PDA

View Full Version : Matt Prater best kicker in Broncos history?

honz
09-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Broncos K Matt Prater's 80.8 field goal percentage (59-73) is the best in team history, just ahead of Jason Elam's 80.6% rate.

Among players with at least 100 kickoffs since 1994, Broncos K Matt Prater's 32.6% career touchback rate is the best in the NFL.

Northman
09-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Meh, Jason was more clutch than Prater.

BroncoBJ
09-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Meh, Jason was more clutch than Prater.

Jason has had more opportunities. In Praters only chance to kick a game winner, he did it. And this year he nailed a 54 yarder to tie the game. Hes been clutch but hasn't had all the chances yet.

We'll see how he is in clutch situations down the road :elefant:

BORDERLINE
09-30-2010, 04:45 PM
jason elam was as good as it gets never had a problem with him kicking any field goals...

rcsodak
09-30-2010, 04:53 PM
YES. Especially after he's gone. And Peyton Hillis is the best RB! BM the best wr. ADavis the best LB. TS better than sharpe. We deniers just need to deal with the 'facts'.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoNut
09-30-2010, 05:04 PM
been impressed with Prater. He's got a good leg

OrangeHoof
09-30-2010, 05:07 PM
This is like that discussion about whether Mariano Rivera is the best pitcher in baseball history. It's asinine. You trot out all the statistics you want but there's no comparison what a kicker does in 2-1/2 seasons versus a guy who played for 15 seasons. Elam was a great kicker for a very long time who made most of the clutch kicks he encountered.

camdisco24
09-30-2010, 05:07 PM
He's my favorite kicker in the league right now. ;)

Northman
09-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Jason has had more opportunities. In Praters only chance to kick a game winner, he did it. And this year he nailed a 54 yarder to tie the game. Hes been clutch but hasn't had all the chances yet.

We'll see how he is in clutch situations down the road :elefant:

Ok, and?

My only point is the article or person is claiming he is the best in Broncos history. My guess is its too early to even declare that. :lol:

Northman
09-30-2010, 05:08 PM
This is like that discussion about whether Mariano Rivera is the best pitcher in baseball history. It's asinine. You trot out all the statistics you want but there's no comparison what a kicker does in 2-1/2 seasons versus a guy who played for 15 seasons. Elam was a great kicker for a very long time who made most of the clutch kicks he encountered.

Exactly, which was my point. I guess i just didnt convey it very well.

Northman
09-30-2010, 05:10 PM
YES. Especially after he's gone. And Peyton Hillis is the best RB! BM the best wr. ADavis the best LB. TS better than sharpe. We deniers just need to deal with the 'facts'.

Seriously? Is this really necessary?

BroncoBJ
09-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Ok, and?

My only point is the article or person is claiming he is the best in Broncos history. My guess is its too early to even declare that. :lol:

Well you act like Prater isn't clutch. Too early to see what he is or isn't. But so far hes made his clutch kicks. But obviously Elam is the best kicker in Broncos history. :lol:

Orton and Elway are the only 2 Bronco QB's in history to have 2 400 yard passing games in thier career. Doesn't mean Orton is just as good as Elway.

But yea, I want to see Prater do this for another 10+ years :salute:

LRtagger
09-30-2010, 05:33 PM
He has the potential to be better than Elam, but right now he's not even close.

rcsodak
09-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Seriously? Is this really necessary?
I made an observation of some ex-players. I don't understand your questioning it.

rcsodak
09-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Well you act like Prater isn't clutch. Too early to see what he is or isn't. But so far hes made his clutch kicks. But obviously Elam is the best kicker in Broncos history. :lol:

Orton and Elway are the only 2 Bronco QB's in history to have 2 400 yard passing games in thier career. Doesn't mean Orton is just as good as Elway.

But yea, I want to see Prater do this for another 10+ years :salute:
excellent post and use of examples. Hi5!

Northman
09-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Well you act like Prater isn't clutch.

I dont think Prater is clutch in my opinion, not right now. Its early, but thats my feeling at this point in time which is why i made the statement. Ive seen him miss some very makeable kicks in his career so far.

Northman
09-30-2010, 05:47 PM
I made an observation of some ex-players. I don't understand your questioning it.

The players you mentioned had zero to do with the topic hence, i questioned it.

dogfish
09-30-2010, 06:06 PM
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/2530/cmonman.jpg (http://img808.imageshack.us/i/cmonman.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

I Eat Staples
09-30-2010, 06:30 PM
No. Jason Elam.

