PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Turn to DBs to Mimic Speed of Mathis, Freeney

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2010, 06:07 PM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/09/22/broncos-turn-to-dbs-to-mimic-speed-of-mathis-freeney/#more-1308

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – The Broncos can’t replicate the speed of Colts defensive ends Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney with their defensive ends in practice. Frankly, no one can.

“It is difficult to simulate that,” Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Wednesday. “Really, nobody in football is the same as this team.”

That left McDaniels two choices: either accept that he couldn’t approximate their speed or come up with an unorthodox, creative solution. He chose the latter, announcing before practice that he would use defensive backs Cassius Vaughn and David Bruton as scout-team defensive ends.

“We’ll tell them to run because they are our two fastest guys,” McDaniels said. “That is about the best you can do in that regard.

“They are going to be spinning and they are going to be rushing and they are going to line up a yard offside too,” McDaniels said “Anything we can do to simulate it, that’s what we are going to try and do.”

FOR VAUGHN AND BRUTON that meant doing something they hadn’t done since they were in elementary school — if ever.

“Probably (not since) pee-wee league,” Vaughn said.

“I’ve never had my hand in the dirt before,” Bruton added. “I was asking a couple of the defensive linemen on how (Freeney) closes them out. I just started watching the spin move. So we’ll go out and see what happens in practice.”

Bull-rushing the tackles in practice is probably out; the 195-pound Vaughn weighs 50 pounds less than Mathis, while Freeney has 57 pounds on the 211-pound Vaughn.

“I think the speed-to-power (pass rush move) would be a little hard for me,” Vaughn said, “but I’ll do the best I can to give (the offensive tackles) the best work I can.

Added Bruton: “We’ll use whatever moves we might have. We both play gunner. We work on our hands all time, so if we get a chance, we’ll close them up, (use) speed-to-power — anything we see Freeney or Mathis do on film, we’ll try to emulate.”

They’ll even cheat, in a manner of speaking.

“They are going to be spinning and they are going to be rushing and they are going to line up a yard offside too,” McDaniels said “Anything we can do to simulate it, that’s what we are going to try and do.”

To their credit, Bruton and Vaughn were willing to accept pointers from their teammates on the front seven — which were willingly provided.

“We’re going to coach them up,” outside linebacker/defensive end Robert Ayers said.

DenBronx
09-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Interesting...

..that could really back fire on us though. We shouldn't be trying gimmick plays on defense against this team. It sounds like we have no real true game plan and we have resorted to safties putting their hands in the dirt trying to be Dumervil.

broncofaninfla
09-22-2010, 06:21 PM
I watched the news conference, have to say I liked what Mcd said in how they were going to get ready for Indi.

BroncoWave
09-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Interesting...

..that could really back fire on us though. We shouldn't be trying gimmick plays on defense against this team. It sounds like we have no real true game plan and we have resorted to safties putting their hands in the dirt trying to be Dumervil.

I think you misinterpreted. We're not using them at DE during the game. Just in practice to simulate the speed of Mathis and Freeney. Personally I think it's a pretty good idea.

BroncoWave
09-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I watched the news conference, have to say I liked what Mcd said in how they were going to get ready for Indi.

Agreed. My favorite part of what he said about their preparation was when he said that Manning always picks the best play to beat the current defense on the field, so in practice this week he will always pick the perfect play for the offense to beat the defense they are running so that the D will be prepared for that.

Italianmobstr7
09-22-2010, 06:39 PM
I think you misinterpreted. We're not using them at DE during the game. Just in practice to simulate the speed of Mathis and Freeney. Personally I think it's a pretty good idea.

It's a great idea. No way to mimmick the way Freeney and Mathis bring speed off of the edge, so this is the next best thing. I love this idea. McD is willing to think outside the box to try and win. That's what a good coach does.

gobroncsnv
09-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Seems pretty crafty to me... Not sure I would have advertised this gimmick, but nevertheless, gonna take more time and yarn SOMEhow to knit our oline together.... Try ANYthing, but especially against the 2 we're about to face. Would be cool if our run game came together this weekend, and there were tire marks all over Freeney's butt after the game.

LRtagger
09-22-2010, 06:48 PM
the 195-pound Vaughn weighs 50 pounds less than Mathis, while Freeney has 57 pounds on the 211-pound Vaughn.

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv252/ssj4raditz/lolwut.jpg

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2010, 06:48 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/A-Different-Preparation/ce17ec85-a2e6-40ce-804f-310fc890b37b

Head Coach Josh McDaniels said preparing for the Colts is different than a lot of teams in the league. For that reason, the team has implemented a few extra tweaks to practice this week.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Head Coach Josh McDaniels has faced the Indianapolis Colts at least once in each of the past seven seasons.

