PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Broncos' Maroney to get most of carries vs. Titans

Denver Native (Carol)
10-02-2010, 12:26 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16230524?source=rss

Welcome back. Today's question comes from Ed Davis in Detroit:

Q: Who do you expect to get the majority of the carries Sunday? Will Knowshon Moreno be healthy? If not, do you think the Broncos will turn more toward (Correll) Buckhalter given (Laurence) Maroney's short-yardage struggles last week against Indianapolis?

A: Ed, this has easily been, other than Tim Tebow, the most-asked question of the week about the Broncos.

Moreno, who suffered a left hamstring injury in practice last week and did not play against Colts, has not practiced this week, having missed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. He is not expected to play Sunday against the Titans.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he'd like to give Moreno the "benefit of the doubt" Saturday and perhaps even Sunday to see where he is health-wise, but the Broncos are making other plans for their backfield in this one.

Maroney, because of his history in McDaniels' offense in New England, figures to get the start again and do the bulk of the early-down work. McDaniels sees Maroney as more of a run/receiving option than Buckhalter.

Buckhalter will play in the team's third-down package as well as in most hurry-up situations. Buckhalter was in the hurry-up drives against the Colts just before the half and at the end of the game when the Broncos stayed in their three-wide-receiver set.

McDaniels likes Buckhalter as a runner, but the Broncos have been careful in monitoring his workload given how much time he missed in training camp because of a neck/back injury.

Fullback Spencer Larsen also won't play because of an ankle injury, so tight end Dan Gronkowski will line up as the up back when the Broncos go to a two-back set. Gronkowski will at least have had a little more time to prepare for that role this week.

In the days leading up to the Colts' game, Gronkowski was told Friday he would play at least some at fullback, so he had plenty of cramming to do in the playbook before the game.

He then played 13 snaps at fullback, while also lining up in the team's two-tight-end set 19 times.

The main concern for the backs against the Titans will be their pass-protection duties. The Titans like to add linebackers and safeties to the pass rush, usually right up the middle of the formation, right after the offensive linemen have engaged the Titans' defensive linemen.

That means Gronkowski, Buckhalter and Maroney have to be on the lookout for defenders coming free on the way to quarterback Kyle Orton.

FantasyTeamInfo
10-02-2010, 02:00 PM
I came here a couple weeks ago seeking fantasy advice about the Broncos and the pecking order of the WRs. Got some great info. My fantasy team (Orton, Royal, Lloyd and Maroney) are undefeated and kicking ass. This week, I need help with questions about the running game.

How confident are people here about the running game this week, on the road against Tenn? Would you start Maroney on your team? Does Orton throw to the backs alot? Will Orton pass all day, attack the rookie CB and forget the run?

I need to start one of these RBs but I can't decide which one as they all have issues this week. Keep in mind, I'm starting Orton, Royal and Lloyd. It's a ppr league and I get 1 point per 25 return yards.

Javid Best--turf toe but wants to try and play
C.J. Spiller--NY Jets defense, would need a good return game from Spiller
Maroney--????Worth a shot to sneak a close TD via run or pass????
Christopher Ivory--I don't think Pierre Thomas is playing this week so this guy plays

frauschieze
10-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Maroney will not be returning at all, and couldn't make it in the end zone from one yard out three times last week. Anyone else would be better. The Broncos cannot run; we're a passing only team right now.

scott.475
10-02-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't know anything about fantasy football, but after reading that article I need to go find a puppy to kick or something. I fear we might have a long day Sunday, I hope to heavens Maroney can do somethig. Dang it!

dogfish
10-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Q&A: Broncos' Maroney to get most of carries vs. Titans

may god have mercy on us!

dogfish
10-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I came here a couple weeks ago seeking fantasy advice about the Broncos and the pecking order of the WRs. Got some great info. My fantasy team (Orton, Royal, Lloyd and Maroney) are undefeated and kicking ass. This week, I need help with questions about the running game.

