PDA

View Full Version : WR unit

silkamilkamonico
09-27-2010, 01:26 AM
It is of my opinion that Denver has one of, if not the best, WR unit right now in the NFL.

- in 3 games we have 4 WR's with 140+ yards.

- we have more receiving yards froom our WR's than any other team

- our WR's have more yards collectively than 27 other teams have passing yards total

- we do not have a current #1 talent/production (yet), but we have 4 WR's that are fully capable of playing a #2 role.

With DThomas/Lloyd/Royal/Gaffney, what WR's do we have that will be mainstays in the organization, barring some contractual/health issues?

-DThomas is our future, and our future is now.
-Royal is likely a mainstay I believe.
-I believe Lloyd should be a mainstay with the way he's playing.
-Gaffney can play any one of our WR positions. I love his versatility and believe he's a great compliment, anywhere.

Matt Willis and Eric Decker are nice looking young talents, but I believe if our starting 4 continue to play the way they are, there is no role for them in the immediate future barring injury. I don't think that's a bad thing at all, it's just a testament to our WR unit.

I think it's awesome to see the impact our WR's are making, especially after so many years where that group was very questionable in terms of depth.

DenBronx
09-27-2010, 01:42 AM
I would trade one of them at this point for some help on defense. Some teams are in desperate need of a WR.

But...not trying to hijack the thread so I'll stay on topic.

The main 4 you mentioned I think should remain the starters as well. Only thing I would change would be giving Royal more KR/PR duties and that would mean giving Decker a little bit of playing time in the slot.

And I wouldn't dress Quinn the rest of the year just so we could play 5 WR's.

silkamilkamonico
09-27-2010, 01:54 AM
I don't necessarily disagree with trading one for help on defense, but I think I'd rather keep who we have and continue to build the defense.

I don't know what's up with Quinn either. I also don't think McDaniels wants to go to 2 TE sets despite what people think his offensive scheme is. It wouldn't surprise me to see him continue to go with 3+ WR sets.

I also think the commentor of the game made a great comment when he said the offense is coaching oriented, in the staff devices the scheme to put the WR's in great positions to make plays. Watching Denver's passing game is a pleasure. Guys are wide open when they make catches and or single coverage with separation on crossing and out routes.

If the oline can continue to progress and develop, this offense is going to be so tough, and fun to watch in the passing game. At least between the 20's anyway.

DenBronx
09-27-2010, 01:59 AM
I meant Brady Quinn....actually anyone named Quinn on the team is fine. :laugh:

Canmore
09-27-2010, 02:00 AM
If the oline can continue to progress and develop, this offense is going to be so tough, and fun to watch in the passing game. At least between the 20's anyway.

That is the problem, we are great between the 20's but we are pathetic in the red zone.

CrazyHorse
09-27-2010, 02:28 AM
That is the problem, we are great between the 20's but we are pathetic in the red zone.

All too familiar.

Elevation inc
09-27-2010, 03:26 AM
no doubt are main issue for this week should be redzone packages......

but MCd did right with kyle and our Wr's, and our OL can also pass block like a Mo fo just like 08.....not sure about how to fix our run game.....its clear that the new OL isnt gelling there yet(probally due to youth and injuries), there were quite a few times where i saw kuper and beadles going back and forth trying to figure out who was at fault, and daniels had a few moments where he just looked like he didnt know what to do.....

it seems to me watching the tape that we are blowing up the LOS, but we arent finishing......guys arent getting to the second level they are realeasing or not finishing blocks......we need some nasty want to there....I think it will come but it may take a bit for them to figure it all out......

gobroncsnv
09-27-2010, 07:05 AM
kinda torn on the idea that we have to try to "punch it in" when we get inside the 5. The fact that we get a TD HOWEVER we can get it done should be paramount. If we're opening holes and gashing for 6+ yards on a steady basis during the drive, then go for the off-tackle dive play, but when our back has a total of 24 yards rushing for the game, then by all means, try a few more passes at the goal line.