, and in comparing his 2 drafts, at least has showed he's in the right direction. Coaching is where it's at.

Northman
10-06-2010, 12:03 AM

Thats the beauty of being a football fan.

I guess we all could wait each week until a game is played before posting on the forum but then what would we talk about? Doesnt make sense does it? :lol:

Is this normal behavior?

Uh yea, ever since Topscribe first created the stone wheel this is how football message boards go. It isnt just the Broncos, trust me.

Does every Bronco fan think this way? It's 4 games in. McD has a few more games to improve on the upswing. Tebow was drafted not 6 months ago as a rookie. In the pre-season games, he's done decent. He's also 3rd string. They don't get to play very often during regular season. You can't judge his future solely on him just getting his feet wet. Orton has been here 2 years and he hasn't sucked. There are other starting QB's in the league who aren't doing as well.

Again, go to any Bronco forum you will have the same discussions going on. Its football talk.

You call yourselves Bronco fans and you're already trying to throw these players and the coach under the bus? That sucks.

Frankly, im shocked you would take a shot at people's fandom. Your generally better than that. Just because people have differing opinions dont make them less of a fan. Some people like the moves made on the team and some dont. Some people like McD as a person/coach and some dont. Its an imperfect world what can i say? Unlike yourself ive been a Bronco fan for over 25 years. Ive been through the bad, good, and the ugly even before McD took over. And throughout that time i have been pissed off and vented either in the company of my friends or on the internet. But guess what? Im still here. Im not going anywhere. Win, lose, draw, ill always be here and ill always give my opinion on where i think the state of the team is. Its the nature of the beast babydoll.

A beer?

dogfish
10-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Uh yea, ever since Topscribe first created the stone wheel this is how football message boards go. It isnt just the Broncos, trust me.

:laugh:

dogfish
10-06-2010, 12:24 AM
gnomey, when it comes to the various predictions of our record, that's just an inherent part of sports fandom for tons of people. . . i can't find it on youtube, but there's a great scene at the beginning of the movie major league where all the various fans-- even the groundscrew-- are joking about how shitty the indians are going to be. . .

and pardon the reference :D, but back when the nugs were terrible there was a running joke that "every night in denver, the nuggets get smoked". . . :laugh: there's just a mentality that if you're an established fan who has suffered through losing seasons and heartbreak, you're entitled to be blunt and say what you think. . . you know-- kind of like how you can make fun of your family, but you may not want other people to? loyalty is measured by buying tickets and wearing the gear, season after season-- not by always being positive regardless of wins, losses or anything else. . .

other people think always being positive and "supporting the team" is what's important. . . people just have different takes on it. . .

i stuck with the broncs through three gutwrenching super bowl loses, and have no problem just saying what i think about the team, whether it's positive, negative, whatever. . . it's just being honest, not being a bad fan. . .

although, some of the behavior that's been displayed here over the years goes beyond being a bad fan to just plain being a bad human. . . :laugh:

OT, i'm looking at you!

gnomeflinger
10-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Noob, I didn't mean to slam the fandom. I was thinking that deeming the most-often slammed players (and coach) without giving them a fair shake was unfair. I thought deciding that after 4 games, any hope of playoffs is worthless was unfair. But as pointed out, it seemed I was confusing criticism over "throwing under the bus." I apologize for that. That's why I said I didn't get the whole scheme. I was looking for guidance. :D

Just take my thoughts as ignorance. Am I forgiven?

girler
10-06-2010, 12:57 AM
People are complaining? :confused: Oh, you mean in the football forums! I hang out elsewhere during the week. :elefant:

But come Sunday (/Monday/Thursday) I am in the thick of it with my beloved Broncos!!! :salute:

Reidman
10-06-2010, 02:52 AM
I've stopped worrying about records. I try to focus solely on each game as it comes.

Joel
10-06-2010, 03:35 AM

As a fan of both teams, I think it's a toned down version of the problem Dallas has: When your team has a long track record of doing well (and Denver played in a SB in the '70s, '80s and '90s; in fact, there are few teams that have played more) the standard is a little higher than in, say, Seattle. Maybe we need this; not so long ago it was EXACTLY like Dallas: Getting to the playoffs wasn't good enough, anything less than a SB trip was abject failure. After a spate of .500 seasons I think most of us would be happy just to show the League that, yes, there are other AFC West teams than San Diego. My two cents, take 'em for what they're worth.

