PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Bailey, Goodman miss practice, but still hopeful for Sunday

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2010, 04:39 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16154289?source=rsssimplepiebroncos

If they were playing, say, the quarterback-challenged Chicago Bears of the late 1960s, Broncos cornerbacks Champ Bailey and Andre' Goodman might be too gimpy to play Sunday.

But nothing rushes the healing process of pass defenders like a game against Peyton Manning.

Bailey (heel) and Goodman (thigh) will miss their second consecutive practice today. But all indications are they are getting pushed in the trainer's room and conditioning center in hopes they can play when the Broncos host Manning and the Indianapolis Colts at Invesco Field at Mile High.

"Both of them are doing better," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said today. "We're definitely hopeful they will continue to get better in the next couple days here. We're certainly not ruling anybody out of the game."

If Bailey, or Goodman, or both, can't play, the Broncos' defensive back replacements are all rookies — Perrish Cox, Syd'Quan Thompson and Cassius Vaughn. There is one other veteran cornerback, Nate Jones, who is the Broncos' top nickelback.

Jones could start at cornerback.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2010, 04:45 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/09/23/ryan-harris-out/5328/

The comeback of starting right tackle Ryan Harris was put on hold after one practice.

Harris missed the first two regular-season games after suffering a left ankle injury in the final preseason game at Minnesota. He apparently will not play again this Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts after he was not out for practice today.

Zane Beadles, a rookie drafted in the second round, is expected to get his third start at right tackle against the Colts.

Jamal Williams also did not participate in practice Thursday, although it’s not unusual that the 34-year-old nose tackle to get a practice off each week.

Cornerbacks Champ Bailey (heel) and Andre’ Goodman (thigh) were also out for a second consecutive day.

Returning to practice was backup linebacker/special teams captain Wesley Woodyard, who missed last week’s game against Seattle with a hamstring injury.

DenBronx
09-23-2010, 07:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-banged-upbailey

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey(notes) hobbled around the room, barely allowing his sore right heel to strike the ground.

And this is improvement for the perennial Pro Bowler who walked out of the stadium on crutches last Sunday following a win over Seattle.

This isn’t the best of weeks for the Broncos secondary to be banged up with Peyton Manning(notes) and the high-powered Indianapolis Colts offense coming to Invesco Field on Sunday.

AdChoices
Not only is Bailey bothered by a foot injury, but fellow cornerback Andre’ Goodman(notes) has a thigh ailment. They both missed another day of practice Thursday.

“They’re doing better,” Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. “We’re definitely hopeful that they’ll continue to get better in the next couple of days. We’re certainly not ruling anybody out of the game.”

If veterans Bailey and Goodman can’t go, Manning will see some combination of rookies Perrish Cox(notes), Cassius Vaughn(notes) and Syd’Quan Thompson(notes), maybe the more experienced Nate Jones as well.

“I don’t plan on letting them play in my spot,” Bailey said, grinning. “It’s always good to get some experience regardless of who you play.

“But you want to have a lot more when you play a guy like Peyton.”

Manning has been able to pick apart whomever lines up in Denver’s defensive backfield the last several years, especially when the team plays a young cornerback.

In a 2004 AFC wild-card playoff game, Roc Alexander(notes) was picked on often as Manning threw for 458 yards and four TDs during the 49-24 win.

Not that these rookies are shying away from the challenge.

“He’s a great quarterback. You can’t take anything from that—just watching him as I was growing up, while I was in college and everything—he’s a great player,” said Cox, a fifth-round pick out of Oklahoma State. “I’ve just got to be ready for everything.”

Bailey’s motivation to get back is rooted more in manning the corner than facing Manning.

“My pride makes me want to get out there anyway, I don’t care who we’re playing,” Bailey said. “Everybody wants to say that Peyton makes you want to play, but it’s not about him, it’s just about me—my pride.”

Should his heel be ready, Bailey may be covering Reggie Wayne(notes), who has more catches (546) and yards receiving (7,689) than any other receiver in the league since 2004.

It’s a potential matchup that Bailey is relishing.

“That’s one thing that doesn’t get all the credit—the receivers that he has,” Bailey said. They all run great routes, they’re all on the same page all the time. You can give a little bit of that credit to Peyton for getting them ready, but those guys are hungry and Reggie Wayne is definitely one of the best out there. It’s going to be a workload for us.”

Defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale has been ardently scheming this week, attempting to uncover what so many of his colleagues have failed to find in the past: A way to slow down Manning.

