PDA

View Full Version : 1-2 Broncos lead the league in passing, dead last in rushing

broncofaninfla
09-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Broncos' offense a mix of good, bad

Passing game ranks No. 1 in the NFL while running game is last

By Mike Klis

The Denver Post
Posted: 09/29/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

There are no glasses half full on Mondays after losses. The week starts at Dove Valley with coaches figuring out why the glass is half empty.

After their team meeting Monday, several Broncos players were asked about some starkly contrasting numbers relating to their offense.

Three games and two losses into their 16-game season, the Broncos rank No. 1 in passing offense with 350 yards per game.
The passing game has been so prolific, the 2010 Broncos are the first team in NFL history to have four receivers (Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Eddie Royal and Demaryius Thomas) with at least 10 catches, 140 receiving yards and one touchdown through the first three games.
Yet, they also rank No. 32, or last, with 2.5 rushing yards per carry.
Mixed feelings? Historically good, but some bad? Half full, half empty?
"It's bad," said Correll Buckhalter, a Broncos running back.
And by bad, Buckhalter didn't mean good.
"You have to run the ball better than we have been," he said. "It's something we have to fix and fix it quickly."
The offensive line was given the same option: Pride for the way it has protected quarterback Kyle Orton? Or depressed about how the holes haven't been big enough for Knowshon Moreno, Laurence Maroney or Buckhalter?
"Bottom line, we have to do better in the running game," right guard Chris Kuper said. "It's everybody. I take a lot of ownership on this. We take pride on running the ball."
Playing with a chip on shoulder
The rushing woes become intensified this week as the Broncos prepare to take on incomparable running back Chris Johnson and the Tennessee Titans.
To date, the Broncos as a team have 201 yards rushing. Johnson by himself has 301. And Johnson is having a down year. Even while averaging 100.3 yards a game, Johnson is off his pace from last season, when he rushed for 2,006 yards.
"I feel like I can do the same thing," Johnsonsaid at the Pro Bowl earlier this year. "Keeping working out hard and keep the chip on my shoulder."

Is that shoulder chip there because Johnson was only the fifth running back selected — after Darren McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, Felix Jones and Rashard Mendenhall — and No. 24 overall in the 2008 NFL draft?

"That, and I feel like after the season, there shouldn't have been any space between me and the best running back," Johnson said then. "It should be automatic. As long as there's debate, then I'll have a chip on my shoulder."

No need for the Broncos to get in the middle of the Johnson-Adrian Peterson rivalry, not when the team has too many of its own problems.
Starting with the players at the core of their running attack. Up front, the Broncos have three blockers — left guard Stanley Daniels, center J.D. Walton and right tackle Zane Beadles — who three weeks ago had combined for zero NFL snaps. At left tackle, all-pro Ryan Clady is only five months away from major knee surgery. And at right guard, Kuper has been in and out of training camp, the preseason and the early part of the regular season with ankle and knee injuries.
"As far as us up front, we've got the guys to do it," Kuper said. "We've got a good group. There's no excuses here."
Injuries plague running backs
How can the Broncos expect to run when each of their running backs has spent more time in the trainer's room than on thefield?

Moreno strained one hamstring that sidelined him for five weeks, returned for two games, then pulled the other hamstring. He is not expected to play Sunday at Tennessee.

Maroney went down with a thigh injury this summer while with New England, and still was down when he was traded to the Broncos. He returned last week and gained 24 yards on 12 carries against the Colts' defense that came in ranked No. 32 against the run.

"I can't use excuses about not having played in three weeks or I was rusty," Maroney said. "I was prepared, but some of my reads weren't up to par."
Buckhalter missed most of training camp and the preseason with a back/neck injury, and fourth-string back Andre Brown is just coming back from turf toe.
With the Broncos so battered in their backfield, and so inexperienced and battered up front, what can they do about their running game? They can always change their outlook and go forward with their No. 1-ranked passing attack.

Read more: Broncos' offense a mix of good, bad - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16200536?_requestid=1120490#ixzz10vbpzZ75)http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16200536?_requestid=1120490#ixzz10vbpzZ75 (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16200536?_requestid=1120490#ixzz10vbpzZ75)

nevcraw
09-29-2010, 09:34 AM
name of the game is balance... yes there a few examples in history where one dimensional teams make it to the dance but it's the exception not the rule..

broncofaninfla
09-29-2010, 09:45 AM
name of the game is balance... yes there a few examples in history where one dimensional teams make it to the dance but it's the exception not the rule..

Agreed, I'm hoping the Oline gels as the season progressesand the RB's step up their game as well. Also need the coaches to step up and coach the Oline and Rb's up, they share a lot of blame in this mess too.

Lonestar
09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I'll take all the passing yards I can get until the OLine can gel and the RBs get well.

No need to panick at this point about balance.

