PDA

View Full Version : Should The Politics and Religion (P&R) Forums be Opt-In?

Tned
07-31-2008, 07:23 AM
I have had a number of suggestions over the months for P&R to be opt in. Some people would rather not see Religious or Political threads popping up when they click "New Posts", as they don't want to be involved in those discussions, but feel drawn in when the threads show up.

Further, the case has been made that sometimes people intentionally title their P&R threads (especially Politics) to take shots at those with opposing views, so even people that don't go into the thread, have to deal with inflammatory thread titles/subjects showing up when they click "New Posts".

So, backing up a moment. For those not familiar with exactly how the Opt-In forums work. We can designate certain forums Opt-In, as we have done with the Lounge. If you have not opted in, you will see the forum exists, but if you enter the forum, no posts will show up. More importantly, if you click "New Posts" or "Todays Posts", you will not see any of the threads/posts in forums that are Opt-In that you have not joined.

However, once you join (or Opt-In) to any or all of these Opt-In forum, then both when you enter the forum directly, or if you click "New Posts", you will see the new threads/posts, just as you do now.

There are some pretty good arguments for making these forums Opt-In.

First and foremost, this is a football forum, and many football forums don't allow ANY religion or political talk, because they can often become very contentious.

Second, many people simply don't want to or like talking about Religion or Politics and feel they are hit with threads on these topics every time they hit "New Posts", even though they are here to talk about the Broncos.

So, here we go again. I need feedback from as many people as possible. Do you want things to stay as they are now, or turn Politics and/or Religion into Opt-In forums, so that people will not see posts in those forums until they 'choose' to Opt-In and be part of those parts of the message board?

SR
07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
No. If it bothers someone to see those threads, they can choose not to go in them.

Dreadnought
07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
I don't see any downside to making it opt-in. I don't necessarily "get" the objections, but I am a politics junky so its not surprising that I wouldn't.

NightTrainLayne
07-31-2008, 09:26 AM
I don't see any downside to making it opt-in. I don't necessarily "get" the objections, but I am a politics junky so its not surprising that I wouldn't.

Second that. This is a football forum so I would hate to lose someone who is just here for football because they get caught up in the P&R side, or get offended by it.

However, I don't know if this would really solve the problem. Arguments can still spill over from time to time.

Arkansas Bronco
07-31-2008, 09:27 AM
I hate politics. I dont care for it, Im not a registered voter and never will be (keeps me off jury duty). On religion I have my beliefs and I also never open these threads because if they throw my beliefs under the bus it kinda pisses me off. Anyway thats my input.

Davii
07-31-2008, 09:28 AM
I don't see any negatives with making it opt-in. So, call this one on favor I guess, although it doesn't really matter to me either way.

GrayWolf
07-31-2008, 10:10 AM
I am new, but why would anyone want to be part an idiotic thread called 'How come our military is so stupid?' I don't want to offend the person who started the thread, maybe it was said tongue in cheek and I didn't get the joke. But most old people don't understand humor on the web. I vote for making it opt in please.

KCL
07-31-2008, 10:18 AM
It doesn't matter to me Tned....You're the boss man...:salute:
I am of the opinion that if you are not interested do not go into the
forums!Thats pretty simple really and one I don't think anyone can
argue with (but I could be wrong on that).

Of course I am a Chiefs fan....so why am I a member here anyway?;)

Dreadnought
07-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Of course I am a Chiefs fan....so why am I a member here anyway?;)

Because you are smart enough to want to hang with Bronco fans instead, thats why :D

GrayWolf
07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Because you are smart enough to want to hang with Bronco fans instead, thats why :D

Smart and KC fan at the same time???????????

Davii
07-31-2008, 10:23 AM

I think she's a geographical fan. Only a KC fan because of her location.

GrayWolf
07-31-2008, 10:24 AM

I have plenty to learn here.

Dreadnought

I know, its a tough concept for anyone new, but she really is a first rate poster

BroncoJoe
I think it makes sense to make it opt-in. I can certainly see how some people looking for football talk could be offended by some of the titles and discussions happening in the P&R section.

tubby
07-31-2008, 10:27 AM
I know, its a tough concept for anyone new, but she really is a first rate poster

Says who? :rolleyes:

KCL
07-31-2008, 10:29 AM

:lol:

You 2 mods need to get :focus:

KCL
07-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Says who? :rolleyes:

Says me, thats who!
EDIT-I kid...tubby you can stay!

