PDA

View Full Version : An Idea I Want Feedback On

Casey8605
09-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Hey everybody, first of all I'm a huge Broncos fan and have read these forums for a long time to keep up with the team but have never posted.

I have an idea that I would like some of your thoughts on...Quarterbacks are clearly taught that when a db turns his back away from the line of scrimmage to throw the ball to their back shoulder and let the wr make a play on the ball. Well I think that home teams can take this weapon away from any visiting team's offense through the use of some kind of loud noise played through the sound system in the stadium. As soon as any forward pass is thrown, a unique and distinctively loud noise can be played to alert defenders that the ball is in the air and they can turn to make a play on the ball. So many times on that particular throw the defender could easily have an interception if they only knew the ball was coming and turned around. There was one play that I remember in particular from the Colts game that Champ could have easily picked a pass that went to Wayne deep down the sideline if he had only turned around and found the ball.

I tend to think outside the box on new ways to improve things and thought this could be viable. I'd like to hear ya'lls feedback on this idea good and bad.

Northman
09-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the forums.

But, bad idea because its cheating.

Day1BroncoFan
09-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the forums.

But, bad idea because its cheating.

What make it cheating. Not that I am for nor against it but just wondering.

I don't think it would work any way.

camdisco24
09-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Welcome!!

I understand the idea, but a stadium couldn't (and shouldn't) do something like that. It goes against the rules, and IMO the "spirit" of the game. However, if a fan base came together to make a certain noise when a deep throw is made... then I have no problem with it. But utilizing the loud speakers to alert a player just isn't fair.

Northman
09-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Welcome!!

I understand the idea, but a stadium couldn't (and shouldn't) do something like that. It goes against the rules, and IMO the "spirit" of the game. However, if a fan base came together to make a certain noise when a deep throw is made... then I have no problem with it. But utilizing the loud speakers to alert a player just isn't fair.

^This for Day1.

Buff
09-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Can't play any noises over the PA while a play is in progress because it interferes with officiating.

But defenses have been doing this for years... Most defenders are taught to yell "pass" when they recognize that the QB is dropping back for a pass and then "ball" when the QB throws it. Obviously crowd noise makes that tough to hear in the NFL, but you can't gain an unfair advantage by using the PA to a home team's benefit. People used to accuse the Chiefs of pumping up the crowd noise with their PA - I don't know if that was ever proven or disproven.

DenBronx
09-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Why don't we just become hard core fans and yell ourselves? Why do we need a PA to do it?

Casey8605
09-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Welcome!!

I can see where you are coming from, but how is that different from the Seahawks or Chiefs intentionally building their stadium to capture noise and disrupt the visiting team's communication? In those cases, there is a distinct disadvantage to any visiting team that could be considered "unfair" or "cheating".

What if the fans were all given, or brought with them, cow bells and when the ball goes up the whole stadium rings their cowbells?

DenBronx
09-28-2010, 02:19 PM
I can see where you are coming from, but how is that different from the Seahawks or Chiefs intentionally building their stadium to capture noise and disrupt the visiting team's communication? In those cases, there is a distinct disadvantage to any visiting team that could be considered "unfair" or "cheating".

What if the fans were all given, or brought with them, cow bells and when the ball goes up the whole stadium rings their cowbells?

I think your getting into the 12th man area here. I think it's cheating if the PA makes unofficial noise but when you do it for real as a fan then it's ok.

Give me more cowbell please.

MileHighCrew
09-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Can't play any noises over the PA while a play is in progress because it interferes with officiating.

But defenses have been doing this for years... Most defenders are taught to yell "pass" when they recognize that the QB is dropping back for a pass and then "ball" when the QB throws it. Obviously crowd noise makes that tough to hear in the NFL, but you can't gain an unfair advantage by using the PA to a home team's benefit. People used to accuse the Chiefs of pumping up the crowd noise with their PA - I don't know if that was ever proven or disproven.

This is correct for years defenders have yelled pass at the beginning of a play when it is determined not a run. defenders will also yell BALL when the ball is thrown to help the DB turn to see the ball.

DenBronx
09-28-2010, 02:21 PM
By the way at one time we were the loudest stadium.

Northman
09-28-2010, 02:23 PM

To my knowledge there is nothing against bringing noise makers. The Ravens have their little crow whistles that they blow. But now we are just talking about "crowd" noise as opposed to running a noise through a PA system. There's no doubt that the crowd should get more involved but the onus is on them to do something like that. As far as how stadiums are built i dont think they really thought of as a preventive measure to create miscommunication for visiting teams. It may have just worked out that way.

camdisco24
09-28-2010, 02:32 PM

Harboring sound, IMO, isn't a problem. Its kind of a natural occurrence, even though the architecture was aimed at creating that distraction. Forcing sounds, and being in a loud environment are two different ideas.