Asked tongue-in-cheek if this was an easy week for him, Martindale replied: “Are you serious?”

“When you play Peyton Manning, the stress level goes up in every situation because he’s so good at what he does,” Martindale said. “It’s almost like you have to hurry up and get in the locker room at halftime, because he’s going to hurry up and come back out after halftime.”

Martindale’s approach won’t be to trip up Manning with different looks or throw gimmicky formations at him.

Manning is immune to that.

“I think you’re being a gimmick to yourself if you think you can gimmick him, because he’ll find it,” Martindale said. “The challenge of it is playing with discipline and knowing that there’s no gimmicks that are going to beat him.”

The Broncos had moderate success last December in corralling Manning during a 28-16 loss.

That is, after he threw three quick TD passes in jumping out to a 21-0 lead.

He did throw three interceptions, with Brian Dawkins(notes) picking off two.

“You have to be on your Ps and Qs regardless, because he’s, if not the best, one of the best to have ever played the game,” Dawkins said. “Every professional athlete should enjoy going against the best.”

Martindale certainly is, even if it’s producing stressful days.

“I don’t want to play against him 16 straight games,” he said. “But everybody that’s a competitor likes to be in these situations.”

Notes: The Broncos are hoping to have the right side of their offensive line back Sunday. But tackle Ryan Harris(notes) (ankle) didn’t practice Thursday and guard Chris Kuper(notes) (knee) participated only on a limited basis. … LB Wesley Woodyard(notes) (hamstring) went through practice on a limited basis.

DenBronx
09-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I wonder if Bailey/coach are hyping this heel injury up a bit to help catch Manning off his guard. To get him to actually throw at him. Could be a brilliant plan...very Belli-cheat like.

turftoad
09-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Man, where is Alphonzo Smith when you need him. :heh: :heh:

dogfish
09-23-2010, 09:56 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16154289?source=rsssimplepiebroncos

If they were playing, say, the quarterback-challenged Chicago Bears of the late 1960s, Broncos cornerbacks Champ Bailey and Andre' Goodman might be too gimpy to play Sunday.

But nothing rushes the healing process of pass defenders like a game against Peyton Manning.

Bailey (heel) and Goodman (thigh) will miss their second consecutive practice today. But all indications are they are getting pushed in the trainer's room and conditioning center in hopes they can play when the Broncos host Manning and the Indianapolis Colts at Invesco Field at Mile High.

if this is true, nothing could be more stupid, foolish and just plain wrong. . . :tsk:

DenBronx
09-23-2010, 11:21 PM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Facing the Colts without their two starting cornerbacks is hardly what the Broncos want, but the possibility looms larger after Champ Bailey and Andre Goodman sat out a second consecutive days of practice with heel and thigh injuries, respectively.

“Both of them are doing better,” Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said “We’re certainly not ruling anybody out of the game.”

Bailey acknowledged Thursday that he has yet to run on the heel, which he injured in the second half of last Sunday’s 31-14 win over the Seattle Seahawks, but said it is nevertheless improving.

“You saw me after the (Seahawks) game and I was on crutches. I’m walking now and improving every day,” he said.

Whether the Pro Bowler plays could depend on his pain tolerance.

“There’s ways to make it feel a little better but obviously once you’re running around, you still have put pressure on the foot and that part of the foot,” Bailey said.

“It’s one of those things where if I can tolerate it, I’m out there.”

DARCEL McBATH PRACTICED for a second consecutive day, and given the injuries in the secondary and the Broncos’ ongoing issues on kick coverage, his return couldn’t have come at a more opportune time.

“He plays a lot of different roles for us on defense and special teams,” McDaniels said. “Against a team like (the Colts), you need your defensive backs to play well and you need everybody that can be productive in the kicking game.

“It’s important for us to have him back.”

HARRIS RETURNS TO SIDELINE: After working on a limited basis Wednesday, right tackle Ryan Harris was not on the field as the Broncos began practice Thursday, placing his chances of returning for Sunday’s game at Indianapolis into question.

HARRIS: ... sat out Thursday.
While Harris was not on the field, right guard Chris Kuper was, practicing for a second consecutive day after missing the Week 2 win over Seattle with foot and ankle injuries.

If Kuper plays Sunday and Harris does not, it would give the Broncos the same offensive line that they started at Jacksonville on Sep. 12, as well as a unit that had first-teamers at four of five spots. Zane Beadles is listed on the depth chart as the backup to Harris and has started each of the Broncos’ two regular-season games to date at right tackle.

