PDA

View Full Version : NFL Predictions: Chances for Every Team to Make the Playoffs Heading Into Week 4

MasterShake
09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
I just snagged the AFC West for this thread, link is at bottom for other teams:

NFL Predictions: Chances for Every Team to Make the Playoffs Heading Into Week 4

Denver Broncos
Current Record: 1-2

Where They Stand Right Now:

The Broncos' record makes them appear far worse than they are right now. Sure they lost to Jacksonville and Indianapolis, but on the field some very promising signs have emerged from a team that has been plagued with injuries.

First and foremost, Kyle Orton has looked great. He hasn't been top of the quarterback class, but he is flying under the radar in terms of performance. Secondly, wide receiver Brandon Lloyd found his feet against a tough Colts defense on the weekend, allowing Orton to have that go-to option in the coming weeks.

Perhaps the most promising factors to come out of Denver, though, is the fact that the team ranks second in overall offensive yards, and first on defensive pass yards. These two stats combined should equal wins for Denver if they keep this tough mentality up this year.

What They Need To Do To Make The Playoffs:

Just win, baby, win. Slip-ups against the likes of Jacksonville have cost the Broncos a 2-1 record, and they simply can't let that happen for the rest of the year.

Like many teams right now, the Denver Broncos need to find what works and stick with it, so don't be surprised to see Brandon Lloyd and Kyle Orton become the main theme for the rest of this season. Not only does this duo work, it allows the team to rely on a big-time playmaker, something that the Broncos needed following Brandon Marshall's departure.

Lastly, Denver really needs to play catch-up, fast. The Chiefs are atop the division, and the Chargers look flat, so the Broncos need to make the most of their chances while they can.

Key Games Ahead:

@Tennessee, @Baltimore, vs. New York Jets, vs. Kansas City, @San Diego, @Kansas City, vs. Houston, vs. San Diego.

Final Prediction:

By looking above, many big divisional games await Denver toward the second half of the season. More importantly, the Broncos now hit the road against two of the toughest AFC teams in Tennessee and Baltimore, after which Josh McDaniels could easily see numbers piled up in the loss column.

The playoffs are far from a lost cause for Denver. Kansas City could turn out to be a huge fluke, and San Diego are really struggling right now. The Chargers are notorious for starting out badly, so as already mentioned, Denver needs to pick up games when they can.

Should they accomplish that, the wild-card will become a certainty, if not the divisional crown. The Broncos have been in this position before and have failed to capitalize; let's see if history repeats itself this year.

Kansas City Chiefs
Current Record: 3-0

There is no tougher team in the NFL to decipher right now than Kansas City. On one hand, you have a 3-0 record, while on the other there is the simple fact that all of this could be a fluke, and the Chiefs will return back to their below-average ways anytime soon.

Still, the fact remains that the Chiefs have looked impressive. Matt Cassel hasn't exactly been Peyton Manning-like, but the team has come together and put forward a pretty impressive effort so far this season.

Give credit where credit is due, Todd Haley has made some great moves in the draft. Tony Moeaki has been a suitable target for Matt Cassel, and Jamaal Charles is coming good again at the right time. We may not hear much from Haley, but he's got this team thinking straight.

Fortunately for the Chiefs, they have it pretty easy. Their division isn't overly tough, and although the San Diego Chargers can still be very strong, they have so far been reasonably flat to start the year.

Therefore, Kansas City needs to keep flying along at this pace. Even if they do slip up to some tougher teams, the AFC West division isn't one that is locked up tightly right now. Other than that, Kansas City needs to remain injury-free, and continue to help Matt Cassel out. If all things go to plan, the Arrowheads may be able to make their dream come true.

Key Games Ahead:

@Indianapolis, @Houston, @Oakland, @Denver, vs. Denver, @San Diego, vs. San Diego.

Final Prediction:

I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say the Chiefs will make the playoffs. The AFC West just has an unstable feeling to it right now, and if San Diego hold off from any kind of comeback, it is Kansas City's for the taking.

Not only is it great to see the Chiefs winning, it would also be exciting to have them in the playoffs. Kansas City are the type of team that could throw a "spanner in the works," and provide a few upsets, as we've seen already this year.

They may not take the first seed just yet, but a 3-0 start is starting to at least spell wild card for the boys in red and white.

Oakland Raiders

The Raiders have looked decent for their below-.500 record so far this season. If you look past the quarterback issues that face head coach Tom Cable, running back Darren McFadden and wide receiver Louis Murphy have been the standouts for Oakland.

When it comes right down to it, though, the Raiders are always going to struggle in their division. As big as Kansas City's success story has been, the Raiders seem to struggle to overcome some of the leagues' weaker teams, even if talent is there.

