PDA

View Full Version : Colts game was the not the blowout I feared.

scott.475
09-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Honestly, I really thought this was going to be a terribly ugly game for us. I think we beat ourselves as much as we got beaten by the Colts.

Our run D was pretty good today, a surprise to me. We did a better job with their receivers than I was expecting. Since I did not expect us to win (though I hoped we would) I did not even mind the gutsy 4th down calls.

Maroney was horrible today. Aside from his one long run after a catch, that guy was getting stopped on first contact every single time. Horrible, 12 carries for 24 whole yards. Why did coach have faith in him to make a TD running left, when he did nothing the previous 3 runs? Not to be a jerk, and I do know it is water under the bridge and I really am not too hung up on it, but Hillis had 144 yards on 22 carries against the Ravens today, and is averaging 6.1ypc this year.

The thing that really, really drives me crazy, and it is not just when we play the Colts, is that I almost never have faith we can stop teams on 3rd and really long. I am not talking 3rd and 7, I mean 3rd and 15 or 20. I really don't know what happens to us in those situations. I know Peyton is probably going to retire as the best QB of all time, but I have no clue how we give up 27 yards on a 3rd and 20!

Also, I don't like to harp on being victimized by the officials, but our game was not a good showing for them. I have no clue how they failed to call TWO interference penalties in the left side of the endzone, yet saw a phantom illegal shift against us on the right side of the line.

Anyway, I think we hung in there better than the score would indicate, and certainly better than I expected. I hate losing, but I am not as disappointed at this loss as I expected to be, I was fearing they would hang 35 or more points on us.

PAINTERDAVE
09-26-2010, 07:21 PM
The Broncos have the talent to have won today...
they are just not consistant...
they make mistakes...
and the breaks just did not go our way today.

Cox got BURNED twice... and let's not talk about that muffed punt.

If Goodman had not been injured...

ah... if "If's and buts were candy and nuts..."

muse
09-26-2010, 07:28 PM
We could have won, we didn't. It mirrors the game last year, but I was quite impressed with Wink today. Yeah, we needed a turnover or two, but on the whole we did pretty well. Hopefully this D will grow over the season. The O obviously needs polish, execution and a break on the injuries front. All in all, this was always going to be a tough match (essentially our passing O vs theirs) and the guys acquitted themselves pretty well. But where we were half a yard short, they gained theirs. That's the difference between a contender and an up-and-comer.

rcsodak
09-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Thats the problem you deal with when you're having to play rooks. 2holding calls on JD. 2 wrong routes by DT. Cox's muff and 2 td's allowed. Beadles getting blown up by mathis.
Good on KO and his passing. I think we can put the "noodle arm" to sleep now. Dont know why they didnt call a sneak at the 1......... :tsk:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

MileHiWildcat
09-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Blah Blah Blah Moral Victory Blah Blah Blah. 1-2 ain't cutting it.

Day1BroncoFan
09-26-2010, 08:28 PM
We beat ourselves today. :nod:

scott.475
09-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Blah Blah Blah Moral Victory Blah Blah Blah. 1-2 ain't cutting it.

I never claimed a moral victory, and never said 1-2 was cutting it. I said it was not the blowout I was expecting, considering what our history with the Colts has been.

MasterShake
09-26-2010, 08:42 PM
I never claimed a moral victory, and never said 1-2 was cutting it. I said it was not the blowout I was expecting, considering what our history with the Colts has been.

And it was SIMPLE things that would have put us in great position to win this game. Things that can be corrected in this very early season. Short of a collapse in the next few weeks, I think we can get a good 10 wins still with the talent we have.

OrangeHoof
09-26-2010, 09:15 PM
The defense didn't play poorly until late.

McD left at least six points on the field by going on fourth down.

MasterShake
09-26-2010, 09:20 PM
The defense didn't play poorly until late.

McD left at least six points on the field by going on fourth down.