Last year this time we could not get anything going so give it a rest.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Northman
09-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Last year this time we could not get anything going so give it a rest.

Probably because last year we were 3-0 at this point.

underrated29
09-29-2010, 10:15 AM
I really put this on josh.

Last year I was extremely critical as his favorite play to run, which he did run 90% of the time (not a fact, but I bet im close), was the trap to the right, or the left. EVERYTIME.

This year, instead of the trap, it is the stretch. EVERYTIME....Now we have seen a few tosses, and sweeps which i like, because you need to try the outsides everynow and then. But WHY NOT block like Tennesee or pitts or anyone else blocks. DOWNHILL. quit moving our blockers sideways looking for a hole. Move them North and South and have them make a damn hole!

Our RBs always have to run east and west, to follow their blockers and we get stuffed!!!

RUN IT RIGHT AT THEM JOSH. POUND IT DOWN THEIR THROATS!!!!!!!!!!

Ravage!!!
09-29-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm pretty confident that the two are related. We are the leading pass team because we can't rush the ball. Orton had to throw the ball 57 times against the Colts. Thats absurd.

The good news is that in today's NFL, you don't really have to be a GOOD rushing team. The Colts aren't a good rushing team, and neither are the Saints. But you do have to have SOME kind of running game.

At least for now, the passing game is working (between the twenties). But lets be honest. We've seen this before. Teams have three games of tape on our current offense and will not have a SINGLE worry about our running game. That means our OL will be getting TONS of blitzes and pressures to deal with because every play the defense will bringing the heat.

If you saw the GB vs Bears game... thats what happens when you don't have a running game. Both QBs were getting TONS of pressure. We'll have to start using the philosophy of the Packers (and they did a fantastic job of it)... using the short passes AS their running game.

I think we'll start seeing more screeen passes and bubble screens to simply slow down the pass rush. I think Orton will be in more shotgun and RBs receiving a lot more passes to keep their LBs honest.

MileHighCrew
09-29-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't care if there is balance with our super passing attack, just enough running to keep the defence honest.

DenBronx
09-29-2010, 10:45 AM
I agree. Run north/south and just get the yards. No need to be flashy just get downfield and the yards will start racking up. It's ok to mix it up with the tosses and sweeps once everything is working but right now our primary goal should be to find the open read and run it up the gut for 4 or 5 yards at least. If we can just get the flippin run game going this offense will be a force for anyone in the NFL.

rcsodak
09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
How many paases didd manning throw last week? Rivers? Ypc are down this year, league wide. Not sure why. Better Dlines? I dunno.
I started a thread on this very subject. Is it easier to build an O with the run or the pass? It all starts with the Oline.

TXBRONC
09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't care if there is balance with our super passing attack, just enough running to keep the defence honest.

Even with as good as the passing game has been were still just 1-2. Not being able run the ball effectively is hurting us.

MileHighCrew
09-29-2010, 01:45 PM
That is my point, just run it enough to keep them honest. So far we are not doing that.

underrated29
09-29-2010, 01:51 PM
That is my point, just run it enough to keep them honest. So far we are not doing that.

and you are right. But imo I dont care about honesty. Just points. When we pass we get into the redzone. honest or not, let them deal with our Wideouts first....But we could sure use that run game in the redzone. Its like we have to score from 5 yards or further out, otherwise its a field goal.

broncophan
09-29-2010, 01:51 PM
at least McD and the coaching staff are trying to fix our running game......hopefully Moreno will be back this week and will continue tdo better.

MileHighCrew
09-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Wouldn't it be something after all the talk about our running game, if this week the Broncos came out and ran the ball for more yards than the Titans

Elevation inc
09-29-2010, 02:40 PM
i think the new guys on the OL just havent gotten it yet becasue it takes time, but this will come soon. I think the rb's are missing some reads, and arent in full game shape yet, i think the playcalling could be adjusted to more north and south with a lead FB.....overall if you dont think our run game is a issue and needs to be addressed fine, but im telling you in november when games get crucial and we are fighting for our F'in lives aint no team not named the colts or saints gonna make it far without a run game.....

its a issue josh is aware of and stated so...lets just hope he has an answer, becasue we need one and soon like with in the next 2-3 games.......

broncofaninfla
09-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Hopefully the Oline gels as the season progresses. With the lack of talent at RB we'll need them to do so or we'll be picking in the top 5 next year.

Elevation inc
09-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Hopefully the Oline gels as the season progresses. With the lack of talent at RB we'll need them to do so or we'll be picking in the top 5 next year.

there isnt a chance in hell we pick top 5 next year......and im sure when moreno gets healthy and our rooks on the OL get some fire in there ass, our run game will take off, it takes time for the OL to get the whole run block thing.....it did in 2008 when we had harris/and clady as noobs.....we were going through some of the same things while the kinks were being worked out.....