PDA

View Full Version : Oskie's 7/30 AM Report

Italianmobstr7
07-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Sorry folks, I don't have a lot of time to post so this will be short and sweet.

*It was hot as hell today!

*Cutler had his worst day of camp... by far! Of course it didn't help that nearly every time he dropped back he was running for his life and trying to buy himself time. He did complete a couple nice passes. One a post to Eddie Royal that displayed Cutler's ability to anticipate his receiver's breaks and routes. Eddie had to lay out for the catch and he hauled it in but it was a good sign that they're starting to gel and get their timing down. Cutler had a couple other nice passes including a nice deep out to (guess who!) DJack. But like I said, for the most part he was running for his life and missing (badly) on his throws. The pressure was coming from all over too. Sometimes up the middle (Nails is still out) sometimes off the edge and sometimes from blitzes... that came from all over as well. Cutler wasn't horrible but it was clear he was frustrated and having a bad day. First one I've seen from him.

*Patrick Ramsey was awesome today. He didn't throw a single pass. Don't know if he was injured or Hackney has clearly moved ahead of him? Hackney connected with Marshall, Colbert, and Royal on deep passes. One to Marshall was with Dre Bly in coverage. Oh, and he consistenty found the open receiver. Cutler threw to Marshall deep with three DBs and Niko in coverage... he was the only receiver in the area too!

Selvin Young, Torain, Hall and Aldridge all looked good today. A guy in front of me suggested that Hall move in front of Young with his good running of late. While I don't think he's moved ahead of Young, you can't deny he's talented in this scheme. Torain seems to have the most power and Aldridge hit a couple on the outside that REALLY showed his speed. We have to find a spot for him on this team! He did a good job of catching the ball downfield. He's a threat on deep routes and the fastest of the RBs, but Hall seems to play faster at this point. Hillis and Pittman both sat out today. Sapp was so-so.

Ryan Harris did a decent job blocking Jarvis today. He routinely was able to stop him and force Moss to just jump at balls (he did bat a couple Cutler passes in the air).

Jack Williams got laid out... and I mean, KTFO! Sadly, it was b/c Larry Birdine just made a good play and when Jack Williams went to give him a high five Birdine clotheslined him to the ground. Seriously, it was funny as hell and a BIG HIT!

Tony Scheffler caught a nice ball from Hackney only to have Josh Barrett strip it away from him. The ball never hit the ground it was such a clean strip and Barrett was able to show his speed and got to the far sideline on the offense during his return.

Foxworth had another INT on Champ. All 35 blue shirts (offense) started going after him... Fox took a knee!

Abdullah ended the 2nd team's move the ball drill with a 3rd down INT. He airplaned by the crowd after going out of bounds.

I could hear Brandon Stokley complaining to Dre Bly about something and Dre responded with, "Ya'll be cheatin in practice all the time!"

*Foxworth has moved so far in front of Paymah it's not even funny. Basically, right now you have 2a and 2b CBs in Fox and Bly and you could make the arguement that Fox is the 2a.

*Jamie Winborn was laying the wood this monring. He put Aldridge in the dirt and everyone "ooh and awe'd".

*We emptied the backfield on one play and forced a match up of Aldridge vs Nate Webster. If we can force those kinds of matchups during the season we're going to do some real damage. Unfortunately Cutler got eaten up and didn't have time to hit 'Quick'. A lot of the pressure came from Marcus Thomas. On one play I could see Thomas break through the line and then peel off instead of hitting Jay. I could hear him say, "you're dead" in a matter of fact way as he peeled off.

*Colbert for the first time that I've seen thus far made some nice plays. He had the deep catch on McCree as well as some other nice drag routes that featured him finding soft spots in the defense. It's still clear that DJack is a much better receiver than Colbert though. If I were making the charts based on what I've seen through the first 5 days or so, I'd say Marshall, DJack, Stokley, Eddie Royal, Colbert and Martinez. Both Colbert and Martinez are gonna make this team b/c of Marshall's suspension.

*It was hot as hell today!

Spencer Larsen was gobbled up by trash all morning. Sadly, I think he's going to have to earn his stripes on the PS. I had such high hopes for him too!

Folks, I can remember watching Elam kick last year and being so impressed. The have a film guy on a platform above the uprights on the north side of the main field. Last year after about 4 or 5 attempts Elam finally kicked the ball up on that platform. Quite a kick! Like I said, I was awestruck with Elam last year when he did that. Today, Prater kick 5 of 6 over that guy on the stand! The other one the guy batted down as it was coming right at him. He wasn't quite so accurate today missing a couple on the south side, but his swing is awesome. I'm not expecting miracles from Prater but I do feel confident we've found our kicker for now and the future.

Niko is pretty good. He was getting very good drops in pass coverage and even stayed with Marshall into the endzone (40-50 yards downfield) on one play. He delivers good pop when he hits and seems to be around the ball a lot. I'm liking all three of our LBs. Boss is the real deal as well and DJ should be getting a contract extension very soon... if we're smart!

Did I mention it was hotter than (use your imagination)?!? I heard somebody walk by and say it was already 100 degrees out. It was flipping 9:30 in the morning!

I'll get some more info out later. Ask questions and I'll let you know if I remember or saw. No Lynch today either. Today was a pretty lax day though practice did go until close to 11. I met a dude today that will hopefully be joining the Mane at some point. Similar stories, both of us have. Displaced and both finally back in Colorado... Also met Ultimate Solider who was behind me the entire time. Good dude.

Brand
07-30-2008, 02:59 PM
I did not believe that Bly was a good at CB as many others thought; I was not impreessed with him last year. In fact, everytime I saw Bly play, he seemed to either miss the tackle, jump to within 6 inches of the ball that was completed over him, or was otherwise out of position. He wasn't very good, IMO. So, with Foxy beating him out, that means there is a god for us Broncos fans.

Go, Foxy, go!!!!!

Italianmobstr7
07-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I did not believe that Bly was a good at CB as many others thought; I was not impreessed with him last year. In fact, everytime I saw Bly play, he seemed to either miss the tackle, jump to within 6 inches of the ball that was completed over him, or was otherwise out of position. He wasn't very good, IMO. So, with Foxy beating him out, that means there is a god for us Broncos fans.

Go, Foxy, go!!!!!

I like both Bly and Foxy very much. Although it's a camp report, it's from a fan, not from the Broncos organization. Bly had a pick today also. Foxworth is having a very good camp, but I would be very surprised to see Foxy start over Bly. Maybe next year will be the year for Foxy to start, but this year it's going to be Bly as the starter.

honz
07-30-2008, 03:33 PM

Go, Foxy, go!!!!!
Everyone was getting burned last year and everyone except the almighty Champ Bailey was catching flak for it...even though Champ was getting burned as well. If Champ didn't have the reputation he does he would have been getting ripped on as well.

Both Champ and Dre are Pro Bowl caliber CBs and they will both looked much improved if we have a defensive system that everyone is comfortable in and improved line play.

P.S. I really like Foxy too, I just think that a lot of Bronco fans are selling Bly short.