PDA

View Full Version : Ex-teammate suspects foul play in death of Broncos' McKinley

T.K.O.
09-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Ex-teammate suspects foul play in death of Broncos' McKinleyNFL.com Wire Reports
Published: Sept. 23, 2010 at 08:35 a.m. Updated: Sept. 23, 2010 at 03:44 p.m. Liked: 0 | Comments: 124 Email Like Print Read Discuss

A former Denver Broncos teammate of Kenny McKinley isn't buying the wide receiver's cause of death.

Giants cornerback D.J. Johnson told the New York Post he doesn't believe McKinley committed suicide but suspects foul play because of what he described as a dangerous climate for pro athletes in Denver.

"Something fishy went down there," Johnson told the newspaper without providing any details. "I don't think it happened the way they're saying it happened. Somebody did something to him."

Police in Arapahoe County, Colo., have said McKinley, who was who was found dead Monday, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, adding that he had been depressed after having season-ending knee surgery last month.

That McKinley would even consider taking his life surprised the mother of his infant son, Keon.

Shayla Lites said she spoke with McKinley last week because their son was going to visit his father in Denver.

She knew McKinley was bothered that a second knee operation would keep him from playing for the Broncos this season. "But it's not anything he hadn't felt and overcome before," Lites told The Associated Press by telephone Thursday.

McKinley visited South Carolina two weeks ago, bringing Keon with him to South Carolina's 17-6 victory over Georgia on Sept. 11. McKinley was the Gamecocks' all-time leader in receptions (207).

Lites believed having Keon in Denver with him would take McKinley's mind off the injury. "Kenny always enjoyed being with Keon," Lites said.

Johnson said he can't believe McKinley would commit such an act with his son so close by him.

For more on the Denver Broncos, check out the latest from our bloggers.

» Blog Blitz: Broncos
"He lived for his son," Johnson said.

Lites, 25, is a South Carolina graduate and currently is studying pharmacy at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. She said she hasn't spoken with Colorado authorities about McKinley's death.

"I just hope they finish the investigation soon," Lites said. "They owe it to Kenny and to Keon."

Lites said she was attracted to McKinley's personality, much like most of his coaches, teammates and fans were. Keon has a similar smile and attitude, his mother said.

Keon doesn't understand the tragedy unfolding around him, Lites said. She already has thought about what she might tell her son when he begins asking about his father.

"I guess I'll try and talk about Kenny's life and not the end," she said.

T.K.O.
09-23-2010, 03:47 PM
i have wondered about the part where the people who found him said that they checked on him at about 1 pm and decided to let him sleep then went back at about 3 pm and pulled down the sheets to find he was dead?
the really strange thing is ,if someone shoots themselves in the head, i would think the sheets would not have been over his head and that there would have been blood visible when they first looked in on him:confused:
i'm not trying tyo start a conspiracy theory or in anyway dissrespect kenny...but it all does seem really strange

Northman
09-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Carol actually put this article in the McKinley thread mate.

T.K.O.
09-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Carol actually put this article in the McKinley thread mate.

oops my bad.
oh well maybe with all the discussion about keeping the other thread more for memorials.i will leave this one up for a bit:salute:

I Eat Staples
09-23-2010, 05:35 PM
i have wondered about the part where the people who found him said that they checked on him at about 1 pm and decided to let him sleep then went back at about 3 pm and pulled down the sheets to find he was dead?
the really strange thing is ,if someone shoots themselves in the head, i would think the sheets would not have been over his head and that there would have been blood visible when they first looked in on him:confused:
i'm not trying tyo start a conspiracy theory or in anyway dissrespect kenny...but it all does seem really strange

I thought this too. Shooting in the head isn't like it seems on TV, there's going to be blood everywhere and it most likely will smell. Maybe they were high or something and didn't notice, but I hope they continue to investigate.

LRtagger
09-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Giants cornerback D.J. Johnson told the New York Post he doesn't believe McKinley committed suicide but suspects foul play because of what he described as a dangerous climate for pro athletes in Denver.

What exactly does this mean? :confused:

camdisco24
09-23-2010, 08:54 PM

I was wondering the same thing... It actually came up in McD's press conference today but he kind of gave a vague answer... I've never even heard of the issue before so it may just be that guys opinion. To me, that would be a very big concern if its true.

Buff
09-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Sounds like denial to me. I suspect the Sheriff's department approaches every shooting death as a potential homicide until proven otherwise.

dogfish
09-23-2010, 09:29 PM

it means dude is having a hard time accepting what happened, pretty much. . .