GrayWolf
07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Says me.....thats who!
EDIT-I kid...tubby you can stay!

And a sense of humor. You are teaching so much more about what a Chief fan can be.

underrated29
07-31-2008, 10:36 AM
really i think its pretty stupid if you ask me. Sometimes people need to accept the fact the others have different opinions and their opinions can be polar opposites. Knowing this one should know you can never change their mind. So when you see a title that baits you- forget about it. It might make you mad as it totally goes against what you think or what you believe but who cares! Its their opinion and they wont change and neither will you, so why get mad.

So to me i think its quite ridiculous, but like NTL? said, i would hate to lose some posters here just because they have trouble accepting things or seeing things they dont want to see. So if we need to opt in- no big deal, it takes like 10 seconds to do that. Woop dee doo.

GEM
07-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Just make it opt in. It's not a too hard to opt in and it will keep those who don't want to see it happy.

Don't sweat the small stuff T. You have enough to deal with around here with all of us pain in the asses. ;)

Davii
07-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Just make it opt in. It's not a too hard to opt in and it will keep those who don't want to see it happy.

Don't sweat the small stuff T. You have enough to deal with around here with all of us pain in the asses. ;)

Especially the female posters. Malcontents. :tsk:

KCL
07-31-2008, 10:43 AM

Yea GEM I agree! I guess that would be better! Tned does a good job here!

Dreadnought
07-31-2008, 10:54 AM

Yep. They generate 98% of our workload, for sure :laugh:

turftoad
07-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Opt in works for me.

GEM
07-31-2008, 10:59 AM

Watch it mother trucker.

:D

We just like to keep you fellas on your toes.

GEM
07-31-2008, 11:00 AM

And you love every second of it.

Most of your workload is Clay anyways. That guy is trouble. :tsk:

Bronco Bible
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
I say lets make it opt in:coffee:

Northman
07-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Watch it mother trucker.

We just like to keep you fellas on your toes.

Or keep you off your.........nevermind. Mind fell in the gutter. :lol:

Day1BroncoFan
07-31-2008, 11:50 AM
I say if it bothers some people then make it opt-in. I have no preference either way for myself because I will opt-in.

GEM
07-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Or keep you off your.........nevermind. Mind fell in the gutter. :lol:

Forgiven.

Ish happens.

OB
07-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Opt in -tneds arguments make sense - my first thought was like SR's but then when i read about the new posts/titles etc it does make sense - its a luxury that we have it - i would hate to see it cause problems

Requiem / The Dagda
07-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Make it opt-in.

Slick
07-31-2008, 02:34 PM
opt-in please. Somedays I just want to talk about football or how drunk I am with my internet buddies, and it would be nice to hit new posts and not have to wade through the P & R. It gives people the ability to opt in or out whenever they want I'm assuming.

Tned
07-31-2008, 03:10 PM
I am of the opinion that if you are not interested do not go into the
forums!Thats pretty simple really and one I don't think anyone can
argue with (but I could be wrong on that).

Just for clarification, KCL, the issue is primarily the "New Posts" link at the top. While a person can avoid going into Politics or Religion, when they hit "New Posts" they are forced to read the titles. Now, they can still choose not to enter the threads, but they can't avoid reading the thread titles.

Out of curiousity, I hit new posts and here are some of the ones that come up (from P&R):

Right to lifers going to far?
How come our military is so stupid?
What IS the Holy Spirit...?
The Brangelina-fication Of The Obamas
Static Poll Numbers Bad News for Obama
Study: Media Far More Biased Against Obama than McCain
When did you find God?
Playing the Devil's Advocate to Abortion.

I think for some, they try very hard to avoid discussing topics of religion or politics, because it is often a quick way to lose friends, whether internet or real. They might not want to come to a football forum and see discusssions about God or abortion, threads about Obama, mccain or media bias.

However, when they are hit with threads like the ones above every time they hit "New Posts" they have to either ignore them (even though they see them), choose to participate or leave the forum to avoid it.

