PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Little receiving Hall of Fame ring at Sunday's Broncos game

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16164917?source=rss

Broncos Hall of Fame running back Floyd Little talks to the media today at Dove Valley. Little will be honored at Sunday's game at Invesco Field at Mile High. (The Denver Post / John Leyba)

This is one time Floyd Little doesn't mind being just a number.

For Little will be honored at halftime of the Broncos-Colts game Sunday because he is No. 257. As in Pro Football Hall of Famer No. 257.

"The good thing about being in this selective group ... is they can't cut you, they can't trade you, you are in for eternity," Little said.

And for that, Little will formally receive his Hall of Fame ring from the Hall's president/executive director Steve Perry in front of many of the same season-ticket holders who filled the seats in Little's playing days.

"I can't imagine what it will be like in the stadium," Little said. "Every year that I come back — and I've been back ever year since the Ring of Fame announcement — when they announce my name it's just the loudest cheer ... until John Elway retired."

Little was elected to the Hall of Fame this past February and was formally enshrined in August in Canton, Ohio.

In addition to attending the Pro Bowl, another reward is that the former player is presented his Hall of Fame ring in the city where he played.

Little said Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has made it a "Floyd Little weekend."

"He's an extraordinary person," Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels said. "And obviously a great player."

McDaniels had originally planned to have Little speak to the team at some point leading up to Sunday's game against the Colts. But with the Broncos still reeling emotionally from wide receiver Kenny McKinley's death Monday, the two decided it would better to wait for another day this season.

"We talked about it and I respect his opinion on that," McDaniels said. "There will be a great time for that to take place and it will take place. ... For him to have an influence on our younger players would be great. Our team would really relish the opportunity."

Ravage!!!
09-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Sweeet!!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
09-25-2010, 05:28 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/moreno-harris-out/

Welcome to Floyd Little Weekend.

The newest Bronco in the Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Denver to receive his Hall of Fame ring at halftime on Sunday. He will be joined by several other Broncos Ring of Fame members and President and CEO Pat Bowlen during the ceremony.

“The greatest thing is that the Broncos have given this weekend for me,” Little said while visiting Dove Valley on Friday. “Pat Bowlen has made it a Floyd Little Weekend, which in itself is an honor. To have my family here, which I admire and love and respect, to have them here to be a part of it, to have many of my teammates here that I played with while I was here to be a part of that — it’s a special moment for me.”

Little was enshrined in Canton, Ohio, in August, and after receiving his gold jacket and bronze bust, the ring is the third and final symbol of his induction into the elite fraternity.

And he wouldn’t have it any other way than to receive it in front of the Broncos faithful.

“The crowd here has been so supportive and so loyal over the years,” Little said. “I can’t imagine what it will be like in the stadium.”

During the team’s alumni weekend, he will have a chance to reconnect with old teammates and younger former Broncos, who occasionally give him a hard time.

Billy Thompson, for one, nicknamed Little “Folks,” short for Old Folks, just to poke at the running back’s age.

“So I have two nicknames — ‘Folks’ and ‘The Franchise,’” Little smiled. “I think I like ‘The Franchise’ better.”

And the Franchise is comfortable knowing that he will forever be among the greatest to ever play the game.

“The good thing about being in this selected group of players — they can’t cut you, they can’t fire you and they can’t trade you. You are in for eternity and it’s great,” Little said. “Boy, that is one great feeling to have — to be a part of that.”

Denver Native (Carol)
09-25-2010, 05:31 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Honoring-a-Hall-of-Famer/4616baf7-d197-4cd6-a776-69e8e46e4532

Floyd Little was the man of honor at the Broncos alumni banquet at INVESCO Field at Mile High Friday.

DENVER -- On Friday night, players, coaches and staff members from five decades of Broncos football got together to celebrate one man -- Floyd Little.

The newest member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame to have worn a Broncos uniform for his entire career was the man of honor at an alumni banquet at INVESCO Field at Mile High. So not only did Broncos from the past get to reminisce with one another, they got to congratulate one of their own.

"It's a wonderful opportunity, and this one's extra special because of Floyd," said Charley Johnson, who was the quarterback during Little's last few years with the Broncos. "It's real easy to celebrate with and for him. But I'm a Bronco forever and so many of these guys had a big part in what was a real fun time for me here as a Bronco. It's great to get back, and I get back every chance I get."

The alumni weekend happens every year, a chance for everyone in the Broncos family to get together.

"You go back to old memories, old fish stories, you start talking and telling them about how good you were," said Ring of Famer Randy Gradishar. "You know you’re talking to somebody — and the great thing about the alumni weekend is sometimes you haven’t met, or you’ve really only heard the name of a former Bronco, and it gives you the opportunity to create a conversation and to be able to relate with them a little bit even if they played in the '60s, or if they played in the '90s or 2000s."

That's a credit, Jim Turner said, to President and CEO Pat Bowlen.

"It's a great chance to understand the Broncos have got the best owner in all of sport," the Ring of Famer said. "It's a great chance to reminisce. I'm seeing some guys -- even though I live here -- that I haven't seen for a long time. It's good to see them."

But through all the festivities, the night -- and weekend -- was devoted to Little. The running back's Hall of Fame bust stood front and center for all to admire, alongside a No. 44 jersey and plenty of photos scattered throughout the room.

When the man of the hour arrived, he was overwhelmed by the amount of love he received from former teammates and some Broncos who he had only met briefly.

"It's perfect," Little beamed. "It's difficult because I can't get from one to the other because we've got so many stories to share. So many guys want to congratulate me and give me a hug."

His roommate for nine years with the Broncos, Fran Lynch, shared a big hug with the Hall of Famer. He recalled where he was when he heard his teammate finally made it to Canton, Ohio.

"A friend of mine texted me and it just said, 'Floyd made it,'" he said. "Then going to Canton, I got to see him for a total of about 30 seconds, because he was just moving all over the place. It was a great experience. When he was up on the stage and his son introduced him, which I thought was one of the better introductions, I got a little misty. It was neat."

A band played as the former Broncos enjoyed drinks and hors d'oeuvres before heading to their tables for dinner and a handful of speeches.

The event was a precursor to this Sunday, when Little will receive the final token of his enshrinement into the Hall of Fame -- his ring.

"75 or 80,000 people screaming, I get a ring that I'll cherish for a lifetime, I'll wear it every day -- probably even sleep in it," Little said. "I'm just so proud to have been a Bronco for all my career and to be a part of this organization and part of this franchise. I'm just so thrilled."

His former teammates are just as excited for the moment.

"I'm not going to miss that," Johnson said. "I hope it's packed. I bet it is."

MasterShake
09-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Heading down to the stadium early tomorrow. Looking forward to this and a double digit win against the Colts! :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Heading down to the stadium early tomorrow. Looking forward to this and a double digit win against the Colts! :lol:

It should be great - honoring Floyd, as well as "alumni weekend" - HAVE FUN - AND OF COURSE - ENJOY THE WIN:salute:

Day1BroncoFan
09-25-2010, 07:10 PM
'bout damn time. :salute: