PDA

View Full Version : Broncos WRs make NFL history

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2010, 10:31 AM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/09/28/broncos-wrs-make-nfl-history/5387/

Go ahead, list all the reasons why the Broncos can’t run the ball. Inexpereince on the offensive line. Injuries to running back.

Here might be the primary reason: The Broncos are a PASSING team. A passing team of historical proportions.

The stats and record have just been confirmed: The Broncos are the first team in NFL history to have four receivers with at least 10 catches, 140 receiving yards and one touchdown through the first three games.

Here’s a breakdown of the Broncos Big 4:
Brandon Lloyd: 14 catches, 339 yards (24.2 yards per catch), 1 TD.
Jabar Gaffney: 17 catches, 189 yards, 1 TD.
Eddie Royal: 17 catches, 186 yards, 1 TD.
Demaryius Thomas: 10 catches, 140 yards, 1 TD.

OK, as records go, this is on the esoteric side. But it still speaks of the Broncos’ passing-game transformation from QB Kyle Orton primarily only having eyes for Brandon Marshall to getting everyone involved.

Mike
09-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Start putting it in the endzone and I will be a little more impressed.

Northman
09-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Yea, nice accomplishment but at 1-2 i would feel a lot better if it translated to wins. But congrats to the team for the achievement.

rcsodak
09-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Good starting point. Get teams to worry about the passa. Hopefully taking defenders away from the LOS for holes to run through.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

MileHighCrew
09-29-2010, 10:45 AM
The wins are coming, you can feel it like winter

Dirk
09-29-2010, 11:12 AM
The wins are coming, you can feel it like winter

I agree. The other areas are catching up. Once the Oline gels, this offense could rival the "Greatest Show on Turf" IMO.

Hopefully next draft McD and Xman will concentrate on the defense!

arapaho2
09-29-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree. The other areas are catching up. Once the Oline gels, this offense could rival the "Greatest Show on Turf" IMO.

Hopefully next draft McD and Xman will concentrate on the defense!

the greatest show on turf was the 5th ranked rushing offense in the league...the 2010 broncos are the 31st

BigDaddyBronco
09-29-2010, 11:37 AM
the greatest show on turf was the 5th ranked rushing offense in the league...the 2010 broncos are the 31st
So the Colts were 2nd in passing last year and 32nd in rushing. They went to the Super Bowl.

Maybe rushing yards are over-rated in the new NFL.

Ravage!!!
09-29-2010, 11:40 AM
So the Colts were 2nd in passing last year and 32nd in rushing. They went to the Super Bowl.

I agree to a point. Now days with all the rules working to help the passing game, we don't need a 'dominant' run game... just enough. But we do need ENOUGH of a running game to run when we need, and to actually put the ball in the endzone.

Northman

Nah, i think someone pointed out that although that can happen it isnt the norm.

jhildebrand
Then pass it into the endzone. I don't care how it is done...JUST SCORE!

Also, this award speaks volumes about Orton! Way to go!

BigDaddyBronco
09-29-2010, 11:41 AM
I agree to a point. Now days with all the rules working to help the passing game, we don't need a 'dominant' run game... just enough. But we do need ENOUGH of a running game to run when we need, and to actually put the ball in the endzone.
I agree you can't have 2.2 ypc, but I'm not overly concerned if we get 80 yards of rushing a game.

arapaho2
09-29-2010, 11:44 AM

colts have a qb whom will go down as the greatest qb to ever play the game...do we?

Northman
09-29-2010, 11:46 AM
The other thing is teams like the Colts and Rams played in Domes and very rarely had to win outdoors to get to their Super Bowls. When you force those pass heavy teams to have to win in cold weather they dont fair that well without a running game.

The Glue Factory
09-29-2010, 11:47 AM

Yeah they want to the SB, but they didn't fair too well now did they? If we go to the big dance again I don't want to come back with fewer points than the other team. We need a better run game to support all the passing we're doing since passing inside the 10 (let alone the 20) is incredibly hard. A stronger run game will get us those TDs inside the five that we failed to get on Sunday.

MasterShake
09-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah they want to the SB, but they didn't fair too well now did they? If we go to the big dance again I don't want to come back with fewer points than the other team. We need a better run game to support all the passing we're doing since passing inside the 10 (let alone the 20) is incredibly hard. A stronger run game will get us those TDs inside the five that we failed to get on Sunday.