How confident are people here about the running game this week, on the road against Tenn? Would you start Maroney on your team? Does Orton throw to the backs alot? Will Orton pass all day, attack the rookie CB and forget the run?

I need to start one of these RBs but I can't decide which one as they all have issues this week. Keep in mind, I'm starting Orton, Royal and Lloyd. It's a ppr league and I get 1 point per 25 return yards.

Christopher Ivory--I don't think Pierre Thomas is playing this week so this guy plays

i don't think there's a denver back besides moreno even worth having on your roster. . . i'd probably play best and ivory. . .

FantasyTeamInfo
10-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Ok, sounds like people don't have much faith in Maroney. I won't play him. Think your passing game will keep on clicking? I sure hope so cuz I'm killing other teams right now. Loving this Orton guy.

Thanks for the input all.

dogfish
10-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Ok, sounds like people don't have much faith in Maroney. I won't play him. Think your passing game will keep on clicking? I sure hope so cuz I'm killing other teams right now. Loving this Orton guy.

Thanks for the input all.

yes, i do expect the passing game to keep putting up numbers-- we can't run, we're going to have to pass it. . . and getting right tackle ryan harris back should only help. . .

FantasyTeamInfo
10-02-2010, 03:08 PM
I guess I'm slightly worried that if Denver passes 70% of the time, you become predictable and easier to defend against. Nobody out there thinks they'll bang it up in there to try and prove they can run some to keep the defense honest?

Buff
10-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I guess I'm slightly worried that if Denver passes 70% of the time, you become predictable and easier to defend against. Nobody out there thinks they'll bang it up in there to try and prove they can run some to keep the defense honest?

I think we'll try to run, but we've got a couple of o-lineman who aren't 100% and Maroney himself isn't 100%... If we couldn't run it against the Colts or Seahawks, then there is no reason to believe we'll be all that effective against Tennesee's stout D-line.

You could start Maroney and hope he gets a redzone TD, since he will get some opportunities, but I wouldn't have a ton of faith in him.

dogfish
10-02-2010, 03:31 PM
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9730/maroneyjpg2b71c8efba56c.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/maroneyjpg2b71c8efba56c.jpg/)

"This isn't "Dancing with the Stars" and you're sending me to Denver?? What the hell is that supposed to mean??!"

FantasyTeamInfo
10-02-2010, 03:40 PM
I think we'll try to run, but we've got a couple of o-lineman who aren't 100% and Maroney himself isn't 100%... If we couldn't run it against the Colts or Seahawks, then there is no reason to believe we'll be all that effective against Tennesee's stout D-line.

You could start Maroney and hope he gets a redzone TD, since he will get some opportunities, but I wouldn't have a ton of faith in him.

Roger that. No faith in Maroney. If NO announces that PT is out, I'm going with the Ivory kid as a sleeper. Maroney is tempting to me because I have Orton. So if Maroney scores on some 5 yard swing pass, I'll be pissed that I miss out on double points. But you're right, if they couldn't run last week....

I Eat Staples
10-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Our backs are gods in Madden. HB slip screens gain a minimum of 10 yards per play.

SR
10-02-2010, 10:39 PM

How about find the right forum to ask your fantasy football questions.

BeefStew25
10-02-2010, 10:59 PM
No one gives a shit about your fantasy team.

robert ethan
10-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I think the team is just as well off with Maroney and Gronkowksi in the backfield as with Moreno and Larsen. The two who will play tomorrow are better receivers if nothing else. Maroney is as good a runner as Moreno, and Larsen never carries the ball in any case.

jhildebrand
10-03-2010, 01:44 AM
I don't care if Maroney gets 10 carries or 25. I just want to see us pass the ball nonstop including in the redzone. It is our strength at this point. Let's see if KY er VY and the Titans can stop it. I dont think they can.

Run up the score. If CU can beat UGA, we can kill the Titans :D