PDA

View Full Version : 24ChampBailey's 7/27 report

Italianmobstr7
07-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Hello Training Camp junkies,

Got to dove valley a little later than usual, got there about 7:30-7:45. Figured there wouldn't be many people and I was right. It got to be an average crowd later, but some hardcore fans in the crowd. They constantly cheered our players on. So it was average sized, which is fine with me, more leg room and less babies/kids to deal with. There was a kid sitting behind me, well behaved. So I think the father deserves a medal or something. Kinda sucked today without Apa, Kahn, Oskie. Didn't see Clady's cousin either...thank god.

Anywho, it was a good practice. Lots of people improved and the defense is definitely going to be teeing off this season. Lots of blitzing from everywhere, corners were coming in, safetys flying after Cutler...you name it.Quite effective. Led to a lot of turnovers.

Anyway here is my report and some pics to follow later when I upload them from Photobucket...

Offense

Quarterbacks

Jay Cutler- Hooked up a lot with Scheff, Marshall, Stokely. Seems that he has worked on distributing the ball around today instead of focusing on just Marshall and Scheff. So progress is being made there. Also worked on timing with the recievers on the other field while Hackney and Ramsey were helping run the running offense on our side of the field. So a pretty solid day, the only downside today was that he fumbled a snap towards the end of practice and on the next play defense came flying in and "sacked him".

Darrel Hackney- Maybe it's just me but he got a lot more reps today. Wasn't as good as yesterday. Was pretty average. Some good throws and some bad ones.

Patrick Ramsey. Second day in a row where he was not very good. He just doesn't look the same from the first day. Don't know what it is...

Running Backs-

Selvin Young- Looked very good today, second best running back out there today. Catches very well in the open field and his cut back is much improved.

Michael Pittman- He sucked today, dropped passes, fumbled. Everything you don't want a Running Back doing...Pittman did. Not a good day for him.

Ryan Torain- I was happy to see Torain finally see and run through the holes. The last couple practices he was just running into walls. Today he found the hole and ran with AUTHORITY. He and Selvin were the best RBs today, definitely can see a 1-2 punch here.

Andre Hall- Got more reps today and ran very well. Could be a decent 3rd running back option, maybe even #2. He was returning the kick-offs and wasn't too bad either on those.

Aldridge- Kid definitely has a ton of speed. Did some half back toss where Aldridge would run to the sideline and from there he would turn on the boosters and take off. Impressive day for the kid, even a couple times drew some applause for the long gains he did.

Payton Hillis- Wasn't his best day, he started out very cold. Dropping passes. Still effective on the block. Towards the end of practice he had a catch or two. Again not his best day and wasn't the best fullback today.

Cecil Sapp- Whoa....um he definitely read my reports on him. Sapp finally got in gear and was catching a lot of passes. Didn't see how he did on the block but he never dropped a pass. Pretty good day for him.

Wide Receivers

Brandon Marshall- From what I can see, the rust is wearing off and he is slowly becoming the Brandon Marshall we know he is. He was all business today and took Champ to school on one play. Great day for him.

Glenn Martinez- Couple dropped passes, but there were one or two occasions where he did get separation. He was pretty average.

Eddie Royal- There was one time he had a very nice catch in the middle of the field. Some improvement over yesterday when he was doing drills with Jay on the other side of the field when they were working on timing drills.

Darrell Jackson- D-Jack is going to be a nice option to have on this team. I see why Oskie is high on him. He didn't make any dazzling plays, but he did the small stuff right. Running the right routes and didn't drop many passes.

Keary Colbert- Not a good day, he did have one nice catch at the end of practice with the third team. But that was about it. He tried to separate and get open but couldn't do it. Dropped a couple passes.

Brandon Stokely- He was money today. Didn't drop a single pass. Dove and caught a pass. Drawing cheers from the crowd. He made another great catch jumping up for one with his arms fully extended in the air. He was the best performing receiver today.

Clifford Russell- Seems to be making marginal progress on the field. I don't think with his rate of improvement he will make the club. He returned kickoffs and had a catch. Minimal day for him.

Marquay McDaniel- Second day in a row where he wasn't noticeable.

Taylor Jacobs- Was nowhere to be seen, I know he was one of the first people out on the field but didn't see him at all.

Tight Ends

Tony Scheffler- This guy just gets better and better...definitely see a lot of promise from him for this season. Scheff was getting great separation and caught very well. He also drew cheers, however he missed a ball and bounced off him, leading to an INT.

Nate Jackson- The only time I noticed Nate, actually one of the two times. The first time, I see Nate going for a catch and he leaps for it....hits the ground and was somewhat slow getting up. I was like "aw s*** he is injured" but he got up and was fine. The second time I saw him was when he lined up next to Harris and actually did a decent job of blocking. I think I have a pic of that. I'll look for it after this...

Brett Pierce- Got some more reps today, didn't see much of him as far as catches and stuff like that.

Chad Mustard- Didn't see him.

Daniel Graham- He keeps improving, but didn't get the separation he needs. Did adequate on catching and did well on blocking. Typical Graham.

Offensive Line

Ryan Clady- I didn't focus on him as I have the last two practices. I know and I apologize, but I am more concerned with the right side where Harris is. Get to that in a bit.