LINEBACKER WESLEY WOODYARD returned to practice Thursday after sitting out Wednesday’s work. Woodyard missed the Seattle game with an ankle injury.

Nose tackle Jamal Williams was not on the field at the start of practice after working fully Wednesday and not being listed on the injury report. But It should be noted that Williams also did not practice last Thursday leading up to the Seattle game.

THE SCOUT-TEAM EXPERIMENT of using cornerback Cassius Vaughn and safety David Bruton at defensive end to simulate the speed of Colts ends Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney went “excellent,” McDaniels said.

“Our linemen and tight ends weren’t too happy about it most of practice, but I’d rather have it that way now and then try to get used to it during the course of the week so it’s not such a shock on Sunday,” McDaniels said.

Both did well, but Vaughn, who last played defensive end in his pee-wee days, appeared to take a particular shine to the role.

“Cassius Vaughn is on his way to a black jersey,” McDaniels said.

“After watching tape yesterday, he’d like that,” added defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale.

DenBronx
09-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Well heck give the guy a shot of cortizone, drain the fluids, wrap that junk, put in some dr scholls foot pads, pop a couple of pain meds and let him go.

A 60% Bailey is better than anything we got.

dogfish
09-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Well heck give the guy a shot of cortizone, drain the fluids, wrap that junk, put in some dr scholls foot pads, pop a couple of pain meds and let him go.

even an 80% bailey isn't worth risking him aggravating it and being out for an extended period. . . with our OL trying to stop freeney and mathis and our non-existent pass rush vs. manning, i'd so much rather just take our lumps now and preseve the ability to be competitive going forward. . .

i can deal with losing to indy-- i don't wanna make it worse if we end up losing champ for a big chunk of the season. . .

i mean, if the medical staff feels he isn't at any risk of doing further damage and it's just a matter of pain tolerance, then by all means. . . i don't think the exact nature of the injury was ever revealed, was it? it says heel. . . if it's a bone bruise then cool, but if we're talking about some type of partial tear to connective tissue in there, f'n leave it alone before it becomes chronic! don't let a minor thing that can heal completely with some rest turn into something like plantar fasciatis, that can dog an athlete for extended periods of time. . . it's just not worth the risk over one or two games, especially a game like this where we're significant underdogs to begin with. . .

and that's NOT "giving up". . . it's the coaching staff's job to be prudent and manage their resources, namely players. . .

DenBronx
09-23-2010, 11:38 PM
even an 80% bailey isn't worth risking him aggravating it and being out for an extended period. . . with our OL trying to stop freeney and mathis and our non-existent pass rush vs. manning, i'd so much rather just take our lumps now and preseve the ability to be competitive going forward. . .

i can deal with losing to indy-- i don't wanna make it worse if we end up losing champ for a big chunk of the season. . .

i mean, if the medical staff feels he isn't at any risk of doing further damage and it's just a matter of pain tolerance, then by all means. . . i don't think the exact nature of the injury was ever revealed, was it? it says heel. . . if it's a bone bruise then cool, but if we're talking about some type of partial tear to connective tissue in there, f'n leave it alone before it becomes chronic! don't let a minor thing that can heal completely with some rest turn into something like plantar fasciatis, that can dog an athlete for extended periods of time. . . it's just not worth the risk over one or two games, especially a game like this where we're significant underdogs to begin with. . .

and that's NOT "giving up". . . it's the coaching staff's job to be prudent and manage their resources, namely players. . .

Bailey said his pride is on the line on this game.

I think he'll play through the pain on this one.

How often to you hear of a tear in the heel? Very rarely. I thinks it's just bruised.

Shazam!
09-24-2010, 01:29 AM
They need them both on the field if theyre to have any chance of winning.

I love Champ, what he brings and what he does, but the fact is he's running out of time. He's spent the past few years banged up.

Jaws
09-24-2010, 02:45 AM
If there's any chance he aggravates this injury and it affects him for the whole season, I'd much rather he sits this one out so that he's healthy to contribute in games where there is a better chance of winning.

rcsodak
09-24-2010, 08:13 AM

And possibly set him back? Not worth it, imo. Manning will eat him up! Let him sit and get better for when he can actally HELP.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
09-24-2010, 08:19 AM
They need them both on the field if theyre to have any chance of winning.

I love Champ, what he brings and what he does, but the fact is he's running out of time. He's spent the past few years banged up.
cmon, shaz. Everybody gets knicked. He himself says his longterm plan is 3-4 more yrs at cb....and he'd be open to FS after that. Or is revis running out of time too? ;-)
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums