PDA

View Full Version : Ayers played lights out, and the D is playing great.

broncobryce
10-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Loving what I'm seeing from the defense so far. Without Doom and Goodman. Ayers is looking to be a great pick, and Vickerson is beasting so far. He started over Mcbean today, and they hold Chris Johnson to jack squat. Excellent win.

Shazam!
10-03-2010, 05:22 PM
...and Doom isnt even on the field. Shocking theyre playing like they are.

Ziggy
10-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Yeah I need to give props to Wink. I was on his case after the 2nd game. Regardless of not having a pass rush, a offense that can run the ball or score in the red zone, and no special team production, the Broncos have been in every game in the 4th quarter. They went into the offseason focusing on stopping the run, and they have. Great job Wink.

Northman
10-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah I need to give props to Wink. I was on his case after the 2nd game. Regardless of not having a pass rush, a offense that can run the ball or score in the red zone, and no special team production, the Broncos have been in every game in the 4th quarter. They went into the offseason focusing on stopping the run, and they have. Great job Wink.

Indeed. I saw the one big run by Johnson and was not happy. But i knew this would be a more fair test against the run than last week vs the Colts. Good job by the defense and with Doom coming back next year we could be SCARY.

Elevation inc
10-03-2010, 05:40 PM
ayers, doom, haggan, DJ is a excellent LB core...if vickerson/fields/williams/thomas/bannan can hold up on the DL we could be very good for a few years.....thomas/vickerson both young still.......we do need a NT and DE to develop though for sure....

Medford Bronco
10-03-2010, 05:41 PM
They suprised me today. Kudus to the D. :salute:

next week will be a test as well vs a very good NYJ team that seems to be clicking on all cylinders(sp) now.

Ziggy
10-03-2010, 06:07 PM
In consecutive weeks, this defense has taken Chris Johnson, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark pretty much out of the games.

Elevation inc
10-03-2010, 06:08 PM
In consecutive weeks, this defense has taken Chris Johnson, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark pretty much out of the games.

lol now we just need to keep it up.....

Ziggy
10-03-2010, 06:24 PM

lol now we just need to keep it up.....

It shows me that the defense is actually successfully gameplanning for offenses this year rather than play the same D every week regardless. It should pay dividends in the second half of the season.

honz
10-03-2010, 06:36 PM
It shows me that the defense is actually successfully gameplanning for offenses this year rather than play the same D every week regardless. It should pay dividends in the second half of the season.

Agreed. Just like it paid dividends late last season. :shocked:

spikerman
10-03-2010, 06:37 PM
They suprised me today. Kudus to the D. :salute:

next week will be a test as well vs a very good NYJ team that seems to be clicking on all cylinders(sp) now. They played very well. I think they play the Ravens next week, though.

horsepig
10-03-2010, 06:46 PM
I've always been a little down on DJ over the years, but he's playing lights out so far this tear.

horsepig
10-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Oh, and yeah, Ayers is starting to show up big.

DenBronx
10-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Ayers was a force tonight. This was by far his most dominate game. He shut down one of the leagues best RB's today. If he continues to play at this level he will become a pro bowler. Can't wait to see what him and Dume can do next year together.

Much respect to Ayers. I've been critical of him at times but he is proving me wrong and that's what I want to see.

honz
10-03-2010, 07:06 PM
I'd still like to see Ayers get after the QB a little more, but he has really been a force against the run all year.

shank
10-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Indeed. I saw the one big run by Johnson and was not happy. But i knew this would be a more fair test against the run than last week vs the Colts. Good job by the defense and with Doom coming back next year we could be SCARY.

the big run we gave up was when javon ringer was in the game. i'm guessing our defense was favoring the pass while johnson was out of the lineup.

johnson's longest run was for 8 damned yards. amazing job by our D to contain one of the biggest playmakers in the league.

ikillz0mbies
10-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I couldn't catch the game. I know the highlights on the internet won't show how well the D played today. But if Ayers and the defense played as well as most have said, then I'm totally excited for what the season is going to bring. However the offense.....it does worry me a bit.

Bosco
10-03-2010, 08:14 PM

Indeed. Wink started out pretty rough but has steadily improved since then. I think he's going to be a very good defensive coordinator in time.

I Eat Staples
10-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Ayers played well, but we need a pass rush. We have absolutely none. We still give up too many 3rd down conversions.

broncobryce
10-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Ayers played well, but we need a pass rush. We have absolutely none. We still give up too many 3rd down conversions.

Yeah, but as long as we don't give up points I don't care.

Northman
10-03-2010, 08:36 PM
the big run we gave up was when javon ringer was in the game. i'm guessing our defense was favoring the pass while johnson was out of the lineup.

johnson's longest run was for 8 damned yards. amazing job by our D to contain one of the biggest playmakers in the league.