While I doubt too many people leave the forum over seeing these types of threads, I know a number of people have expressed their desire to either have them hidden from "New Posts" or eliminated from the message board completely.

One note, when I was searching online for lists of words to put in the word censor (what replaces curses with ****), almost all of them contained God and other religous words in them, because on many forums they simply don't allow religous talk, because it can be offensive or overpowering for some, and it can also get out of control.

Anyway, that is starting to get off of the the clarification I wanted to make, which was that even if people choose not to enter the P&R forums, they still get hit with the topics/thread titles every time they hit "New Posts".

Retired_Member_001
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
If you don't want to talk Religions and Politics, then don't click on the thread.

There's no real problem with making it Opt-In though. I understand that if something appears on "New Posts", you may get caught in and start talking about it when you don't really want to .

aberdien
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
No. If it bothers someone to see those threads, they can choose not to go in them.

Indeed.

KCL
07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
I understand Tned....yes make it an opt in and everyone is happy! :elefant:

Tned
07-31-2008, 05:18 PM
I understand Tned....yes make it an opt in and everyone is happy! :elefant:

I won't be happy. I'm never happy, just a plain 'ole unhappy demeanor... :sad:

KCL
07-31-2008, 05:24 PM
I won't be happy. I'm never happy, just a plain 'ole unhappy demeanor... :sad:

Ahhhhh Tned...is there something us ladies here can do for you to
put a smile on your face? :D

LordTrychon
07-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Absolutely.

If you can make some people more happy without others having to sacrifice anything at all really... seems like a great idea.

Only counter argument I can see is 'People shouldn't be babies'. :laugh:

Tned
07-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Ahhhhh Tned...is there something us ladies here can do for you to
put a smile on your face? :D

Ummm, errrrr, Uhhhh....... :D

frauschieze
07-31-2008, 09:13 PM

I would like to see this statistically broken down. I believe there to be gross miscalculations used to come to this conclusion.

And Tned.....there is no bad side to making P&R opt in. Just do it. It's won't hurt anything.

Rick
07-31-2008, 11:04 PM
I vote opt in.

Those that are not liking to see the titles will never have to worry about that and those that like to participate in the politics and religion just have to spend a few precious seconds once to enable the forums for their account.

Both sides happy and no one any real reason to gripe.

BroncoWave
08-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Might as well make it opt in. Hell, I'm surprised we haven't gotten P&R shut down with all the personal attacks and things of the like thrown around in there! :laugh:

NightTrainLayne
08-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Might as well make it opt in. Hell, I'm surprised we haven't gotten P&R shut down with all the personal attacks and things of the like thrown around in there! :laugh:

It's been pretty contentious this week.

BroncoJoe
08-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Shut up, lefty.

Dreadnought
08-01-2008, 10:05 AM
I would like to see this statistically broken down. I believe there to be gross miscalculations used to come to this conclusion.

Hey, I was a History Major. I don't do Math very well at all. I am entirely capable of gross miscalculations...

As to the actual Topic, I really think we have a solid consensus here in favor of Opt-In now, FWIW.

BroncoWave
08-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Shut up, lefty.

I don't consider being called lefty an insult at all! :D

Now if you called me righty... :throwrock:

KCL
08-01-2008, 10:09 AM

Shhhhhhh

Broncos Mtnman
08-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Hey, I was a History Major. I don't do Math very well at all. I am entirely capable of gross miscalculations...

As to the actual Topic, I really think we have a solid consensus here in favor of Opt-In now, FWIW.

98% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Day1BroncoFan
08-01-2008, 08:12 PM
98% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I'll double that! :elefant:

slim
08-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Well, I don't really care. But if it is moved to opt-in I must insist that no one post naked pics of Ann C. I don't think I could take it.

NameUsedBefore
08-02-2008, 04:21 AM
I don't mind either way. The only thing I care about as far as politics go is that it is not carried out of that arena. A bit of rivalry over ideas is never harmful; it's usually enlightening, in fact. What is harmful, though, is when you carry that rivalry into other topics. I'd compare it to a relationship where one party screwed up the dishes. Talk about it when you do the dishes the next time; don't talk about it when you're shopping for shoes and make a big scene of it. It's not only unnecessary and out of place, it's incredibly awkward for everyone else having to listen to two people yell at each other about dishes in a shoe store.

