PDA

View Full Version : Team needs a kick returner

robert ethan
09-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Cox is out by all appearances. He had 3 games to show something and is currently at the bottom of the pack in both kick and punt return average. The fumble today pretty much sealed it. Royal is needed as a pass receiver, I don't think they want to overuse him in the return game. Perhaps Cassius Vaughn will get a shot. Otherwise the team needs to find someone out there. As it is the team is handicapped by about 40 yards per game in the kick exchanges.

Northman
09-27-2010, 01:07 AM
They could try to use Thompson who had some moments in preseason. But im not sure McD gives up on Cox just yet, he is a rookie and will make some mistakes like he did today.

sneakers
09-27-2010, 01:07 AM
We have needed a kick returner for 30 years now.

Ziggy
09-27-2010, 01:20 AM
Sid Quan looks like he has the goods, but who do you sit to activate him on game day?

DenBronx
09-27-2010, 01:26 AM
If Joshua Cribbs can play both positions then why can't Royal? I don't think it's over using him at all. We have alot of young WR's that can fill in until he gets a breather or something and they need to see the field anyway. Decker anyone???

Royal should be doing both kick and punt returns because he's the best on the team at it.

The Cox return project I hope is over. He sucks!

GEM
09-27-2010, 01:32 AM
I was hoping since Syd'quan was active today we would get a look at him on returns.

Canmore
09-27-2010, 02:05 AM
If Joshua Cribbs can play both positions then why can't Royal? I don't think it's over using him at all. We have alot of young WR's that can fill in until he gets a breather or something and they need to see the field anyway. Decker anyone???

Royal should be doing both kick and punt returns because he's the best on the team at it.

The Cox return project I hope is over. He sucks!

I agree. Eddie Royal should be returning both kickoffs and punts. He's had a couple of nice punt returns nullified by penalties.

DenBronx
09-27-2010, 02:13 AM
I agree. Eddie Royal should be returning both kickoffs and punts. He's had a couple of nice punt returns nullified by penalties.

He has much better hands and is so much better in open space. I think he gives us the best return average.

And he's actually done it before. Not sure why he was ever pulled from this?

Canmore
09-27-2010, 02:18 AM
He has much better hands and is so much better in open space. I think he gives us the best return average.

Me either. He has a natural feel for returning kicks. Like you said, he is so much more dangerous in open space.

Lonestar
09-27-2010, 02:28 AM

because he was wore out as a WR by doing double duty.

Canmore
09-27-2010, 02:37 AM
because he was wore out as a WR by doing double duty.

Eddie's the slot receiver this year and not on the field all of the time. He has young legs. Return duty shouldn't wear him out.

CrazyHorse
09-27-2010, 03:05 AM
We have needed a kick returner for 30 years now.

Darrien Gordon was decent. Eddie Royal has shown flashes.

sneakers
09-27-2010, 03:32 AM

Gordon was a good punt returner....didn't we have like Derrick Loville returning kicks back then?

edit: or was him or some other RB I remember

BroncoWave
09-27-2010, 07:29 AM
I was also going to mention Darrien Gordon. I was young when he played but I remember him being pretty damn good.

As for Royal, I fully agree that he should be full time KR/PR. Sure it may be an extra 5-10 touches a game at most but if he can't handle that he probably shouldn't be in the NFL.

And if McD just doesn't want to put him in that role, I don't see why he doesn't give Cassius or Syd'Quan a shot. They couldn't do much worse than Cox.

rcsodak
09-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Eddie's the slot receiver this year and not on the field all of the time. He has young legs. Return duty shouldn't wear him out.
so much for not using starters for fear of injury, huh? Good grief...its wk 3! Give the kid a chance!! :tsk:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

OldschoolFreak
09-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Sheesh. One fumble and people throw him under the bus! I think Cox has the skills. Use him as your actual return threat and have Royal available as your hands guy. I love Eddie but when he doesn't have a lot of space he doesn't do much on returns. Cox on the other hand can fabricate yards in creative ways.

dogfish
09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
I was hoping since Syd'quan was active today we would get a look at him on returns.