Was it Ringer? My bad.

Either way, you just dont want to make that kind of thing a habit. I mean, if Ringer scores on that play its the difference in the game.

I Eat Staples
10-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Yeah, but as long as we don't give up points I don't care.

If we don't start putting pressure on opposing QBs and getting off the field on 3rd downs we're going to give up points.

Lonestar
10-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Ayers was a force tonight. This was by far his most dominate game. He shut down one of the leagues best RB's today. If he continues to play at this level he will become a pro bowler. Can't wait to see what him and Dume can do next year together.

Much respect to Ayers. I've been critical of him at times but he is proving me wrong and that's what I want to see.

:salute: now if only the others that were calling for his head as well as Joshes head for drafting would fess up.

I'd still like to see Ayers get after the QB a little more, but he has really been a force against the run all year.

I suspect that the concern of the running back was a lot higher than VY beating us. Had CJ got on a roll we would have been up the creek with out a paddle.

Take way the run and they become one dimensional and the others rushing the passer have more chance of him making a mistake.

rcsodak
10-03-2010, 10:00 PM

Ringer's big run, you mean? He's 5'9". Short rb's tend to get lost behind the LOS until they're past the first wave.
Johnson, the best running back in the NFL last year, had a long of 8yds. The 1st time, by the way, he hasn't broke off a 10+ run.

Northman
10-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Ringer's big run, you mean? He's 5'9". Short rb's tend to get lost behind the LOS until they're past the first wave.
Johnson, the best running back in the NFL last year, had a long of 8yds. The 1st time, by the way, he hasn't broke off a 10+ run.

Yea, i addressed that.

broncobryce
10-03-2010, 10:10 PM
If we don't start putting pressure on opposing QBs and getting off the field on 3rd downs we're going to give up points.

Titans Third Down Efficiency 3/12 - 25%

:confused:

rcsodak
10-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Indeed. Wink started out pretty rough but has steadily improved since then. I think he's going to be a very good defensive coordinator in time.
McD threw his arm around Wink...I think he's happy, so far.

Keep the game close, into the 4th.....so far so good.

gobroncsnv
10-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah, so far, I like our scheme for WHO we have, but I'd love to see more DL pressure, 'bout 10 years running now. But no doubt, Ayers is coming around. Was kind of funny though, did you hear at the end of the game, Young trying his Hail Marys, and we had One guy rushing (Ayers), and he was kind of hanging back from the Oline, and some said "get AFTER him, AYERS!!!!"... just seemed kinda funny, 1 guy rushing against 5...

underrated29
10-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Guys, the defense did play well. But I would not say great. We basically put everything we had into stopping the run, and forcing VY to beat us. WHile we did shut down the run and VY did not beat us. The good teams, the complete teams will.

I hate to bring the rain on the parade, but I am not all that impressed with the defense. I think it it ok.

And I already have next week at Balt as a loss. But now I am shi***ng my pants about it. Flacco, mcgahee, boldin etc are going to tear right through us. One thing further is EVERYONE knows Kyle sucks when under pressure, and does not like pressure and throws the ball early, and badly when he sees it coming. Balt is going to dial up the heat big time, and we have to counter that, maybe with a bunch and bunch and bunch of screens or quick slants. I do not know, but I peronally do not think we were so fantastic on defense as IMO VY is so so.

Slick
10-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I'd love to see this defense with a healthy Doom and Goodman, with Cox playing nickel instead of Jones.

Ayers is definitely improving. I think he was talking shit too. A couple times when they ran Johnson his way with little success I swore I heard him say "Don't run that shit on this side!"

I thought we were screwed when Elvis went down. They've surprised me.

broncobryce
10-03-2010, 10:31 PM
I'd love to see this defense with a healthy Doom and Goodman, with Cox playing nickel instead of Jones.

Ayers is definitely improving. I think he was talking shit too. A couple times when they ran Johnson his way with little success I swore I heard him say "Don't run that shit on this side!"

I saw that. I thought he was saying "you can't run that shit everytime!" because it looked like they were trying that same play a lot. But whatever he said it was awesome.

Lonestar
10-03-2010, 11:06 PM

I knew that Ayers was getting close last year at rushing the QB.

There were 4 maybe 6 plays that I can remember him just about to get the QB when doom or someone else got them late in the season. from the other side.

Having him play the run well is an added bonus.

DenBronx
10-04-2010, 12:10 AM
I knew that Ayers was getting close last year at rushing the QB.

There were 4 maybe 6 plays that I can remember him just about to get the QB when doom or someone else got them late in the season. from the other side.

Having him play the run well is an added bonus.

The thing that seperates Ayers from Dume is his ability to stuff the run as well as pressure the QB. So, teams in the future I think will avoid the run to the right because of Ayers ability to stop it. Now that he is learning that he is a man and not a boy he is also bumrushing the linemen to get to the QB. I think I saw him throw someone like a ragdoll on one play today. He might not be as quick as Dume but he's stronger.