MileHighCrew
09-30-2010, 06:31 PM
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/2530/cmonman.jpg (http://img808.imageshack.us/i/cmonman.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

enough said

gnomeflinger
09-30-2010, 07:48 PM
I didn't jump on the Broncos wagon in the Elam era. I love Matt Prater. He's my favorite Bronco.

dogfish
09-30-2010, 07:51 PM
I didn't jump on the Broncos wagon in the Elam era. I love Matt Prater. He's my favorite Bronco.

you just recently started following the broncos, gnomey?

honz
09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Prater's numbers speak for themselves.

gnomeflinger
09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
you just recently started following the broncos, gnomey?

When I joined the board two years ago. My husband has been a fan long before I knew him. I've known him for over 20 years. I guess you can say it was inevitable that I would become a fan.

BroncoBJ
09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
I dont think Prater is clutch in my opinion, not right now. Its early, but thats my feeling at this point in time which is why i made the statement. Ive seen him miss some very makeable kicks in his career so far.

Well in his short career he has made 8 go ahead and 10 tying Field Goals. So thats kinda clutch, right? :confused:

Just because he has missed a makeable kick doesn't mean hes not clutch. Elam missed makeable kicks as well. Every kicker makes makeable kicks.

But Prater is 34 out of his last 39. So thats pretty legit. There hasn't been a game yet, where I blame Prater for the loss. His past 2 seasons especially have been money. :salute:

Buff
09-30-2010, 09:11 PM
He deserves a pat on the back for his FG's, but I'd say his stats are pretty much in line with the expectation for any kicker in the league.

His kickoffs/touchbacks are what set him apart as above average IMO.

Northman
09-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Well in his short career he has made 8 go ahead and 10 tying Field Goals. So thats kinda clutch, right? :confused:

Just because he has missed a makeable kick doesn't mean hes not clutch. Elam missed makeable kicks as well. Every kicker makes makeable kicks.

But Prater is 34 out of his last 39. So thats pretty legit. There hasn't been a game yet, where I blame Prater for the loss. His past 2 seasons especially have been money. :salute:

Oh, i dont blame him for any losses and he has been much improved the last couple of years but he has a way to go.

BroncoBJ
09-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh, i dont blame him for any losses and he has been much improved the last couple of years but he has a way to go.

Yea, but to say hes not clutch is pretty silly. For the most part, whenever we've needed a big Field Goal, Prater has come through. Now lets just see if he can keep it up. He has a long ways to go before he reaches Elam status. :elefant:

Ravage!!!
09-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I was the one looking up Prater's numbers and defending him his rookie season when the boards were jumping all over him. His % of kicks has been higher from day 1.

Now, just because he's been good from day one (as compared to other great kickers their rookie seasons), doesn't mean I believe that he's on his way to the "HoF" (I chuckle at that since kickers don't make the HoF). But he's good.

I'm glad that we have followed up one great kicker with another one that is proving to be very good. Just as people doubted him after his rookie year, I'm sure there are some that doubt his ability to hit the 'clutch' kick. Those nerves come with time.

He can't be declared better than Elam as a whole, but since it is possible to compare apples to apples with kickers at their point in careers (meaning there hasn't been rule changes that effect the kickers other than making it more difficult for today's kickers ) I think its ok to say that Prater is as good as Elam at this point in their respective careers. I know he's already hit more long kicks at this point, anyway. Those are clutch considering the rule change to keep the ball from teh spot of the kick rather than moving to the 20.

Tned
09-30-2010, 09:23 PM
He deserves a pat on the back for his FG's, but I'd say his stats are pretty much in line with the expectation for any kicker in the league.

His kickoffs/touchbacks are what set him apart as above average IMO.

Touchbacks and 50+ yard kicks:

RT @psmyth12: @broncosforums - Prater's 80 percent success rate on 50-yarders (8-of-10) is the best in NFL history (min. 10 att.).

BroncoBJ
09-30-2010, 09:25 PM
On another note, I find it funny that not every team has a good kicker. So its always nice to have a good kicker as well as Punter. I like them both. But you would think that in this world, there is at least 32 people who can kick Field Goals. Just 1 for each team. Sometimes it shocks me how many bad kickers there are out there. You would think each team would have at least 1 guy who can make FG's.

Ravage!!!
09-30-2010, 09:27 PM
On another note, I find it funny that not every team has a good kicker. So its always nice to have a good kicker as well as Punter. I like them both. But you would think that in this world, there is at least 32 people who can kick Field Goals. Just 1 for each team. Sometimes it shocks me how many bad kickers there are out there. You would think each team would have at least 1 guy who can make FG's.

Yeah.. always amazed me as well. I'm also thrilled with our Punter. Its been a few years since we've had a kicker and a punter I can feel good about. :beer:

BroncoWave
09-30-2010, 09:38 PM

Because most people who have world-class proficiency in kicking a ball play soccer.

