PDA

View Full Version : Late Orton TD pass rallies Broncos for 26-20 win over Tennessee

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2010, 05:48 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16242898

NASHVILLE — Even if Kyle Orton had been the least of the Broncos' problems, he needed this. He needed to come through in the fourth quarter with the game in the balance.

The Broncos quarterback who eats up passing yardage with greater voracity than Denver's "D" ate up Tennessee running back Chris Johnson on Sunday needed to show that besides playing well in defeat and playing well in a route, he could also play well when fingernails have been chewed to the nub.

With a calm slide away from pressure and a mighty heave downfield, Orton delivered. He, and his tenacious defense and accurate kicking by Matt Prater gave the Broncos a come-from-behind, 26-20 victory against the Tennessee Titans.

The upset win — Tennessee was favored by as much as a touchdown — evened the Broncos' record at 2-2.

Orton completed 35 of 50 passes for 341 yards and two touchdowns but he's put up huge numbers before. Entering this game, Orton's worst statistical quarter had been the fourth, where he had an 81.9 passer rating compared to 107.0 in the first; 97.6 in the second and 115.5 in the third.

And it looked like the fourth quarter would bite him again when he threw an interception to kill one promising drive, and failed to deliver on a fourth-down throw from his own 4 yard line on another.

But thanks to Broncos' defense that held the Titans to just three first downs in the second half — and one in the fourth quarter — Orton got the ball back near midfield with a bit more than 2 minutes remaining, his team down 20-16.

At first, it appeared the Broncos would once again self destruct, as left tackle Ryan Clady was flagged for holding and Orton was sacked for the sixth time.

But on secone-and-25 from his own 50, Orton slid away from a potential sack. Freed to load up his throw, Orton spotted Jabar Gaffney running down the right sideline a good two steps ahead of his defender. Although, Titans safety Chris Hope came over for help, Gaffney sped past him, too.

As the ball came down at the goal line, Hope attacked Gaffney well before the ball. Yellow-colored laundry filled the field and the pass interference penalty gave the Broncos first and goal at the 1.

Luckily for the Broncos, they drew an illegal formation penalty. That eliminated their putrid running game — backs Laurence Maroney and Correll Buckhalter combined for 8 yards on 17 carries — from their play-call options.

Orton from the shotgun hit Buckhalter in the open on the right flat and the veteran was in for the game-winning score.

The Broncos recovered Prater's quirky bloop kickoff, which set up Prater fourth field goal.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
10-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Kyle Orton is a machine this season - he's made me a fan in short order. Considering I was on his case most of last season, not an easy thing to do.

Broncos showed some great resolve today, hopefully we can continue ironing out the kinks and get some semblance of a rushing attack moving forward.

horsepig
10-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Wow! Fun game to watch.

Tned
10-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Kyle Orton is a machine this season - he's made me a fan in short order. Considering I was on his case most of last season, not an easy thing to do.

Broncos showed some great resolve today, hopefully we can continue ironing out the kinks and get some semblance of a rushing attack moving forward.

He's playing pretty darn good.

atwater27
10-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Orton is doing great. Our running game is crap. I LOVE that Eddie was involved this week, but want to see more out of Bay Bay instead of Lloyd and Gaffney. I just don't like those guys. I hope Knowshawn is ready next week, we need him in the worst way.

The D is surprising me. Good, much needed win today. It will do a world of confidence building going forward.

ikillz0mbies
10-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Since I haven't been able to watch the last couple of games, who's starting on the offensive line? The running game lately has been horrible and I don't know who to blame. But a good win today thanks to the defense and Orton.

Tned
10-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Since I haven't been able to watch the last couple of games, who's starting on the offensive line? The running game lately has been horrible and I don't know who to blame. But a good win today thanks to the defense and Orton.

Today was Clady, Daniels, Walton, Kuper and Harris.

The running problems have been part line, part backs. Today, mostly the line. Last week, both. Maroney has been horrible as a runner, Buckhalter a little better. Hopefully, Moreno will be back soon, along with the line playing better.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-03-2010, 07:44 PM

Today it was:

Ryan Clady - LT
Stanley Daniels (who beat out Zane Beadles in camp) - LG
JD Walton - C
Chris Kuper - RG
Ryan Harris - RT

This is probably going to be our normal starting lineup for the season. All of the starters played today. There really aren't any excuses for why we can't run the ball better, we just can't.

Personally, I think our O-line coach should be fired. Maybe our RBs coach, too if he's to blame for this. Either way, 19 yards is just plain embarrassing. If we can't run the ball, we won't make the playoffs no matter how well Orton is playing. Even Manning, Brees, and Brady need to get helped out by their running game from time to time.

Benetto
10-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Thread title changed for accuracy...

"Late interference call on 2 and 25 sets up Broncos for 26-20 win over Tennessee."

ikillz0mbies
10-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I just read that Orton got sacked 6 times?! Is that true? Wow....I expected more from the line. I guess it's good to see Ryan Harris back....but the line has to play much better to help out a dead running game. When Orton is your leading rusher in the game, there is a HUGE problem. The offense becomes somewhat one dimensional.

And isn't the offensive line coach this year last year's tight end coach??

sneakers
10-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Wow! Fun game to watch.

I wish I didn't have to work tonight so I could have woken up early to watch.