With Dume in the game our defense is going to look sick. As long as everyone does their job, including Wink.

Week by week though...we shall see how good or bad we are in the next two weeks.

DJ is also playing out of his mind.

CrazyHorse
10-04-2010, 02:34 AM
I'm not impressed with our pass defense. We aren't getting any pressure. This could be a problem the whole year. Maybe next year with Doom, Ayers, and possibly Jarvis Moss on situational plays it could be really good. Our run defense has been great so far though.

Elevation inc
10-04-2010, 03:01 AM
I'm not impressed with our pass defense. We aren't getting any pressure. This could be a problem the whole year. Maybe next year with Doom, Ayers, and possibly Jarvis Moss on situational plays it could be really good. Our run defense has been great so far though.

no jarvis moss sucks beyond belief at all he does and will never improve.....he is a complete waste of roster space and i pray when Darrell Reid is Healthy at the end of the month...we re-sign him and let moss go......

rcsodak
10-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Yea, i addressed that.

And I expanded on it.

:rolleyes:

rcsodak
10-04-2010, 06:47 AM
no jarvis moss sucks beyond belief at all he does and will never improve.....he is a complete waste of roster space and i pray when Darrell Reid is Healthy at the end of the month...we re-sign him and let moss go......

LMAO!

Thank you for your 1-per-thread-Reid-devotion-post. :D

Elevation inc
10-04-2010, 06:52 AM
LMAO!

Thank you for your 1-per-thread-Reid-devotion-post. :D

have to make it known:beer:

moss sucks and reid can actually sack the Qb, play the run and is a key special teams cog, something we could use much more than watching moss on his but on special teams all the time.....and never helping the defense out....lol

BroncoNut
10-04-2010, 07:07 AM
I know he's taken some heat the last couple/few seasons, but DJ Williams is often a stud on his pursuit and finish. I've been more often impressed with him than not these first 4

Elevation inc
10-04-2010, 07:12 AM
I know he's taken some heat the last couple/few seasons, but DJ Williams is often a stud on his pursuit and finish. I've been more often impressed with him than not these first 4

DJ is playing much better all around this year, the guys up front probally help a bit to......

BroncoNut
10-04-2010, 07:14 AM
DJ is playing much better all around this year, the guys up front probally help a bit to......

yeah, i think alot of it has had to do with that and being keyed into not the best position. All around, impressive athlete, me thinks.

gobroncsnv
10-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Well, let me make sure that I'm clear about where I stand... Wink is using the guys we have to the best of their abilities, and we've been IN every game played so far. The way we kept the Colts scoring down, and the way we bottled up Johnson yesterday, they are playing well. I'm just really wishing for what could have been if we'd had Dooms and Ayers on the field together. But I definitely see us with room to grow, because we have not arrived yet. We'll need much more pressure to get it done on a consistent basis. Kind of like with Coyer, I'd LOVE to see what Wink could do given a full quiver of arrows to shoot with Doom back in there.

BroncoNut
10-04-2010, 07:21 AM
^ saluted for the "quiver of arrows" analogy. I like that.

CrazyHorse
10-04-2010, 08:05 AM

Even as a situational pass rusher?

Elevation inc
10-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Even as a situational pass rusher?

yes dude is downright horrible....he has a sack on the year but it wasnt even him who was responsible for it guy just got pressured right into his lap.....he sucks on special teams, cant play teh run and is just overall crappy, he has been beat out by hunter a 4-3 DE from the lions......enough said, cut the bum already and re-sign reid:lol:

SOCALORADO.
10-04-2010, 08:36 AM
This win is all on Wink. He has really come up with a solid game plan every week.
He also has players who are average playing at very high levels.
But also having someone like VY back there can help your team.
Hes a very hot/cold player.
I like that DEN has decided to sell out in stopping the run. And i like Winks ideology, however i think DEN still needs to focus on getting 2 LBs, a NT and a 3-4 DE high in the next draft. In the top 4 rounds.
Maybe another RB in sprinkled in there somewhere or in FA.
The defense needs some serious depth and an injection of talent.
But yes, they are flying around out there and thats good to see.

SOCALORADO.
10-04-2010, 08:37 AM
yes dude is downright horrible....he has a sack on the year but it wasnt even him who was responsible for it guy just got pressured right into his lap.....he sucks on special teams, cant play teh run and is just overall crappy, he has been beat out by hunter a 4-3 DE from the lions......enough said, cut the bum already and re-sign reid:lol:

How moss is still on this team just baffles the mind.

underrated29
10-04-2010, 10:53 AM
ideology, however i think DEN still needs to focus on getting 2 LBs, a NT and a 3-4 DE high in the next draft. In the top 4 rounds.