Buff
09-30-2010, 10:04 PM

This has always baffled me as well. Even at the college level.

"Just kick it between those two sticks about 80% of the time and we'll pay for your school for 4 years."

I swear if I have a kid he's going to be a kicker.

dogfish
09-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Prater's numbers speak for themselves.

jason elam just called. . . he said to tell prater's numbers, "before you start popping off at the mouth you ought to get yourself some of these."

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6047/2011003560.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/2011003560.jpg/)

:heh:

:werd:

[/thread]

dogfish
09-30-2010, 10:11 PM

"Just kick it between those two sticks about 80% of the time and we'll pay for your school for 4 years."

golfers get paid more, and made fun of a lot less. . .

Buff
09-30-2010, 10:21 PM
golfers get paid more, and made fun of a lot less. . .

There are a billion more variables in golf. And everyone does it.

Kicking is the untapped gold mine. In fact, I might have a kid for the sole purpose of producing an NFL kicker or punter.

OrangeHoof
09-30-2010, 10:41 PM
What is Prater's mark so far from 63 yards out?

Lonestar
09-30-2010, 10:49 PM

Fencing is an almost 100% shot at scholarship money especially if a girl. Title 9 gives girls a head start on money. My daughter is attending a NAIA school full scholarship on VB.

She is getting free education Thank God. could have walked on for a D1 school and probably played but no scholarship up front.

The college is a small Christian College . and is getting a great degree. FREE.

Going to watch her play this week end. HAVE AN EARLY FLIGHT.
With that Adios see you on my Black berry.

dogfish
09-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Kicking is the untapped gold mine. In fact, I might have a kid for the sole purpose of producing an NFL kicker or punter.

:lol::lol:

BroncoWave
09-30-2010, 10:54 PM
jason elam just called. . . he said to tell prater's numbers, "before you start popping off at the mouth you ought to get yourself some of these."

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6047/2011003560.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/2011003560.jpg/)

:heh:

:werd:

[/thread]

So you're going to argue that Garrett Hartley is better than Matt Prater?

dogfish
09-30-2010, 10:54 PM
dude, what if you have a girl?

certainly a CU alum such as yourself wouldn't want to put his daughter into the clutches of an evil scumbag like gary barnett after that whole katie hnida situation, right?

dogfish
09-30-2010, 10:56 PM
So you're going to argue that Garrett Hartley is better than Matt Prater?

i'm not going to argue anything, i already flat-out SAID that jason elam is better than matt prater. . . :lol: 'cuz that's how it is. . .

i didn't say shit about hartley, that dude sucks. . . you can argue that one if you want. . .

BroncoWave
09-30-2010, 10:59 PM
i'm not going to argue anything, i already flat-out SAID that jason elam is better than matt prater. . . :lol: 'cuz that's how it is. . .

i didn't say shit about hartley, that dude sucks. . . you can argue that one if you want. . .

I also agree that Elam was better, but I think using rings as a way to prove player A is better than player B is a bad way to go about it. (Exhibit A: Hartley) Rings are won by 53 players, not one. And especially not by a ****ing kicker.

Buff
09-30-2010, 11:09 PM
dude, what if you have a girl?

certainly a CU alum such as yourself wouldn't want to put his daughter into the clutches of an evil scumbag like gary barnett after that whole katie hnida situation, right?

Pretty sure that's what adoption is for.

:shocked:

jhildebrand
09-30-2010, 11:27 PM
On Mania, I use to preach patience with prater. The guy was riding on PURE talent. In college, he didn't have a kicking coach. He was all but self taught. Prater still has a lot of upside to go and I cant wait to see more.

I am just glad we didn't keep Garrett Hartley over Prater as Shanny almost had.

BroncoBJ
09-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Yeah.. always amazed me as well. I'm also thrilled with our Punter. Its been a few years since we've had a kicker and a punter I can feel good about. :beer:

Same, I really like Colquitt a lot as well. I just hope we don't release him at the bye :lol:

It does feel nice having a good kicking game though. Some teams would kill for a good kicker/punter so were blessed.

dogfish
09-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Pretty sure that's what adoption is for.

:shocked:

buff, you're not exactly on fire just yet, but definitely heating up. . .

:salute:

now go troll slim like he does when he's been drinking. . .

scott.475
09-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Way to early to say that. When Elam left the Broncos I saw or her that no other player had ever scored as many points for his team (I presume they meant single team, since other kickers have scored more over their career). When Matt can hang that title, I might rethink.

drewloc
10-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Elam was clutch for so many years, it's hard to judge Prater against him. Long term, I think Prater can be better, but he needs to show it consistently. I'm looking forward to watching him play for us in the years to come.