TXBRONC
10-06-2010, 05:31 AM
Noob, I didn't mean to slam the fandom. I was thinking that deeming the most-often slammed players (and coach) without giving them a fair shake was unfair. I thought deciding that after 4 games, any hope of playoffs is worthless was unfair. But as pointed out, it seemed I was confusing criticism over "throwing under the bus." I apologize for that. That's why I said I didn't get the whole scheme. I was looking for guidance. :D

If anyone is offended by what you said then they are choosing to be offended. :salute:

Northman
10-06-2010, 10:58 AM

I was never mad at ya. :D

T.K.O.
10-06-2010, 11:38 AM

uh....no.
the broncos would still have been eliminated from the playoffs last year even if they had won the last game,so the benching of marshall did NOT cost us a playoff spot (not to mention our D played so bad in that game marshall would not have helped)
one could also say that the decisions shanny made for the decade prior "cost us playoff revenue"
a couple bad draft choices dont make or break the team(they dont help) but lets be real.
the team as a whole is being rebuilt,at the owners request.a decade of mediocrity cannot be turned around in one season.fans dont like it but it's a fact.
this team has made some pretty big strides,beating the bolts bad in their house was a big one.
with the injurieas of clady,harris,doom & running backs.i would say 2-2 aint bad.
please give the team a chance for the young o-line and recievers to get on the same page.then i think we will all see that mcD has the broncos moving in the right direction !:salute:

BroncoNut
10-06-2010, 02:10 PM
It's just projecting Gnome. similar things confused me when I started following the game. It's a very mental game, that's for sure. Wins and losses can be predicted coming off of byes, on the road. Injuries are such a big factor too. so I'm there too. to a large degree (havent' really followed myself until recently)

Totally with you on the Josh thing. People criticizing him do so like he's been here for a handfull of years when in fact it is what you say, 4 weeks into his 2 nd season. Another thing I've noticed is that teams seem to peak at different points in the season. We've all heard the addage, "It's how you play in March and April that matters" Hang in there.

Day1BroncoFan
10-06-2010, 02:24 PM
For me, every year is the year "IT" happens. "IT" being the turnaround we've all been waiting for. This year is no different. When we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I give up hope then, not before. :D

One of these years I'll be right. It could be this year. I'm ready, are you?

:elefant:

BroncoNut
10-06-2010, 02:26 PM
For me, every year is the year "IT" happens. "IT" being the turn around we've all been waiting for. This year is no different. When we are mathimatically illiminated from the playoffs, I give up hope then, not before. :D

yeah, I know what you mean. Like how I wait for you spelling to improve.

girler
10-06-2010, 02:28 PM

:laugh: :whistle:

BroncoNut
10-06-2010, 02:31 PM
:laugh: :whistle:

:lol: that's a typo, Day1's was ... I don't even know if words could begin to describe it.

Northman
10-06-2010, 02:35 PM
For me, every year is the year "IT" happens. "IT" being the turnaround we've all been waiting for. This year is no different. When we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I give up hope then, not before. :D

WHEN we make the playoffs im ready. :D

girler
10-06-2010, 02:36 PM
:lol: that's a typo, Day1's was ... I don't even know if words could begin to describe it.

Maybe it is a "brain-o." :alberteinstein:

Day1BroncoFan
10-06-2010, 02:40 PM

Sometimes I type faster than my brain can spell. :laugh:

Apparently, you do too. :listen:

:focus:

rcsodak
10-06-2010, 02:41 PM
negative nelly

:D
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
10-06-2010, 02:43 PM
You're right, we should just pack it up and quit because everyone knows that past trends are a 100% indicator of what will happen in the future. Everyone on the team should just retire now to avoid the embarrassment.

*fart*
*belch*

.....yup.

*scratching tummy*

rcsodak
10-06-2010, 02:47 PM

Global- cooling*scratch*/warming*scratch*/change*scratch*(insert new catch eord here)......