^^ this ^^

get the kid back there. . . .

robert ethan
09-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Sheesh. One fumble and people throw him under the bus! I think Cox has the skills. Use him as your actual return threat and have Royal available as your hands guy. I love Eddie but when he doesn't have a lot of space he doesn't do much on returns. Cox on the other hand can fabricate yards in creative ways.

It wasn't just the fumble. Cox' return averages are among the worst in the league for kickoffs and punts. He wasn't any better in camp, and he wasn't that great in college. I think the fumble was the point where McDaniels "threw him under the bus". Cox didn't get another chance to return a kick after that.

NightTrainLayne
09-27-2010, 01:03 PM
It's only week three, and as far as kick-off returns go, we've had 2 games of our three at Mile High where Kick-off returns are few and far between.

I hope Cox gets another crack at it. I've watched him at Oklahoma State these past few years, and he is the real deal. He muffed that one yesterday bigger than Dallas, but he has the talent to do it. He looked great in the pre-season imo.

Dreadnought
09-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Reuben Droughs was an excellent KO returner, too.

nevcraw
09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Maybe we shoudl cut cox so he can go on to be stud returner with the Giants..

-----------------------------------------

i'm willing to give him a little more time.. He's a rookie - and he will make mistakes but at some point "boom" - he will take it to the house..

CrazyHorse
09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
What are the intricacies in difference between returning a punt vs returning a kick? Can't the same person do both?

Thnikkaman
09-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Lance Ball

Lance Ball

Lance Ball Lance Ball Lance Ball Lance Ball Lance Ball Lance Ball Lance Ball

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16206904?source=rss

Perrish Cox has muffed the punt-return job back to Eddie Royal.

Cox, a promising rookie whose first-quarter muff of Pat McAfee punt set up a short Indianapolis Colts's field goal on Sunday, will continue to return kickoffs.

But those more pressure-packed returns on punts — where the ball hangs seemingly forever while one or two defenders bear down at full speed — will most often be handled by the more experienced and sure-handed Royal.

"We don't like when we drop the ball on the ground, certainly nobody does," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said today. "As a young player, you don't want to throw away every opportunity that we have as a returner (just) because he's made a mistake or two."

McDaniels had tried to spare Royal return duties because of Royals' heavy workload at receiver in the first two games. After Cox's muff in the Broncos' 27-13 loss to the Colts, Royal returned the next four punts, for an impressive 57 yards.

Royal's returns may have come at the expense of his receiving, though, as he had four catches for only 23 yards.

Meanwhile, right tackle Ryan Harris (left ankle) and cornerback Andre' Goodman (thigh) returned to practice Wednesday. Among those who did not practice where receiver Brandon Lloyd, safety Brian Dawkins, running back Knowshon Moreno and fullback Spencer Larsen.

Bosco
09-29-2010, 03:51 PM

Royal is only the slot receiver in 3 and 4 wide sets. He's usually playing flanker in 2 receiver sets.

Bosco
09-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Gordon was a good punt returner....didn't we have like Derrick Loville returning kicks back then?

edit: or was him or some other RB I remember

Darrien Gordon is arguably one of the greatest punt returners to ever play the game. I'm still bitter about dumping him and Atwater to sign Dale Carter.

Oh, and Vaughn Hebron is the running back you are thinking of.

Ziggy
09-29-2010, 04:12 PM
2 pages and no one has mentioned that fact that the blocking is as poor on returns as the coverage is on kicks. What we need is a new special teams coach.

dogfish
09-29-2010, 05:02 PM
syd! syd! syd!

dogfish
09-29-2010, 05:02 PM
What we need is a new special teams coach.

yes please!

DenBronx
09-29-2010, 05:36 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16206904?source=rss

Perrish Cox has muffed the punt-return job back to Eddie Royal.

Thank God!

NOW GO MAKE A PLAY EDDIE!!!!!!!

honz
09-29-2010, 08:08 PM
God bless Mike Priefer.

EMB6903
09-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Syd'Quan Thompson should be returning punts and KO's every time he suits.

dogfish
09-29-2010, 08:11 PM
God bless Mike Priefer.

****!

:lol::lol:

LRtagger
09-29-2010, 08:45 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/2649793071_5aa9d6b5de.jpg