LordTrychon
08-02-2008, 04:51 AM
I don't mind either way. The only thing I care about as far as politics go is that it is not carried out of that arena. A bit of rivalry over ideas is never harmful; it's usually enlightening, in fact. What is harmful, though, is when you carry that rivalry into other topics. I'd compare it to a relationship where one party screwed up the dishes. Talk about it when you do the dishes the next time; don't talk about it when you're shopping for shoes and make a big scene of it. It's not only unnecessary and out of place, it's incredibly awkward for everyone else having to listen to two people yell at each other about dishes in a shoe store.

Well, it wouldn't have been an issue at all if you'd done the damn dishes to begin with. :mad:

Tned
08-02-2008, 06:58 AM

I agree with LT, if you did the dishes right in the first place...

Seriously, you make an excellent point. It's a little off topic for this thread, BUT an excellant point and everyone should work harder about not allowing P&R differences to spill into other areas.

atwater27
08-04-2008, 03:36 AM
I have had a number of suggestions over the months for P&R to be opt in. Some people would rather not see Religious or Political threads popping up when they click "New Posts", as they don't want to be involved in those discussions, but feel drawn in when the threads show up.

Further, the case has been made that sometimes people intentionally title their P&R threads (especially Politics) to take shots at those with opposing views, so even people that don't go into the thread, have to deal with inflammatory thread titles/subjects showing up when they click "New Posts".

Why should we pander to those who have to have someone else hold their hand while they pee?

Den21vsBal19
08-04-2008, 03:47 AM
Personally, I can't see any downside to making P&R opt in :noidea:

Tned
08-04-2008, 11:44 AM
As there is no real downside (other than search engines will not catalog the posts) in making P & R opt in, based on the feedback I have received here, I will make Politics and Religon to seperate opt in forums. I'll get it done sometime this week. Not sure exactly when.

Thanks for the feedback.

BroncoJoe
08-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks, Tned. Could you post a general message once you have done this? I may forget to opt-in.

Tned
08-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks, Tned. Could you post a general message once you have done this? I may forget to opt-in.

Yes, I will. I'll also create a general post that explains the various opt-in forums, how they work and what they are that new members can read.

Day1BroncoFan
08-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Yes, I will. I'll also create a general post that explains the various opt-in forums, how they work and what they are that new members can read.

Can you set it up so I'm automatically opt'd in to all such forums. :D

frauschieze
08-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Hey Tned....I know your admin letter said the P & R sections are in the process of being turned into opt-in forums. Just curious if you have a timeline on that.

Not that I'm overly anxious to opt-out of the politics stuff ASAP or anything....:whistle:

gnomeflinger
08-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I read the email, but I haven't read the thread. Whatever you decide, Tned, your decision will be respected so :salute: to you, friend.

Tned
08-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey Tned....I know your admin letter said the P & R sections are in the process of being turned into opt-in forums. Just curious if you have a timeline on that.

Not that I'm overly anxious to opt-out of the politics stuff ASAP or anything....:whistle:

I've just been real busy. Was out of town last week and last weekend. This Tuesday or Wednesday, I am going to upgrade the message board to the latest vB release (security and other fixes) and will probably make P&R opt-in at that time.

I've been fairly derelict in my Town Hall Responsibilities the last month or two, but will get on the ball here soon. Try and get things ship/shape before the season starts.

atwater27
08-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Can someone just sign me up for all forums. I officially opt myself in to any and all forums. This opt in stuff is just getting silly.

NameUsedBefore
08-24-2008, 06:15 PM
The wording is a bit... odd.

I just opted-into this thread, for instance.

I say we call it the "See no evil" button.

frauschieze
08-24-2008, 06:28 PM
I've just been real busy. Was out of town last week and last weekend. This Tuesday or Wednesday, I am going to upgrade the message board to the latest vB release (security and other fixes) and will probably make P&R opt-in at that time.

I've been fairly derelict in my Town Hall Responsibilities the last month or two, but will get on the ball here soon. Try and get things ship/shape before the season starts.

Thanks Tned. I will forgive you for having a life. :D