And we gave the Colts 10 points on turnovers. Actually looking back, the playcalling was good but the execution sucked. On the big 4th down plays Orton seemed to have a miscommunication with the timing or something. The recalled TD before the half was a killer, too.

JaxBroncoGirl
09-26-2010, 10:26 PM
And we gave the Colts 10 points on turnovers. Actually looking back, the playcalling was good but the execution sucked. On the big 4th down plays Orton seemed to have a miscommunication with the timing or something. The recalled TD before the half was a killer, too.

We played ok against a good team. We have not played a team of this caliber, to date. We have other options and we can learn from what we did wrong today. I am proud about the game today because it could have been a lot worse. Go Broncos!!!!!!!!!!!

TimTebow15MVP
09-26-2010, 10:41 PM
This team will be awesome. this offense is top 2-3 in the league. the broncos haf 5 redzone trips and scored zero touchdowns. thats the bad part but we can move the ball on the best of them. we have tooooooooo many weapons. the OL is dominant in the passing game. today i watched the game twice. we actually had some running plays where the OL created some nice lanes only for maroney and buck to approach it shy instead of hitting it hard. but they were there. we need maroney to get comfortable and we need moreno back because hed hit the holes i saw today and busted a couple 25 yarders easy.

the defense played well they just gave up some big plays. we also didnt make plays when we needed too like the int hill coulda had and the near strip fumble of peyton manning ayers ALMOST had. we stuffed the run when they tryed to run. we got stops but the offense just didnt FINISH. phil simms said the broncos are gonna be a team to be wreckin with based on our offense alone. its that explosive aslong as we FINISH which im confident that we will. like i said weeks ago this team will be hitting on all strides come week 5-6. were only 1-2. could very well be 2-1 had we finished our drives today.

MileHighCrew
09-27-2010, 10:39 AM
I believe Josh was intimidated into making the decissions that cost the Broncos the win yesterday. All you hear all the time is against the Colts you have to get TDs FGs wont do ect.... Well the D was excellent and if Josh would have stuck with the points it would have been close.
I am not crashing on him for these choices, as they took guts and even more he was playing to win and not to not lose. I respect that. However, there is a reason you take the points.
It is a growning process and if yesterday showed anything it is these Broncos are good enough to play with any team in the NFL, and I am not confident that anyone was sure about that before yesterday.

MasterShake
09-27-2010, 11:36 AM
I believe Josh was intimidated into making the decissions that cost the Broncos the win yesterday. All you hear all the time is against the Colts you have to get TDs FGs wont do ect.... Well the D was excellent and if Josh would have stuck with the points it would have been close.
I am not crashing on him for these choices, as they took guts and even more he was playing to win and not to not lose. I respect that. However, there is a reason you take the points.
It is a growning process and if yesterday showed anything it is these Broncos are good enough to play with any team in the NFL, and I am not confident that anyone was sure about that before yesterday.

Great point. They started to believe the hype about the Colts despite playing them well most of the game. The cool thing is that if we are lucky enough to get to the playoffs and maybe play the Colts again, I think we learn from our mistakes and match up well. We may not win, mind you, but it won't be embarassing.

Lonestar
09-27-2010, 12:08 PM
I firmly believe you go for the gusto opposed to playing it safe. Especially against manning and his offense.

We had ten plus years of going for the fgs instead of the TDs.

I'm glad to see the coach has confidence in the O or is trying to build it.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

T.K.O.
09-27-2010, 12:16 PM
i think the broncos definately threw away a great chance at a win.
when you face the colts you can't afford big mistakes,the muffed punt and the 5 trips in the red with 6 points is impossible to overcome .even if you play well on offense and D (which the broncos did).
i will say however this has got to be a great learning experience for the team.
they can now see that if they play tough for 4 qtrs.they can compete with the best of em'
i say watch out nfl.the broncos may be 1-2 but they are playing at a pretty high level and should prove to be a test for any team on the schedule !
if we can get healthy and hit our stride in the next couple weeks.this very well could be the first year in a while that the team gets better as the season rolls on