He has, by his estimation, thousands of pages of notes on how to prepare for their vaunted offense and attack their speedy defense.

He has seen how Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis and virtually every Indy playmaker operates.

And in the end, it only helps so much.

"It doesn't matter what we do in practice, we are not going to be able to simulate Freeney and Mathis, we are not going to be able to simulate exactly what Peyton is doing up there," McDaniels said. "You do the best you can with what you have and you try to get your players ready to go, but it's always an adjustment when you get into the first quarter against this team."

The Broncos recognize the challenge that awaits them on Sunday. The Colts are the reigning AFC Champions, and the Broncos nearly pulled off a road upset at Lucas Oil Stadium in Week 14 last season. Denver forced Manning into three interceptions and scored 16 straight points before eventually falling 28-16.

The team is plenty familiar with what Indianapolis brings to the table, so the goal for every practice this week is to mirror the intensity that will be on the field this weekend at INVESCO Field at Mile High.

"You basically have to prepare like (Manning) prepares," Joe Mays said. "You have to watch film all the time and you have to go out on the field and play like it's a game-day mode."

That started Wednesday, when the team began installing its game plan.

"It's a different preparation than other teams in a lot of ways," McDaniels said, highlighting Indy's no-huddle offense and speedy defense. "The whole tempo of the way they play is a change from the ordinary in terms of getting ready for most other teams in the league."

To that point, the team tried to throw a couple wrenches in the preparation of both the offense and the defense.

First, two of the speediest defenders on the team -- Cassius Vaughn and David Bruton -- lined up as scout team defensive ends to simulate the speed of Freeney and Mathis.

To prepare the defense, the coaches will essentially tell the offense what it's up against. If the defense has one call, the offense will call everything that beats that coverage. That's the only way to prepare for the Colts' Pro Bowl quarterback, since Manning has a tendency to read a defense and switch into the best play to beat it.

"If you have a defense and you say, 'Boy, I like that,' he's going to see it and change it," McDaniels said. "That's the challenge you have. You have to stop them, and you have to assume he knows what you are doing because you don't want to get into a game and try to trick this guy -- I don't think that works."

With the extra tweaks in practice and a game plan in place spearheaded by a coach who has seen as much of the Colts in recent years as anyone outside of the AFC South, the Broncos are confident they'll be ready for their Week 3 test.

"We're a lot more comfortable with our coaches knowing what (Manning) likes to do and giving us little certain tips here and there," Mays said. "We're comfortable, but we've got to go out and execute our game plan."

So while adjustments will be made as the game progresses, it still comes down to the work put in before kickoff on Sunday.

"It starts with preparation," Jarvis Moss said. "And today is day one."

INJURY REPORT

Champ Bailey (foot), Andre Goodman (thigh) and Wesley Woodyard (hamstring) did not participate in Wednesday's practice. Ryan Harris (ankle), Chris Kuper (knee), Laurence Maroney (thigh) and Darcel McBath (forearm) had limited participation in the session.

If Bailey and Goodman -- both of the team's starting cornerbacks -- aren't 100 percent by Sunday, Renaldo Hill said the rest of the secondary will have to step up.

"If it does happen, we just have to overemphasize the communication," he said. "Making sure everybody is on the (same) page before the ball is snapped and try to anticipate things that might happen -- motioning, shifting that could come up in the ball game so that everybody can go out there and play fast."

Rookie Perrish Cox, who snagged the first interception of his career last week against Seattle, said he's excited for the test.

"I love the challenge," he said. "It's going to be a big challenge -- I'll probably get more action this game because of what Manning does so I've just got to be ready for everything."

DenBronx
09-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Yeah I did. I reread it about 20 mins ago and found out it was being used just for a simulation during practice.

dogfish
09-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Yeah I did. I reread it about 20 mins ago and found out it was being used just for a simulation during practice.

hell, maybe we should give it a try during the game-- can't be any less effective than our current pass rush. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
09-22-2010, 10:27 PM
hell, maybe we should give it a try during the game-- can't be any less effective than our current pass rush. . .

No kidding, but even Peyton Manning could rush for 100 yds with Vaughn and Bruton playing on the D-line.

Lonestar
09-22-2010, 11:42 PM
No kidding, but even Peyton Manning could rush for 100 yds with Vaughn and Bruton playing on the D-line.