Much of this may change going forward, but it is evident that there are still many issues plaguing the black hole at this point in time.

The Raiders need to simply beat the weakest teams in the league. Much like Detroit, Cleveland, and other struggling teams, if Oakland can muster up some wins against lesser opponents, then they can set their sights on a possible wild-card spot.

In the meantime, the quarterback position needs to be sorted out. Jason Campbell appears to be a no-go right now, but Bruce Gradkowski's 417-yard, two-touchdown and two-interception effort isn't much better right now.

There's a ton of talent on this team in the likes of Darren McFadden, and for the most part it has been shining through. Now the Raiders need to get over that last hurdle and find the winning streak.

Key Games Ahead:

vs. San Diego, @San Francisco, @Denver, vs. Seattle, vs. Kansas City, @San Diego, @Jacksonville, vs. Denver, @Kansas City.

Final Prediction:

It appears no amount of talent will boost the Raiders to the playoffs just yet. The AFC West division is wide open, but as long as the Raiders continue to come up short against opponents, the playoffs will become even more distant.

Whether or not Kansas City hold on for the top prize is a question, but the Raiders haven't shown too many signs of reaching No. 1. As long as the season is, it's still a stretch.

San Diego Chargers

The Chargers are in a familiar position early on, as they once again have started the season poorly. Most people would have predicted this situation due to past history, but no one could have predicted losses to both Kansas City and Seattle so far.

As for the positives in San Diego, Philip Rivers is at least passing well. Currently Rivers is one of the few quarterbacks to break the 1,000-yard mark, as he sits with 1,087 to his name and seven touchdowns.

Unfortunately, though, the news hasn't been all good, as promising running back Ryan Matthews has been a dud so far, having rushed for only 104 yards and no touchdowns.

As mentioned, Chargers running back Ryan Matthews has struggled. But the feeling around San Diego is mutual in regards to the Chargers needing to get him up and firing. Sure, Mike Tolbert has been a decent replacement; however, the Chargers rely on a run game heavily toward the end of the season.

The other factor that remains for San Diego is simply winning. The question always lingers as to whether or not they can fight back from their slump? Or will this be the year they truly fall flat on their face?

A lot is left to be discovered about the Chargers, so we'll wait and see. For now, some wins are needed, as the team stats aren't overly bad.

Key Games Ahead:

vs. New England, vs. Tennessee, @Houston, vs. Denver, @Indianapolis, vs. Kansas City, vs. San Francisco, @Cincinnati, @Denver.

Final Prediction:

Chances are the Chargers don't like seeing the Chiefs atop the division. Not only are San Diego familiar with top spot, they won't like being labeled as second best out West.

Testy games lay ahead for Norv Turner, especially in the likes of Houston and Indianapolis. Looking at the Chargers first-rank yardage offense, you could say that they have the goods, even though San Diego really haven't found that winning gene.

We've all written this team off before, so I'll play it safe and say the Chargers are still a playoff team. This year though, the wild card may be their best friend.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/476473-nfl-predictions-chances-for-every-team-to-make-the-playoffs-heading-into-week-4#page/27

Northman
09-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Best part of that article.

Just win, baby, win.

camdisco24
09-29-2010, 03:58 PM
We really have seen some good things from the team this year... But the little things are still holding us back. That being said, i'd much rather start slow and finish strong. I dont think I could take another downfall like we've seen the last 2 seasons.

Ravage!!!
09-29-2010, 05:33 PM
We really have seen some good things from the team this year... But the little things are still holding us back. That being said, i'd much rather start slow and finish strong. I dont think I could take another downfall like we've seen the last 2 seasons.

I agree. I guess the good thing is that we are definitely doing our part in the "starting off slow" department. In every race, it always comes down to how you finish and not how you start. Lets hope we don't get too far behind before we start picking up momentum.

rcsodak
09-29-2010, 06:19 PM
A high-schooler write that? Dayum.....my eyes are bleeding.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

KCL
09-29-2010, 06:21 PM

Maybe you need some new glasses.

KCL
09-29-2010, 06:23 PM
I just read about the Chiefs...don't know if KC will make the playoffs or not but Haley/Pioli did make some good draft choices or it seems like they did so far.

camdisco24
09-29-2010, 06:25 PM

the writer is an 18 year old Australian... haha i thought the same thing and clicked on the writers name... Not a bad read, but I could tell it wasn't a professional. (Gotta start somewhere though!)

Ravage!!!
09-29-2010, 07:12 PM
I believe the stats are that if you go 3-0, you have a 75% chance of going to the playoffs.

rcsodak
09-29-2010, 07:17 PM
and 0-3, 3%. SD skews it every year. :D