View Full Version : Broncos must run to save Orton

Lonestar
10-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Broncos must run to save Orton
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 10/04/2010 11:49:49 AM MDT
UPDATED: 10/04/2010 11:57:50 AM MDT

The Broncos hope an improved running game will help them avoid sacks like this one, when Tennessee's Tony Brown took down Kyle Orton during the first half of Denver's win Sunday. (Grant Halverson, Getty Images)
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Sunday there was a point in what eventually became a victory over the Titans that he simply kicked the team's faltering run game to the curb.

And that's true. From the 8:15 mark in the fourth quarter the Broncos ran 21 plays and had two penalties on offense to close out the game.

Fifteen of those plays were pass plays, including a sack of quarterback Kyle Orton and three of the six running plays the Broncos ran on their final possession because they were trying to use the clock as they held the lead.

And a fourth was an Orton keeper for a first down. That is chucking the run game to be sure.

While they're not likely to wake up one day and suddenly be able to pound out the yardage, they do have to find a way to run enough to protect Orton. The Titans weren't honoring the Broncos' play-action, choosing the charge at Orton and play the run as a second thought on their way to six sacks.

Orton took plenty of other, potentially game-ending hits as well. And the Ravens and Jets are sure to come after him over the next two weeks with others watching intently as they make the decision in the games that follow.

Because defenses are likely to make the decision at some point that the best way to slow down the Broncos league-leading passing attack is to make sure Orton isn't the one throwing the ball in it.

There is the matter of this sobering statistic as well: Orton is one of four quarterbacks to have been sacked at least 11 times this season. Two of the other three — Michael Vick and Jay Cutler — were knocked out of games Sunday and don't appear to be in line to play again any time soon.

Vick is sporting a rib injury and Cutler has a concussion.

The Broncos are last in the league in rushing at this point, but they may be forced to continue to try no matter the result just to keep Orton in position to win them some games.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com.

Read more: Broncos must run to save Orton - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16249737#ixzz11PsWkTe4

Chris90210
10-04-2010, 03:02 PM
i agree 100%

Day1BroncoFan
10-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Yes.

Northman
10-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Yep, cant argue that.

Traveler
10-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Sooner or later, the OL has gotta get tired of being the ones getting their asses handed to them.

Maybe the Titans game was the wake up call they needed.

TXBRONC
10-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Sooner or later, the OL has gotta get tired of being the ones getting their asses handed to them.

Maybe the Titans game was the wake up call they needed.

The line has to improve but imo I think our backs are a bigger problem.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Traveler
10-04-2010, 03:32 PM
The line has to improve but imo I think our backs are a bigger problem.

I'd have to disagree since we can't really get a good read on the until the line play improves.

Shazam!
10-04-2010, 04:58 PM
What is sad about this is that the Broncos' offense could possibly be juggernaut status with a decent ground game. With this Oline in front of him Know isnt the answer either. They have to get better blocking up front.

frenchfan
10-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Saving private Orton :D

Yeah... We need to protect Kyle better and running the football is a need... Our OL isn't at its top for sure either... Clady is not as his best level... Rookies... But hell... This OL is young and could be a great part of our future...

Hopefully, Kyle's ankles are fine so he still can run :laugh:

I agree with Shazam... With a decent running game, we could be a very dangerous O... Keep our fingers crossed...

arapaho2
10-04-2010, 05:33 PM
I'd have to disagree since we can't really get a good read on the until the line play improves.

the one oline ranked worse than ours has arian foster..the leagues leading rusher

our rbacks suck...that is the problem

broncofaninfla
10-04-2010, 06:02 PM
I feel its a combo of the both, poor O line play with talent lacking in the RB's, easily the weakest group in the last 15 years or so. This has been an ongoing problem, at some point the position coaches involved have to start sharing in the blame as well. Denver is a one demensonal team, we can hang when we play other one demensional teams Like Tenn but we won't fair well against teams with a balanced attack. I'm hoping this group gels before our eyes but don't see any indication we are anywhere near that point right now.

TXBRONC
10-04-2010, 06:05 PM
the one oline ranked worse than ours has arian foster..the leagues leading rusher

our rbacks suck...that is the problem

Agreed. The offensive line isn't without blame but I just don't think their the main problem.

Dzone
10-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Wonder if NoShow will be another NO-SHOW against Baltimore.
Baloney started doing the Ickey shuffle left and right everytime he was handed the ball. I was hoping that 2 weeks in Mcds system would give him more certainlty in hitting holes, but NO, he was as bad as his first game.

turftoad
10-04-2010, 07:26 PM
That Jeff Legwold man, he should be a brain surgeon. :D

Northman
10-04-2010, 07:49 PM
I feel its a combo of the both, poor O line play with talent lacking in the RB's, easily the weakest group in the last 15 years or so. This has been an ongoing problem, at some point the position coaches involved have to start sharing in the blame as well. Denver is a one demensonal team, we can hang when we play other one demensional teams Like Tenn but we won't fair well against teams with a balanced attack. I'm hoping this group gels before our eyes but don't see any indication we are anywhere near that point right now.

I agree 100%.

I believe its about 70% on the backs and 30% on the line right now. Either way, McD has got to get this part of the offense going as i dont think we're this bad last year when we were cross mixing schemes. Still a ways to go in the year so im sure McD will still get us a division title when all is said and done. Or, at least i hope so.

TXBRONC
10-04-2010, 08:26 PM
I agree 100%.

I believe its about 70% on the backs and 30% on the line right now. Either way, McD has got to get this part of the offense going as i dont think we're this bad last year when we were cross mixing schemes. Still a ways to go in the year so im sure McD will still get us a division title when all is said and done. Or, at least i hope so.

Hey North are you going to game Sunday?

Northman
10-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Hey North are you going to game Sunday?

Nah, i was hoping my mother in law would get tickets again this year but she wasnt able too. I was planning on going with one of my friends who is a Ravens fan so instead we are going to grab some beers and watch the Broncos beat that ass on my 42' flat screen. :D

TXBRONC
10-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Nah, i was hoping my mother in law would get tickets again this year but she wasnt able too. I was planning on going with one of my friends who is a Ravens fan so instead we are going to grab some beers and watch the Broncos beat that ass on my 42' flat screen. :D

That sounds like a pretty good deal. :beer: