PDA

View Full Version : What's more difficult?

rcsodak
09-29-2010, 10:38 AM
If you were building an offense and had to pick one aspect as being the most difficult, would it be the running game or the passing game?
I'm talking from draft on down....type of Olinemen.
Is it easier/better to be top5 in one and work on establishing the other? If so, which one?

....talk about it.....
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Ravage!!!
09-29-2010, 10:51 AM
All the new rules that have been installed the NFL have been to favor the passing game. We are seeing very average QBs put up HUGE numbers because everything revolves around the passing attack.

QBs can't be hit, the WRs can't be hardly bumped from the LoS anymore, safeties can't put the lay-down on crossing WRs, rushing DE's have to be careful not to touch the QB anywhere other than the mid-section and even then the last two weeks of the NFL have shown where that gets called.

The passing game is much EASIER in today's football than it was just ten years ago. GIGANTICALLY easier than just 15-20 years ago. Nothing has really changed for the running game. No rules have changed to help out the running attack. No blocking changes, no real tackle changes.

In Today's footballl you don't have to have a great running game to be successful. Both the Colts and the Saints are not great running teams. They are Ok running teams with a GREAT passing attack. But you ahve to have SOME.

So there is two ways to look at your question, rc. If I could just simply choose to pick a dominant attack and then have the ability to groom the other, I might choose to be a dominant rushing attack because its much much easier to build a passing game.

However, because we are seeing that the NFL is such a passing league, and the dominant teams are the ones that have the elite passing attacks, it would also seem very logical to want THAT kind of offense from the start and hope to build "enough" of a running game to compliment it.

underrated29
09-29-2010, 11:13 AM
id build a pass offense....I do not care about time of possesion or balance or anything like that. My one and only goal is to score points. I also like knowing that if I have to, if its 2 minutes or less, that I can march my team down for the win.

The pass game does that for me. If I can score a td on my first 4 possesions because I have the ultimate pass offense, you will probably lose. Statistics wise all I have to do is to stop you from scoring a td on 1 of your possesions and I win.

I pass.

The Glue Factory
09-29-2010, 12:01 PM
I'll take a third option, thank you. I'd want a top 5 passing DEFENSE with which to stop the other guys from scoring on their first 4 possessions (and probably generating some turnovers as well.)

As for offense? Even average passing attacks 10 years ago are doing great now. Somewhere I saw a statistic that offenses are having little or no trouble until hitting the red zone and then struggle to score after that. Could it be that the length of field at that point becomes a 12th man on defense? Not much room for 22 people to run around in when there's only 30 yards of field. It gets exponentially more crowded the closer you get until passing from inside the five is practically impossible. Don't need a top five running attack but a bottom 10 doesn't cut it either.

It's hard to say what I would want as there's so many variables to consider. Basically a passing attack gets you into the red zone but from there a strong rushing offense gets you into the endzone. Given average passing attacks are just about as good as top 5 and the woes we've seen from a week running offense, I'd have to say I'd prefer a strong run offense with an average passing offense. Unless we get really good at scoring TDs from 20+ yards out (then I don't care about our run game and want the top passing offense.)

silkamilkamonico
09-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Top passing attack. SuperBowls are won through the game in this day and age.

rcsodak
09-29-2010, 01:02 PM
So is it easier for Olinemen coming into the league, to learn the pass protect or the run block?
Looking backwards, is it easier to find good rb'a or good wr's? With that in mind, isnt it more difficult to get routes learned, defenses read, timing down with the qb, than to only run to daylight and hope the 1st tackler misses?

silkamilkamonico
09-29-2010, 01:08 PM
So is it easier for Olinemen coming into the league, to learn the pass protect or the run block?
Looking backwards, is it easier to find good rb'a or good wr's? With that in mind, isnt it more difficult to get routes learned, defenses read, timing down with the qb, than to only run to daylight and hope the 1st tackler misses?

Easy to find good WR's. RB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL. It's very hard to get an offensive system set in place that is successful, and dynamic.

You need either very intelligent coaches, or very special offensive players, IMHO.

OLinemen I don't know. That's the one position that a player can come in, completely struggle like no other, and then in a couple years become one of the best in the NFL, with maybe the exception of the QB. T's have it the hardest because of who they match up with. For the G's/C's, it becomes such a cerebral game of chess, as they not only have to make the right reads on who they are supposed to be blocking or where to help, but then they have to execute those assignemnts.