PDA

View Full Version : RE-Focused WEEK 3...INDY VS DENVER

Elevation inc
10-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Good read folks

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/10/01/re-focused-indianapolis-at-denver/

It wasn’t difficult to see why the Colts came away with the “W” in this one: Despite putting up just more than 500 total yards on offense, the Broncos displayed one of the worst red-zone performances in recent memory.

Denver had every opportunity to win this game, as its defense far outplayed Indy’s, but play-calling in the red zone and failure to execute cost the Broncos this game.

Colts: Three performances of note

In the absence of Pierre Garcon and Anthony Gonzalez, Peyton Manning needed WR Austin Collie (+2.6) to step up against a Broncos secondary featuring a rookie CB starting on one side and a less than 100 percent Champ Bailey on the other. Out of necessity, Collie was thrown at 15 times and made sure to make the most of the increased targets, hauling in 12 passes for 171 yards and two of Manning’s three scoring tosses. It’s one of the best performances by a wideout we’ve seen thus far.

TE Brodie Eldridge (-2.0) really disappointed after doing a solid job run blocking last week. Eldridge failed to take advantage of the one thing that will earn him playing time: Dallas Clark‘s poor blocking. The rookie TE will dictate his own playing time this year, as he will not see the field much if he cannot compensate for Clark’s blocking in double-TE sets.

The player most victimized in Indy’s secondary was CB Jerraud Powers (-1.9) playing mostly in the slot, though he saw time at RCB against most two-wideout sets. Thrown at 18 times, Powers gave up 11 catches, accounting for 192 of Kyle Orton‘s passing yards. He broke up two passes, but was also beaten deep over the middle by resurgent WR Brandon Lloyd for a 48-yard touchdown.

Broncos: Three performances of note

On an otherwise bleak day for the Denver O-line, LT Ryan Clady (+1.9) made some progress towards returning to pre-injury form. Clady has looked, at times, stiff and awkward in pass protection, which can be attributed to a still-continuing recovery from his offseason injury. On Sunday, however, he was much more fluid and quick, giving up two pressures while lining up against all-pro DE Dwight Freeney. Clady has improved his pass-blocking grade each week so far this young season.

Speaking of continually improving players, OLB Robert Ayers (+4.6) enjoyed his best overall game as a pro, two weeks after setting his previous best grade. In fact, the Broncos had more players grade green than red, which is indicative of the positives points Josh McDaniels can take from this loss. For his part, Ayers recorded six total pressures and two stops on defense. Ayers’ run support is better than Elvis Dumervil‘s, and if he can continue to rush the passer effectively, the two will form a menacing tandem next season.

Considering the Broncos lost, not everyone could have had a good game. Slot receiver Eddie Royal (-2.1) was one of the poorer performers, catching less than half (four) of the balls thrown his way (nine) and posting a negative grade in every category except run blocking. Royal was also penalized once in the red zone.

Rookie report

The Broncos’ rookie linemen struggled once again, though you can’t blame RT Zane Beadles for not knowing how to block Robert Mathis. Wide receiver Demaryius Thomas posted a positive grade once again and was especially impressive with his run blocking, which wasn’t displayed as much last week. Thomas’ performance so far hasn’t been statistically excellent, but he looks great on the field and has all the tools to become a star receiver someday. … On the other side of the ball, Perrish Cox (+3.2) played the whole game in place of RCB Andre Goodman, who was inactive. Cox played better than could have been expected for a rookie starting at cornerback, a position where first-year players typically struggle. He was beaten a few times and gave up a touchdown to another rookie, practice squad callup Blair White, but defended solidly for the most part while being tested often throughout the game.

First-rounder Jerry Hughes made his way into a game for the first time for the Colts, recording a pressure on two snaps. Kavell Conner started at OLB and was injured at the end of the first quarter.

Random notes

With only three available wide receivers, one making his first start, the Colts were forced to use their starting wideouts more than usual. Reggie Wayne played all 68 offensive snaps and counterpart Collie missed only five. … Think the Broncos were worried about Manning tearing apart their secondary? On 64 of 68 defensive snaps, the Broncos lined up at least five in the back.

NightTrainLayne
10-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Speaking of continually improving players, OLB Robert Ayers (+4.6) enjoyed his best overall game as a pro, two weeks after setting his previous best grade. In fact, the Broncos had more players grade green than red, which is indicative of the positives points Josh McDaniels can take from this loss. For his part, Ayers recorded six total pressures and two stops on defense. Ayers’ run support is better than Elvis Dumervil‘s, and if he can continue to rush the passer effectively, the two will form a menacing tandem next season.

I like the sound of that.

Elevation inc
10-01-2010, 11:52 AM

yeah dude is balling this year and that is just from a base 3 or 4 front.....him and doom are gonna be dominant much like Pitt(with harrison/woodley) next year....hopefully this year we bounce moss to the street and pick darrell reid up again when he is healed end of october for a stretch run....

pnbronco
10-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:

Me too!! Also I not sure if it's been posted but Ayers broke his nose I guess pretty early in the game and played like this....:shocked:

Elevation inc
10-01-2010, 11:54 AM
yeah we are looking nice at starting ILB/OLB for the future....our starting 4 Lb's is gonna be good stuff next year.......

NightTrainLayne
10-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:

Me too!! Also I not sure if it's been posted but Ayers broke his nose I guess pretty early in the game and played like this....:shocked:

Broke his nose while hitting Manning. . . :salute: that's dedication that I appreciate.

underrated29
10-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Now if we can just get someone to take hagans spot at ILB next year. just a big Mean nasty pimp daddy. And a DE who can apply pressure on the QB by himself, the defense transformation is almost complete.

I would not mind a completely defensive draft next year.

1-DE
2-ILB
2b-DE/NT
3-LB/NT/DE
6- S/CB
6/7- S/CB

Sign an OL in FA or two and we are ptetty damn set.

Elevation inc
10-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Now if we can just get someone to take hagans spot at ILB next year. just a big Mean nasty pimp daddy. And a DE who can apply pressure on the QB by himself, the defense transformation is almost complete.

I would not mind a completely defensive draft next year.

1-DE
2-ILB
2b-DE/NT
3-LB/NT/DE
6- S/CB
6/7- S/CB

Sign an OL in FA or two and we are ptetty damn set.

haggan is playing very well at TED he isnt a problem there at all...we could use a ILB or OLB depth player for sure in rd 2-3 area...but it isnt a big need.....our 4 LBs with woodyard and mays are good....i would even say we need a depth OLB before a ILB....we need a NT, but the class is very weak outside of Powe.....the DE class is awsome and the rB class is mediocre....we could use a safety for sure...we have no need for a CB.....

underrated29
10-01-2010, 03:49 PM
haggan is playing very well at TED he isnt a problem there at all...we could use a ILB or OLB depth player for sure in rd 2-3 area...but it isnt a big need.....our 4 LBs with woodyard and mays are good....i would even say we need a depth OLB before a ILB....we need a NT, but the class is very weak outside of Powe.....the DE class is awsome and the rB class is mediocre....we could use a safety for sure...we have no need for a CB.....

Yes he is, and while I understand that I also see the difference between him and a patrick willis, ray lewis type of ILB also. Some guys are good, some are way freaking better. I agree with OLB depth, but I do not think we need to use one of our top 3 picks on depth.

Cb-my boy cox is a stud, but im not sold on squid at all! I hate hate nate jones and goody or champ will be leaving within 2 years either by retirment, position switch or trade/release. CB is a bigger need than most think. Still not worthy of any picks before 3, unless someone falls.

I am right with you there about DE- we should pick up two imo...rb is eh, but we do need a FB. Larsen is good but always banged up. I like him for depth at ILB better, but josh apparantly does not. We will once again look for a RB/FB combo player in the draft me thinks-maybe ufda. and I am starting to lose a bit of confidence in hill.

Lonestar
10-01-2010, 04:24 PM
I have good long term feelings.

Lots of folks were pooh poohing ayers in the off season while few of us liked what we saw late last year.

Mayock said it first last year when MOST of us said WHO? When he was drafted. Said he would be the best defensive player in that draft in 3 years.

FWIW he was one of the reasons I was not worried about losing doom if we had. I knew he was going to be a stud. And golly gee he can also play the run.

Sorry the devil made me do it.

To Elevation keep the great stuff coming thanks for sharing. - I never belive the stuff Dread said about you. :laugh:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Elevation inc
10-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I have good long term feelings.

Lots of folks were pooh poohing ayers in the off season while few of us liked what we saw late last year.

Mayock said it first last year when MOST of us said WHO? When he was drafted. Said he would be the best defensive player in that draft in 3 years.

FWIW he was one of the reasons I was not worried about losing doom if we had. I knew he was going to be a stud. And golly gee he can also play the run.

Sorry the devil made me do it.

To Elevation keep the great stuff coming thanks for sharing. - I never belive the stuff Dread said about you. :laugh:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

What damn you Dread:tsk:......:lol:

Elevation inc
10-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Yes he is, and while I understand that I also see the difference between him and a patrick willis, ray lewis type of ILB also. Some guys are good, some are way freaking better. I agree with OLB depth, but I do not think we need to use one of our top 3 picks on depth.

Cb-my boy cox is a stud, but im not sold on squid at all! I hate hate nate jones and goody or champ will be leaving within 2 years either by retirment, position switch or trade/release. CB is a bigger need than most think. Still not worthy of any picks before 3, unless someone falls.

I am right with you there about DE- we should pick up two imo...rb is eh, but we do need a FB. Larsen is good but always banged up. I like him for depth at ILB better, but josh apparantly does not. We will once again look for a RB/FB combo player in the draft me thinks-maybe ufda. and I am starting to lose a bit of confidence in hill.

the thing is a patrick willis type LB would play or fit best in DJ's role....a TED is a easy role to fill with guys like haggan and davis......and i disagree with CB, goodman was one of the best #2 corners in the league last year, cox is legit, and thompson and cassius vaughn provide depth....plus champ is gonna re-sign.....now if he doesnt i would be all over a CB in rd 1 or 2.....

and renaldo hill does nothing for me either...i think teh future is bruton and MCbath but we could use a later pick to groom behind them, the safety class is kinda weak this year