Neot so sure about that Button is a great tackler. It might not be a bad idea having all day to throw but having 6 DBs might be the way to go. He would never know who is coming or who is dropping back in coverage. Certainly. Would allow the other LBs to. Stay at home for the run and put a lot of folks into coverage Someone that a could actually cover some one unlike our current OLB's

Dog may have stumbled on to what they are realy doing. :salute::salute::salute:

dogfish
09-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Neot so sure about that Button is a great tackler. It might not be a bad idea having all day to throw but having 6 DBs might be the way to go. He would never know who is coming or who is dropping back in coverage. Certainly. Would allow the other LBs to. Stay at home for the run and put a lot of folks into coverage Someone that a could actually cover some one unlike our current OLB's

Dog may have stumbled on to what they are realy doing. :salute::salute::salute:

it's pretty much a given that your nickel and dime packages are going to be on the field a lot against indy, with all the three-wide sets they run. . . even playing the nickel against their base packages to keep a DB matched with clark is far from a revolutionary approach. . . the forehead has seen that plenty, and he knows how to beat it just like almost anything you can throw at him at this point. . . among other things, he'll kill you with draws. . .

really, there's just NOT all that much you can do schematically to beat the foreheads-- you have to have a lot of really good defensive players. . . we didn't have nearly enough to begin the year, and this week both of our best are on the shelf. . .

this week is the extreme example, but it does point out one of my issues with the way the defense is being built, at least to this point. . . we carry such a small number of true DLs, and all of them besides possibly marcus thomas are pure two-gap linemen. . . we don't have anybody that can line up at the three-technique and get consistent inside pressure-- which is the best and easiest way to bother virtually any quarterback, even the forehead. . .

because we rely on our LBs so heavily for pass rush, we're forced into using one and two down linemen looks as our only real rush packages. . . not that there's anything wrong with using those looks. . . the "muddle," with a number of rushbackers in two-point stances, is becoming more popular-- i believe rex ryan uses it sometimes-- but i hate the fact that we basically just don't have the personnel to be effective getting pressure from more conventional nickel and dime packages. . . it limits what you can do. . . those one and two DL fronts are very vulnerable to the run, which makes them dangerous to use in 3rd-and-medium-to-short situations-- but we don't have four down linemen who can provide any semblance of a pass rush, even with ayers and moss at the ends. . .

of course we'll be in better shape next year when we get doom back, but we'll still have a real need for a legit three-technique, IMO. . . even better if we could find a guy that also has some versatility to contribute as a situational pass rusher at five-technique-- a prospect like tyson alualu, or jared odrick. . . we truly NEED to start investing some high draft picks in the defensive front seven if this team is ever going to seriously contend, and the sooner the better. . . i hope that mcD's apparent love of versatility extends to drafting DLs. . . obviously, finding some better players to be starters in our base 34 is the top priority, but guys who can provide some greater schematic flexibility going forward should be at an absolute premium. . .

has anyone noticed who we've been playing at nickel 'backer besides DJ? has it been woodyard?

Lonestar
09-23-2010, 12:39 AM
I totally agree that DL has to be HIGH on the list next year. But then I have been saying that since 1999. The year we took AL IIRC. I know that neither HC has done much worthwhile about the DL ayers not really being a true DE but a OLB.

I think he will be a load soon and will complement doom next year.

IMO we need a major replacement at NT soon and a rush type DE would be nice as well as A monster MLB and safety. If we can pick those up next year in the off season we should be on our way to the playoffs and not be a one and done TEAM.

Time will tell about this years TEAM but I believe. We are trully 1-3 players away from being a damned fine TEAM.

As for this weekend. I do not see how we win this one without a near perfect game for everyone on our side of the LOS.

We are also need a bit of help from the refs,the FANs OR a fubar or two from INDY. They have way to many horses that have been together for a lot longer than we have.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
09-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Interesting...

I sincerely hope you're being fecitious.... :tsk:

SOCALORADO.
09-23-2010, 08:54 AM
I thought Ayers and Moss came from defenses that were more of a 4-3 with them playing strictly with a hand in the dirt? They cant simulate, even remotely, in practice, a pass rush?

rcsodak
09-23-2010, 02:02 PM
:tsk:

Rick
09-23-2010, 02:37 PM
I thought Ayers and Moss came from defenses that were more of a 4-3 with them playing strictly with a hand in the dirt? They cant simulate, even remotely, in practice, a pass rush?

They are trying to simulate the speed of the rush, not pass rushing in general. I'd imagine moss should get close but doubt ayers would.

MileHighCrew
09-23-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure how it will work but I love the creative. Now if only we had ANYONE that could prepare the D for Manning

gobroncsnv
09-23-2010, 07:10 PM
The Saints. Houston. Job 1 is not better DB's, but a stronger (better) Dline/front 7. And, OUR offense has to hold serve. Score EVERY time we have the ball. (so it's not really that hard, see?)

bcbronc
09-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Should be a good test for Clady and his knee. If 100% Clady is one of the few LTs in the game with the agility, size and strength to match up 1on1 with Freeney. We'll have a pretty good idea how recovered he is after Sunday.

I'm expecting a lot of 2 TE sets. Hopefully Quinn and Graham can knock some speed out of the F&M Express. Need a huge game from Moreno to hyave a chance though.