To the second option... i really dont have a problem with that on the surface, but deep down I would get so sick of that. Kind of like the vuvuzela at the world cup... they got so annoying I just wanted to snap every since one of them. I like real fan noise, clapping, stomping, personally...

yardog
09-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Welcome.

KCL
09-28-2010, 02:37 PM

Arrowhead was built to "intentionally" capture noise and disrupt the visiting team...:confused: That stadium was completed in 1972...where did you get that info? I would like to know cause I have never heard that.

Northman
09-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Kind of like the vuvuzela at the world cup... they got so annoying I just wanted to snap every since one of them. I like real fan noise, clapping, stomping, personally...

My wife was complaining about the Vuvuzela but it never bothered me. :lol:

KCL
09-28-2010, 02:41 PM
To my knowledge there is nothing against bringing noise makers. The Ravens have their little crow whistles that they blow. But now we are just talking about "crowd" noise as opposed to running a noise through a PA system. There's no doubt that the crowd should get more involved but the onus is on them to do something like that. As far as how stadiums are built i dont think they really thought of as a preventive measure to create miscommunication for visiting teams. It may have just worked out that way.

Exactly...Arrowhead was built and the Chiefs played their first season there in 1972...I have read that it was built way ahead of it's time as far as the design...The crowd at Arrowhead is CRAZY LOUD...That's the fans getting into it...I mean damn look how many people attend football games...pro and college.

I Eat Staples
09-28-2010, 02:45 PM

You can build a stadium to capture noise, you can't play artificial noise over the PA. The Colts were accused of pumping crowd noise, which is cheating.

I think the cowbells thing depends on the stadium, or maybe the sport? I've seen the Tampa Bay Rays have cowbells in the world series, and I've seen some other stadiums allowing noisemakers, but I think some stadiums don't allow it. Not sure here but I've seen them both allowed and disallowed.

I Eat Staples
09-28-2010, 02:56 PM
My wife was complaining about the Vuvuzela but it never bothered me. :lol:

How in the world did they not get tired of blowing them? It was constant. And it would annoy the hell out of me if I was at the game, I'd have no interest in being part of that. But I guess it's their culture.

Northman
09-28-2010, 03:02 PM
How in the world did they not get tired of blowing them? It was constant. And it would annoy the hell out of me if I was at the game, I'd have no interest in being part of that. But I guess it's their culture.

Yea, soccer fans are crazy and very passionate about that sport. Im not nearly as passionate for soccer but come World Cup time i sit down and watch.

I Eat Staples
09-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Yea, soccer fans are crazy and very passionate about that sport. Im not nearly as passionate for soccer but come World Cup time i sit down and watch.

I only watched the final game and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Except for the storm of angry bees.

BroncoWave
09-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I think your getting into the 12th man area here. I think it's cheating if the PA makes unofficial noise but when you do it for real as a fan then it's ok.

Give me more cowbell please.

As a Mississippi State fan, I am for more cowbell!

cJ1YRC4aswQ

rcsodak
09-28-2010, 03:18 PM
how long before every team did this? Then it becomes detrimental the other 8 games.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

camdisco24
09-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Yeah, My hometown is a huge soccer town and if you think football fans are crazy... soccer fans top them easily. I mean, in some countries if a player makes a critical mistake that loses a game, they literally have to go into hiding because people will be out to kill them. Thats what I call hardcore.

spikerman
09-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Why don't we just become hard core fans and yell ourselves? Why do we need a PA to do it?

Because if they tried a lot of the crowd at Invesco would spill their wine and drop their cheese.

GEM
09-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Exactly...Arrowhead was built and the Chiefs played their first season there in 1972...I have read that it was built way ahead of it's time as far as the design...The crowd at Arrowhead is CRAZY LOUD...That's the fans getting into it...I mean damn look how many people attend football games...pro and college.

There is definitely something to an older stadium allowing for more noise. The old ones kind of bowl in on themselves and the entire things used to be made of steel. Now there is so much concrete in the build that it isn't inclusive to increasing crowd noise. Mile High Stadium held less people than Invesco, but Invesco couldn't hold a stick to Mile High in terms of noise.

OrangeHoof
09-28-2010, 05:53 PM
First, welcome.

It was the Colts, not the Chiefs, who pumped crowd noise through the PA speakers. That's not allowed.

The public address announcer is a de facto employee of the team, much as the clock operator is. They aren't allowed to adversely affect anything going on on the field.