*wink*

rcsodak
10-06-2010, 02:51 PM

Have always said it's the easy way out. I try to steer clear of a defeatist attitude, myself. It may not turn out as I planned, but I still give it effort.

rcsodak
10-06-2010, 03:02 PM
...karma....

Lonestar
10-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Seems to me that NE does pretty damned good in snowy weather in passing the ball. But hen I could be wrong.

I'm sure someone will tell me if I am.

KCL
10-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Seems to me that NE does pretty damned good in snowy weather in passing the ball. But hen I could be wrong.

I'm sure someone will tell me if I am.

yep...you're wrong

D1g1tal j1m
10-06-2010, 03:43 PM
People love to fantasize about the future because they can project their wishes and thoughts about what they want to see happen. They have a vision of what kind of team they want and need to go undefeated and win the superbowl. To take a look back at the game that just happened makes them aware that their ideas and thoughts are no longer relevant to what has already transpired. It's easier to dream about the future and what may happen than to look back and analyze the mistakes that where made in the past.
We are 2-2 and each of the 4 games can be broken down to see what our faults are. Rehashing them and taking away the negatives of each game helps to support the changes that people believe need to happen next year. The sweeping changes a the end of the season are more idealistic to some to think about as opposed to the smaller/subtle changes that are to be made in the next game.

Again, this is my opinion and you are free to disagree with me (as my wife usually does)....

gnomeflinger
10-06-2010, 06:09 PM

Exactly! Thank you.

Day1BroncoFan
10-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Exactly! Thank you.

You're welcome gnomey. My pleasure.

Joel
10-07-2010, 01:27 AM
People love to fantasize about the future because they can project their wishes and thoughts about what they want to see happen. They have a vision of what kind of team they want and need to go undefeated and win the superbowl. To take a look back at the game that just happened makes them aware that their ideas and thoughts are no longer relevant to what has already transpired. It's easier to dream about the future and what may happen than to look back and analyze the mistakes that where made in the past.
We are 2-2 and each of the 4 games can be broken down to see what our faults are. Rehashing them and taking away the negatives of each game helps to support the changes that people believe need to happen next year. The sweeping changes a the end of the season are more idealistic to some to think about as opposed to the smaller/subtle changes that are to be made in the next game.

Again, this is my opinion and you are free to disagree with me (as my wife usually does)....
I think this is an apt description of many people. It's also easy to cherry pick stats and events from recent games with ones pre-season comments in mind and then say, "SEE? SEE? I was right, and as soon as the FO and coaches listen to me we'll be 19-0!" Since different things happen every week, and I don't think people search as assiduously for evidence they were WRONG, there will always be a few people doing that, whatever happened last Sunday. People have found fault (some of them rightly) even when we were undefeated. There are 32 NFL teams; we can't all own one--but most of us wish we did....

slim
10-07-2010, 12:42 PM
For me, its the length of the season. 16 games isn't very long. And you know that playoff teams usually need at least 10 wins. That means that realistically, we can only lose 4 more games to be a shoe-in for the playoffs. Half of us here also follow some College team, me the Hawkeyes. When the Hawkeyes lost against Arizona earlier this year, our national championship hopes went down the tube.

By being a fan of Hockey and Baseball, which have longer sesons, I've started to show more patience, but the short season really makes each loss hurt.

Your national championship hopes went up in smoke the day you became a Hawkeye fan :listen:

I Eat Staples
10-07-2010, 07:01 PM
This thread is dripping with hyperbole and hypocrisy.

What's wrong with predicting the team's record? You don't have to agree with it, but using the "you can't see into the future" excuse as a way to discredit a prediction is pretty weak. If you don't want to give your opinion on the team throughout the season why do you post here?

I predicted 8-8 before the season and it still seems rather likely. If you don't like a prediction and say "the past doesn't dictate the future" or "take it one game at a time" then it probably means you think we're going to win more games than said predictor stated. So you're still making a prediction, just a different one. Nothing wrong with that, but there's nothing wrong with thinking we're going to finish average or worse either.

BCJ
11-30-2010, 04:21 AM

BUMP!
Yet, this is the same poster that licks McD's crotch whereever it moves. I bet you wouldnt find him saying any of these things currently. Nope, everyone else but Josh has done wrong.