PDA

View Full Version : Restoring The Crush

WARHORSE
07-27-2008, 05:19 AM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0726/20080726__20080727_C01_SP27FBNBRONXDLINEGRAF~p1_30 0.JPG (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10003209)
There was a time last season when Tim Crowder appeared ready to cradle the rest of his 2007 draft class into his strong arms and run with it.
That's what the Broncos' rookie defensive end did with a Ben Roethlisberger fumble before a "Monday Night Football" audience in late October. Crowder picked up the ball at midfield and raced untouched to the end zone, the key score in the Broncos' 31-28 victory. In games 9-11, Crowder had at least one sack in each, the first time a Bronco defender put together a three-game sack streak since 2004. With first-round draft pick Jarvis Moss out because of season-ending ankle surgery, third-round offensive tackle Ryan Harris playing sparingly after preseason back surgery, and fourth-round defensive

tackle Marcus Thomas gradually easing into playing time, Crowder was becoming the pride of the class of 2007.

He was making plays, getting sacks, and — poof! — Crowder seemingly disappeared. He made just one sack in the final five games, and didn't make the tackle chart in two of the final three.
"Of the three (rookie defensive linemen), I thought Tim really flashed in the early part of the season," Broncos defensive line coach Bill Johnson said. "He really flashed and consequently, he was the first one to run into a wall."
An amiable sort, Crowder chuckled in agreement at his coach's assessment.
"I came on pretty quick," he said. "Making some plays. Next thing you know, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I couldn't recover from it. I didn't know what was wrong. I was meeting with coaches: 'What's the matter?' "
Face it, the Broncos' defensive line was abysmal last season. This was evident whenever the opposing quarterback handed off the ball. For much of the 2007 season, the defense ranked last in the NFL against the run, and although it improved in the second half, it finished 30th. If the Broncos are to improve their defense this year, they will need considerably better play from their defensive
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0726/20080726__20080727_C05_SP27DLINE2~p1_200.JPG (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=2036472 ) The Broncos' defensive linemen work on a timing drill to get off the ball quicker during Friday's training camp practice at Dove Valley. The team is looking for vast improvement from the unit, especially from the talented Class of 2007, led by Tim Crowder, and veterans Dewayne Robertson and Ebenezer Ekuban. ( Andy Cross, The Denver Post )

line. And while the addition of free-agent veteran Dewayne Robertson and a return to health for Ebenezer Ekuban should help, the key to the Broncos' defensive line of 2008 is the continued development from the draft class of 2007.

"That's fair. Go ahead and put that on us," Moss said. "It's a brand new year. We've all grown and matured in the past year. I believe in my heart we are ready to take that next step."
Ready to go in 2008
Looking back, 2007 wasn't a great year for the class of 2007. Moss, a pass-rushing force for the national champion Florida Gators, made just one sack. His terrific speed was negated by a 6-foot-6, 250-pound frame that struggled to penetrate those 300-pound, twinkle-toed left tackles.
"It was more their technique," Moss said of NFL blockers. "They're always in the right spot."
The broken ankle ended Moss' season before fatigue could set in, but Crowder and Thomas were not spared the rookie wall. Thomas had missed most of his senior season at Florida for disciplinary reasons, so he was far from being in NFL shape when he arrived at Dove Valley.
He started the final five games as the Broncos made the decision to play for the future, but by then, Thomas didn't have his legs.
"I remember after Game 6 thinking, we've played 10 games already counting preseason," Thomas said. "I was like, 'Man, we've got 10 more games to go.' But this year is better than last year so I'm prepared. I feel a lot better coming into camp."
Adjusting to pro game
All NFL rookies struggle with the volume of preparation. In college, there's one practice, one meeting and games until Thanksgiving. In the NFL, there's a meeting, followed by a walk-through, another meeting, practice, another meeting and games until Thanksgiving — which are followed by five more games and five more weeks of practices and meetings.
It takes a year for a player to condition himself not only physically, but mentally for the drudgery. The Broncos believe Moss' injury could turn into a long-term benefit because extended rehab gave him time to gain much needed strength. He said he recently bench-pressed 325 pounds three times after not being able to hoist 300 last year.
Thomas went from doing virtually no conditioning entering the draft last year to recording 100 percent attendance at the Broncos' offseason strength and conditioning program this year.
Crowder is much more relaxed, comforted in knowing the rookie wall is behind him and not feeling overwhelmed by the workday ahead.
"I think all three of them have made the necessary adjustments," Johnson said. "First of all, let's be honest: It's not easy playing three rookies. You have to, and you have to survive. But the fact all three played as rookies, that's a big advantage for us as we go forward. "I don't know where we're at on the defensive line. I do know this: I feel so much more comfortable this year."

gobroncsnv
07-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Man, do we need to not only hear stuff like this, but see it proven in game time. The Giants showed us what a SB can look like if you have a great dline (I may have to add the Giants to my list of favored teams because of how they made Brady look stupid!) I have been wanting to see a better front wall since 1998. I don't want an either/or when it comes to pass rush vs run D. We can, and HAVE to have both. Shanny's finally paying attention to this area in the draft may just pay off. This may prove to be one more developmental year, but we should be really good here if our trend continues.

WARHORSE
07-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Man, do we need to not only hear stuff like this, but see it proven in game time. The Giants showed us what a SB can look like if you have a great dline (I may have to add the Giants to my list of favored teams because of how they made Brady look stupid!) I have been wanting to see a better front wall since 1998. I don't want an either/or when it comes to pass rush vs run D. We can, and HAVE to have both. Shanny's finally paying attention to this area in the draft may just pay off. This may prove to be one more developmental year, but we should be really good here if our trend continues.

During the Indianapolis game last year, Jarvis started the game at DT to hopefully put more pressure on Peyton. We ended up seeing the same thing from Justin Tuck in the superbowl.

I like this cast of characters. Moss has his head on straight, and barring injury I only think he can get better.

Crowder is heavier, stronger and faster than Moss, but doesnt quite have as much explosiveness as Jarvis.

These guys have been getting strong during the offseason.

.......it will help them tremendously.

We'll be fine.

honz
07-27-2008, 12:03 PM
If Jarvis Moss can perform half as well as I make him perform in the Superstar mode of Madden, then we will be in good hands.:D

These guys seem to be saying and doing the right things in attempt to become better players, but only time will tell if it translates to the field on Sundays. Personally, I think it will.

silkamilkamonico
07-27-2008, 12:05 PM
I'll need to see the results on the field before I start feeling better about our defense. They still scare the hell out of me, and not the mega yards giving up every game, but the inability to get off the field, which leads to the offenses 6+ minute drives, which prevents our offense from being out on the field.

I think I'd be happier if they just let the other team score right away.

WARHORSE
07-27-2008, 12:21 PM
I'll need to see the results on the field before I start feeling better about our defense. They still scare the hell out of me, and not the mega yards giving up every game, but the inability to get off the field, which leads to the offenses 6+ minute drives, which prevents our offense from being out on the field.

I think I'd be happier if they just let the other team score right away.

lol..........

We are the Broncos.

We're a bonified sleeper this year.:D

I like what Im hearing about the defense. If we stop the run........we will be a heckuva lot better team.