Erik Pears- Held his ground.

Tom Nalen- Was Tom Nalen again.

Montrae Holland- TFTP...and was seen after practice eating Jenny Craig.

Chris Kuper- My first thought was GEEZUS, the cast on his hand/arm. Was huge, but amazingly it didn't look like it effected him whatsoever.

Ryan Harris- He improved very little, which is not saying much from yesterday. He still looked like crap. Becoming a little bit concerned about his play. Hopefully some people in the media read this board and ask Shanny wtf is up with Harris.

Ben Hamilton- Did a lot better than yesterday, which is nice to see.

Polumbus- Mainly only watched him because Crowder was lined up on the opposite side of him, he is alright for what he is which is camp body/depth. However kept getting pushed around by Crowder. He needs to work on footing or strength....or both. The reason I say that is because he seems to be backing up towards Cutler and not pushing his opponent away from the ball.

That's about it for the offense......defense next.

Italianmobstr7
07-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Defense

Defensive Line-

Dwayne Robertson- Didn't see him.

Jarvis Moss- Improving everyday and everyday he is pretty much the last one to leave the field.

Marcus Thomas- Didn't see him much, but when I did he was working on drills.

Elvis Dumervil- Didn't see him much, probably has to do with Clady stopping him in his tracks.

John Engleberger- Continues to do very well, he was out there on the field right when I showed up which was 7:30 or so. A full 45 minutes, hour before practice began just working on technique stuff. Continues to make Harris his b*tch.

Ekuban- Saw him working on some defensive line drills, but he wasn't noticeable during scrimmage...much like Thomas.

Steven Harris- Saw him on special teams mostly, I believe he tweaked his knee a little bit. I ran into him after practice and asked what's wrong, he said he is just banged up and walked to the office near the Broncos pro shop. Which I am guessing is the health/trainers office?

Josh Mallard- He plays like there is no tomorrow.

Kenny Peterson- Noticed him on the field a lot more than yesterday, but as far as plays...didn't see any from him.

Tim Crowder- Ok yeah, Requiem...I payed special attention to this guy just for you.

He did well today, but he was going up against Polumbus, he has a lot of power though. Pushing Polumbus back. Needs to use better techniques of getting around the tackle. I expect him to improve through camp.

Linebackers-

DJ Williams- Continues to fly around. Looks very comfortable out there, unlike where he played last year. Even though he isn't mike anymore. He still seems to be the leader on defense.

Niko Koutouvides- I am not impressed by Niko. He is good in run support and tackling, but absolutely is not good in coverage. He doesn't look comfortable out there...not a good sign.

Boss Bailey- This guy can close in, much like his brother. He is very athletic and it showed on one play where he close in on Graham and swatted a pass away. It was a good showing for Boss today.

Nate Webster- He may not be the best Mike on the planet, but I see that he communicates very well with DJ and Boss. He got a lot of reps on first team defense, actually all his reps were with first team defense. Did pretty well on coverage drills, unlike Niko.

Jamie Winborn- Didn't see a lot of him, but on coverage drills he did very well. He was like white on rice on somebody...think it was Pittman. Not 100 percent sure, but he was impressive on the coverage drills.

Larsen- Was back today. He played mostly on third team defense. Did fine in the scrimmages. Still has a lot to learn. Also played on kick return team.

Secondary

Champ Bailey- Today wasn't his best day, but a lot of corners would gladly have this kind of performance. Got juked by Marshall and was pissed at himself. I remember he came in on a blitz and forced the QB to act quickly.

Dominique Foxworth- Since camp started. Consistency would be the word I would use to describe foxworth. Not many mistakes by him today.

Karl Paymah- Didn't notice him much today.

Dre Bly- Consistent, played much like yesterday. I'm going to chalk day 1 up as a rusty day for him. He seems to be getting better every day.

JMFW- Did well on his assignments, was always on his receiver. Also did some special teams work.

John Lynch- He didn't do too well on coverage drills, Scheff blew by him quite easily.

Hamza- I didn't see Hamza much today, but I couldn't tell if it was him or Roderick Rogers that got an interception off Scheff...

Roderick Rogers- See above.

Lamont "number 31" Reid- Who is 31? *paper crinkles* oh Lamont Reid. Yeah he came in on a blitz and successfully got to the QB. Bout the only time I saw 31 do anything.

Marquand Manuel- Did well, the only times I noticed this guy was when he was in the QBs face. I was like "whoa where did this guy come from?" Somebody didn't pick him up.

Josh Barrett- Saw him on a few plays, and he did well. Everyone says he is slow, but he did fine on coverage.

Marlon McCree- Wasn't noticeable much today.

Special Teams-

Special teams worked on kickoffs and kick returns. Royal, Andre Hall, Martinez all returned kicks. Andre Hall being the most impressive of the three, IMO. Royal has the speed for sure, but needs to do a better job picking his holes to run through. Prater kicked off well, and then they let the Punters do some punting. While the punters were kicking the ball, Prater actually lined up on special teams, probably just helping out. He can run well for kicker though.

Bret Kern/ Prater looks like they will both be our guys for the season. Paulescu I don't see much of anything from.

SR
07-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Good write ups. I'd be interested to know how well we're kicking FGs.