BroncoJoe
10-01-2010, 08:43 AM
I also agree that Elam was better, but I think using rings as a way to prove player A is better than player B is a bad way to go about it. (Exhibit A: Hartley) Rings are won by 53 players, not one. And especially not by a ****ing kicker.

Check with the Patriots...

;)

rcsodak
10-01-2010, 08:55 AM
The players you mentioned had zero to do with the topic hence, i questioned it.
So why start now? And now You're off-topic.

Prater is proving to be a good kicker. Elam said he could be Great! But we all know what happened to Vanderdrunk after he was proclaimed 'the most accurate kicker'. I'll hold off til Prater's had some tough tests.

rcsodak
10-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Except Hartley set a SB record ny kicking 3-40+ FG's. Without those, do they still win? Does NE win without my alum brother's FG accuracy? How about Jim.Kelly's Buffalo team that lost because of a missed FG?
Like you said....53 players....and the kicker is VERY important. In fact, I could prolly argue he's more important than half of the roster, if not more.

BroncoWave
10-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Check with the Patriots...

;)

Except Hartley set a SB record ny kicking 3-40+ FG's. Without those, do they still win? Does NE win without my alum brother's FG accuracy? How about Jim.Kelly's Buffalo team that lost because of a missed FG?
Like you said....53 players....and the kicker is VERY important. In fact, I could prolly argue he's more important than half of the roster, if not more.

This is my point: While yes, kickers have made big plays to win (or lose) teams championships, most of the time those kickers didn't do anything that 75% of other starting kickers in the NFL couldn't do. For example, yea Hartley hit 3 40 yarders in the SB last year, but there isn't a kicker in the NFL not capable of doing that. And at the very least any kicker would likely have made at least 2 of the 3. Besides, the Saints won that game by 14 points so it's not like Hartley was the difference. Do you really think if you substitute any average kicker for Hartley the Saints don't win that game? That's my point. I consider kickers one of the least important positions to win a title because it's so much more interchangeable than any other position.

I still stand by my stance that it's ridiculous to use rings to compare the greatness of individual players. Using that logic, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were better than Dan Marino. And Kevin Faulk must have been a better RB than Tomlinson this decade since he has rings!

MileHighCrew
10-01-2010, 06:18 PM

Really.... wow... I'm a fan really I am. I think Jason was the best ever, but Pratter has been a great replacement. That said, he is your favorite player???? The kicker????
Honestly no offence, just surprised... The kicker!!!!

BroncoWave
10-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Really.... wow... I'm a fan really I am. I think Jason was the best ever, but Pratter has been a great replacement. That said, he is your favorite player???? The kicker????

A good female friend of mine who goes to school here and is a Ravens fan, and her favorite player of all time is Matt Stover. Some people just go for the kickers!

dogfish
10-01-2010, 07:05 PM

what do you expect from a woman?

:D

:bolt:

LordTrychon
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Prater has been very good to date, and deserves some kudos. He recently joined facebook (or someone did under his name). Anyone who collects broncos players should hit him up.

Anyway... yeah... he was a good example of fans needing to be patient with young talent. He's not as good as Elam yet, with the longevity in the way... and the cards are stacked against him just because it's very hard to be good for that long.

Lonestar
10-01-2010, 09:16 PM
overall was not impressed with his leg when he first came on the scene but lately he is kicking the snot out of the ball.

There should never be a KICK of returned at Mile High unless it is a planned event called by the coach. All of his kicks should be into or through the end zone. IMO

colquitt is coming on strong also. I like what he is doing inside the 20.

LordTrychon
10-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Is it possible to find Elam's touchback % numbers prior to his broken back?

honz
10-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I think Prater is better than Hillis.

dogfish
10-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I think Prater is better than Hillis.

honz, did hillis screw your dog and kick your girlfriend or something?

:lol:

GEM
10-02-2010, 03:50 PM
what do you expect from a woman?

:D

:bolt:

Watch it, tattoo licker!!

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-03-2010, 12:44 AM
I feel like if it came down to the game winner in a super bowl and I could have Elam or Prater in their prime I'd take Elam, but that's not putting Prater down hes just not the greatest in our history

Edmonton Bronco Fan
10-03-2010, 11:06 AM
I feel like if it came down to the game winner in a super bowl and I could have Elam or Prater in their prime I'd take Elam, but that's not putting Prater down hes just not the greatest in our history

:beer:

CrazyHorse
10-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Not yet. Whoever thinks so is crazy. Jason Elam is one of the best kicker's ever.