PDA

View Full Version : Time out...

LordTrychon
08-01-2008, 01:35 AM
This was perhaps better suited to a PM with Tned, but then I thought that perhaps some other input would be decent.

Why is the time out time for members so long on this site? It's at 30 minutes, I believe...

I personally think that's a bit long, but I may just be too used to other settings. I know that Tned himself may sometimes take 30 minutes to type in his ginormous responses to threads, but few others do.

I have wondered this in the past, but just now I was looking to see who was looking at Politics (I'm bored) and two of the members have been inactive for over 25 minutes.

Just seems that they're probably gone at that point. *shrug*

Lonestar
08-01-2008, 01:46 AM
20-30 minutes trend to calm everything down and let the tempers get into check..

If someone does not wish to wait that long their thoughts were probably not worth posting..

Most of the time it takes that long to edit and delete the myriad of posts.. Some of us are not whizzbang typists like others..

LordTrychon
08-01-2008, 01:52 AM
20-30 minutes trend to calm everything down and let the tempers get into check..

If someone does not wish to wait that long their thoughts were probably not worth posting..

Most of the time it takes that long to edit and delete the myriad of posts.. Some of us are not whizzbang typists like others..

Shoot, JR...

I just reread my post and I completely see how you took it. My bad. :laugh:

I was talking about how long a member can be inactive on the site before the site lists them as offline. :doh:

For the record, I think that's the perfect amount of time to let posters cool off. :salute:

Lonestar
08-01-2008, 01:58 AM
not sure what the time frame is Tned would know I'm guessing 45 days or so..

Tned
08-01-2008, 06:37 AM
This was perhaps better suited to a PM with Tned, but then I thought that perhaps some other input would be decent.

Why is the time out time for members so long on this site? It's at 30 minutes, I believe...

I personally think that's a bit long, but I may just be too used to other settings. I know that Tned himself may sometimes take 30 minutes to type in his ginormous responses to threads, but few others do.

I have wondered this in the past, but just now I was looking to see who was looking at Politics (I'm bored) and two of the members have been inactive for over 25 minutes.

Just seems that they're probably gone at that point. *shrug*

Early on I had it set to 15 minutes and received complaints about people timing out before finishing their posts (I sometimes take 60+ minutes, with my stats research and stuff, but I'm 'different').

Anyway, that's why it's set to 1800 seconds.

Joel
08-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Actually, I have the opposite problem, LT; I frequently type out ginormous responses, edit, parse, close tags, make sure I hit all of someones points and clarified my own--then submit (or preview, more often) and have to re-login. It's not a huge deal, 'cos the board posts it after you login, but it does annoy me periodically. In case anyone's curious I've been working really hard to try and trim things, but... some say I think too much.... :redface:

For the record, I can do 70wpm with <3 errors on a good day, but that's not the problem.

Tned
08-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Actually, I have the opposite problem, LT; I frequently type out ginormous responses, edit, parse, close tags, make sure I hit all of someones points and clarified my own--then submit (or preview, more often) and have to re-login. It's not a huge deal, 'cos the board posts it after you login, but it does annoy me periodically. In case anyone's curious I've been working really hard to try and trim things, but... some say I think too much.... :redface:

For the record, I can do 70wpm with <3 errors on a good day, but that's not the problem.

If you simply check the "remember me" check box (or whatever it actually says in the place you login), then it won't ask you to relogin after the timeout period.

Joel
08-01-2008, 07:32 AM
If you simply check the "remember me" check box (or whatever it actually says in the place you login), then it won't ask you to relogin after the timeout period.
But... but... spiders, and spambots and phishers, oh, my! I is paranoid.... :foilhat:

Tned
08-01-2008, 07:33 AM
But... but... spiders, and spambots and phishers, oh, my! I is paranoid.... :foilhat:

Yes you are. vBulletin is not on any spider, spambot or phishing list.

Day1BroncoFan
08-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Early on I had it set to 15 minutes and received complaints about people timing out before finishing their posts (I sometimes take 60+ minutes, with my stats research and stuff, but I'm 'different').

60 minutes to type one post. If I had that much time to type in a post I don't know that I would take it. :elefant: :eek: :coffee:

KCL
08-01-2008, 12:31 PM
not sure what the time frame is Tned would know I'm guessing 45 days or so..

I am now confused....:confused:

Is it any wonder????????:eek:

LordTrychon
08-02-2008, 01:10 AM

Ok... I've always used the remember me setting... so I hadn't thought about the having to re-log in so often. Thanks for the response. :salute:

BroncoBJ
08-02-2008, 01:50 AM
What is a time out? :confused:
i've never had 1 on any site. Is it just like a ban for 30 minutes or something? :lol:

Tned
08-02-2008, 06:51 AM
What is a time out? :confused:
i've never had 1 on any site. Is it just like a ban for 30 minutes or something? :lol:

No, timeout is just when something times out.

What LT was asking about was how long after you login to this site (if you don't check 'remember me') will it ask you to login in again if you haven't done anything and then try and post, view PMs, go to User CP or access anything else that would normally require being logged into the message board.