The fans, on the other hand, can make noise as long as they stay off the field and don't incite a riot. Unruly fans can be ejected, just as they can in baseball or basketball, at the direction of the officials but an entire group that yells "ball" when the pass is thrown can't truly be policed.

I remember watching a Pirates-Braves game many years ago at Three Rivers where a pop foul was hit near the left field stands. The Pirates had a ballgirl sitting on a stool and when she saw the pop coming to her, she decided to run from it and inadvertently threw a nifty body block into the Braves' left fielder as the ball fell harmlessly in foul territory.

The Braves were upset but the umpires ruled that the ballgirl was "part of the field" and could not be held accountable for disrupting the play (although there have been bat boys who have caused a pop to be ruled out for interference). After that, I figured the Pirates would be smart to have big fat-ass ballgirls instead of cute little hotties so the ballgirls could break up more plays down the lines.

I say all this to explain that, yeah, I love out-of-the-box ideas to give the home team an edge but this particular idea would be held against the rules.

I Eat Staples
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
First, welcome.

It was the Colts, not the Chiefs, who pumped crowd noise through the PA speakers. That's not allowed.

The public address announcer is a de facto employee of the team, much as the clock operator is. They aren't allowed to adversely affect anything going on on the field.

The fans, on the other hand, can make noise as long as they stay off the field and don't incite a riot. Unruly fans can be ejected, just as they can in baseball or basketball, at the direction of the officials but an entire group that yells "ball" when the pass is thrown can't truly be policed.

I remember watching a Pirates-Braves game many years ago at Three Rivers where a pop foul was hit near the left field stands. The Pirates had a ballgirl sitting on a stool and when she saw the pop coming to her, she decided to run from it and inadvertently threw a nifty body block into the Braves' left fielder as the ball fell harmlessly in foul territory.

The Braves were upset but the umpires ruled that the ballgirl was "part of the field" and could not be held accountable for disrupting the play (although there have been bat boys who have caused a pop to be ruled out for interference). After that, I figured the Pirates would be smart to have big fat-ass ballgirls instead of cute little hotties so the ballgirls could break up more plays down the lines.

I say all this to explain that, yeah, I love out-of-the-box ideas to give the home team an edge but this particular idea would be held against the rules.

If I was that Braves player I would have run her ass over the next time a foul ball was hit anywhere near her.

Ravage!!!
09-29-2010, 01:15 AM
Arrowhead was built to "intentionally" capture noise and disrupt the visiting team...:confused: That stadium was completed in 1972...where did you get that info? I would like to know cause I have never heard that.

Neither have I. I know Seattle's new stadium was built to push more noise onto the field, but not Arrowhead.

Either way, thats not illegal. Using the PA system is, and is stated so in the rules. Other wise, you could have the PA system try to make a noise RIGHT as the QB was about to throw the ball, or chime in louder crowd noise (which the Colts were accused of doing and had to go through an NFL inspection), make some kind of distraction when a receiver was trying to catch a long ball, or make a noise to try and make the OL jump offsides.

:wave: Welcome to the boards

Dzone
09-29-2010, 01:39 AM
I think every fan should have their very own vuvuzula and blow them nonstop the whole game...how cool would that be?...LOL

sneakers
09-29-2010, 02:01 AM
The NFL would only approve of this if it was in Foxboro.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2010, 10:25 AM
There was no stadium louder for crowd noise than Mile High when everyone would stomp their feet when the visiting team had the ball. If I remember correctly, the NFL did implement a rule that if the visiting team could not hear the signals, play would be stopped, without any penalty to the visiting team. Not sure if that is still in place or not.

Found the following article:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-07-29-stadium-noise_N.htm

NFL raising the roof on noise meter at stadiums this season

The NFL is relaxing its strict rules on crowd noise for the new season as part of an initiative to improve the in-stadium experience for millions of fans, says chief marketing officer Mark Waller.

The league will allow home clubs to incite the 12th man with visual noise meters and scoreboard messages such as "Let's Hear It!" and "Raise the Roof!" while the visiting team's call plays. Clubs must cease when the play clock hits 15 seconds. As before, fans can't use noisemakers (no vuvuzelas). And teams are not allowed to pump in artificial crowd noise.

The NFL previously prohibited clubs from using these messages during the 40-second play clock out of concern they'd interfere with the visiting teams. But the league believes coach-to-quarterback radio communications and silent snap counts are advanced enough, says Waller.

weazel
09-29-2010, 01:29 PM
back in the '80's when the Twins were doing well... they played in the metrodome which used giant fans to blow air around the dome. When the Twins were at bat the fans would be setup to blow the air out towards center field so the ball would carry further. When the opposition was at bat, the fans would be set to push the ball back towards home plate.

no lie...