A short field does not bode well for our type of passing attack. All the crossing lanes are clogged usually unless you can get them to commit to the run and take some guys out of coverage. If we can get Knowshown healthy and get a few rushing TDs in the redzone, the passing TDs will come.

MileHighCrew
09-29-2010, 12:04 PM
colts have a qb whom will go down as the greatest qb to ever play the game...do we?

Yes TEBOW.... ok I'm kidding but someone had too.

Dirk
09-29-2010, 12:09 PM

That's why I had the caveat about the Oline gel'ing. Once they do, our rushing game will become better. :rolleyes:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2010, 12:18 PM

If you are accurate that Manning will go down as the greatest qb to ever play the game, guess ALL other NFL teams will face the same - "do we"

arapaho2
09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
If you are accurate that Manning will go down as the greatest qb to ever play the game, guess ALL other NFL teams will face the same - "do we"

why? the topic was the fact the colts reached the superbowl with a subpar run game when talking about our dismal run game..therfor the answer that they have a qb i feel will go down as the greatest qb to ever play the game...do we? haveing manning makes up for a hellof a lot of other offensive issues

nobody was talking about all other teams...try and follow along ok

sanluis
09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/09/28/broncos-wrs-make-nfl-history/5387/

Go ahead, list all the reasons why the Broncos can’t run the ball. Inexpereince on the offensive line. Injuries to running back.

Here might be the primary reason: The Broncos are a PASSING team. A passing team of historical proportions.

The stats and record have just been confirmed: The Broncos are the first team in NFL history to have four receivers with at least 10 catches, 140 receiving yards and one touchdown through the first three games.

Here’s a breakdown of the Broncos Big 4:
Brandon Lloyd: 14 catches, 339 yards (24.2 yards per catch), 1 TD.
Jabar Gaffney: 17 catches, 189 yards, 1 TD.
Eddie Royal: 17 catches, 186 yards, 1 TD.
Demaryius Thomas: 10 catches, 140 yards, 1 TD.

OK, as records go, this is on the esoteric side. But it still speaks of the Broncos’ passing-game transformation from QB Kyle Orton primarily only having eyes for Brandon Marshall to getting everyone involved.

jumped up wow!! :eek:

Spiritguy
09-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Dang, that would be over 4500 yards for the year if they keep that up.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2010, 12:37 PM

why? the topic was the fact the colts reached the superbowl with a subpar run game when talking about our dismal run game..therfor the answer that they have a qb i feel will go down as the greatest qb to ever play the game...do we? haveing manning makes up for a hellof a lot of other offensive issues

The topic to the article I posted was - "Broncos WRs make NFL history.

I do agree with you that having Manning makes up for a hell of a lot of other offensive issues., regardless which team has those offensive issues.

arapaho2
09-29-2010, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=arapaho2;1077772]

The topic to the article I posted was - "Broncos WRs make NFL history.

I do agree with you that having Manning makes up for a hell of a lot of other offensive issues., regardless which team has those offensive issues.

and thats what i was commenting on....we can pass all we want but when it comes down to the post season or great defenses..you need a running game...unless you have a peyton manning

i think its great we have a great start to the passing game....but the rush offense must pick up or being one dimensional will haunt us

silkamilkamonico
09-29-2010, 01:02 PM
and thats what i was commenting on....we can pass all we want but when it comes down to the post season or great defenses..you need a running game...unless you have a peyton manning

i think its great we have a great start to the passing game....but the rush offense must pick up or being one dimensional will haunt us

For a SuperBowl calibur team, yea. We weren't anywhere near a SuperBowl calibur team at the beginning of the season, before injuries were in place. In fact, we haven't been anywhere near a SuperBowl calibur team in 12 years, with the exception of 1 fluke year that ended up in a playoff blowout loss at home.

With an outstanding passing attack, a very young/inexperienced/inured oline that does need to improve, and a defense missing it's most dynamic player yet still is coming along fine, Denver has more reasons to be hopeful and happy about the future than we've had in a long long time. 12 years to be exact.

MileHighCrew
09-29-2010, 01:09 PM

Make your point all you want, that in uncalled for.