PDA

View Full Version : Denver offensive line takes a beating against Titans

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2010, 08:35 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16244322?source=rss

NASHVILLE, TENN. — Right tackle Ryan Harris and center J.D. Walton each left LP Field Sunday evening with a bloody lip. Left tackle Ryan Clady had both his knees wrapped in ice, and right guard Chris Kuper was just mad as heck.

Yes, it was a rough day for the Broncos' offensive line, who took the brunt of the punishment from a nasty Tennessee defense and an unrelenting pass rush.

The unit got beat for six sacks — the most allowed by the Broncos in a single game since 2002 — and was bullied after the whistle. Walton, Kuper and Harris all lost their helmets at times, but retained their composure against a defense that Kyle Orton called "cheap."

"There's no excuse for six sacks," Kuper said.

The Titans attacked from the left and the right and right up the gut, putting Orton immediately under siege. Three of the Titans' sacks came in the first quarter, including on back-to-back plays on the Broncos' second possession. Five of the sacks came from Titans' defensive linemen, and the sixth by corner Cortland Finnegan.

"It felt like there were a lot of things coming from a lot of places. But you know what, that's what pro football defenses do," Harris said.

The Titans, though, were able to do it consistently, in part because the Broncos' offense was one dimensional, with 50 pass attempts compared to only 20 runs, just like it was a week ago against Indianapolis. Without the threat of the run, Tennessee blitzed not just on third-down, but on first- and second-downs, too, though four of the six sacks came on third down.

"They did a good job game-planning on us," Kuper said "We've got to step our game up as a group and take some pressure off the pass game and get this run game going."

The line's play improved over the course of the game, which helped the Broncos string together longer drives. Coach Josh McDaniels also praised the group for not having any false start penalties, despite playing in a loud and hostile stadium.

"They pressured us a lot earlier in the game, which kind of discouraged the run game and forced you to stand in there and block them one-on-one in protections," coach Josh McDaniels said. "I think until we got used to it and got comfortable with it, we had a few issues there. This is an aggressive defense."

The Broncos now have the wounds to show for it. Kuper, a team captain and the oldest starter on the line, said he was proud of the way his linemates remained patient and composed, while Orton - normally the one being protected - defended his linemen against the Tennessee defense "I think they are cheap, and it was one of the cheapest games that I've ever seen out of some of those players," Orton said of the Titans. "I thought the refs did a great job of keeping it under control, but when we've got Chris Kuper with his helmet off, getting punched and all that stuff, it's ridiculous."

After the game, Harris called the game a learning experience for the offensive line. Indeed, this entire year has been a trial for a group that has endured changes in coaching staff and philosophy, the addition of several young players, a major offseason knee injury to Clady and early season injuries to Harris and Kuper. Sunday marked Harris' debut after missing three games with an ankle injury, and only his second start since injuring his toe in the seventh game of last year.

"It was important for all of us to know and learn, that if you keep working — whether things go good or bad — if you just keep working and get back on the field, and keep trying. Good things will happen, and that's what happened today, eventually," Harris said.

LRtagger
10-03-2010, 08:44 PM
I couldnt understand how Harris ended 4 or 5 plays with his helmet off and the refs didnt throw a single flag.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I couldnt understand how Harris ended 4 or 5 plays with his helmet off and the refs didnt throw a single flag.

I think it was on the play that they ruled Maroney had fumbled - he came up without his helmet on also :tsk:

gobroncsnv
10-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Maybe we should look into having our Dline hold the offensive tackle on a stunt so that Clady ended up getting called for holding... That's one way to break down pass blocking schemes. It was later in the game, Clady goes to help against the end taking an inside rush, the DE holds Clady, who ended up reaching out to grab the tackle coming around. Tennessee has a great pass rush, no doubt, but when they use those kind of tactics to gain the advantage, and not get called for them, then should we buy in to that kind of crap too?

broncobryce
10-03-2010, 10:22 PM
The Titans were on Orton like dogs until we slowed em down with some BUBBLE SCREENS. Has to be done at times.

UnderArmour
10-03-2010, 10:27 PM

I swear I saw a lineman come up and knock Kuper's helmet off after the whistle while his back was turned. Could be wrong though.

SR
10-03-2010, 11:26 PM
I think it was on the play that they ruled Maroney had fumbled - he came up without his helmet on also :tsk:

And he was PISSED. The dude that knocked it off, Babin, was laughing about it too.

frauschieze
10-03-2010, 11:31 PM
And he was PISSED. The dude that knocked it off, Babin, was laughing about it too.

Last laugh is ours: Denver 26, Tennessee 20.

:smug:

GEM
10-03-2010, 11:40 PM
The guy laughing afterwards was insulting. It should have fired the guys up. Cut block some of those large mofos, and they could change their tune. I really dislike cut blocking, but sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. If they want to play dirty, give it right back. It will make them a whole lot more honest.

shank
10-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Maybe we should look into having our Dline hold the offensive tackle on a stunt so that Clady ended up getting called for holding... That's one way to break down pass blocking schemes. It was later in the game, Clady goes to help against the end taking an inside rush, the DE holds Clady, who ended up reaching out to grab the tackle coming around. Tennessee has a great pass rush, no doubt, but when they use those kind of tactics to gain the advantage, and not get called for them, then should we buy in to that kind of crap too?

yeah, it was a pretty clear case of defensive holding, and clady did the only thing to protect orton that he could. very smart by clady, very bad call by the refs.

rcsodak
10-04-2010, 06:19 AM

Expect more of it, because once they moved the ref from the D-side to the O-side, most acknowledged this would be the case. More holding calls on the O, and the D getting away with more holding.

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

That, and have gloves every week that are the same color of the opposing team.

rcsodak
10-04-2010, 06:21 AM

Is it just me, or did their Dlinemen, for the most part, look skinny?

Did they have different shoulder pads or what? Other than the middle of the line, it looked like they were all 240#.

BroncoNut
10-04-2010, 07:12 AM
The guy laughing afterwards was insulting. It should have fired the guys up. Cut block some of those large mofos, and they could change their tune. I really dislike cut blocking, but sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. If they want to play dirty, give it right back. It will make them a whole lot more honest.

effin eh.

Spiritguy
10-04-2010, 10:08 AM
"They did a good job game-planning on us," Kuper said "We've got to step our game up as a group and take some pressure off the pass game and get this run game going."

Maybe this game was needed for the linemen to come together as a group and own their responsibility in the run game.

robert ethan
10-04-2010, 10:30 AM
They should have brought Logan Mankins from New England, not Laurence Maroney.

Tempus Fugit
10-04-2010, 11:44 AM
They should have brought Logan Mankins from New England, not Laurence Maroney.

Mankins is a hell of a player, no doubt. That would still leave the line with 3 first year starters and an LT recovering from injury, though. Denver, and the Denver fans, will just have to fight through bad times with this group.