Oh my gosh yes!

I still think DE is the highest need, then LB, then NT, however if our top 4 picks

(remember we have
2 x 2
3)
are drafted in those rounds I will be happy as a clam.

LTC Pain
10-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Oh my gosh yes!

I still think DE is the highest need, then LB, then NT, however if our top 4 picks

(remember we have
2 x 2
3)
are drafted in those rounds I will be happy as a clam.

Next draft priority in the first four rounds are 3x4 DE (2 if available), NT, LB and bruiser RB.

Lonestar
10-04-2010, 11:44 AM
The thing that seperates Ayers from Dume is his ability to stuff the run as well as pressure the QB. So, teams in the future I think will avoid the run to the right because of Ayers ability to stop it. Now that he is learning that he is a man and not a boy he is also bumrushing the linemen to get to the QB. I think I saw him throw someone like a ragdoll on one play today. He might not be as quick as Dume but he's stronger.

With Dume in the game our defense is going to look sick. As long as everyone does their job, including Wink.

Week by week though...we shall see how good or bad we are in the next two weeks.

DJ is also playing out of his mind.

I agree with most of that and WHILE I did not see this last game, I tend to think that DJ is the consummate WSLB in a 4-3. I just have not seen enuff of him to believe he is a MLB .

By definition I"M saying MLB is in your face and clogs the LOS does not allow the RB into our space. Now what I know about DJ he is great about pursuit and tackling from behind the RB, But can't say I remember seeing him ever tackle for a loss or at the LOS. Maybe Because I have not seen a lot of the games but do I do not remember any

I hope I am wrong.

I Eat Staples
10-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Titans Third Down Efficiency 3/12 - 25%

:confused:

Didn't know that, it felt like they converted more. But that's a welcome sign of improvement then, because we struggled in that area over the first 3 weeks.

DenBronx
10-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I agree with most of that and WHILE I did not see this last game, I tend to think that DJ is the consummate WSLB in a 4-3. I just have not seen enuff of him to believe he is a MLB .

By definition I"M saying MLB is in your face and clogs the LOS does not allow the RB into our space. Now what I know about DJ he is great about pursuit and tackling from behind the RB, But can't say I remember seeing him ever tackle for a loss or at the LOS. Maybe Because I have not seen a lot of the games but do I do not remember any

I hope I am wrong.

Well in this style of defense he's been seen in the backfield alot this year. He looks real good where he's at. On the last drive for Tenn it was Ayers and DJ that shut down CJ in the backfield. A couple of those were for 1 or 2 yard losses.

broncofaninfla
10-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Good play by the defense, good scheme in place to neutralize Tenn. Ayers is starting to show up and how telling is it that our best defensive linemen was cut by Detroit right before the season started? He's playing lights out betterthan any of the high dollar free agents that were brought in to bolster the line.

dogfish
10-04-2010, 07:13 PM
ayers has been beasting in run support. . . his ability to play the strong side and consistently set the edge looked to be one of the main reasons we picked him over players like orakpo (at 12, obviously), everette brown, sintim, barwin, michael johnson, etc-- and it looks to be paying off, at least in that phase of the game. . .

i don't know if he has enough closing burst to equal orakpo or matthews as a pass rusher, but we already have a stud rusher-- looks like we're going to have a really nice pair of bookend OLBs going forward. . .

rcsodak
10-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Good play by the defense, good scheme in place to neutralize Tenn. Ayers is starting to show up and how telling is it that our best defensive linemen was cut by Detroit right before the season started? He's playing lights out betterthan any of the high dollar free agents that were brought in to bolster the line.

Don't know how "telling" it is, really. Completely different scheme. Just means he's possibly a better fit in a 34. :rolleyes:

Same could be said for Hunter...and Mays, if he ever breaks the lineup.

No different that Doom killed in the 34, compared to his 43 days. Yes, he did have some success, but nothing like last year.

rcsodak
10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
ayers has been beasting in run support. . . his ability to play the strong side and consistently set the edge looked to be one of the main reasons we picked him over players like orakpo (at 12, obviously), everette brown, sintim, barwin, michael johnson, etc-- and it looks to be paying off, at least in that phase of the game. . .

i don't know if he has enough closing burst to equal orakpo or matthews as a pass rusher, but we already have a stud rusher-- looks like we're going to have a really nice pair of bookend OLBs going forward. . .

And water is wet, and ....... :D

Elevation inc
10-05-2010, 03:57 AM

for sure...going to be a very nice tandem....i like hunter as well i think he is a good back up to ayers at SOLB(hunter is solid against the run), we could probally get a guy like herzlich, bruce miller or adrian robinsion in the draft for WOLB...and then we can boot moss the hell outta town, and then we would be set at OLB maybe get a ILB as well and our LB core now becomes a very big strength......