Ravage!!!
09-23-2010, 09:31 PM

means he feels that Denver is a dangerous place for athletes to be.

milehigh
09-23-2010, 09:35 PM

The only thing I can think of is the Darrent Williams shooting, can't think of any other instance where it would apply.

He is probably shocked like everyone close to McKinley that he would take his own life and is thinking of anything else to blame but Kenny.

Northman
09-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Sean Taylor, McNair, etc. But again, those things can happen to anybody not just celebrities. But with all the glamour and bling they are magnets for drama and what not.

jhildebrand
09-23-2010, 10:32 PM
if someone shoots themselves in the head, i would think the sheets would not have been over his head

Unless he already had the sheets over his head when he shot himself.

I am willing to bet they did a gun shot residue test on his hand to verify. If not the details will come out validating suicide i.e. a note or something.

KCL
09-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Unless he already had the sheets over his head when he shot himself.

I am willing to bet they did a gun shot residue test on his hand to verify. If not the details will come out validating suicide i.e. a note or something.

I would think that would be one of the first things they did...how else would they even call it a suicide?

Elevation inc
09-24-2010, 03:30 AM
it was only a matter of time...quick lets get CSI on the case....lol

LRtagger
09-24-2010, 09:17 AM
means he feels that Denver is a dangerous place for athletes to be.

well, obviously...but based on what?

Denver is not a dangerous city. It's not like the Broncos organization presents its players with a dangerous or overly stressful environment.

I know the guy is just grasping at straws to justify his friend's death, but I would like to see him elaborate on that statement.

rcsodak
09-24-2010, 09:33 AM
There's a lot of gangbanger raider fans?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
09-24-2010, 09:40 AM
To be fair, how difficult would it be to make a high person hold a gun to his head and pull the trigger.....if somebody is holding another gun up to his head? Or saying if he doesn't do it , that the "kid gets it".
Regardless, without a witness/confession, it is what it is. GOD rest his soul.

Bosco
09-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Unless he has some substantial and verifiable information to add, D.J Johnson should shut his damn mouth and let the authorities handle the issue. I'm pretty sure this isn't the first suicide that Arapahoe County has investigated and doubt they need help from an NFL cornerback who is a thousand miles away.

KCL
09-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Unless he has some substantial and verifiable information to add, D.J Johnson should shut his damn mouth and let the authorities handle the issue. I'm pretty sure this isn't the first suicide that Arapahoe County has investigated and doubt they need help from an NFL cornerback who is a thousand miles away.

Go kick his ass!!!!

Ravage!!!
09-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Sometimes people just can't accept that a friend or loved one woudl end their own life and just believe it HAD to be someone else.

Ravage!!!
09-24-2010, 04:40 PM
To be fair, how difficult would it be to make a high person hold a gun to his head and pull the trigger.....if somebody is holding another gun up to his head? Or saying if he doesn't do it , that the "kid gets it".
Regardless, without a witness/confession, it is what it is. GOD rest his soul.

I think you and DJ Johnson have been watching too many movies ;)

KCL
09-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Sometimes people just can't accept that a friend or loved one woudl end their own life and just believe it HAD to be someone else.

I was thinking the same thing but no need for anyone to badmouth the guy..he obviously is hurting about this.

scott.475
09-24-2010, 07:31 PM
I've seen the aftermath of a fair number of suicides, even been to a few between the time the attempt was made and the time the person died, very ugly to see that.

That being said, it is not unheard of that the person would try to make the discovery as easy on the family as possible. The way I read the reports, he may have been using the pillow to muffle the sound so the people in the house did not hear it. He may have been dead before the ladies left the house to go to the store. Also, if someone commits suicide with a semi-auto, it is not at all unusual for the gun to jam on the empty cartridge, since the rigidity in the wrist is now gone and there is nothing to keep the energy concentrated on the cycling of the slide. It would be even more like to jam if a pillow or blankets are there to interfere with the slide. As far as blood being "everywhere" from a headshot, maybe or maybe not, a lot of things come into play. If his head is under a pillow, the material may well absorb or divert the blood down onto the mattress. The blood will only flow for as long as the heart beats, if the head were slightly elevated, a lot more blood would be left the body, etc. The nature of the wounds are quite telling as well. Suicides are generally contact wounds, homicide wounds may or may not be. It also needs to be noted that, at suicides, it is not unusual for family or loved ones to manipulate the scene, not maliciously, but to make it more sensible in the mental state they are in at the time. There are many other factors that can be considered as well.

I am not saying I know what happened, but from what I have read I would feel 99.9% sure it is what they say it is.

I am not saying I support Johnson's statements at all, but I am empathetic of someone trying to make sense out of something so tragic.